Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
I'm enjoying the game a ton, and I'm sure I'll like it a whole lot more when it's been fixed. There are only a couple of bugs that keep popping up for me (on PC), probably the most frequent is that after looting a bunch of items, the last item I picked up will constantly pop up over empty bodies, as if it's still there to loot, except I looted it 45 seconds ago and it's already in my inventory. Saving and reloading fixes it and returns the text over bodies to "Empty" so it's not a huge deal, but it makes cleaning up post-fight annoying. I'm just really glad the scanner and mini map mark off the bodies you haven't looted yet, that was a very good idea.

Other than the minor annoyances I'm still having a blast. Rerolled into hacking and katanas because that's loving rad, blitzed through Act 1 to open up the city, and now I've bought cyber legs and I'm motherfucking Batman (Who Also Murders).

The double-jump legs are cool but I feel like maybe I'm missing stuff or I'm in the wrong place to use them? I've mostly been running around the industrial area/big pagoda shopping center around Watson and so far all I've found are antennae you can't hack and HVAC units the size of small houses. There's also a number of places that it's pretty clear are not prepared to have you leaping around them (invisible walls, ladders you can't grab, etc)., but other posters have mentioned finding a bunch of cool stuff on rooftops and I want to see cool stuff too, damnit.

So basically, if I keep exploring rooftops will I find places I couldn't have reached without the legs, or does double jump just make it easier to get to places that would otherwise just be difficult? Any spoiler-free cool stuff I should be jumping up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Klisejo posted:

Double jump seemed to just gave me a few extra stealth paths during quests, I never really found anything exciting on rooftops as for exploration. Basically fence hopping, roof hopping, and vaulting behind enemies during gunfights.

Yeah so far the double jump has just been a time saver and a cool way to get around town. I've found a few access points on roofs but when I stopped and looked at them they would have definitely been accessible from the ground, it just would've taken longer.

I was hoping to find more hidden stuff but it's still cool to have.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Hey speaking of robo arms, is there any advantage to using Mantis Blades over an upgraded blade weapon? Other than the cool factor, of course, I just don't know how the damage scales.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Basic Chunnel posted:

They seem about on par with knives, for me, but are way gnarlier - which is to say that their attack rate, especially upgraded, is kind of insane. It's worth it if not just for the kind of cyborg power fantasy that everybody wanted when they revealed Adam Jensen's wrist blades. Pair with double jump and cold blood and it's as close as we'll come to a Wolverine sim, anyway.

Alright, you've sold me. I know what I'll be picking up tonight. Pretty sure I've got the credits already, too.

Just gotta find the right Doc for the job...

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

When I enter a building full of living people who kidnap innocents off the street, rip out their implants, torture them for fun, and film the whole thing to be resold later... and then I leave it 5 minutes later and it's no longer filled with those things?

Now that's a quest with a happy ending.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

v1ld posted:

I like how if the mission adds enemies after completion to block your way out you can see the vehicles they arrived in after you entered. Seems pretty consistent and is a neat detail.

Related story with no real spoilers, just a cool thing I saw:

I was walking around Night City during the day after I accidently lost my stolen motorcycle and managed to wander into Pacifica for the first time. I walked by a building that had clearly been fortified by a gang and didn't feel like engaging because I figured it was for a quest I would do later. As I passed by on the opposite side of the road, two cars drove up. I was mildly surprised because I hadn't seen any traffic at all in my short time in Pacifica (what with the roads being mostly blocked off and all) but I was even more surprised when the cars plowed into the makeshift fort and a bunch of gang members piled out and started shooting. I know it was entirely scripted and it was a very minor event, but for people complaining that everything in the world feels dead that was a pretty lively moment for me.

And then I katana'd everyone and took all their poo poo. The end.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Screaming in hyperbole is the only way to get noticed these days, and there's nothing more important than being noticed.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Some thoughts:

Mantis claws are cool but totally redundant if you have some other form of melee. I'm using katanas and immediately stopped using the mantis claws once I found a blade that was better. They're probably better for a Pistol/Assault focused build as a melee backup. If you're doing a melee-heavy run I'd like to suggest the launcher arm because it makes a wonderful party starter if you're not worried about stealth.

Also I'm playing on normal and the enemies at or below my level tend to die in 1-4 slashes, but I accidentally wandered into a higher level area without realizing it and got completely stomped so it's not a total cakewalk. It would be cool if the AI were improved some but there is something really satisfying about hacking everyone's eyes, dropping from a roof top, and dispatching four dudes before they even know you're there. While the quests may not always show it, the gameplay certainly tends towards power fantasy (and I'm okay with that).

I'm also really impressed by the diversity of environments even within the city itself. Standing in the corporate plaza vs. standing in Pacifica is an amazing contrast. I guess I'm used to Fallout where it's tough to tell where you are because every dilapidated shack with hugging skeletons looks the same, but I certainly don't have that issue here.

Small question though - do the storyline quests progress more or less through the city in the same order as the level of enemies does? I'd like to clear out Watson of side quests, then go meet Takamura, and I'm hoping it will eventually push me to the next "zone" where I can do the same. I know I could probably clear the whole map before continuing the main quest but I'd like to progress both sides of the game somewhat evenly.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

I don't know if it will amount to anything but my current Vi refuses to drink alcohol. I may have hosed it up because I was in someone's body during a braindance when the person drank some champagne, but as far as "reality" goes, my Vi doesn't drink. Jackie even commented on it once, and even if one line is all I get it's a nice touch. Definitely doing all the drugs I get offered, though.

Might do a hacking/punch man run for the next one and go totally straight-edge, refuse everything the game offers, and see if it does anything.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

SniperWoreConverse posted:

look buddy you still got the muscle spinal column and ripping doors off is not the same as doing curls.

It's like the scene in Ghost in the Shell when she's fighting the tank. You have to actually check yourself before you literally wreck yourself.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

FuzzySlippers posted:

It also makes a good case for why a first person camera can make for a unique experience in dialogue/cutscenes that's worth being explored more

While the scene was going on I kept thinking "okay now how would this experience feel in VR?"

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

wyoak posted:

I have about 20 hours in this and am not sure how to tell if someone I’ve downed is dead or just unconscious

Unconscious people still move around on the ground and don't have the expanding blood pool form beneath them. I don't know if scanning them shows anything about them being dead or alive but that might be a way too.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

So I know there's a big patch scheduled for next month, but have they said roughly what they plan to include in it? Do we know if it's just bug fixes or are they tackling some of the clearly missing features as well?

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

I was having fun but had set the game aside because I knew improvements were on the way and didn't want to burn out before the game was finished (lol). I know the bug fixes were more than necessary, but if that's all this patch is then it might be worthwhile to keep waiting, I guess.

I'm not expecting the February patch to add in all new endings or like a revamped faction system or whatever, but it'd be nice if the current stuff worked as intended.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

TheAgent posted:

honestly, I'd wait until the end of the year. the next gen patch will probably be substantial, and contain new content and fixes for all versions

there's so many gameplay mechanics that need to be completely gutted and overhauled, a good six months+ is required to get that poo poo working, playtested and implemented

Yeah that's a good point. I guess I'm in no real hurry to pick the game back up again until things have been ironed out. I definitely don't regret buying the game, and people who are disappointed over it have a right to be, but I also bought No Man's Sky on release so maybe I'm just numb to this stuff by now. Still, hopefully CDPR doesn't take the half-decade that Hello Games took to get things up to par.

edit: and they didn't even fix the UI issue I was having anyway!

HoboTech fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 23, 2021

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

"I've made a mod that disables the quest markers and instead your character's dong points to the next quest objective."

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Sandepande posted:

Bethesda's games aren't particularly deep, or the characters super interesting, but they are good enough with lovely sandboxes.

Geralt fell flat for me, much like the world of the Witcher, and TW3's combat was about as good as Skyrim's, except with worse scaling.

This is all subjective, of course.

I feel the same, actually. Skyrim's plots and combat are pretty laughable when compared to a lot of other CRPGs but I'm pretty sure that's not why people play them. For me, at least, they're modding sandboxes meant for exploration and shouting at dragons.

Also yeah, people extoll the virtues of the writing of Witcher 3, but by the time I finished Novigrad I disliked most of the characters (including Geralt), was bored by the world, and had grown tired of the "wow you THINK you're helping but SURPRISE all the peasants are dead!" twists. Also I said it before in the Witcher thread but whoever wrote that game hates women lol.

Also I booted up CP2077 again after the latest patch and had an alright time with it. Cars are no longer slamming into guard rails when they make turns and everything seems to run smoother/more stable. Might actually finish it this winter, even if it isn't the best game ever made.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Maybe it's just me but Cyberpunk doesn't quite scratch the same itch as Bethesda games. The option to explore is there in 2077 but there's less to delve into because most stuff you come across is outside on the street (as opposed to a dungeon in whatever form that may take), but on the other hand the combat is leagues better and with more options than being a stealth-archer. Also complain all you want about the NPCs in 2077 but holy poo poo at least they look like people.

Also did they do something to the advertisements on one of the patches? I swear I'm seeing more/different things, but I could have just forgotten in the months I didn't touch it.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

I was watching a clip of someone playing GTAV and they ended up in an open area with a lot of NPCs. They hit the attack button and took a swing at some static object in the game world, not even directed at anyone, and... the NPCs all freaked out and ran away. Which is basically what happens in Cyberpunk, although they had a bit more animation to them (they would climb over a small wall to escape the scary man who swung his fist once at nothing). As someone who has never and will never play GTAV, but has heard nonstop about how amazing the NPC AI is, it just kinda made me laugh.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

The spotlight being on Johnny kind of reminds me of Oblivion's plot, where you're just some dude who's helping out the real star of the show.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Playable pachinko machines or chilling in a bar would certainly be cool but it's probably a thing most people would do once and then never engage with again. Going into a bar and being able to play Cyber Gwent would be different, but a lot of the other stuff feels more like a novelty than a real addition to the game.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

They all died because they were a team of idiots who thought they were cooler than they were and ended up like everyone else that fucks with the major power players in the city. It's almost like it's a major theme of the game or something.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

I think you get most of your gigs by cell phone because having to go back to the fixer each and every time you wanted to do a job in their area would get really tedious. That's a lot of back and forth for offing a dozen Tyger Claws and dumping a netrunner in the trunk of a car, just to give me some cash and a pat on the head. Also, from the fixer's perspective, that's a lot of foot traffic because I'm sure they don't have just V running around doing jobs.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Been playing this again, doing the main storyline, just finished up the stuff with the VooDoo boys. Overall was pretty good. I think I'm ready to go to the Afterlife and start that branch.

RE: vehicles and driving. I'm one of those sick freaks that prefer to always play in first person, but I can't manage it in this game while driving, even though I want to. For some reason, and I have no idea why this is the case, but V's eyes seem to be firmly embedded somewhere below their neck and it feels like a toddler trying to drive a car. There's a small selection of cars/bikes where this isn't as much of a problem but that's beside the point. Like when you look at V's model on the Kusanagi, their head is well above the orange glass, yet when you go to first person the glass is right in your face and it blocks the road. There's probably a mod that fixes this but I haven't looked into modding yet (I want to get at least one ending before I Skyrim the poo poo out of this).

Other than that I kinda wish there was more badlands because cruising around on the roads out there and exploring the little gas stations and stuff was pretty neat.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

I'm probably the only human being who prefers playing Cyberpunk to The Witcher 3. It's a sickness I can't explain.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Conversely, it would be hilarious if the game goes "you have two weeks", and then two in-game weeks later you're doing some side quest and V suddenly just dies, total game over, no way to continue, save is ruined. Now THAT'S some loving immersion!

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

I guess my only input re: the story and the death-timer plot is that I, as a player who is playing the game, would have had a lot less fun if the game was constantly shouting in my ear to do the next main story quest instead of letting me cruise around the city on my cool motorcycle and use cyber brain magic to fry some punks trying to mug some folks.

On the other side, I'm sure someone could have a perfectly fine experience with the game just going through the main story quests and completely ignoring everything else, especially since you don't need to be max level to beat it. Then you can do the thing that seems to be unthinkable to a lot of people and just move on to something else you might actually enjoy playing.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

I don't think people want a thread that's nothing but nice comments, I think they want a thread where a number of people haven't been posting "this game sucks lol" every day for a year straight with no variation. There's definitely poo poo to complain about but maybe those people should find a hobby they actually enjoy instead of perching like vultures over a corpse they've already picked clean.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Sedisp posted:

If AC odyssey managed to make it understandable for why you're going on a sprawling adventure to gently caress every consenting partner in the Greek world instead of just following the story line I am confident any dev team could do the same.

Especially when it was as easy as changing a throwaway line from weeks to "I dunno it could be months could be weeks"

As other people have said, the "two weeks" was a rough estimate, given with a lot of in-dialogue expressed doubt, by a character who admitted they were in over their head. That this has become the crux of people's arguments is pretty weak. It's like going to your regular general practitioner doctor with a crazy disease no one has ever seen before and him going, "Yeah it's going to kill you but I'm not sure when. Maybe two weeks but who knows".

I'll agree that the city is lacking fluff content and that the AI/combat challenge is definitely not up to par, and it's obvious ta lot of the plot never got finished, but at this point I think people are just nitpicking to keep their disdain alive.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

You know what you don't see in games like this? Characters that are romanceable but completely unattainable to player. Like, you can try, and the devs make it so you can give it your all, but it's just not in the story. Now, I know WHY they don't do this, because fans (gamers) would probably have an unreasonable reaction to not being able to virtually touch the digital junk of their preference, but it would be pretty bold compared to what everyone else does.

Of course modders would "fix" it on day 1, but it'd still be funny.

Splorange posted:

I mean, yes, the budget implants would come with pop-up adds that get in the way of aiming.

And this is a great concept for a side quest of some kind.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

When Iggy Koopa shot Luigi in the chest and he was bleeding out in the kuribo shoe, why didn't Mario just give him a 1-up? This game is loving garbage.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

playing this for the first on the series x and it is making me want to vomit. any uh. fixes for that issue

Increasing FOV can sometimes help with this.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Haven't watched the trailer but if the main cast isn't a bunch of teens, there's no annoying mascot character, and every third scene isn't "fan service" or bad comedy, then hey maybe it'll be good.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Okay, well, AKIRA was focused on teens and... maybe they'll do something like... like that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Have any of you considered that Wakako can afford some very high-end cybernetic replacement parts?