Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Vorik posted:

Transphobia, the male gaze and video game titties.. this game is just chock full of problematic stuff. Sometimes it's not worth putting a game over marginalized folks. It really has been making me rethink my pre order.

I get where you're coming from, but I don't think its a cut and dry situation when a piece of media is trying to depict a dystopia. Like, it's not as if the overall message of the game is going to be "this place is fantastic! look at all these tits!". This is a clumsy analogy, but you don't read Brave New World in order to be titillated.

I think it does become a whole big gray area with a video game though, because the overriding principle for any big budget video game is for it to be fun and satisfying and pleasant and gorgeous.

So you potentially have a game that's trying to do social commentary, but has ultimately built a world that its audience will find satisfying and want to spend time in, and 'discomfort' is antithetical to that. And obviously, the story and experience are built around a player actively engaging with the game. Maybe there are narrative ways to push back against certain things? The Witcher series was always in that weird position of saying "look, Geralt likes to gently caress", so ended up being very male gazey. This has the potential to be a bit more open and malleable to player agency. But honestly, I have no idea. I'm sure reviews etc will go into this. Nothing wrong with cancelling your preorder and waiting for reviews and editorials if you're worried the game might not be for you.

So really, there are a lot of unknowns here. I think a lot of it will rest on how the writing handles things like sex work or the trans experience, or even whether it handles those things at all. The Witcher 3, Geral'ts sex drive aside, was really good at making characters - even questy NPCs - feel like real people with complicated lives. I think if this game keeps that up, it'll be a good thing.

Obviously, the marketing - especially on Twitter - has been really exploitative, which isn't a good sign. But I do think it's a little too nuanced to make calls about this game making marginalised people unsafe while everything's still under embargo. Give it a week or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Dpulex posted:

Resetera is a poo poo forum full of corporate bootlickers and shills. God help you on that board if you try to criticize a game dev.

The top pinned post on Resetera right now is a 61 page thread arguing that CDPR is a deeply transphobic company, but okay!

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Thoughts RE people bemoaning the criticisms of gratuity/sex stuff - sounds like this game has problems! It's disappointing to hear that the game doesn't tread the line well enough thematically. Like, I get that the setting and tabletop game are an incredibly broad brush, but edginess - and what constitutes Having Something To Say, isn't really just something you can copy and paste from the 80's. So I get why people like Jeff Gerstmann feel weird that it's just dicks and tits with no nuance. This is already an update from the original pen and paper RPG in terms of technology, bringing it into 2020 - why not update the writing and craft to today's standard too?

edit: I'd still be curious to play it though. Might wait for a sale.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Megasabin posted:

Multiple reviews, positive and negative, have stated that the Cyberpunk aspect of the game is just an aesthetic, and that the narrative does not explore any deep or interesting questions. It's a crime/heist narrative with a cyberpunk window dressing. There were about 3 separate reviews that actually said Deus Ex did a better job exploring post-human themes which is a bit disappointing.

I was really impressed by Human Revolution, at the time. Like it's got a bit of big budget video game clunkiness, but it was really interesting to play a big budget video game essentially about disability.

I guess the question for Cyberpunk then becomes why bother setting your game in a dystopia if you're not actually going to use it well? The whole point of the genre is to explore big heady questions about the nature of consciousness and self and whatever. Which Deus Ex did pretty well!

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

sean10mm posted:

Waiting for a big open world game to get a few patches under its belt is never dumb if you have the patience for it.

Like HZD PC got patched into being a real good game, but on release it was like 1/3 people doing fine 2/3 people having lots of poo poo to put up with.

Jeff is the kind of guy who gives generic :jerkbag: milshooters higher scores than Death Stranding though so he's totally not on my wavelength at all.

Not to get too off-topic but as people are talking about Jeff G's reactions to this, I feel like his taste gets misunderstood. I think he just likes games that feel authentic to what they are - like he's a big fan of a certain era of game because they come from a time where it felt like games were being made with a certain attitude ot just wanting to make something rad or cool. A lot of modern games, for better or for worse, feel super market-tested, or at least published with a degree of cynicism. I think he just doesn't like when a game reaches for a certain tone/aesthetic superficially, whereas Call of Duty games know exactly what they are. I don't think I'm explaining myself too well but hopefully you get what I mean.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Why is having something to say capitalized?

I feel like you know the answer but are asking anyway. I'm sorry if you find it annoying.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

again. pondsmiths cyberpunk isnt gibson and co. its 2000AD but made by an american. critics don't seem to understand that. too each their own but the universe itself was never nuanced and much like shadowrun never had a storyline per say.

It doesn't really matter though, does it? If critics are finding this specific Cyberpunk setting bad and stupid, then if this game slavishly adheres to a bad and stupid setting it doesn't nullify their complaints.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

CottonWolf posted:

No. But equally, if you complain about wine not being bread, you're not wrong, it's not, but it's also not a very useful criticism. The question is, are they finding bad on its own terms, or is it that they wanted the game to be something else entirely?

I don't think that's what happening in the reviews I've read this evening - Vice, Polygon, etc - and it's also true that this apparently very narrow IP shares its name with an entire literary genre. I know people are griping about the lengthy intro to the Polygon article (which I think is understandable for a trans person to want to write), but the real meat of the review isn't that, but that it's a game that thinks it's genuinely cool and edgy but takes its source material from the actual 80's and so feels dated, clunky, and a bit racist, just like your dad. There's nothing stopping them using that setting in a smarter way.

edit: not YOUR dad CottonWolf. I've never met your dad.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

black.lion posted:

I loved DE:MD and DE:HR and all, still love 'em, but I could have done with less broody "i didn't ask for this and neither did humanity" philosophizing

So I'm guessing respeccing is not a thing in this game, true? If so I'll be savescumming my build choices every inch of the way :getin:

I guess the criticism I'm hearing isn't that the game isn't heady, but that it's passing off 'edginess' as heady social commentary, but for some reviewers has ended up as just kind of obnoxious and annoying because it isn't actually saying anything of value.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Ash1138 posted:

but it's so good

the smoother mouse cursor in windows alone is :chef's kiss:

Yeah as stupid as this sounds, by far the best thing about having a 144hz monitor is the amazing smooth mouse scrolling. And scrolling up and down windows with the taskbar. It's really nice.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

black.lion posted:

This was my experience of the outer worlds; the writing in this game being as bad as the outer worlds is maybe one of the few things that could derail my enthusiasm

Please do not let it be so, please let the quest writing quality of Witcher 3 shine through!!!

I was just watching the Jeff Gerstmann stream, and one example he gave was a vending machine with advertising on it that says "Buy this or gently caress off!". AS this very, kind of, low-effort attempt at social commentary. The way he put it, it just doesn't feel very creative and comes off as rehashed/tired. That worries me, because that's the kind of thing that really gets in the way for me. I couldn't get through Outer Worlds for similar reasons!

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

The same advertisement was posted earlier ITT and it kinda rules

Someone even commented on how it feels directly pulled from Idiocracy

That was also Jeff Gerstmann's criticism actually. Idiocracy came out 14 years ago, and doing that schtick without nuance is very particular to that film and what it was trying to do. Seeing this game do that just doesn't, to him, feel particularly creative or exciting, and feels like it's ripping off celebrated older films instead of ploughing its own furrow. Which is fair, I think! Games trying to do satire via ripping off jokes from movies 20 years their senior was basically every single big budget game 'with a sense of humour' of the original Xbox era.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah but everything in Star Wars is just copied from WW2 movies, that's the nature of art. Again, a lot of this is personal taste and pereference.

It's not the nature of art, its the nature of the art you've given an example of. It's also a very different type of example. Copying the framing or composition of a scene is different to trying to be edgy/push boundaries. The latter can only happen in a contemporary context because that's how boundries work and how satire works.

Edit: I mean these 'edgy' bits are hopefully not too in your face, but we'll see. But to your example, a better analogy with Cyberpunk would be the noir genre trappings. That's more in the ballpark of homage, like Star Wars and WWII films. The big stupid vending machine is not an homage to Idiocracy.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 7, 2020

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah "all artists steal" is universal.

Hello, I don't want to get into a big back and forth about this, but it isn't. It is more likely to be true than not when it comes to art made for a mass audience, bc a lot of that process is taking all the things that are popular in art that is more niche and bundling it together into something accessible, but its far from universal. Most art for niche audiences is trying something new, or at least is part of a contemporary conversation and not existing as a mishmashy throwback.

I mean its very technically universal in the sense that most art within genres speaks and shares a common language, but that doesn't mean all (or most!) of the component pieces of art are ripped off from other sources (even though neither of us are saying that this example is actually ripped off from Idiocracy??? If anything "feels like its ripped off" is a worse hack job than "actually ripped off").

edit: another poster above used a good term of phrase that I think applies well to stuff like this. It runs the risk of feeling lacking in imagination. Star Wars is full of imagination.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Simone Magus posted:

Maybe CDPR could have looked to William Gibson, an author who handled trans characters very well in the 80s and has continued to do so even in his last two novels.

I wonder if they've ever heard of him. He's pretty obscure.

Completely unrelated to trans stuff but as classic as Neuromancer is, when reading it now there's a definite horny fanfic vibe that can get in the way here and there

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Blue Raider posted:

It’s based on the work of another author, Mike Pondsmith.

I mean we're going round in circles at this point but it seems legitimate for people to express their disappointment that its stayed so close to the work of Mike Pondsmith, the author.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I wonder how many reviewers even know that Mike Pondsmith isn’t a white British guy.

Learned that a few years ago...never depend on a name to assume anything. :lol:

Also don’t assume stereotypes. But hey it was a good learning experience.

He also wrote the Dragon Ball Z pen and paper RPG. CD Projekt shoulda made DBZ Kakarot.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Since when was SA all chuds this and chuds that

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Why are people in this thread gettin' weird about the fact that Jeff Gerstmann didn't like The Witcher 3? Not only is this game obviously very different (ithis is a Deus Ex style first person ARPG), but other members of the Giant Bomb team really loved The Witcher 3. As a whole, GB has been really positive about that game.

Is all the straw clutching because people have bought big beefy PCs all for a game that might not even run that well?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Vigil for Virgil posted:

So the issue is they didn't have a warning screen essentially.

Fair enough

I think there's a difference between flashing lights in a video game, and importing a sequence of flashing lights specifically designed to induce seizures in a medical context, in your video game. The former is an unfortunate risk of the medium, the latter is stupid negligence.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Ice Phisherman posted:

Geralt reminds me a lot of a new look at the old archetype of the competent man, but he isn't a Mary Sue because Mary Sue in my view is a negatively coded version of that person. And if Geralt had been a woman, people would have bitched about it being unrealistic.

Geralt is an interesting one because (at least by the time you get to the Witcher 3) the writing is good enough where characters recognise and call out Geralt's weaknesses. I remember his friend - the dwarf dude - openly mocking him for not understanding humour, or for naming every horse he's ever owned "Roach". You also spend a lot time being shunned by people because they find you a bit intense, and the only times Geralt really gets going emotionally is when he's solving monster crimes. In many ways I genuinely think Geralt in The Witcher 3 specifically is the closest mainstream games have got to an autistic protagonist, or at least a protagonist that feels like a metaphor for autism.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Watching this whole thing unfold has been making me try and think back to the Witcher games. The Witcher 3 had a pretty buggy launch, right? Console stuff to one side, I'm trying to remember if that game was fairly broken on release? I remember it being a good year or so before The Witcher 2 was in fit shape to properly play through.

And The Witcher 1 didn't carry nearly the same expectations so playing it was more of a "wow, it's cool that this game came out of Poland" type situation.

I mean, there's definitely the argument that they've come a long way due to the success of TW3 and GOG, so shouldn't be getting up to their old tricks. But I wonder if it'd be the same sized shitstorm if other big titles were coming out and some of the hype was being diffused a little.

Donovan Trip posted:

Screaming buy signal. 30% correction was healthy and expected post launch (buy the rumor sell the news) but this is a really straight forward ROI: Do you believe CDPR will course correct and fix the game? Add multiplayer? Do you believe they'll continue to exist? If so, it's a no brainier buy.

JUSSAYIN

Would you be able to translate for someone who doesn't speak wolf of wall street? Are you saying the drop in stock is a signal for potential investors to buy? Genuinely curious!!

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

chaosapiant posted:

It's a reasonable thing to say. Not everyone is having severe issues on PS4 so if you're in that boat, you'd likely just keep playing and waiting for updates. There's at least one person itt that is in this boat.

It seems a bit standoffish. Change 'if you're unwilling to wait' to 'if you'd prefer not to wait' and it doesn't come off as making the audience sound ungrateful and impatient.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

WoodrowSkillson posted:

it crashed his ps4 pro multiple times and he was wishy washy on the whole thing, and that pushed him over the edge, maybe they shoudl learn how to write a press release that does not directly insult their customers

Yeah, their whole marketing & comms strategy for a while now has been very "if you don't like it you're not in our community of Real Gamers anyhow so you just dont get it", which felt a bit pandering and immature during pre-release but fine, whatever. But I can't see why they think its a good idea to maintain that tone during an actual post-release crisis, though. There's nobody left for them to pander to at this point!

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Okay so I got it for PC very cheap in a sale. I'm running a 3070 and a 3600 at 1440p. Should I just accept defeat and turn off raytracing? I can feel myself getting obsessive over trying to find the max possible settings to run the game at, and it doesnt help that it feels both poorly optimised and really easy to make everything look sludgy.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Yeah I've been running DLSS, although I've got a freesync monitor that can force g-sync but is a bit jank so a solid 72fps (144hz monitor) would be nice. I'll try disabling ambient occlusion and SSR!!

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Christ, so I had another tinker and I realised what was making the game look so muddy and not at all like the fancy graphics showpiece it was supposed to be. Film grain! I usually leave that stuff on in games and it's fine and adds to the atmosphere but turning it off here has made everything look so much better. Anything else along those lines I should turn off?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

site posted:

tbh I've never understood why people like adding camera effects when you're looking through someone's eyeballs

There are two fairly obvious reasons

1. it's a stylistic choice that doesn't look out of place because you're watching a thing on a screen. A video game is already abstracted enough from reality where it doesn't mean that adding graphical effects is automatically taking away your immerson

2. Because you're watching a thing on a screen, it's impossible to get anywhere near the same experience as you would if you were physically looking through your eyes in that world, so why not add little touches to add ambiance to a scene (e.g. lens flare does a pretty good job of being evocative of actually looking at a sunny sky, which is impossible to show on a screen)

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

site posted:

it's not "taking away" from immersion it's adding things that break immersion.

taking away and breaking immersion are the same thing especially in the context of this conversation so this feels a bit beyond nitpicky

But yeah the game isn't trying to make you think you're looking through a camera, it's just trying to look nice.

I think film grain doesn't work too well in Cyberpunk, but it can add a lot of atmosphere to other games. I don't think they're supposed to be taken as ludonarrative clues in the way you're suggesting. It's a stylistic choice. And stuff like DoF can be really useful for drawing the player's focus to specific things. It's using cinematic visual language because it's something a lot of people are fluent in, and so it doesn't feel incongrous to the vast majority of people. You see lens flare, and your brain automatically goes 'that's a bright light'. It's a form of shorthand for things that you can't communicate via a 2d screen. I don't think games like Cyberpunk are really trying to simulate what it'd be like to look through someone's eyes to the extent that you're engaging with this stuff. They're just trying to look... pretty and well composed?

I think motion blur is an exception to this, only because it's something that feels like it doesn't always work with super high refresh rates (although I think it looks really nice on 30/60fps on consoles etc).

edit: I mean look if your brain does a weird thing where you see filmic effects in first person games and all you can think is that the game is trying to make you feel like the character has tiny camcorders for eyes, then I guess that's what the option to turn them off is there for. But it's funny when people talk about this stuff like they just can't understand why it'd possible exist, when the answer is a very straightforward "because it makes the game look pretty"

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 30, 2021

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

The Grumbles posted:

me prattling on about filmic vfx in games

Also one thing I do want to point out about looking through your own eyes/vs looking at a screen is the way your brain constructs a visual image because it's cool and owns. The current theory is that a lot of it is insanely predictive - kind of like an organic DLSS, but with more varied inputs to do with how you expect a scene to look - so the way you construct reality is based on all kinds of factors that don't exist in games, which is why games use graphical effects to impart this stuff. The example I got given by the neuroscientist that was telling me about this stuff is being outside and looking at a shadow being cast by an object on a table. Your brain is probably going to just fill in the blanks of the sky being blue and a sunny day, because it's more efficient than trying to process all the ocular input for the actual sky. Might even be the case that if you feel the heat of the sun baring down on you, your brain's gonna make it feel brighter. So basically it's kind of pointless to try and completely replicate the experience of looking through a pair of eyes in non-VR games because there's so much going on, but games also have to do a little more work to convey what's going on in a scene (which is where things like lens flare etc can be useful)

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 30, 2021

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE posted:

Picked this back up recently for 2.0 + PL and am absolutely sucked in. I played it a little after release on PC, but am on PS5 now and just holy poo poo I'm loving all the build options and storytelling.

One question I have is if I should rush the PL story before the main story branch, or should that be reversed? I'd like to use all the new weapons and implants and Relic tree abilities on the main game, so waiting until the end of a playthrough to get to PL seems like a waste of new content. Or maybe I'm missing something? How are most people staging it?

Having just finished the game + expansion (and had a great time! Bounced off this at launch but now it all actually works well and is fun to play I got completely sucked in), I wouldn't overthink it. The expansion does the same thing as the main quests where it'll make you wait a while before the next mission step, so you're basically encouraged to flit between all the different quest lines. So just start the PL story when you get it, and you'll find the pacing basically sort itself out. I ended up pretty organically bouncing between the PL, main story, and various side quests (of which PL adds a few more too), just kind of following whatever threads I found interesting.

It's really well integrated into the game. Really the only way to play it wrong is by overthinking it or trying to rush one or the other first, I think. It's designed to be part of the larger game. That said, if it gets its hooks into you, you might reach a point near the end where you'll want to see PL through to the credits because it's a great story. But the game will force you to do other stuff between quest steps anyway.

(edit: obviously this only really applies to people like us who didn't already play through the main game on release)

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

sauer kraut posted:

Oof 27 G's on gog just for the base game.
The notes almost seem too good to be true, could this be the one?

It’s been good since 2.0 choom

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

JackDarko posted:

So, what’s the deal with Dexter Deshawn?

So far, Fixers seem to act as brokers for jobs and contractors, shadow mafia leaders of a territory, or both. Based on what we learn early on he’s hosed up before meaning he has a high risk tolerance.

I haven’t beaten the game yet so maybe something will be revealed. I’m on act 3 — so far my read is he’s a dumbass who thought he could score big with a Arasaka job, but the more you learn about the more it’s incredibly obvious anyone who isn’t high caliber shouldn’t touch the gig. It’s got Voodoo Boys involved, an untrustworthy client and Arasaka. It was doomed to fail. Was the payout going to be worth it, as in retirement level money?

Yep, it's not an either/or for fixers as to whether they're brokers or mob bosses, they're all basically both. They are brokers because they wield power and influences and hold some sort of cards that keep them safe from the megacorps.

He's not a dumbass - I think he is set up as one of the biggest, most successful fixers in Night City and as the player the game is trying to make you feel like that reputation is deserved, but yes there are hints that he's on the decline after a bad gig.

It's just kind of the career trajectory, and I guess something I've learned since finishing the game and reading up on the setting more is it's definitely part of the whole ethos of Cyberpunk from its initial RPG days that there are no good endings for anyone. As a fixer you get bigger and bigger until something goes wrong enough that you get murdered . Plus, in the cyberpunk setting, fixers only really exist for as long as the megacorps allow them to - so all it takes is one bad gig for that balancing act to collapse.

edit: rather than 'safe from the megacorps', maybe its better to say they're 'useful to the megacorps, and thus safe from them'. Especially with many of the kinds of gigs you take, it's implied that fixers kind of fill a civic role of 'corrupt local mob mayor' - basically the early 20th century corrupt local New York politician definition of the word - so you can see the corps as seeing them as useful part of keeping Night City ticking along.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 7, 2023

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

JOHN SKELETON posted:

That's really cool that you designed it. I thought it was a nice change of pace and the descent down to the lab not knowing what you'll find was very well done.

The only part of a mission I really hated in PL was the sniping part before the big party, it just took forever waiting for Reed's old rear end. Didn't help that parts of it were bugged for me so I had to restart.

Yeah the sniper bit was a cool change of pace but I guess because it was so setpiecey you couldn't quick save, which was bad for both gamer 'this has to be perfect run' brain and also bad for the set piece bugging out (both were the case for me)

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Valentin posted:

oh i did get that routine, i just took it as more building of his myth before its puncturing. "badass superspy who exists on special double secret clearance and shoves a gun in your ribs and talks a big game about how serious this is immediately gets called and hassled by his lovely manager at the lovely bar he bounces for" is imo absolutely a comedy beat.

I don't think you're reading that scene right. the bouncer gig is his cover and it's showing you him slipping back into his false identity. When I saw that scene it just highlighted for me how well he'd embedded into his cover life. Like the manager would never suspect a thing. I saw it and felt like oh this guy is a professional.

It seems like some of the dissonance you're feeling is just basic ludonarrative dissonance. You gotta buy into the super spy conspiracy stuff of the expansion doesn't work.

For me it wasn't so much 'look how powerful these people are' (bc in Cyberpunk ultimately nobody is as powerful as the corps and everyone is vulnerable and expendable) but 'these people don't gently caress around'. Like the whole thing where you befriend those two cool dudes in your hideout, and you feel like you can trust them, and then it's casually implied that Reed has offed them and you never hear from them again .

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

The NUSA is generally depicted as being a pretty big deal - it's a national government that's managed to mostly get the most powerful corporation in the world (Militech) working in its interests rather than the other way around, and is on the rise just as its ancient rival, Arasaka, is in decline. BARGHEST are hot enough poo poo to carve out an independent micronation at Arasaka's front door precisely because they're a former NUS military unit, and Songbird is a very respectable opposite number to Arasaka's top full-borg enforcer, Adam Smasher (while Reed, for all his flaws, would hand Takemura his rear end any day of the week).

You really are playing with the big boys in Phantom Liberty, even if they're broken, barely-human trainwreck-people.

Isn't the NUSA basically just Militech? Like isn't Meyer an ex-Mili corpo

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Valentin posted:

it's not their raw video game killing power that's pathetic, it's their M.O. and self-concept. reed has to do this whole BADASS SPY STICKS A GUN IN YOUR RIBS SHUT THE gently caress UP BITCH routine at the start but like. what if V doesn't like that lmao. the game is full of night city residents starting fights because you walked too close, what if V had approached the reed convo like that and reed's overwrought machismo means they both end up dead or wounded at this random basketball court? what if V, who isn't part of any of this and doesn't care about rosalind myers at all, just walks away? and then the president is stranded in dogtown, hunted relentlessly by the local warlord, and reed has no idea where she is or how to find her. and that's before you even get into the songbird of it all. and that idea generally, that V could always just walk away because this job sucks, is something the game actually accounts for! you can at several points of the DLC just loving walk away and it's not like they're like "things went fine without you," the implication is usually that if you left at a crucial juncture, everyone involved died or got hosed over. and because it didn't go through anyone local, it's not even bad for V, because no one else knows anything happened. they've pulled V into a situation where they have no leverage over V barring the vague and unsubstantiated claim that they can fix your life-threatening problem, and given that you've never met them at this point you've probably already seen the guy who designed your problem be like "drat that problem seems unfixable," it's not a very compelling claim.

I think the DLC justifies itself pretty well. I mean as you say you can walk away at any minute, but the reason you don't is also the reason V doesn't - it's a cool spy poo poo save the president mission.
I disagree that the promise of a cure is vague or unsubstantiated. It's the president of the United States telling you this! Combined with the most powerful netrunner you've come across to date.

There are dialogue options later in the game where V straight up boasts to his friends that he's done cool secret agent poo poo involving saving the president. Like, 'this is badass' is a strong motivation for most versions of the V character, and in keeping with the tone and character motivations in the setting at large.

They don't have leverage over V as such, but the combination of 'who can resist a juicy gig involving cool spy poo poo' and 'this might cure my horrible computer disease' was enough for me, and by logical extension, enough for the character I was roleplaying.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Valentin posted:

it's not the part where he sticks a gun in your ribs. it's the part where after he does all that rigmarole he picks up the phone and whines to his boss, "why are you calling me on my day off?" he's definitely hot poo poo he's just also lame, like everyone else who is hot poo poo in cyberpunk.

I said this in another post but you are way misreading that scene. Him picking up to his boss is him slipping into his cover identity. He is not genuinely whining to his boss. It's an act to maintain cover in the false identity he has created. When I saw that scene I was like 'wow this guy is a professional and I should not trust a word that comes out of his mouth because he is probably playing everyone'.

Reed does not care about the person on the other end of the phone. He is acting the part of just another gonk, and he's doing it effortlessly and t a moment's notice in a way that should come across as kind of menacing. The purpose of that scene is to show you just how good of a spy he is, and to make you feel like you're peeking on the other side of the curtain, not that he's being bullied by some dude. He's the one playing the boss.

edit: like I'm not saying he's 'badass' - he's a tragic figure and one I felt suspicious of and who I did not respect, but he's obviously very good as his job in a way that makes him a bit terrifying

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 8, 2023

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

scary ghost dog posted:

for me it isnt ludonarrative dissonance, its rank amateurism from the NUSA clan in regards to their schemes, plans and methods.

they have to rescue songbird, who betrayed them to begin with, because she’s a walking hellmouth and they want to control her for their own ends. alright, thats sick. these guys are top of the heap when it comes to high stakes. what’s the plan? “we’ll use the two spies we decommissioned years ago and live in dogtown, they have a really deep personal connection with the target and have both betrayed her and been betrayed by her. we’ll officially make you a NUSA secret agent, V, because technically our target is the one who hired you so we need to give you a reason to back us instead when things get hot. feel free to bring mr. hands in on it. when we find out where songbird is, we will rendezvous with her at a party james bond-style, giving hansen an opportunity to march us past every barghest soldier in his employ so they can all see our faces. then, at the most pivotal moment, we will use some premium ice that would absolutely work on any normal netrunner to incapacitate a woman that can hack into arasaka’s relic from miles away and has blackwall ghosts living in her cyberbrain.”

i love it. you start off thinking youre going to be a superspy helping the NUSA prez rescue her most trusted hacker, and by the end you’re like “no wonder these morons are losing to a military junta operating out of an unfinished skyscraper in an abandoned development at the edge of night city”

Using those two spies is their only option because people can't really get in Dogtown (according to the fiction at least) - those two are the NUSA's assets in Dogtown, for better or for worse.

But also all that other stuff you said happens because they are genre tropes of spy movies and it's fun to be Cyberpunk James Bond. I think it all works pretty well. There are people ITT who sound like they'd be an absolute nightmare at the D&D table

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
So are NetWatch a corp? Do they have an agenda beyond 'keep the Blackwall up', or are they the closest thing still standing to an actual publicly funded civic service?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

orcane posted:

While it's possible to (almost) exclusively play stealth hacker, I'd argue V is not that kind of netrunner and if that gameplay isn't fun to you, play what feels thematically more appropriate - eg. smartgun V steamrolling gangoons, with hacks as a support tool to shut some of them down on your way in, and managing large groups in a giant shootout (crowd control).

My only run-through ended up being stealth netrunner (mostly because I found it so unclear and confusing whether you could use quick hacks with other cyberware I didn't dare spend the huge amounts of eddies on other kinds of cyberware), and I did find it fun, especially once you get some of the higher level quick hacks. There was still a ton of shooting to be had, but it's a shame there isn't really any actual netrunning in the game. All of the 'V is a lethal netrunner' stuff ends up coming across in dialogue choices, where you get to be a smartass about people's ICE or other netrunners' plans or what have you.