Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Infidelicious posted:

Uh, the Atomic Bombs were in fact psychologically different, and a big deal; as is evidenced by the Emperor referencing them specifically as 'a terrible new weapon' in his call for surrender.

Not saying the mass firebombing was ineffective, or low impact... but it had been happening for months and did not notably effect the Peace / Hardliner faction impasse, even after the Soviets invaded Manchuria.

Oh sure, I'm not minimizing it. The bombs did what a whole fleet of bombers could do, in seconds. But - whole fleets of bombers were in fact doing that very thing, on a regular basis, to the point where it was a challenge to find a decent-sized city to nuke that hadn't already been subject to an atomic-style leveling via good old-fashioned nitrogen compounds. Sort of a machine gun vs. gun kind of improvement in lethality. In fact if you dropped Little Boy on the White House, everyone inside the Capitol Building would probably survive.

But a couple decades later, when the technological situation had advanced (or deteriorated, if you prefer) to the point of being able to kill half the population of the northern hemisphere in a few terrible hours... that colors our view of what happened in 1945.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Alchenar posted:

Nah, if you look at the detail of what the Japanese government did in reaction to the first and second bombings it was very much in line with the reaction to the firebombings "Oh hey it looks like we lost most of another city, this time according to a single bomber. Lets send someone to investigate".

I definitely think it forms part of the argument for the decision to surrender, in particular because blaming defeat on the American's terrible new device is a handy rhetorical way of avoiding talking about the smashing conventional military defeats Japan was suffering in all theatres 'the war situation has developed not necessarily to Japan's advantage'. The event that caused real shock in Japanese decision making was the entry of the Soviet Union into the war, not merely because they lost an entire army in a week but because it suddenly took off the table any option of a negotiated peace through Stalin. Once that plan fell apart it became clear the options were just surrender or to go down fighting.

Also because it basically made the Japanese position in China, and that of all their remaining territorial holdings in continental Asia, toast, IIRC all their previous peace feelers through the Soviet Union had been operating under the assumption that it'd be a negotiated peace and that Japan would be able to retain some of its colonial holdings.

To add to things, I do think I've seen too much has often been made of the "elite nature" of the Kwantung army in some of the arguments I've seen that the atomic bombings were irrelevant next to the Soviet declaration of war and invasion. As far as I'm aware the Kwantung army was never elite. It was unruly, troublesome and autonomous and supplemented with locally recruited forces, towards the end of the war it was intact and had largely not been involved in large-scale combat, but I've never seen anything to suggest it had equipment or personnel priority over the forces actually engaged in combat in China, South-East Asia and the Pacific.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 9, 2021

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Not a nuke.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Randarkman posted:

Also because it basically made the Japanese position in China, and that of all their remaining territorial holdings in continental Asia, toast, IIRC all their previous peace feelers through the Soviet Union had been operating under the assumption that it'd be a negotiated peace and that Japan would be able to retain some of its colonial holdings.

To add to things, I do think I've seen too much has often been made of the "elite nature" of the Kwantung army in some of the arguments I've seen that the atomic bombings were irrelevant next to the Soviet declaration of war and invasion. As far as I'm aware the Kwantung army was never elite. It was unruly, troublesome and autonomous and supplemented with locally recruited forces, towards the end of the war it was intact and had largely not been involved in large-scale combat, but I've never seen anything to suggest it had equipment or personnel priority over the forces actually engaged in combat in China, South-East Asia and the Pacific.

I think it depends on what time period you talk about. It was certainly a political army full of Kodoha lunatics but that meant that (especially in peace time) it got a lot of good gear, personnel, and funding. Pre-37, Manchuria is where the action is in the army, so ambitious officers would try to post there. I think the performance against the Soviets in 39 also is a pretty good indicator that they were "elite" in more of a political sense than a true combat capabilities sense, although the war in China had already begun to degrade the army. And when the Pacific part of the war got going in earnest, the army got very degraded and relied much more heavily on collaborators and the Manchukuo government as you mentioned.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Randarkman posted:

The Kwantung army was at one point a veteran force, if not maybe “elite.” However, large parts of it were parceled out as reinforcements or as garrison units for the pacific theater. By mid 1945, it was no longer capable of providing more than token resistance against the Soviets. Though to be fair, the Red Army of mid-late 1945 may have been the most experienced, thoroughly trained, equipped, and led land army in the history of the world. It was an enormous overmatch.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
AT-1 SPG

Big articles queue: Object 140, SU-76 frontline impressions, Creation of the IS-3, IS-6, SU-5, Myths of Soviet tank building: 1943-44, IS-2 post-war modifications, Myths of Soviet tank building: end of the Great Patriotic War, Medium Tank T6, RPG-1, Lahti L-39, American tank building plans post-war, German tanks for 1946, HMC M7 Priest, GMC M12, GMC M40/M43, ISU-152, AMR 35 ZT, Soviet post-war tank building plans, T-100Y and SU-14-1, Object 430, Pz.Kpfw.35(t), T-60 tanks in combat, SU-76M modernizations, Panhard 178, 15 cm sFH 13/1 (Sf), 43M Zrínyi, Medium Tank M46, Modernization of the M48 to the M60 standard, German tank building trends at the end of WW2, Pz.Kpfw.III/IV, E-50 and E-75 development, Pre-war and early war British tank building, BT-7M/A-8 trials, Jagdtiger suspension, Light Tank T37, Light Tank T41, T-26-6 (SU-26), Voroshilovets tractor trials, Israeli armour 1948–1982, T-64's composite armour, Evolution of German tank observation devices, Oerlikon and Solothurn anti-tank rifles

Available for request (others' articles):

:ussr:
Shashmurin's career
T-55 underwater driving equipment
T-34 tanks with M-17 engines
ISU-152

Small articles queue: Soviet tank camouflage, AA machine guns on tanks, IS-3 pike nose

Small articles available: linked because the list is too long

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Huh, 62 new posts since I logged in, I hope it isn't more "would Japan have surrendered if we hadn't dropped the a-bomb" talk...

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

MrYenko posted:

The Kwantung army was at one point a veteran force, if not maybe “elite.” However, large parts of it were parceled out as reinforcements or as garrison units for the pacific theater. By mid 1945, it was no longer capable of providing more than token resistance against the Soviets. Though to be fair, the Red Army of mid-late 1945 may have been the most experienced, thoroughly trained, equipped, and led land army in the history of the world. It was an enormous overmatch.

Also you can be as elite as you like, if you're in a Chi-Ha and the other guy is in an IS2 it probably won't go well.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

feedmegin posted:

Also you can be as elite as you like, if you're in a Chi-Ha and the other guy is in an IS2 it probably won't go well.

Perhaps, but in theory you might snipe out the infantry cover from a defilade position and then approach the tanks using terrain and smoke to your advantage with mines and satchel charges. Granted in practise things don't usually go as rosy for the dug in underdog as in Saving Private Ryan because your enemy is not a Hollywood Idiot Villain who just keeps running into every ambush and never surprises you.

But in the case of Manchuria 1945 I don't think the decisive element was that Soviet soldiers were better trained or that they had better equipment. Sure, they had all of those advantages and numerical advantage, but above all there was the doctrinal element that allowed using all of those advantages to penetrate Japanese lines and conquer all of Manchuria, northern Korea and more in one and a half weeks. Even a more equally footed Japanese army would have had a really hard time stopping the offensive because they weren't used to the kind of warfare that Soviets had honed against Germans. They couldn't do that even in 1938-39, but those were small scuffles compared to what kind of organization and planning 1945 required.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cessna posted:

Huh, 62 new posts since I logged in, I hope it isn't more "would Japan have surrendered if we hadn't dropped the a-bomb" talk...

What more do you want?!

ARMORED CAR KUBELWAGEN

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Jobbo_Fett posted:

ARMORED CAR KUBELWAGEN

:getin:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Unfortunately 'attrappe' (bait) were just mock up for anti-tank training.

If a kit like that compatible with my car was available, I would definitely buy and install it, though. Even if it made parking anywhere impossible because of how wide it was.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

Perhaps, but in theory you might snipe out the infantry cover from a defilade position and then approach the tanks using terrain and smoke to your advantage with mines and satchel charges. Granted in practise things don't usually go as rosy for the dug in underdog as in Saving Private Ryan because your enemy is not a Hollywood Idiot Villain who just keeps running into every ambush and never surprises you.

But in the case of Manchuria 1945 I don't think the decisive element was that Soviet soldiers were better trained or that they had better equipment. Sure, they had all of those advantages and numerical advantage, but above all there was the doctrinal element that allowed using all of those advantages to penetrate Japanese lines and conquer all of Manchuria, northern Korea and more in one and a half weeks. Even a more equally footed Japanese army would have had a really hard time stopping the offensive because they weren't used to the kind of warfare that Soviets had honed against Germans. They couldn't do that even in 1938-39, but those were small scuffles compared to what kind of organization and planning 1945 required.

A part of the Soviet success can be attributed to the element of surprise. A colossal force marched through the Gobi desert and over the Greater Khingan mountains at blinding speed and just kind of appeared in the Japanese rear. With the power of hindsight the Japanese may have guessed that all of the Soviet fuel supplies are lagging behind the spearheads and only a small number of available tanks were moving forward, but at the time they pretty much appeared out of nowhere.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The Japanese were also mid-reorganization/redeployment. They had figured the Soviets were going to attack but thought they had more time and weren't fully completed their preparations to dig in behind more suitable terrain, and the general in command was away in Tokyo attending a conference.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

This email was in my inbox tonight and my first thought was the milhist thread:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

FuturePastNow posted:

I’ve come to loathe superlatives, especially the ones used without a predicate

TerraCat
Jul 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

FuturePastNow posted:

It was expensive to make and came in sizes so soldiers had a good chance of having their helmet not fit.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

FuturePastNow posted:

I get so many garbage questions in my quora inbox.

On the other hand so many of the questions are so garbage and the replies also garbage that you have a good chance just from reading this thread of having better answers than 99% of the other answers in Quora so its great for ones ego.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the german helmet was best because steez uber alles

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
KRUPP STEEL

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
In case I haven't gotten on everyone's nerves with tank talk yet, I'm doing an AMA on Reddit about my new book: https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistori...tm_source=share

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad
Hey whats a good place to look at napoleonic uniforms if i want to make one myself? feel like i need a military jacket from the era and now that i have a girlfriend that sews for a living it seems achievable.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Literally everything I've read about WW2 has led me to the conclusion that every answer to why the Germans did so well at the start of WW2 was that the Allies were really, really bad until they weren't.

And that most German stuff was over-engineered, needlessly complex garbage that needed too many people to make it, cost too much, took too much time, and was only sometimes marginally better than the Allied equivalent and often way, way worse.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
"Honey I love you. I want to take our relationship to the next level. There is something I want to try. I have... needs."

*eyes gleaming* "What is it? I'm probably game"

*pulls out manila folder overflowing with tracing paper entitled "Grand Armee Lieutenant Parade Blouse"*

TerraCat
Jul 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Hey whats a good place to look at napoleonic uniforms if i want to make one myself? feel like i need a military jacket from the era and now that i have a girlfriend that sews for a living it seems achievable.

Similarly, are the artillery troops in the photo wearing the blue and khaki uniforms that the Army used in the Spanish American war?

TerraCat
Jul 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

A Festivus Miracle posted:

Literally everything I've read about WW2 has led me to the conclusion that every answer to why the Germans did so well at the start of WW2 was that the Allies were really, really bad until they weren't.

And that most German stuff was over-engineered, needlessly complex garbage that needed too many people to make it, cost too much, took too much time, and was only sometimes marginally better than the Allied equivalent and often way, way worse.

That's interesting. My great uncle was in the US infantry in North Africa, Sicily, and Italy and always said that the Germans had the best made equipment of anyone in the war.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

TerraCat posted:

That's interesting. My great uncle was in the US infantry in North Africa, Sicily, and Italy and always said that the Germans had the best made equipment of anyone in the war.

Look, I wouldn't tell him he's wrong, but - he's wrong. It's difficult to fairly evaluate your enemy's stuff in the heat of things.

The fact is that some of their stuff was good. I'd hate to be a US GI going up against an MG42, for example.

But the stuff that WAS decent was often ludicrously inefficient, in that it took disproportionate labor and expense to produce it. Sure, you've got a helmet that is as good as a GI's helmet, maybe even a tiny fraction better - but in a war of production, is it efficient to produce that helmet if it requires vastly more time and labor to produce, a helmet that is a bespoke luxury item that is wrapped in a specially made paper covering before it is sent to the front to keep it from being scratched in transit?

And a whole lot of their stuff was just flat-out garbage; I've made many posts on their uniforms and personal gear to back this up.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

A Festivus Miracle posted:

I wonder if the war had been shorter if someone had steed up during the phony war

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Isn't there something about how propaganda is well-served by making the enemy simultaneously hyper-competent and a buffoon? So you want to make them out to be these horribly intelligent, organized, well-equipped foes? Or was that just a fascism thing?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Honestly, while I feel it's good dispel the Wehraboo myths about German equipment, I feel like this thread or even this forum sometimes goes too far in the other direction in dismissing all of it as inefficient and over-engineered crap or whatever. Miltiary procurement and such could and can be a right mess in just about any country, Nazi Germany was no exception.
Many of the peculiarities or perceived over-engineered nature of much German equipment comes from the limitations much of their industry was working (being basically starved of imports and foreign investment as well as generally having a more traditional method of factory organization requiring more skilled laborers driving up the cost and time to produce equipment in general) under rather than a conscious choice to make the items over-engineered or or whatever.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Isn't there something about how propaganda is well-served by making the enemy simultaneously hyper-competent and a buffoon? So you want to make them out to be these horribly intelligent, organized, well-equipped foes? Or was that just a fascism thing?

This is by no means limited to fascism.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

No government wants to tell the grieving mothers of fallen soldiers that their sons died fighting a bunch of slack-jawed morons in a war that was ultimately pointless and in which the victory was a foregone conclusion.

Randarkman posted:

Honestly, while I feel it's good dispel the Wehraboo myths about German equipment, I feel like this thread or even this forum sometimes goes too far in the other direction in dismissing all of it as inefficient and over-engineered crap or whatever. Miltiary procurement and such could and can be a right mess in just about any country, Nazi Germany was no exception.
Many of the peculiarities or perceived over-engineered nature of much German equipment comes from the limitations much of their industry was working (being basically starved of imports and foreign investment as well as generally having a more traditional method of factory organization requiring more skilled laborers driving up the cost and time to produce equipment in general) under rather than a conscious choice to make the items over-engineered or or whatever.

If anything it makes the Allies and the Soviets look even more criminally inept if a circus troupe of history's most incompetent soldiers and commanders equipped exclusively with stuff not even fit to grace a dumpster managed to keep them on the back foot for several years.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Randarkman posted:

Honestly, while I feel it's good dispel the Wehraboo myths about German equipment, I feel like this thread or even this forum sometimes goes too far in the other direction in dismissing all of it as inefficient and over-engineered crap or whatever.

No one, especially not me, has said "all."

Randarkman posted:

Miltiary procurement and such could and can be a right mess in just about any country, Nazi Germany was no exception.

A lot of their inefficiencies were self-inflicted nonetheless.

Do I need to talk about uniforms more? Because they're a good example of completely unnecessary inefficiency - repeated millions and millions and millions of times over - that had nothing to do with a lack of imports, foreign investment, factory organization, etc. If anything, simplifying their uniforms would not only have allowed them to use vastly less labor but less skilled labor.

And, yes, this was a clear, conscious choice made by the Wehrmacht. By 1943 - and even moreso in 1944 - they chose to make simplified uniforms, and there was a lot of push-back from Wehrmacht higher-ups who said that doing so would be bad for morale.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Cessna posted:

No one, especially not me, has said "all."

Sorry for making the implication.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

steinrokkan posted:

If anything it makes the Allies and the Soviets look even more criminally inept if a circus troupe of history's most incompetent soldiers and commanders equipped exclusively with stuff not even fit to grace a dumpster managed to keep them on the back foot for several years.

I dunno, if you gave ten million inept people sharp sticks and set them loose with instructions to inflict as much mayhem as possible they'd cause a lot of problems.

Again, to be clear, I am not saying all German stuff was garbage. But I will point out that their reputation for efficiency is undeserved, and will provide plenty of examples of them making bad uniforms/equipment/etc.

Edit: And, while we're at it - you can sooooort of get away with inefficiencies if you're fighting the sort of war the Nazis wanted to fight. Quick, decisive attacks that cause a militarily weaker enemy to collapse, like Poland in 1939. Or better yet, quick, decisive occupations where the army moves in before anyone really knows what is happening, like Czechoslovakia in 1938.

When your army is mainly there to look intimidating in parades in newsreels you can get away with doing a lot of tailoring for every soldier. But when you're in a war of production, where every resource must be used in as efficient of a way as possible, you can't do this unless you have VASTLY more resources, which the Germans absolutely did not. They didn't seem to grasp this until they'd already lost.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 10, 2021

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Waging a war in the 20th century was about being able to equip hundreds of millions of abled bodied men with *something*, and then delivering zillions of tons of explosives via artillery or airplanes or battleships to let them occupy enemy territory.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I would also add that a lot of what we known now is based on hindsight and research, and was not at all obvious or foreseeable to people at the time.

Living in the information era creates a massive context problem for trying to imagine what it was like back.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Cessna posted:

Do I need to talk about uniforms more? Because they're a good example of completely unnecessary inefficiency - repeated millions and millions and millions of times over - that had nothing to do with a lack of imports, foreign investment, factory organization, etc. If anything, simplifying their uniforms would not only have allowed them to use vastly less labor but less skilled labor.

And, yes, this was a clear, conscious choice made by the Wehrmacht. By 1943 - and even moreso in 1944 - they chose to make simplified uniforms, and there was a lot of push-back from Wehrmacht higher-ups who said that doing so would be bad for morale.

This seems like a good case yeah, and was probably made even worse because, at least according to Wages of Destruction, the German textile industry basically received the lowest priority for imports (the Nazi regime extensively controlled and restricted imports, on essentially a case-by-case basis, in order to preserve their rapidly dwindling foreign currency reserves) out of all of German industry, and during much of the 30s many textile factories were expressly forbidden to operate for more than 36 hours a week and were required to resort more and more to (sometimes qutie expensive) German-produced synthetic fibers instead of importing natural fibers. That said, I'm sure exceptions to this would have to have been made for the productions of textiles for the armed forces, especially once the Four Year Plan started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
There is also the way that troops-on-the-ground are often some of the worst people to opine usefully on an opponent's gear - they're myopically focused on what is in front of them (and shooting at them) and don't see the weaknesses that exist in other areas (production, supply, training, maintenance, etc.)

If all you have to go on is the time you faced off against a Tiger, then you're probably going to be very impressed with it. But your very vivid impression doesn't take into account the extra resources and time it took to build it, or the difficulty it had just driving into the battle zone with out breaking down or shredding its transmission. Wargaming sand-table stats about armor thickness and muzzle velocity aren't the whole story, or even the most important parts of the story.

Plus, I suspect bitching about your equipment and the cheap stupid so-and-sos who issued it to you has been something soliders have been doing nonstop since at least the battle of Kadesh.