Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

This is madness. I'm in all the way.

I'll claim USS Seawolf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Grumio posted:

You absolute madman.

Are we doing lucky ships again? If so, I claim the USS Lexington

Reply #3, day #3, a coincidence? I think not!

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

The USS Seawolf would like to forward video of today's action to BuOrd.

Six clunks! On the same ship! Fix the torpedoes, dammit! Had to freaking surface and finish her off with the deck guns. When seven torpedoes hit a merchant ship, that ship should be in itty bitty pieces all over the general vicinity, not steaming away at full speed.

(I picked a sub knowing this would be a problem, but that's still an amazingly irritating thing to see!)

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Now imagine what it was like for the actual submariners in the actual war!

Oh, for sure. I almost put something about it being amusing, but the thought of actually being in a tin can whose primary protection is not being seen and tasked with doing your job using only weapons that just plain don't work isn't amusing at all.

I've also played a fair amount of Silent Hunter on realistic settings (and a lot more on less realistic ones, to be fair), and the early part of the campaign is miserable if you're in any of the boats that load Mark 14s.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, the map takes some getting used to. My understanding is that it's done the way it is to make distances accurate without needing to distort the actual shape of the map, but I'm sure other people know a lot more about that than me.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Given Japanese damage control, it seems unlikely that the Ryujo will survive to make it back to port. She's practically unarmored, so all those shell hits should have done pretty serious damage. Shame about the Dutch TF, though.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, that's a totally reasonable tradeoff. The US alone had 377 destroyers in WW2, and while cruisers are harder to come by, two light cruisers and three destroyers is a trade you'll take every time for either destroying or long-term crippling one of the IJN's handful of carriers. It'll become a worse trade if the Kido Butai over there finds Marblehead's TF and savages it, but still probably worthwhile overall.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Alchenar posted:

It would be but the mod changes to default pilot experience helps out Japan a bit here.

Wrong WitP thread. Grey isn't using mods as far as I know.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Hot drat, that was brutal. That buys you a ton of breathing room, Japan doesn't have tons of excess troops thanks to being bogged down in China. And there's always a small chance those cruisers won't make it home, Japan doesn't do well with burning ships.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Man, the AI is falling to pieces with its transports. The ones suiciding into Singapore Fortress are especially egregious since it can't even be excused by a hard-coded "send transports on this date" thing. Singapore didn't fall in real life for another two weeks (2/15/1942), so there's no reason to assume it would be owned by Japan already.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Marblehead's TF is going to get all the medals when they get back into port. Carriers are sexy but it's the CLs and DDs that are carrying the war for the allies at the moment.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I think you posted the video for 2/22 and the summary for 2/23.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Grey Hunter posted:

The date of the ops report is from the next day, the just how the game works, or I am really screwing up!

Yeah, but the ops report you showed for the 2/23 video is dated 2/25.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

If you played the 23rd, how could it report ships sunk on the 24th? You're posting a day in advance for the results, exemplified by ships sunk a day before we see them in the videos.

You get the report for day X at the start of day X+1. Grey's giving us the reports dated day X+2, though.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

A shame that your pilots couldn't confirm the Mogami, but the fact that they didn't spot it in that final attack wave is a good indication that it sunk. The other good indicators are the dozen or so 1000 pound semi-armor-piercing bombs that exploded inside its hull thousands of miles from anywhere it could fix that damage.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Well, it's good that Japan's still got some fight in them for now. With all the logistical and troop losses they've taken, it's hard to believe they'll have too left by mid 1943.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Graaaaaay! You got my ship sunk!

Now I need a new lucky ship.