Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
:siren: https://blaise-rascal.itch.io/egg-game-demo :siren:

Version 0.5 is out! Theoretically it should be possible to win the game now but I haven't actually tried yet. It is probably way too hard, if I had to guess.

New in this version:
-Enemies periodically appear. Use left mouse button to fire eggs at them to drive them away! Watch out, they'll kill you and eat your chickens
-There is a new item for sale, called the "win game" item! Buy it to win the game!

I still haven't gotten around to adding the song or the new eggs but it will happen, I assure you all. Also other stuff I need to do. Oh, and at this rate I am planning to use PM's dino model for the main character, since I didn't have time to make a main character unit. Maybe I'll give the dino a farmer hat!

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous

pro gamer :c00lbutt:

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

blaise rascal

Oh good, I'm so glad it's possible to win!

I think I need to redo the enemy mechanics. The way it is now, it's totally possible for the enemy to kill all your chickens based on RNG, and you can't stop it.

Anyway, I'm trying to finish this in the next 3.5 hours. Home stretch baby!

blaise rascal

blaise rascal posted:

I think I need to redo the enemy mechanics. The way it is now, it's totally possible for the enemy to kill all your chickens based on RNG, and you can't stop it.
Well, we'll see if I have time...

blaise rascal

Bios: Do you have any comments from your playtest of the game? Please feel free to be critical

nut

are the enemies supposed to show up 2 at a time? Once I hit 5ish chickens they seem to show up and take most of them before i can fight back, but it could be that im a bad gamer 2

blaise rascal

nut posted:

are the enemies supposed to show up 2 at a time? Once I hit 5ish chickens they seem to show up and take most of them before i can fight back, but it could be that im a bad gamer 2
Yeah, the first time an enemy shows up it's just 1, and every time after that, it's 2. I agree that I am NOT happy with how the enemies are now; they're way too tough and luck-based.

My ideal enemy behavior is as follows:
-The enemies start from way outside the fence and move towards you at a steady pace. No more charging!
-The enemies periodically fire projectiles at you which you must dodge (but which don't destroy chickens!)
-Your shots knock the enemies back in the direction they were hit. THIS IS KEY because you can keep enemies away from your chickens indefinitely simply by firing at them! (as in, the rate the cats get knocked back by a steady stream of shots should be greater than their movement speed toward you)

Here's hoping I have time for this! For now I'm doing necessary stuff like adding music and the main character sprite.

biosterous

stuff:
- it would be nice to have some sort of indicator of the direction of the enemy (maybe only if they're not on screen)
- i had a couple close calls being caught between an enemy and a fence - it might be nice to be able to clip through them, maybe during iframe immunity or something? or maybe they bounce off you on a hit, which could lead to some tactical damage-taking to save a chicken
- the fact that the eggs you shoot all look like the different eggs you collect, not some generic projectile, is very good and i love it

pro strats:
- i usually had four or five chickens. if you're clever with your corn placement, you can sort of herd them and keep them generally within one third of the yard
- it's generally good to always have one piece of corn on the ground, so you can see a bunch of chickens charging in and count how many more you need to drop
- if you buy a bunch of chickens within a short period of time, they'll also get hungry at around the same time, which makes herding a lot easier
- if a chicken wanders off out of herding range, oh well, it's gonna die. the eggs it drops off screen are now ammo pickups for enemy invasions.
- run away from the chickens when the enemies appear, try to lead the cats to the opposite side of the fence. grab eggs from abandoned chickens during and/or right after the fights, then charge back to your chicken herd and give them corn, they're probably hungry again. replace losses up to 4 or 5 chickens and get back to herding

gallery of sigs

he/him

blaise rascal

:siren: Version 0.6 is out! :siren:

https://blaise-rascal.itch.io/egg-game-demo

Features:
-a main character sprite! Drawn by Plant Monster but I colored it red so it'd stand out better
-your shots now knock back the enemy!
-added a poo poo ton of new eggs!

blaise rascal

whoops, I accidentally exported a version where you start with 100 eggs. this is the correct version now

biosterous

what if the "you win" button was a genetic mutator that turned the chickens into dinos, and then you had dino friends hooray, that sounds like a victory to me

gallery of sigs

he/him

blaise rascal

https://blaise-rascal.itch.io/egg-game-demo

new version with plant monster's music! i'd like to add a more exciting song that only plays in the combat scenes, eventually

blaise rascal

biosterous posted:

what if the "you win" button was a genetic mutator that turned the chickens into dinos, and then you had dino friends hooray, that sounds like a victory to me

whoa

itry

Chickens are already dumb raptors.

blaise rascal

:catdrugs: :catdrugs: IT IS DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!! :catdrugs: :catdrugs:

https://blaise-rascal.itch.io/egg-game

Total number of eggs: 56
Number of people who contributed to the game: 12
People who contributed to the game: blaise rascal, plant monster, khanstant, pseudorandom, nut, posting smiling, heather papps, horrible butts, biosterous, sk, prof. crocodile, & itry (please let me know if I forgot someone!)
When submitted:

Stuff I never got around to adding: lil swamp booger baby's voice lines, heather papp's voice lines, kief richards's butthole drawing, sid's mummy egg

blaise rascal

Also: Let me know if you worked on the game and want your itch.io account credited on the game's page

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

blaise rascal posted:

Also: Let me know if you worked on the game and want your itch.io account credited on the game's page

i'm simplyzalp if you want to add me! i don't have anything else on there

Join the BYOB Army

thank you again Saoshyant!!

blaise rascal

https://i.imgur.com/jKGQDYX.png

All the eggs in the game.

sk posted:

i'm simplyzalp if you want to add me! i don't have anything else on there

Okay I'll add you as soon as I figure out how

biosterous

i beat egg game i am king champion egg of egg game, for now

gallery of sigs

he/him

blaise rascal

biosterous posted:

i beat egg game i am king champion egg of egg game, for now
one of the features that I really wanted to include was a message on the game-win screen saying how long you took to win, so you could find out for sure who is the king champion egg of egg game. ran out of time though!

blaise rascal

Okay, I have had a minute to think about this project. And here are my thoughts!

I find it amazingly cool that so many people contributed to this. You all are superstars, and you made this game cute and funny. Just look at these incredible screenshots featuring your art! And this isn't even getting into the amazing egg art!

To be honest, I think the gameplay is kind of crap. It is difficult, poorly explained, and gives you carpal tunnel to play. So, if my end of the bargain was the concepting & programming, I apologize if I didn't hold it up and make a good base game. Certain game pieces, like the chicken A.I., seemed to work very well, but the whole definitely felt less than the sum of the parts. It's possible that parameters could be tweaked to make it a more fun game, but honestly the base idea of the game feels simply less than amazing.

That being said, I still consider this project a success, in the sense that a very large number of people all managed to contribute. I wanted the game to feel like a kitchen sink with new stuff coming at you constantly, and I think that ended up being the case. So, here's to you byob :cheers:

Khanstant
Blaise very sharp self critical analysis! One thought I had when playing was that this could be adapted into one of the idle/incremental/cookie-clicker type games. Like, at first you get the carpal from clicking the buttons and collecting the eggs, but say, you save up enough to keep all your chickens alive and manage to get 100 eggs stored up, you can buy an automatic egg collector, then save up to get a corn layer, then progressively more advanced versions of the those and eventually you're never pressing wasd to pickup anything, you just check in occasionally to see if youve saved up enough eggs to buy a new upgrade or thingy

blaise rascal

Khanstant posted:

Blaise very sharp self critical analysis! One thought I had when playing was that this could be adapted into one of the idle/incremental/cookie-clicker type games. Like, at first you get the carpal from clicking the buttons and collecting the eggs, but say, you save up enough to keep all your chickens alive and manage to get 100 eggs stored up, you can buy an automatic egg collector, then save up to get a corn layer, then progressively more advanced versions of the those and eventually you're never pressing wasd to pickup anything, you just check in occasionally to see if youve saved up enough eggs to buy a new upgrade or thingy
Yeah, I think you're onto something. When I thought of this concept, I was definitely inspired by idle/clicker games, as well as Insaniquarium and gaiadi, but I missed the fact that those games are very relaxing to play. I think next game jam I'm going to set aside more time to playtest & watch LPs of the games that are inspiring me, so I can better hone in on what the gameplay should feel like.

A few days from now when voting is over, I think I will update this game a bit. The priorities would be:
-Rebalance everything so that the game is calmer and easier, and so that the player doesn't have to do as much. There are lots of knobs I can tweak here to get this result: size of the arena, pickup range of eggs, lifespan of chickens, cost of items, health of the enemies, etc. etc. The only knob I can't tweak is the value of the egg pickup (it must be worth 1 egg to make sense logically) but I can work around that. I could also put in some features like an egg collector, but maybe not since that would be more work.
-Rework the enemy AI so that it is more deterministic (less random) and easier to defeat.
-Add more indicators of what's going on. Players should know when enemies are attacking, where the enemies are, when their chickens die of hunger, when their corn decomposes, etc.

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 21, 2020

blaise rascal

Also: If I do release an updated version of the game, it would give us the opportunity to include more eggs. We're currently at 56. Wonder if we could get just 13 more...

Horrible Butts
I think you should be hella proud of how cohesive, fun, and good looking the game is for only 9 days of work.
The eggs all "crack" me up and I loved making them. It was like painting easter eggs or threading popcorn to help set up a fun party.
Thanks for bringing this project to byob!

https://giant.gfycat.com/sillyremorsefuldipper.webm
Thank you Prof. Crocodile for the fun festive winter sig!
Arcane gob born of Khanstant's goblin gumball machine!

blaise rascal

Horrible Butts posted:

I think you should be hella proud of how cohesive, fun, and good looking the game is for only 9 days of work.
The eggs all "crack" me up and I loved making them. It was like painting easter eggs or threading popcorn to help set up a fun party.
Thanks for bringing this project to byob!
You're welcome! And thanks so much for contributing!

Here are the other egg games people made for this event:
https://itch.io/jam/godot-wild-jam-28/entries

I thought eggimals was pretty great

blaise rascal

updated gam
-you now pick up eggs from farther away
-chicken hunger now works as originally intended (eating a corn increases the chicken's fullness by a set amount, not to a set amount)
-there’s now an arrow announcing where enemies will appear, and they spawn in more sensible locations
-enemies now have visual health bars
-at the game-win screen, a timer reveals how long it took you to win
-fixed bug where some sound effects wouldn’t play sometimes
-many UI and balance tweaks, mostly designed to make the game easier and less click-intensive

https://blaise-rascal.itch.io/egg-game

this is probably the last update the game will have. goodbye, game!
also we got 17th out of 53 entries, for what it's worth

posting smiling
great job on the game blaise and everyone who contributed. the visuals came together really nicely and collecting all the eggs and seeing all the art was enough to make the gameplay worth doing. sorry i didn't end up contributing more, but i got preoccupied by the holidays.

Prof. Crocodile

just wanted to say that I adore this game, and I am delighted to have been a small part of it even though I think I only made like two eggs.

blaise rascal

Prof. Crocodile posted:

just wanted to say that I adore this game, and I am delighted to have been a small part of it even though I think I only made like two eggs.
you were an important contributor! thanks for the nice words!

posting smiling posted:

great job on the game blaise and everyone who contributed. the visuals came together really nicely and collecting all the eggs and seeing all the art was enough to make the gameplay worth doing. sorry i didn't end up contributing more, but i got preoccupied by the holidays.
understandable that you couldn't finish the shmup for this project, but I'd still love to see it if you ever do finish it. you contributed 2 very excellent eggs, and that is greatly appreciated!

blaise rascal

Hey what if... what if we revive the flash tub? And byob works together on games (and possibly animations) for the somethingawful front page?????

Lutha Mahtin

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Better hurry up, Flash is getting disabled forever after tomorrow ;)

blaise rascal

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Better hurry up, Flash is getting disabled forever after tomorrow ;)

yeah, it'd have to be called "html5 tub" which just doesn't have the same ring to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
lets wait for html6, much sixier