Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Eyyy woah pal,

This thread is about New York City, I've been there a few times and its kind of a crazy place. There have been a ton of movies and music made about it (most notably Home Alone 2) and the general consensus seems to be that its the "greatest city in the world". While I think any city that assigns itself the title of "greatest" has got to be full of poo poo, New York City has given us some amazing people:

- Woody Allen;
- Donald Trump;
- Mayor Rudolph Giuliani;
- Chevy Chase and;
- David Berkowitz

Its the city that brought us such great memes as Hulk Hogan doing 9/11. Something special happens to you when you move to "The Big Apple". It changes you inside. Take these fine folks for example:

True story, I once had a friend who moved to New York from The Midwest. They told me about what a unique and interesting person they had become, it was like they all of a sudden knew secrets that nobody else knew. They regaled me with tales of "walking to the end of the train where you get off so you can get right on the stairs and spend less time on the subway platform". My midwestern mind was blown. I had never been on an underground railroad like they had described, and the idea of efficiency was completely lost on my simple corn-fed brain.

Visiting NYC can be great fun though, especially if you are with someone who "knows the city". I would really suggest keeping any previous knowledge of this enigmatic city to yourself. There is nothing a "native" (moved to NYC greater than 3 years ago) New Yorker likes more than being your personal guide to their very special playground. They have bars that, get this, DONT HAVE A SIGN. THERES NO WAY OF KNOWING THE BAR IS THERE UNLESS YOU HAVE A REAL NEW YORKER WITH YOU. What could be within these hidden bars? Are they even legal?! Well yes they are, and inside are $40 Negronis.

A word to the wise though. If you are visiting someone in NYC do not I REPEAT DO NOT mention TIME SQUARE. The Time Square is the bane of all REAL New Yorkers. If you ask about going there they will stamp and snort and huff and holler. They hate it because its for tourists, and if your from New York then you don't have a New York minute for out of towners, they are always looking up at the buildings (boring), and staring at their maps (idiots). Its like COMON I'M WALKIN' HEAHH I GOTTA GET TO FUGGIN WALL STREET.

You can use this thread to talk about THE REAL NYC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
The Time Square is awful of course, but because the real hotness is The Time Cube

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

out-of-towners in new york will ask you for directions if you look miserable enough.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

More like Poo York lovely am I right ladies and gentlemen?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Eeyyyy I'm walkin' here

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ey whoa pal yaself.

*chews and pops bubblegum*

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I was in New York once for a week about 15 years ago. My two notable stories from that week.

1)I got very drunk in an Irish bar one night, and spent the wee hours of the morning discussing the various pros and cons of Princess Diana with a gay guy and a middle aged scottish woman. I was very hungover in the morning, but found a little milk bar style shop, (in New York they call them 'bodegas'), and had some orange/carrot juice mix. Fixed me right up.

2)I ate at the Hooters which was across the street from the studio where the filmed David Letterman.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
My least favorite verses in "Let's Get down" by Bow Wow and "Welcome to Atlanta (Remix)" are about New York. :smith:

eSports Chaebol posted:

The Time Square is awful of course, but because the real hotness is The Time Cube

deadass B

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
yeah i guess new york is OK but it's no york

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Ay, I'm fiduciary here!

cnut
May 3, 2016

How does a guy from Brooklyn say the alphabet? Fuckin' A, fuckin' B, fuckin' C...

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
One time in NYC i got two chili cheese dogs but they forgot the cheese on one of them

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Hey, you mess with one of us, you mess with ALL of us! Eyyyyy!

*saves Spider-Man from Doctor Octopus*

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Eyyyyyyy bada bing! I’m postin heeaahhhh!

Youse godda problem wit dat? Geddouddda heeaahhh!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
My wife graduated from NYU, and one day on the way to class she got on the subway and fell between the subway platform and train car door, held up by her kneecaps. Zero people attempted to help her out. She had to get out on her own.

One time me and her were walking and this guy must have thought I was a sucker because he came up to me and asked me if I liked rap music; figuring he just wanted to hand me a flyer or some poo poo I said "yeah" and he asked me my name and to listen to some of his music. I knew this scam so I just walked away. He walked behind me, and kept trying to intimidate me into giving him money. I just ignored him and kept walking; I wasn't going to be scared by this dude into giving him 10 bucks. He eventually gave up about 2 blocks down. Anyway, in actuality, I probably should have been scared of him because like a month later he was shot dead by police after pulling out a loving mac10 in Times Square and began bucking shots randomly. As soon as I saw it on the news I recognized him immediately. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/times-square-shooting-peddler-sold-cds-to-tourists-while-carrying-loaded-machine-gun-say-cops/

It's a cool city with insane food and amazing nightlife and culture but it literally smells like hot piss 24/7 and DiBlasio does absolutely nothing about the homeless people that literally beat my uncle and bit him across his entire back so I can't exactly say I regret moving away after we had kids.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
In New York they have some different restaurants than the ones in your town.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Heyyyyy I'm dying of covid ova here

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
New York is a dump, go to New New York

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i have smoked weed there as well, yes

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
NYC is alright but it's no Boise

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Ayyy Big Time Tommy here listening to the OlD SCHOOL!

Welcome to STRONG island babbbby

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
My first time in New York, an old guy in Central Park came up to me and my girlfriend and told us the most romantic thing to do in the city was to get the ferry to Staten Island just before sunset so you could watch lower Manhattan light up on the way back. He was right, so thanks for that, old guy.

My second time in New York, I got into an argument with the TSA guy at immigration because he didn't understand why I'd come back

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

My favorite nyc memory was in 2012 or 2013 iirc, that long rear end winter where it kept snowing. I was there right as the weeks of accumulated snow were finally melting. Did you know that new yorkers traditionally stop picking up dog poop when it snows? It's customary to just bury it in the snow. This way, when the snow finally melts, all of the winter's accumulated dog poo poo melts onto the sidewalk all at once for easy cleanup in one go. Very smart and efficient.

E: also, all the dogs were wearing shoes at the time, but it may just have been a passing fad

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
eeeeyyy i'm being ovah heah ovah heah!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Eyyyy I gadda Longisland for ya right heah pal!

*grabs crotch*

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

*buys a doubledecker couch and literally doubles his living space*

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I visited once and vowed to never do so again. New York is a dying, groaning vessel barely able to stay ahead of its own rapid decay. The sheer logistics of replenishing daily resources like food, or the removal of trash, is remiscent of the clogged arteries of a corpulent sickly man.

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
Saw this in the subway once. That's my NYC story.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Just now in my news feed

bartok
May 10, 2006

So how about that M&Ms store? My cousin says they genetically engineered a real life version of the sexy Green M&M from the commercials and you can gently caress it.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

eSports Chaebol posted:

i always thought the times square was a cube. thats what i imagine in my head when i think of "times square", a big cube

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

bartok posted:

So how about that M&Ms store? My cousin says they genetically engineered a real life version of the sexy Green M&M from the commercials and you can gently caress it.

Buddy...

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

*sees a man making puke angels in his own bright pink puke in the middle of a subway on a tuesday afternoon*

"only in new york man, lmao"

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
it is a travesty that the awful east coast gets the good timezone

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
The wife once said she wanted to see New York but I persuaded her that we need to see York first. And we're not going to York.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
did a ton of underage drinking in Chelsea once and the famed NYPD didn't even catch me :smuggo:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I remember one time being in the Toys R Us store in Times Square on the 2nd floor where they had that "bag your own candy, weigh it, and pay for it" thing. And they literally had a security guard who stood there the whole day yelling at people who were sneaking a gummy shark in their gullets. Just non-stop "Hey, you! Put that gummy shark back! You have to pay for that!" all day long. We were there filling our bags up for like 15 minutes and must have heard the security guard yell at 10 different people.

It always made me wonder how they could possibly justify having a security guard man the candy section all day. There's no way in hell the amount of candy that people snuck in their mouths could ever equate to what they were paying that security guard, no matter how low their wage was.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It's not about the money, it's about putting the consumers in their place

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I'm glad I'm already here so I know how cool it is.

givepatajob posted:

Saw this in the subway once. That's my NYC story.

I saw this written on the back of a bus seat (edit: at least I'm pretty sure that's what it was):

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

YeahTubaMike posted:

I saw this written on the back of a bus seat: