Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
The aerospace engineer could be one of the existing secondary characters who have changed career. Kat Dennings' character didn't have a physics background the last time we saw her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Marsupial Ape posted:

As someone said earlier, it's been more than a decade since her character was introduced in Thor as an intern. Her brush with superhuman hijinks could have caused her change her major and go into super-physics. A decade is plenty of time to get super good at something. As far as her hacking skills, hell, she could have been a script-kiddie when she was a teenager. You can do more than one thing.

I'm not saying it's a plot hole, I'm saying that they could justify bringing back half a dozen characters we haven't seen in ten years. Liv Tyler's character could have changed career in that time.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
The new timeline idea is because when they went back the first time it created a split timeline, so when Steve tries to go back the second time then logically it should take him back to another split timeline, not a version where he can replace stones (the stones won't get abducted in the timeline he goes back to because they can't change the past - that's the whole premise).

The way they talk about it it's as though Steve is expected to go back in time to the alternate timeline and hide from both the original Avengers and the endgame Avengers, until the moment he can replace the stones. Which is ironically how time travel works in back to the future 2.

Basically it doesn't make much sense. No time travel media does. It makes even less sense when you try and wonder how Steve returned from the alternate timeline where he got married.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

mind the walrus posted:

Seriously they do a visual diagram and everything, and Banner explains before the time travel that anything they do to change the past becomes the past retroactively. It's silly nonsense but all of this stuff is.

That's explicitly what Banner says doesn't happen - they can't change the past. Otherwise Thanos would have already have been dead well before Infinity War since they kill 2014 Thanos. They go back in time and change things, but those changes are now localised in a new timeline - they will affect the future of that timeline but not the original Prime timeline (which has an immutable past). The problem is that logic is inconsistent with the idea of 1) replacing the stones at the moment they were taken (because all the stone heist stuff was never part of their pasts, and within those timelines the reappearance of Steve just causes another timeline split), and also 2) Steve going the long way around to meet up at the time machine at the end of the film.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
But time is considered completely linearly everywhere else in the film, right until the end where they introduce that bootstrap/predestination thing with Cap always having been Peggy's wife (Prisoner of Azkaban rules). The only way to square that with the idea that 'you can't change the past' is if there was some Prime universe in which Cap goes missing, but he went back in time to marry Peggy which is now timeline B, and we haven't been following the Prime universe at all - we've been following a divergent timeline where Cap arrived in the 50's and married Peggy.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Hulk and Winter Soldier both outright murder people because they are not in full control of their powers. Neither of them really publicly atone or go through any redemptive process. They just sulk and brood on their own in space or Wakanda. They briefly touch upon the ethics, but only until the next threat shows up.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
The gag casting reveal of Evan Peters felt very Ocean's Twelve to me.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
I thought somebody confirmed that Steve didn't take the long way back to 2024. He lived a full life with Peggy then returned via the time travel mechanism, and just showed up on the bench for the theatricality I guess.

That makes his age indeterminate in that scene. He could be 80.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Is FATWS supposed to lead into any other upcoming movie? What other movies would these two possibly show up in? Black Panther 2?

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
The irony is that on the press circuits for these movies he's the only one with any personality whatsoever

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

BrianWilly posted:

Man, err'body got mortgage problems in these superhero shows nowadays. D'you think it says something about our generation that the most relatable problem that all the writers are writing about our lives is having to worry about money to pay back the bank?
:smith:

Really these people should all earn hundreds of thousands from speaking engagements, merch and licensing, or promotional stuff. Nobody except maybe Spider-man should be struggling with money.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Thundercracker posted:

Also I just rewatched Civil War and Falcon and Tony's last real interaction was Falcon indirectly crippling Rhody and Tony repulser blasting Falcon in the chest, so yeah...

They're together throughout Infinity War aren't they, with the exception of the scene in Scotland.

e: oh Tony. Tony goes to visit him in the cell to get Cap's location in Civil War.

Ravel fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 19, 2021

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Everyone posted:

Not that explicitly. The closest I recall was in Civil War with Tony giving Peter a "badly needed upgrade." In terms of "We have to pay these bills or we lose the house" it hasn't been much of a thing. Maybe with the Vulture in Homecoming, but as real world thing, not really. So I kind of liked that part.

Captain America posted:

I don't think I can afford a place in Brooklyn.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
But realistically he's incredibly wealthy without needing to get a small business loan anyway. Influencers today can make money with tens of thousands of followers, and Sam is established within the show as being globally recognised from the US to Tunisia, even if the bank representative took a moment to get it. He will be able to make money from lucrative media contracts like speaking engagements, or merch and licensing. The family business should be able to monetise its association with him regardless. All of the Earth Avengers who were present during Age of Ultron will be global superstars. It's just not plausible that he's struggling with such a small amount of money.

Winter Soldier has been anonymous or on the run until a few months ago so he might plausibly have that storyline. If they wanted to showcase institutional racism, they can do that via the Captain America successor plot.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Bleck posted:

hmm I wonder why a show about a black man in America would show him struggling socially and financially hmm I wonder hmm

Right, but for Sam specifically it doesn't make much sense. Nor would it make sense for Rhodes. Nor would it make sense for Black Panther, who's the wealthiest character in the show.

vv Right...if they showed him struggling for money, it would be implausible. He is the wrong character to show the intersection of race and wealth in America.

Ravel fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 20, 2021

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Bleck posted:

it's a good thing they aren't doing that and instead are doing it with the poor american black man

My point is that Sam is almost as implausible as the other two. There are clear themes about institutional racism to do with Captain America's succession, and I hope they go there but showing Sam personally not having immediate access to money is stretching things. It's like having a show about an NBA player and then inexplicably there are scenes where he pleads with his landlord to give him extra days for rent for his one bed apartment. Admirable if that's what they're going for, but it's a bit strange.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
He doesn't have to do commercials for Nike - he'll get literally hundreds of thousands for appearances and speeches at galas/universities/fundraisers. This is how, say, Barack Obama makes money, and is arguably less 'selling out' than selling his services to the US government to advance state interests.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Bleck posted:

y'all: I can't believe this show just expects us to believe he doesn't have money, which is the only reason I can think of for why a bank would not give him a loan

Bleck posted:

"the scene with the racism should have been set up in a way as to give us a way to interpret it as something other than racism"

Bleck posted:

hmm I wonder why a show about a black man in America would show him struggling socially and financially hmm I wonder hmm

Bleck posted:

can't wait to have to explain basic stuff about white supremacy to MCU fans every time a new episode of this drops

Mate, I'm neither white nor American, I'm South African - what's with the incredibly patronising takes as though everyone who's sceptical about whether public figure superheroes would have money issues just doesn't understand narratives about racism.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Bleck posted:

this is just another one of many constant and consistent attempts to denigrate any and all art that acknowledges that racism exists via the most inane and asinine methods possible

"surely the bank would give sam, a black convicted felon in the united states of america, a loan because he is famous"

You are not representing what people are saying - it is admirable to communicate some of the racial themes of this character, but it's disingenuous to do that via the mechanism of wealth insecurity for a character who by all rights should have no problem accessing money. Sam Wilson says that he's been working for the government for six months, and he's shown as being recognisable from Tunisia to the US. The loan he wants is as an alternative to selling a boat (which doesn't run when Sam tries to run it) and also to cover the cost of a home kitchen renovation. The scale of the money he needs and what he should be able to access as a global superstar is incongruous. Even if traditional sources of credit were overtly white supremacist, Sam shouldn't need to access them at all.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Thundercracker posted:

apparently any text other than the most obvious text is just gonna fly over people's heads when it comes to racism.

Nobody is disputing the racism. Sam experiences discrimination as a black man. Sam enjoys privilege as a globally recognisable superstar Avenger and one of the most famous people on Earth. The latter completely dominates his ability to raise 20k dollars without needing to go to a bank in the first place.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
The bank is not necessary at all for Sam to access credit. Even if all the banking institutions were overtly white supremacist, Sam can give one speech at a gala and earn ten times the amount that his kitchen renovation would cost He could do a community fundraiser and earn that much. That's the incongruity.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Marsupial Ape posted:

I think the reason this going on so long because there are three distinct schools of thought here that can’t get square with one another.

Yes, and I think part of it is disagreement about how famous the Avengers actually are, and we never really see them interact with normal people during the movies. The show is the first time we've seen them interact with non-powered people. One person upthread said Sam was probably as famous as a mid level WWE star, whereas to me he's probably like the second most famous person alive on the planet, after maybe Bruce Banner.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Philthy posted:

I call bullshit.

The userbase on the platform has had accelerated growth so every new show has probably more total viewers.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
The Natasha/Banner relationship stuff was filmed for Infinity War. There was a scene where Banner and Hulk manage to merge into Professor Hulk and then there's a short scene with Nat just before Thanos shows up. The whole sequence was cut.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
"After this we go on separate long vacations, and never see each other again" was a bit mean for two people who were otherwise pretty close all episode. The scene where Bucky falls on top of Sam in the field is straight out of Whedon's romance checklist.

Ravel fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 27, 2021

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

ShakeZula posted:

Huh, I had no idea he was Kurt Russell's son

Does this make them the first father-son duo to appear in the MCU?

Anthony Russo's son is one of the kids who asks Hulk for a photo in Endgame.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
There was a moment when Sam says 'Neither you nor Steve would understand' that I thought they would lean in to the idea that the concept of 'Captain America' might be inherently and inextricably wrapped up in associations of racism and colonialism.

Steve managed to walk the line where it was acceptable by opposing the US government more often than not, but if he had continued with lines like 'there's only one God' and been a more obvious state agent aligning his personal righteousness and idealism with American state interests, then the concept starts to be very shaky.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
He didn't really have an opportunity to tell Steve anyway. They were together for a brief time while they were trying to find Zemo. Unless it was post Thanos.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Moreau posted:

Bucky has gone up against Cap and Black Panther - and held his own.

Winter Soldier has held his own. As Bucky he's been a bit nerfed I think.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Superhero films as a genre can't really engage with bigger societal problems because most conflicts have to be solveable via individual levels of violence. It's not that America is inherently structurally discriminatory in its codes, legislation, and dominant cultural spaces; it's always the responsibility of bad agents. It's why the head of SWORD was corrupt and ended up shooting at kids. It's why Killmonger didn't propose global wealth expropriation and redistribution, but had to sponsor violence. It's because the Avengers have no real way to deal with the idea that racist communities elect racist representatives with help from a racist media. Who do the Avengers go and beat up to fix that? Tucker Carlson?

The villains are always idealistic, creative and proactive. The heroes are always reactive, only acting in response to threats of violence, and only responding via violence. How does an MCU show really engage with the idea that superheroes might be inherently fascist? It's admirable that the show is showcasing issues to an audience that might never engage with it otherwise, but I don't think they'll ever allow the writers to fully commit to the idea.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Geo Fixer posted:

Loki is still alive you know

He's alive in another timeline in 2012, but then so are all the others who have died. That Loki exists parallel from the current MCU, depending on what happens in his series.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Madripoor, Sokovia, and Wakanda are all racist, but it's a problem with most pop media. 24 used to invent Eastern European, Asian and African countries rather than deal with the baggage of learning anything about specific countries. This also allowed them to showcase as many stereotypes as they'd want because the places were fictional. Notice that for the most part Western cities are never fictionalised (Gotham excepting).

Having a South East Asian crime city is the problem - it's not absolved by casting everyone in it as white. Having a story about ancient mystical wizards in Tibet is already racist, and casting Tilda Swinton, Benedict Cumberbatch and Finn Jones as the characters just makes it more awkward. Not less.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Afrofuturism is one thing - the most advanced African nation having a monarchy where succession is determined by combat, and their military uses spears, shields and war rhinos, that's something else. I wasn't wild about the Mandela impression either but I think that was a personal choice by Boseman.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

live with fruit posted:

T'Challa's accent isn't based on Mandela, it's based on John Kani, who's also South African.

I'm South African. The accent is unmistakablely influenced by Mandela. Looking up interviews with Boseman he did use speeches to influence his accent.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Bust Rodd posted:

That’s an extremely Anglo-centric ideal of what “advanced” might mean and honestly the idea that black and African artists don’t know what a futuristic African society would be like comes off as racist, or at least implies that you think these people are ignorant of their own culture.

Afrofuturism in terms of the architecture, urban planning, and fashion is fine. There are no modern African political philosophy commentators seriously advocating monarchy or succession by combat. I doubt that African military strategists are advocating for bare feet and war rhinos either. Most of this comes off as exoticisation and colonial, and people said so at the time. There was a lot of African discourse complaining about how Killmonger undermined black radicalism too. But the point is that most of the problems here are with the source material - Wakanda as a vague African pastiche of cultures, Sokovia as a pastiche of Eastern European stereotypes, and now Madripoor as the South East Asian crime city.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Lord_Magmar posted:

from what I remember several people were very happy with Wakandan's portrayal of culture and aesthetic.

In the context where Africa is rarely shown on screen at all in huge blockbusters, let alone languages like Xhosa or pre-colonisation architecture, it's a huge step forward. In the context where people are discussing a media trend where non-western spaces are collapsed into vague pastiches of cultures, then Wakanda is not a huge step forward.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

In It For The Tank posted:

I feel like if the Wakandans wanted Zemo dead/kidnapped and taken to Wakanda, he would already be dead/kidnapped and taken to Wakanda.

Black Panther was the one who captured him at the end of Civil War and turned him over to the Americans

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
They're doing the same thing on a smaller scale with Walker. It's not enough to have him be a nice guy who's the beneficiary of privilege and represents institutional power. He has to be an arrogant power-crazed dick who roughs up the vulnerable.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Hellbore posted:

Aren't these usually the same thing?

No, Walker would still have represented privilege and institutional racism even if he, personally, was a nice guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Think about it this way - whenever banks and hiring committees overlook people and give jobs and resources to white guys who would otherwise have been rejected, there is no need to have the recipients themselves be personally and individually villainous.