Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I don't think I've seen it mentioned yet, but Agnes is being telegraphed as Agatha Harkness. Abbreviation of her name, appears in a witch costume in one of the trailers, and Auntie A's Kitty Litter appears in the animated opening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

thrawn527 posted:

So is everyone else in the town dead, but recreated by Wanda? Is that maybe what the neighbor was about to say?

There's a moment in the trailers where Agnes asks Vision if she's dead because he is.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I highly doubt this’ll end with Wanda as a Phase 4 villain since a) she’s clearly constructed this false reality as a response to her own recent traumas and b) there’s probably something/someone else influencing her and taking advantage of those traumas for some yet-to-be-revealed purpose.

I mean c’mon, the Avengers roster has thinned out enough, they aren’t going to turn one of the only senior members left into a big bad.

You don't necessarily have to turn her into a big, permanent villain. She started out as a minor villain in Age of Ultron and Bucky went from a primary antagonist as the Winter Soldier to an unstable weapon that needed mental reconditioning to finally becoming a full hero now. There's no reason Wanda can't be so unstable that she briefly becomes "villainous" before people are finally able to get to her and reverse her course before she's irredeemable.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I care about nothing except ensuring that Evan Peters remains in the MCU and keeps acting like this.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mooseontheloose posted:

Honestly, the writers should of basically kept it to all sentient life because "half of all life of all species" seems like the ecological devastation is too much. Also, i think they could of explored a little bit that Thanos didn't put himself in the random genocide because he clearly used the stones to survive. I KNOW why he had to from a narrative stand point but it would of been an interesting way to end his quest.

I'm pretty sure you're meant to recognize that Thanos was wrong and didn't think past "balance". Like, yes, he caused untold ecological and social devastation. That's the point. That's why he's the villain that they're going so far as to invent time travel to stop.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I always forget Inhumans existed until someone reminds me.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/hieronymus_burp/status/1366164535699210240

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think it was only rumored that any Thunderbolt Ross Red Hulk would appear.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Everyone posted:

It's odd about Sharon Carter, but it's possible that she was too deeply involved in her illegal stuff to come back until Sam and Bucky arranged for her to get re-instated in F/WS.

The implication I got from that was that Sharon was simply not as important as an Avenger to just be given a blanket pardon, and all of the Avengers completely forgot about her as they dealt with the Blip and time travel. They could have used their influence, but they never did. By the time Sam and Bucky even remembered she existed, she had already become the Power Broker.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Everything I've seen about Kamala is that she has no resemblance to any superhero character in the MCU or DCEU right now, and that's what I want to see.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rarity posted:

I mean, she's not too far off from Kate Bishop tbf

What I mean is appearance and behavior. Kate Bishop is conventionally attractive, athletic, and quirky. Kamala looks and acts like a completely average weird high schooler who probably goes to Comic Con.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, the actual appearance of Kamala is important. She visibly looks average and behaves like a dorky cosplayer. I love Kate Bishop but she’s basically a sculpted acrobat like most other heroes. Based on this trailer, Kamala Khan seems to be a legit normal person falling into this.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

Their relationship in that movie just makes no loving sense at all. Do any of you have a pair of straight friends, male and female, who spend every day hanging out together, work together… live together (or he sleeps at her place a lot) but aren’t a couple AND don’t have separate partners?

Yeah, the rest of us have normal relationships with other humans.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Remember that, despite what he originally said about not obeying his father when he was sent to kill the guy who murdered his mother, he actually did kill him. His dad had no reason to hunt or punish Shang-Chi.

He wasn't hiding out in fear for his safety. It was more, "gently caress you Murder Daddy. I'm going to live my own life. With valet parking and karaoke."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQXaYrVHCng

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

You don’t have to be a weird rear end in a top hat and imply I don’t have friends because we’re talking about comic book movies. I don’t think the relationship presented in the film is of a normal friendship, it seems codependent and maybe even unhealthy, because Shang Chi doesn’t appear to have a life or any kind of social network outside of her. The whole movie is just pushing them together over and over and over with no payoff, so it feels more like a rewrite to me than anything else.

If I had one friend who only hung out with me because I found him on the street and brought them home to grandma and then end up getting him a job at my job to help them out… at what point do stop and take stock? We’re all supposed to just go “oh yeah, I have a friend like Shang Chi, we’ve all got that one mysterious best friend whose life we know nothing about that we spend every moment with”?

You're doing a really bad job of implying that you know how normal human relationships work.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bust Rodd was too busy being Bust Rodd to watch the movie.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

LoL yeah I’m definitely the one making personal attacks for sure. What did I say about literally any of these four different posters who all decide to dunk on me? Not even for saying Shang chi is bad, but for saying I think the relationship between the two main characters is ill defined and weird? Why what the gently caress? I’m not doing anything wrong your all just dogpiling me because you see my name and just unfocus your eyes or something.

I don't think any of us are being as close to as mean as we could with you by this point in your time here.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

no I think it’s more that this thread is full of guys like this

https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/1504476400002248704?s=21

and I guess by asking questions about stuff the movies don’t explain I’ve become one of them.

"Actually the Hulk is fiction, much like the ability of single men and women to be friends without trying to gently caress. Why won't the girls I keep PMing respond to me????"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Just got sent this. Moon Knight is walking around Avengers Campus at Disneyland.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A girl I watch who does reaction videos had a good theory on what happened with the fish: Marc's escapades to get the scarab and get back to London accidentally killed Gus and he bought a replacement goldfish hoping Steven wouldn't notice when he woke up.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rarity posted:

I'm rewatching Ant-Man and the Wasp for the first time since it was in cinemas and I feel like it really got short-shrift for coming out right after Infinity War but watching it away from the impact of the cliffhanger and it's a very fun summer romp with a fantastic lead, one of Marvel's better villains and a great supporting cast. And now we've had Wandavision seeing Jimmy Woo makes me very happy. I really hope Ghost shows up again some time and gets a chance at redemption

The kitchen fight with Wasp is one of my favorites. The MCU is usually really good at creative choreography that uses characters' powers in interesting ways. One of the advantages of letting the professional stunt and VFX teams choreograph and pre-vis everything before you end up on set is that they tend to be much better at it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A lot of the fan reaction I've seen away from goons has been loving Steven because he's clearly a very nice, smart guy who's struggling immensely with what he thinks is just insomnia and sleepwalking but is actually being bodyjacked by a merc and Egyptian god. He can barely even get to work without falling asleep on the bus and is losing whole days of time from his mind. If he wasn't having the Moon Knight problems he'd probably be in much better shape and more successful. I'm interested to see how much of Steven is actually him being the "real body". Is he a guy with a true history from birth to now who's just having the soul of Marc Spector put into him through reincarnation bullshit, or is his whole believed life a lie and he's just calling a nonexistent number to leave his "mum" voicemails every day?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

Possibly? Although we see the scales tattoo just kind of freak out so maybe its powers don't work on him?

I think the more simple explanation is correct. According to Arthur, Ammit is judging people based on whether they'd commit evil even in the future. The body is inhabited by a very kind and awkward man and an amoral mercenary who will kill everyone around him if necessary. He doesn't have one soul to judge.

There's an interesting bit of Egyptian hieroglyphics relevant to this:

The logo for the show is surrounded by a cartouche, which was used to enclose royal names. It was one of the ways the Rosetta Stone could be used to translate them, by identifying proper names in the other languages on the stone. A line is placed on the end of the cartouche to indicate the direction you're meant to read the text in. The logo is a cartouche with lines on both ends.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rarity posted:

Getting mad at episodes I made up in my head

Bust Rodd!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Viscous Soda posted:

Counterpoint: Part of your pay was in beer, about a gallons worth IIRC.

Some living history reenactors have guessed that the daily ration was probably extremely low in alcohol, essentially like kvass, and the alcoholic beer was saved for downtime.

When you talk about whether or not the builders were "enslaved", something you have to also keep in mind is that Egypt didn't really have a modern economy and currency like we do today. You got paid in goods and food, and the labor was essentially equivalent to your taxes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That's a common myth. People in the past weren't stupid and they knew how to dig wells and keep drinking water clean. Alcohol was preferred because it had taste and alcohol in it. There's even an account of a medieval siege where the nobility stuck inside were whining that they had to drink plain water.

Also, someone posted this comment on a video and I need to check to see. Apparently the postcards Steven gets from his "mum" are the ones sold at the museum? If so, this guy's theory is that Marc has been imitating his mom when he takes over the body and writing the postcards to himself.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It's currently theorized that Marc or Jake has been trying to help Steven's life out by making him more outgoing and faking postcards from his mother, only to see them backfire when he doesn't remember the context of anything.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

mutata posted:

I think Steven's arc isn't going to be resolved via fighting prowess, and I didn't think him getting a bit awkward and cringe with some cockiness when he suddenly realizes he has some power was out of character for someone who is generally used to being walked all over in regular life. He's DEFINITELY not someone who is going to make the most logical decisions, especially under duress, so I think it's kind of weird to criticize the character for trying to fight a ghost jackal despite being out of his element. He also desperately wants to impress Layla. Also, he DID ultimately fail and give up. I have no experience, knowledge, or connection to Moon Knight other than this show, and the last 2 episodes have been great as far as I'm concerned.

Edit: Jesus, there are too many Steves and Stevens in this infinite Marvel universe.

It's unrealistic and bad writing for characters to ever make decisions that aren't 100% logical and perfect at all times, especially if they have emotions making them imperfect.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Steven is suspiciously disconnected from the reality of the world he’s living in.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Now imagine the car chase with him physically in the back. It’s a Three Stooges routine.

“Did he just throw the gun?”

“TRUCK! TRUCK!”

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PNO5aZV69M

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Takes No Damage posted:

Kumail Nanjiani sure got done dirty though; he made all those posts about working out and dieting for a year then never takes his shirt off and completely dips out for the 3rd act? :wtf:

He does get to wear that sick sleeveless Bollywood outfit and dance though.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

KPC_Mammon posted:

What did he do other than marrying a racist piece of poo poo? (which is unforgivable and says really bad things about his character, I just want to know your problem with him)

Wait what?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

Wow I definitely thought you were referring to ScarJo playing Major in Ghost in the Shell, I didn’t realize that she was an IDF supporter or that Blake Lively likes to cosplay as slave era southern belles. I’m so glad professional actors are completely normal!

Don't try to speak too loudly on what being normal is, Bust Rodd.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ClydeFrog posted:

Kazmeyer - thank you very much for flagging the Audible Egypt stuff. It's really good.

Also were those white crocs Steven busted out for his version of the suit?

I need to look again but I think they were loafers resembling foot wrappings.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Unrelated, I really like the Egyptian-style music they used for the fight scene in this one, especially when it synchronized to the punches before Steven took over.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Eiba posted:

In stark contrast the puzzle that they solve by taping together pieces of thousands of year old cloth. [iThat[/i] was incredibly dumb and terrible looking and makes no sense. Like, if you want to nitpick about things that were strikingly bad and took you out of the moment, that dumb tape puzzle was right there.

Personally the terrible cloth puzzle didn't ruin the episode for me or anything, but if you're going to criticize something for being plot critical nonsense... that's way more nonsense than the fairly nifty star manipulation scene.

That material actually probably would have survived the tape and folding job they were doing as long as they were careful enough. We have massive amounts of papyrus that was stored for just as long and remains intact enough to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Test Pattern posted:

I'm probably wrong, but I suspect we saw Jake on-screen this episode, while they're driving from the rich guy's place to the desert. It didn't sound like either Marc or Steven's accent, and he was acting just a bit different. I wonder if Jake has a different suit than the other two.

I rewatched it and you're absolutely right. He's slipping into a sort of New York accent when telling Layla that Harrow is trying to get in her head and is doing a lot of talking with his hands. In the boat trip with Layla earlier, he's completely still. Oscar Isaac's a good enough actor that if his behavior is suddenly changing from normal Marc, there's probably a reason. I still sometimes forget it's him as Steven, especially with the Mr. Knight suit on.