Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also he only had trouble in the fight with Anton's men while wearing the suit when Steven stupidly took over to try and call a time out. Even then, it was only a temporary setback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lammasu posted:

I don't see why with all the poo poo going on in the world today people find the energy to hate Funko Pops.

Not all goons are off their depression meds.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Everyone posted:

The thing with the courtroom to consider is that Khonshu takes a "courtroom" and turns it into a popularity contest despite the fact that Khonshu is extremely unpopular with the Ennead. Because Khonshu is... not exactly stupid, but a little bit in his own head too much.

It's also important for establishing why Harrow can get away with everything he does. Khonshu is an angry outcast and apparently the only god still trying to use his avatars as a way of direct influence on the world through violence (other than Ammit, possibly), and when he's actually given an opportunity to try and argue his case he does it in the worst way possible and guarantees that he'll have to use his most desperate last resort because he can't even collect and present evidence without yelling about how he knows better than the rest of them. Moon Knight and Layla are having to save the world with the source of their power being an unreasonable rear end in a top hat.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Can goons stop just being loving weird for a day

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Still consistently impressed with Oscar Isaac. Steven and Marc are different enough that they come off as people with a resemblance to each other rather than the same actor.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D86Mqk8TVqE&t=296s

Spoilers without context.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Avalerion posted:

So was the random zombie just... a random zombie? Or did I miss what was up with that thing?

The Heka? Explained immediately before its appearance?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I think that the show is not adequately getting across that Konshu is very mercurial and can be anything from a very petty violent punk to a benevolent protector and everything in-between. Konshu is not wise, not nice, and not all-knowing, he's got a relatively narrow area of power and an extremely short fuse and bad temper. He's the Egyptian God equivalent of the trenchcoat and fedora guy with a basement full of weapons and a chip on his shoulder, constantly muttering "the other Gods don't take me seriously...but I'll show them....I am true justice....buncha assholes."

The show is getting it across very well and nothing is ambiguous or difficult, goons just tend to half pay attention to things and then jump in to say they didn't understand anything and everything sucks.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ7bQ0lRMxs

They should have used this as the end credits song for episode 4.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I remember initially thinking Marc was pretending to be Steven's mom to keep up an illusion. I had no idea it would lead to this!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, we can never say enough how good of an actor Oscar Isaac is. I could probably tell Steven and Marc apart with nothing but their faces.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ravel posted:

The hair and makeup is slightly different to assist here.

Where you can really see it is the shiva. He switches without his hair or makeup changing and even the way he looks around and moves his mouth when he talks becomes immediately different. You can mute the audio and tell who's who.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Is that loving 90s animated Professor X in live action played by Patrick Stewart

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is what Jake is doing in the sarcophagus.

Also, I saw a good theory that I agree with. The third personality/Jake is a trauma split like Steven Grant, but specifically his rage trying to retaliate against the abuse. We see him for sure when Marc is knocked out in Egypt, but there's also the incredibly bloody ways the bad guys in the first episode were killed when they tried to take the scarab before the cupcake chase, the unusual behavior "Marc" had after the fight with Anton where he's trying to avoid talking to Layla about anything on the drive, and the way "Marc" is acting in this episode at the beginning in Harrow's office with the broken nose where he's very rageful and barely speaking.

Marc didn't even seem to know he existed in episode 3, so there's a good possibility that Jake is an unknown-to-him split that takes over when serious physical trauma causes him to lash out. Khonshu and Steven could very well have thought they were communicating to Marc when it was actually Jake trying to pretend otherwise.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 29, 2022

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.marvel.com/articles/tv-shows/moon-knight-antonia-salib-taweret

Details on Antonia Salib's portrayal of Taweret. This is her first ever IMDB credit, and they filmed it with her wearing giant platform hippo shoes and dressed in all the costume clothing and jewelry in her place on set so she could be properly in character and provide reference motion for the CGI hippo.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

killer crane posted:

This tracks, when therapist Harrow is asking who was the real person. Did Marc created Steven to hide from trauma, or did Steven create Marc to lash out? What if Marc created both?

My guess is that Jake is a personality Marc didn't even know about, because he seems to only appear when he blacks out from pain or injury. Steven gets to be the happy alt with a normal life who can forget about his abuse, but he also accidentally created an alt that responds to the belt by fighting back.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The job we see Steven having is very menial, so presumably he wasn't doing a hell of a lot of "living" for most of his existence. The shiva is I think only 2 months before the show begins.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Andrew Garfield was directly asked to his face if he was in No Way Home and he said no, even though footage of him on set had already leaked.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, someone on Tumblr brought up an incredibly sad interpretation of things. Remember how Randall is the one who drew the one-finned fish, and Steven never experienced the abuse even seconds after he first appeared? Marc was taking over for all of the bad stuff so Steven could live happily in ignorance.

Steven was Marc’s replacement for the brother he couldn’t protect.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPCJvTq9wiU

Pyramid fight is definitely Harrow vs. Moon Knight.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

kazil posted:

The longer the show, the more it costs.

And I guess it's more expensive to hire a stunt coordinator and have a real fight than it is to have an intern slap cheap CGI lasers on to everything.

Interns don't slap cheap CGI lasers on stuff.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jane does identify the scientific principles of some Asgardian magic while experiencing it. Presumably magic and gods and the afterlife and so on simply fall into the "sufficiently advanced science" field: they're natural and can be analyzed, but we don't have anywhere close to the instruments to do so.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Love that it sounds like MoM will annoy most MCU fans but delight Sam Raimi fans. As I much more the latter, I am excited.

The negative reviews I've seen have described it as too confusing and chaotic and like....I just watched Everything, Everywhere, All At Once recently. I understood that movie just fine and it's going to surpass Uncut Gems for profit for A24. Maybe y'all just suck at watching things.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rarity posted:

Apparently May Calamawy did the scene where she jumps between being Layla and Tawaret on 30 minutes notice :stare:

The MCU has so many good performances that get dismissed because it’s “just superhero blockbusters.”

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

RandomReader posted:

Okay, but that child isn't real. She's a fictional character, and I can see the puppet strings putting a child on the scene and making it's puppet point out Layla's ethnicity/nationality for the whole world to applaud. I know all the characters are fictional and their positioning and dialogue are all equally arbitrary to serve the needs of the story, but I don't care for the story of this child so the strings stand out.

You’re saying way more about yourself than TV here.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Goons will never stop trying to find ways to be cynical about the media they consume endlessly.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bleck posted:

Jared Leto always looks as though he's just been told he's under arrest for suspicion of murder.

That's because he's always at risk of being told he's under arrest for suspicion of child molestation.

https://twitter.com/GreatCheshire/status/1509264391488876546

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Xealot posted:

Sure, I guess. Marc is Latino and also Jewish. And also an Englishman, sometimes.

Oscar Isaac is also Jewish by descent (through his Cuban father's side), though he's a practicing Christian. They cast Latin actors for his family in the flashbacks, so I think Marc could be canonically a Sephardic Jew. A large number of them migrated to the New World; Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is descended from them in Puerto Rico.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 5, 2022

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/tiberious_nero/status/1522379666681647104?s=21&t=eSEu4uD4y1lDxw05GtcWtw

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaJ7dReNFYM

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFVHvbYkbLw

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

This is my new Cap wields Mjolnir.

Pay this gag off 11 movies from now, you COWARDS

I was rewatching some MCU stuff lately and listening to analysis from people and realized just how much people like the Russos pulled from older films to build connections. The part where Tony is the only one on Titan to wound Thanos and he goes "All that for a drop of blood?" In Iron Man 2, Vanko tells Tony "If you make a god bleed, people will stop believing in him."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Doggles posted:

The subtle callback I like to point to is the dialogue between Black Panther and Hawkeye.

They meet for the first time fighting each other in Civil War.
H: We haven't met yet. I'm Clint.
BP: I don't care.

They meet for the second time during the final battle in Endgame, with Hawkeye looking to hand off the gauntlet.
BP: Clint, give it to me.

:3:

Also stuff like Okoye calling Natalie "Nat" after the timeskip when they were antagonistic before.

Natalie Gold, who does first time reactions to movies and TV she hasn't seen, just uploaded the first Moon Knight episode on her Patreon so I'm rewatching the series with hindsight.

1. Not only is there the box of Taweret plushies in the first episode, her boat and the pyramid are the decorations in Gus's fish tank.

2. Reflecting that Layla was originally supposed to become Isis's avatar before they kept Taweret, there's a prominently placed gold Isis statue with the wings spread in the storage room when Steven is talking about who's supposed to be on the Ennead poster (who are all the gods who appear at the actual Ennead meeting later).

3. The postcards by the museum entrance appear to be very similar to the ones from "mum" that Steven is hanging up. I think along with setting him up with the date, Marc was just taking whatever postcards he could while pretending to be Steven so he could keep up the fake mother.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, I cannot stop gushing over how good of an actor Oscar Isaac is. I just rewatched The Last Jedi yesterday, watched Drive last week, and some stuff from Ex Machina and somehow all 7 characters (if you include Khonshu taking over his body to speak at the Ennead) seem like utterly different people. He even changes the tiniest details of how he moves his face when he's speaking or expressing emotion. If you put all of his characters at a table together in the same clothes and had them talk, you could tell who was who. The guy astounds me.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxqTgfYEsVU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, not the first time Oscar Isaac was being judged by F. Murray Abraham:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytN-yao3Ioo

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mameluke posted:

Sorry, you pay to watch reaction videos?

The money you paid for an account here went to a much worse person than my Patreon money.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

thrawn527 posted:

I haven't gone for her Patreon or anything, but I like Natalie Gold, too. She's the one "reactor" I can actually stand.

His American accent sounds just as bad in the exact same way. Unless "that's the joke".

They both just "OV-ER AN-NUN-CI-ATE EVER-Y WORRRD".

Her Patreon includes the uncut reactions, so it’s like watching a movie with a non-annoying friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

thrawn527 posted:

I haven't gone for her Patreon or anything, but I like Natalie Gold, too. She's the one "reactor" I can actually stand.

Also, she just uploaded the second episode on Patreon today and so far she's loving it more than any previous MCU show. She recently took a trip to Egypt so she'll actually be able to comment on what looks accurate about their filming there.

Her poll for an action movie this week currently has John Wick winning.