Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

As a HUGE fan of Ms. Marvel, I was really wary about this, especially when I read they were changing her powers and probable origin (yeah I'm one of the few Marvel readers who actually enjoyed Inhumans, shoot me.)

After watching all 4 episodes...I'm kind of satisfied. The bangle origin sucks, Bruno sucks (so he's just an American kid now, ok I guess?) the powers kind of sucked right up until the big fight in episode 4, and I'm surprised they went with Red Dagger so early, but god drat, Iman Vellani is so endearing as Kamala Khan and the actors playing her parents have those characters nailed too, especially the one playing her father.

I'm a bit surprised we haven't seen the costume yet, and 4/6 episodes in she's not even Ms. Marvel, but I guess this is going to be like Smallville where it's all about the journey (though hopefully it won't take 10 seasons!)

I'm enjoying it, although I don't think it's as great as a lot of people here seem to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

howe_sam posted:

When has he been anything else?

He's Italian-American in the comics, the TV show doesn't seem to have even referred to his ancestry (unless I somehow missed it.)

Also we'd better get Lockjaw, dammnit.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

kazil posted:

we're pretty sure Brie Larson is showing up at some point too, right?

Seems like there's a lot to get done in 2 episodes

Brie Larson in the final episode giving her blessing to use the Ms. Marvel name, I would assume.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

Her full costume was already in the advertising before the show ever aired.

Ok I'm on board with this

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Decent episode of Ms. Marvel, agree that the final episode is going to have to cram a lot in.

I don't think Kamran is going to be the villain, I think he more than likely sacrifices himself to save Kamala.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Great finale, looks like I now have to watch Captain Marvel AND Wandavision if I want to understand anything at all by the time The Marvels comes out, though.

Which, I don't have a problem with per se, but just like the comics it's impossible to follow ONE particular character's story without having to read (or in this case, watch) a whole bunch of crossover bullshit featuring other characters I don't really care about.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Oasx posted:

I don't think you need to do that, the movie will explain the essentials of all the characters. But if you want the best experience then watching those other shows and movies will certainly help.
There really isn't a perfect way to do this sort of thing, I think this format is the best available.

Is Wandavision actually any good? I've had Disney+ since it came out in the UK and Ms. Marvel is literally the only Marvel show I've watched on it.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Still not really on board with the light platforms but Kamala embiggening actually looked pretty cool.

I hope the show (if there is a season 2) remembers that she can shrink, too

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s the latter

Combination of the two, really

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjnlrvbMKb0

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 17, 2022

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Show is far too short, but I'm loving every second of it.

It's strange how Jameela Jamil seems to be loved in America, though. In the UK it felt like the British public just sort of tolerated her. I haven't seen The Good Place but I'm guessing her role on the show was a big deal?

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Marsupial Ape posted:

She’s goddam delightful.

I think her replacing Alexa Chung on T4 didn't help her popularity, her panel show appearances were pretty non-descript too. Seems to have really kicked on since relocating to the USA, though.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Oasx posted:

My impression is that the british tabloid media is incredibly toxic, they did kill a princess after all. And that Jamil is just one of their many victims, and they get especilly angry when someone fights back.

This is very true.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I'm about to watch The Punisher without having watched Daredevil first, am I being a big dumb dumb?

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Rarity posted:

Yes, Daredevil's awesome

I have been informed by one of my friends that I should watch Daredevil/The Punisher/Luke Cage/Jessica Jones and in the following order, so I'm going to do that

Daredevil, Season 1
Jessica Jones S1
DD S2
Luke Cage S1
Iron Fist S1
The Defenders
The Punisher S1
JJ S2
LC S2
IF S2
DD S3
Punisher S2
JJ S3

Anything else I should be watching, relating to the non (as of yet) MCU universe?

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Desperado Bones posted:

Cloak and Dagger is already in my country's D+.
I guess I'm going to give it a second chance...

I like Cloak and Dagger in the comics but I'm not sure I could watch a whole show about them.

The bigger question is when the hell are we getting Kid Nova in the MCU?

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Okay so I'm watching Daredevil and holy crap it's brilliant

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Just chiming in to say I loving love this show despite its flaws and honestly, Marvel/Disney pissing off misogynistic pricks is always good.

Drew Matthews is a great modern day Buck Bukowski.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Ubik_Lives posted:

I really enjoyed the A plot for this episode. The comedic parts all landed, and I did enjoy watching the case play out. I'm hoping that sort of energy is maintained through the season.

The B plot was a bit meh for me. It was such a low energy mirror of the Abomination plot playing out right next to it. I think one thing that hurt it for me was Jen's forth wall breaks that refer to the TV show itself. I know that's a thing from the comics, but it breaks my immersion so hard when it happens. I like it when she's talking to the audience as if she were talking to herself, but taking her hands off the wheel while driving to talk about cameos or talking about the A and B plots connecting snap me out of the show and it takes me a while to get back into it. So when they were having their version of the funny witness presentation, I wasn't feeling any emotional impact to Dennis getting roasted because Jen just reminded me this is all fake and these are the best zingers that the writers could come up with to blast a character they created.

Also she's totally wrong about the A and B plots connecting there. Her prior connection to Dennis has literally nothing to do with Abomination's case until Dennis's case is resolved and she gets her idea. If you're going to break me out of the story, please get your jokes in order.

The Youtube comments whinging about She-Hulk more as a character than as a person in the MCU didn't bother me that much though. I assumed it was more short hand for other, more vile sexist poo poo that would be said instead. We can get the general idea of things that people are saying that would bother Jen, without having to really dwell on them.

Still, and this might be just me, but as far as sexist commentary goes, I don't think they are going to top the boss demanding that Jen hulk up at work in episode two. That got an audible "holy gently caress" out of me. It was such a perfect build up of showing Jen's economic desperation allowing her boss to casually flex his power over her and claim ownership of her appearance and non-preferred identity, and tell her to hulk up without really knowing if there are any possible issues with her being a hulk. And not because he's trying to be evil, but because he's the beneficiary of a power structure that allows him to not have to care. To me, Dennis is a bit hollow because he's a jerk and that's that. The boss is inconsiderate, but because of the build up of the greater issues at play, that line struck me as some Lex Luthor level poo poo.

You should probably worry less about a silly Marvel TV show and go outside some more

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

tsob posted:

I don't know if it'd be hilariously or stupid if Tatiana Maslany broke character during an in-progress 4th wall break as She-Hulk to speak directly to the audience as herself instead of her character after already saying something as the character, showing dissonance between the show, the character and the actress.

I really want this to happen now.

Maybe even bring Mark Ruffalo in to address the controversy surrounding his portrayal as The Smart Hulk

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Mental Hospitality posted:

I really like this She Hulk show after finally watching the first 3 episodes. There were some genuine laugh out loud moments and I guess I'm a bit smitten by Jennifer Walters. :3

Edit: I made the mistake of reading some of the reviews on IMDB and I just can't jive with them. I grew up without Marvel comic books as a child. There were no preconceptions or bias to destroy when my Marvel knowledge basically started when RDJ portrayed Iron Man in the first Iron Man. Fast----------------->(amazing AoS series).........>Forward many years later and I'm watching a She Hulk in a weird almost Boston Legal-like tv show and I find it amazing. Let her represent robot Coulson or Quake and I could probably die a happy person.

90% of the "reviews" on IMDb are from incels and/or chuds.

Actual critics seem to be enjoying the show.

And Twitter in particular is absolutely awash with people criticising the show for it's silliness and fourth wall breaks who claim to be comic fans but who have clearly never read any of the She-Hulk comics.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Rarity posted:

She's posted stuff on Instagram so yeah

She's also very possibly a transphobe

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I don't get sexual satisfaction from seeing a woman twerk either, does that mean i'm a homosexual?

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Infinitum posted:

What does give you sexual satisfaction? You should def also share that with the thread so we can make an accurate assesment.

Vagina and buttholes (female)

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Absolutely HATED Madisynn upon first sight, absolutely loved her by the end of the episode. I'm definitely calling him Wongers from now on and I hope that catches on in-universe.

And Mr. Perfect dude is just into being dominated (most likely mainly physically.)

Notice how when She-Hulk picked him up off the couch to go have sex he didn't even flinch or act shocked? Guy wanted and was expecting it.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/She-Hulk#Publication_history

Lol the trademark lawsuit is apparently another meta joke

This is pretty common knowledge, no?

Also as a Brit it really is quite bizarre to see Benedict Wong go from The I.T Crowd to the MCU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I thought I recognised him, he's the whistling old man who gets executed in The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

BRJurgis posted:

I probably have a somewhat narrow immersion in this because I have no idea who ironheart or werewolf by night are, nevermind Megan stallion (in fact I don't even know why we're talking about a pop? musician).

I'll keep watching (and enjoying) these shows as long as I have access to this disney+ account either way. She-hulk is killing it and I fear every one of her suitors to secretly be trying to extract her blood.

Also I want more adam warlock and captain America, and wasn't secret wars in the comic like... on battle world and loaded with heavy hitters? Remembering some awesome captain America / DOOM moments. Weird they chose that name for something that sounds totally different.

Okay so I'm a bit surprised nobody brought this up but you're confusing Secret Wars with Secret Invasion.

Secret Wars (yes, set on Battleworld in the comics) is the big set piece they're heading towards in Phase 6, rumour is the Russos will be returning to direct it and it'll be an Avengers movie

Secret Invasion is a Nick Fury based story about Skrulls invading Earth and replacing humans and superheroes with Skrull counterparts

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Sep 11, 2022

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Fun show continues to be fun, and I'm looking forward to seeing more Matt Murdock in the MCU.

I love that this show continues to poke all the chuds and incels with a big stick, too

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Rarity posted:

I'm dreading getting to this in my complete Marvel readthrough :ohdear:

:gonk:

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Rarity posted:

I started last year in March back in 1937, I have now made it to 1964 and know more about Millie the Model than anyone could ask for :)

I hope you know you're about to hit some very terrible comics

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Everyone posted:

Hopefully they're not spending money on the read-through. Because then it would capitalist punishment.

I know. I'm a bad person.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Rarity has a Marvel Unlimited sub

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

She-Hulk is also set in 2024 let's not forget, Daredevil could well be an internationally known Superhero at this point in time

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Rarity posted:

Amazed that anyone could say no to more Elodie Yung

Daredevil Elektra - Yes
The Defenders Elektra - No

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Another great episode, I love everything about this show and Nikki is the best character by far.

The fact it pisses off certain sections of the Marvel fanbase endear it to me even more.

I *was* looking forward to seeing Matt Murdock though, not gonna lie

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Getting called a "male feminist" on Twitter because I dared to defend Jen's character in She-Hulk against someone calling her "toxic"

Totally normal

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Rarity posted:

That's not even an insult :psyduck:

I looked it up, it apparently is. Means "taking a feminist viewpoint in order to appear more desirable to women and therefore increase your chances of getting laid."

And this guy definitely meant it that way, according to him I'm also a "beta bitch"

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

The fact there are people in the replies who genuinely believe she is being serious is hilarious

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

kazil posted:

There's two entire episodes to rush through to an unsatisfying conclusion!

Obviously there's going to be a big cliffhanger leading into Season 2

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Best episode ever and man am I glad I decided to watch all 3 seasons of Daredevil before watching this episode of She-Hulk.

I daren't go on Twitter, I'm going to just assume that all the chuds and Marvel protectors are absolutely frothing with rage that Matt Murdock slept with She-Hulk.

Can't wait for the finale!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Azhais posted:

I didn't watch punisher 2 but I recall the complaints at the time being that it was "the live and let liver" as he didn't do all that much punishing

It's definitely a softer Frank Castle to start with (spoiler: he's trying to start his life over and possibly fall in love again) but poo poo soon goes sideways and there's still a LOT of killing.

Personally I really enjoyed it and the John Pilgrim character (based on comics Punisher villain Mennonite) was excellent

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 7, 2022