Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Going to piss off the worst people, maybe

I can’t wait for them to post about IMDb ratings they’re manipulating to justify their lovely takes on the show.

I’m looking forward to it, but I’m also not expecting much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

They couldn't even get Richard Moll to come back?

As long as they have Jenna Maroney's werewolf lawyer, I'm in.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Runtime made it worse than the quality of what was shown is. What they gave was good, the runtime and not really doing anything forward from origin made it a frustrating experience. The last two minutes should have continued for another 10-15 minutes.

Or, if they did two episodes for the first week. I'm excited to watch more of it, but there just wasn't enough to ask people to wait a week.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
The discussion about hardships reminds me a lot of the 30 Rock episode when Kenneth says he’s a white man so he disagrees with Jack, who then says socioeconomically he’s an inner city Latina.

They’re both wealthy. Are we next going to argue that because She-Hulk isn’t poor she doesn’t have to really control anger because she isn’t facing a situation where she doesn’t know when her next meal will be? Maybe we should stop worrying about quantifying hardships and understand that they’re both right and both wrong in this situation.

The lesson from that scene is that neither person, nobody, should be ignoring someone else’s experiences just because.

Super Deuce fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 23, 2022

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
I don't know if I'm surprised or not that people didn't completely hate the horribly unfunny Madisynn character.

live with fruit posted:

Fun fact: The actor playing Donnie Blaze is married to the director.
He also directed Queen's Boulevard and Medellín.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

The Grumbles posted:

Counterpount: In this, the real universe, multiple posters in this thread did not know who Megan Thee Stallion is.

I still don't.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

I think the point is that nobody cares. Similarly, I wouldn't care if the show mentioned whoever one of the Kardashians is actively banging whether they're a real person or made up for the show.

Megan the ... I already forgot her name isn't as famous as you think she is. There are a lot of people in the world.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

live with fruit posted:

Neither is a superhero who's been around for a couple of weeks and only ever had one fight. That's the point.

There is very little reason for most people in a universe of super heroes to know a brand new super hero by both that persona and alias, yes.

Vintersorg posted:

You're a loser buddy.

MTS is insanely popular and anybody who pays even the slightest attention to music knows who she is.'

137 million views
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PBYGu4Az8s

52 million views
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KynkMn5Hv3Q

126 million views
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbcLcSY2au4

11.6 million views
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDx5WNdbCSU

112 million views
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5LWsc-qCdA

It's fine to not like her music but dumb as poo poo to deny her popularity.

I've literally heard one of her songs and only ever on certain Chaturbate streams. Surprisingly, nobody introduces songs like a radio DJ when they're just listening to music. Why would I bother looking into who performs a song I don't like? You know not everyone listens to top 40 radio, right? If any of that was even top 40.

Super Deuce fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 10, 2022

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Soul Glo posted:

Just because an insufferable nerd on a dying internet forum doesn’t care that a popular rapper guested on an MCU show doesn’t mean that lots of people also don’t.

Like you say, there are a lot of people in the world.

It's weird how many people are personally upset that some people don't know a mediocre musician. Guess what, I don't know who Yeat is, either, except he was in a Channel 5 video. For all I know he could have been made up, too.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

The Grumbles posted:

I've never dated anyone super famous but the couple of times I've been out for a drink with someone who I know has a public presence but which I'm not familiar with, I've not looked them up because I've felt like it'd make the date super awkward and parasocial.

I'm not a fan of her (besides the obvious all-time-classic WAP) but just as someone who reads the news and take an interest in the world around me I recognise her name. Even from the way she gets referenced in countless other media. I probably wouldn't recognise her from looks alone nor do I know any of her other songs. But it's a name that comes up in the news (not just entertainment news), in lots of other public discourse, etc.

It's okay to not know who an incredibly famous celebrity is, but it's really silly to have a super smug attitude about it when all you're really revealing is that the only things in the world you pay attention to are Marvel comics and, uh, Chaturbate
I thought the WAP song was Cardi B? I know that song / person because of the zeitgeist and hysterical outrage over it. You think it's being smug to not know who certain celebrities are. It's not. I said it to make fun of people who think everyone has to know who they know. There are a lot of very famous musicians I'm sure you don't know, too. Buddy Nielsen is a very famous musician. It wouldn't be smug to say, "who?" if he were brought up in the show, either.

It's like that scene in Parks and Rec when Tom is astounded Ann doesn't know who Ginuwine is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkiA06eTHIk

Again, these people aren't as famous as you think they are. Sure they're famous. That doesn't mean everyone knows them.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

kazil posted:

https://www.google.com

can you please just stop posting about which celebrities you don't know?

Good idea. I'll just google every name said in every TV show I watch to find out whether or not it's a real person or a character. That's a good idea. How are you not getting the point? It's not an affront for people to not know who you know.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Could you maybe just shut the gently caress up about it? No one cares about your whining or what you jerk off to.

As long as you keep responding about it, I'll keep clarifying because you still don't get it.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
The show isn't really getting better. It's just showing more people that are completely obnoxious. Like, a couple characters here and there being ridiculous is funny. It's like if Tom Haverford was every character on Parks and Rec. I'm invested enough by the good pieces, but they need some more range between their characters.

I do like them mocking sneaker people though.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Jim the Nickel posted:

Show's pacing still sucks rear end, but at least Patti Harrison was there gettin that good Marvel money

Yea the pacing is actually horrible. The overall package of the show is fun and I’m enjoying it but the characters all feeling the same in their vapidity is certainly tiring. Mallory Book is the only not goofy character. Everyone else just feels like they’re trying way too hard with zero grounding. Maybe it’s an extended LA joke, but this show is a case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. It’s interesting how that works.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

XboxPants posted:

If you're looking for narrative purpose you're not watching the right show. This is a goofy comedy show, the purpose of the scenes is to have goofy comedy and put the characters in silly situations.

Also gotta heavy disagree with the poster who said the characters are "universally vapid". I'm tempted to do a character by character breakdown but... I think it's probably just sexism. Other posters please call me out if you agree that Jen and Nikki are vapid. I get that Titania comes across as superficial, but she also ran a clever legal scam against the main character. If the Kingpin started trademarking new superhero names and using them to sell legitimate products people would be calling him shrewd and dastardly. (as long as he did it while talking like a gruff man and not a valley girl)

It wasn't a clever legal scam. I guess maybe to someone who has zero clue how that kind of thing is handled it may seem it, but it was really stupid. Nikki is vapid. Jen is more nuanced, but that's also because she's the character we follow. Otherwise the only not vapid character in the show is Mallory Book. Every cameo, every recurring, every one off. They're all vapid. Like I said, it may be an extended "Haha everyone in LA sucks" joke, but it's not funny. It also makes the character of Maddisyn even worse in hindsight than she was in that episode because every other human in this corner of the Marvel Universe is exactly like her.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Rarity posted:

Bitches amirite :jerkbag:

Is bad faith reading of posts the gimmick here? Both men lawyer peers we've met, vapid. Holden Holliway, vapid. Hell, even Wong was depthless and the only reason he seemed otherwise is because we've explored the character in other properties. I guess Jen's dad seemed like a normal human being though her DJ cousin certainly isn't.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

kazil posted:

I'm having a really hard time not seeing "vapid" as dogwhistle for "bitch"

Well, first, nobody is acting as a "bitch" except for, I guess the bridesmaids. Though I wouldn't use that word, they certainly were horribly rude in the manner someone who uses terms like that may.

And as far as vapid goes, I'm referring to the shallowness of all but two characters in the show. They're all flat shallow pieces hitting the exact same note. Nikki we've seen a bit more and, sure, she's capable at her job. However she has the same obsession with appearance everyone else has in the show. I get that it's a theme here, but quite literally everyone involved has an obsession with Jen's (and their own) appearance including her. There has been zero departure from it, yet, making the show feel bland in a lot of regards.

Again, I'm enjoying the show. It's just really tiring having everyone be Tom Haverford.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
So yea, bad faith readings are the gimmick here. Cool.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Bust Rodd posted:

Super Deuce, who are some female characters in media that you do like?

Are you honestly asking for a binder full of women?

Alright, I guess. Since I've mentioned this show is littered with Tom Haverfords, on Parks and Rec every character is good except Leslie Knope, so that would mean Ann, April, and Donna from the main list, as well as a host of the recurring / side characters.

Let's jump to Star Trek. Literally everyone across all shows pre-Discovery, and a couple later such as certain episodes with Tilly, Detmer, and half of Georgiou. In Picard, while a departure from the character previously established modern Seven is interesting but while I can't say the plots she's involved in are good, she has character. Lower Decks sucks a lot, but Tendi is nice. I really like the entire cast of SNW.

Party Down is an ensemble show, probably my favorite. Casey and Constance are both superb.

Curb was mentioned. Cheryl and Susie are perfect. As well as... well basically everyone.

I honestly can't believe that people are reading "the show is full of one note vapid characters" as "only the women on the show are vapid". Especially considering I already explained what I meant by it with examples of men on the show that also lack interest and depth.

Kaedric posted:

Sorry friend, you used the misogyny word without realizing what it was and the bat signal went out

I think it's more that people just really can't take that people don't like things they like. Yes, misogynists call women vapid just for being women. Curiously, that's clearly not what I did, though. Context matters. It's not an indictment of certain characters sexes on the show. It's about the writing of the characters on the show. They're nearly all the same.

Super Deuce fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 22, 2022

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Is that supposed to be funny? It’s so far removed from my sense of humor I honestly can’t tell. It looks like a skit that Tim and Eric would have turned down.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Well, Secret Invasion first episode sucks. Ben Mendelsohn acting opposite of Emila Clarke is like my worst nightmare. Add in Joel McHale and I'd actually feel like I'm being tortured by bad acting.

I also felt like this episode forgot the hook to get me to care about the series / next episode. Nothing about this episode led me to care at all about the outcome of the Skrull terrorist campaign.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Doronin posted:

This episode of Secret Invasion is why I maintain a 4-episode rule on shows. It's a show, not a movie, so the plot may take a few episodes to find its feet and get moving.
While I try to not judge the entire show based on the first episode, if a show takes 4 hours for the plot to be slightly interesting, they're doing something wrong.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Takes No Damage posted:

With a 20 episode season maybe, but with Marvel's 6-8 ep structure they really don't have that kind of time to waste.

Absolutely. A 20 episode season is a completely different animal.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Doronin posted:

Yes. Pacing was already a big issue with the majority of the MCU shows where, as you said, they go bobbing along until they make a really rushed conclusion.

I wish it were limited to MCU shows. Season 3 of Picard could, and should, have been cut down to a maximum of 90 minutes.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
I honestly couldn't tell you what literally any Marvel show intro is because skip intro buttons exist now, and if it doesn't catch the intro, I just look at my phone or fast forward it. Worse still are end credits. I sit through end credits of every movie I see, but when a 40 minute TV show has the same length credits as a 3 hour movie... I just can't. When I saw in this thread people were upset about the Secret Invasion opening credits I was absolutely baffled people cared about anything related to them.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Hailee Steinfeld is so good, she made two of the Pitch Perfect movies almost watchable.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Everyone posted:

I was kind of fine with that because gently caress those guys, they don't deserve to be a plot. At best they should be a speed-bump in Jen's life so she adjusted things so that's what they'd be.

If you haven't seen it yet (and even if you have) you should check out the 2010 True Grit. Even with Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon and Josh "Thanos" Brolin, she owns that movie top to bottom.

I’ve seen it. I loved it. I was pissed when they campaigned for Hailee to be nominated for best supporting, when she was clearly a lead. She should have won best lead actress that year.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

LividLiquid posted:

True, but that doesn't make it good.

The portals scene had like 10,000 people in it and you could fit all of the women into one (admittedly fun) shot that people hated because it was for little girls and they don't like being reminded they like a thing for children. :haw:

I only disliked that section of that scene because they did it better the movie before. In Infinity War it felt natural, in Endgame it felt forced.

Why didn't Captain Marvel just fly up with the drat glove?

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
I thought the rest of the world knew about Wakanda at this point, and also aren't they aware of Atlantis now, too? Why did Rhodey tell summit the US has the strongest military?

So far this story is so uninteresting, because the stakes are higher than a small Spider-Man saving his neighborhood plot, but Fury isn't using his resources. Further, the scene at the start of this episode with Fury's promise is so dumb because they're not going to give any meaningful reason for why Fury didn't do what he said between '97 and Avenger time, or have any information why until just before he comes up with the actual plan to do it.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

FlamingLiberal posted:

I feel like the writers forgot that those were supposed to be dirty bombs. If that was the case then Fury got a pretty serious dose of radiation, depending on how much radioactive material they used in them.
Wait, so I didn't mishear that when I watched episode one. At the end of the episode I was like, okay so everything there is going to die of radiation sickness, okay but then they just like, went on as if they were just whatever, so I assumed I misheard the dirty bomb line.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I'm pretty sure this show is fine, and that it probably could have/should have been a movie. When it's all out it will be better in retrospect, unless one is still furious about trains, in which case nothing can be done.

Speaking of, when is this show relative to The Marvels? Fury wearing his eyepatch and doesn't have the full beard in the trailers.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

live with fruit posted:

It all happens at the same time that Captain Marvel shows up in New Jersey. She just pops over to England, kills Gravik and we're off to The Marvels.

The Marvels being slated to come out after this show, and having promotional stuff like trailers already out for it, make this show so much worse.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Sivart13 posted:

I was hoping the MCU would never get to the point of someone actually saying 'Super Skrulls' out loud but here we are

They could have at least had a Vanilla Ice song before it.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Boris Galerkin posted:

why do people itt think rhodes is an alien

He called Fury "Nick". Also, I may have missed it or forgotten because there's too much Marvel poo poo, but did he get a surgery or something to not need his robot legs anymore?

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Phenotype posted:

tell me its okay not to keep watching secret wars.

it's such boring garbage but my idiot brain is like "its the marvel universe we have to watch the marvel universe o_o"

I’m only in for this one because the next movie involves the main actor here, and potentially some direct continuation of something related.

I kind of hate that I feel I have to so I can understand what they’re going to show next. When GotG3 came out it was pretty annoying feeling like I should know certain things but not because I didn’t watch their Christmas whatever.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
The Olivia Colman praise is everywhere people talk about this show, and I don't get it. She has had like 3 minutes of screen time prior to this episode (Just starting it now, so I have no clue if there's more here).

It's just not enough to think it's some standout performance, it feels like everyone is just saying it because that's what people are supposed to say because they like her.

Edit - Half the drat runtime of this show is the credits. Marvel needs to relax on their credits, holy poo poo.

Super Deuce fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jul 19, 2023

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Show still sucks. No surprise. Between recap, opening credits, and end credits it was like a 20 minute episode. Why didn't they just edit this to be a movie? It's going to have the same approximate runtime, anyways.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

live with fruit posted:

Not even the worst this year but still a troubling direction.

Thr worst part is that it feels like there's a good two hour movie about G'iah dealing with her conflicted feelings in here. Instead we follow an inert Fury around so Jackson can give a phoned in performance. But at least Natasha's ex boyfriend or whatever popped up.. (Spoilering that seems ridiculous. Does anyone care?)

What would you consider worse? The other marvel things are Ant-Man and GotG3. GotG3 is clearly better, and at least Ant-Man was done in two hours and one sitting, as well as having bright interesting visuals. For me, Secret Invasion is by far the worst thing so far. Love and Thunder has Chris Hemsworth, who is charismatic regardless of the boringness of the movie. Multiverse of Madness was mediocre mostly because it really should have been more Wanda focused. Black Widow is back to having a very charismatic cast. Eternals is probably the only thing that can contend with the badness of Secret Invasion.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Even if Fury doesn't want to use Captain Birdmerica or anybody else, why hasn't the president? It's beyond stupid he hasn't asked Rhodey to do anything. The show is just bad at every turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

WhyteRyce posted:

A huge crux of the show is “no Talos, humans don’t like refugees much less alien refugees they wouldn’t trust us and wouldn’t welcome us” while ignoring New Asgard is a thing? Although maybe they dropped a throw away “and I don’t want to be a carnival barker” that I missed or something?

The fact Asgardians had been worshiped as gods by humans for centuries past kind of negates it to a degree.

What I don't get is why Fury's response to Skrhodey framing him isn't to just get G'iah or a human wearing one of their spy masks to just be Hill (If she's actually dead) in a video saying "Yea, Fury didn't shoot me. I'm right here."

Surely Skrhodey knows his threat kind of sucks, right?