Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

(I know Miles is originally from Brooklyn, but he lives in Harlem now and you can be sure I'll put a Guy from Harlem reference in my thread title if it's even remotely appropriate)

Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales by Insomniac Games was released in November 2020 as a launch game for the PlayStation 5, with a PS4 version coming out on the same day and a PC port arriving a couple of years later. Rather than a full sequel, this is basically a standalone expansion in the vein of Infamous: First Light and Uncharted: Lost Legacy, a smaller game than the original Marvel's Spider-Man from 2018 but still a fun experience in its own right.

Miles Morales was originally introduced in the Ultimate Spider-Man comics, becoming Spider-Man after that version of Peter Parker died (he eventually got better, and then the universe collapsed) and eventually crossing over to the main Marvel universe after the Ultimate books were cancelled. While his comic book incarnation was popular and the original run by Brian Michael Bendis was very good (I haven't read any of the more recent stuff), most people probably know Miles from the fantastic Spider-Verse movies.

Miles also showed up in the original PS4 Spider-Man game and got bitten by a genetically modified spider, and at the end of the DLC Peter Parker took Miles under his wing to train him as a Spider-sidekick. Spider-Man: Miles Morales starts off a year or so after that, and Miles finds himself as New York's only Spider-Man as Peter goes on a working vacation with MJ in Symkaria for a few weeks. What could possibly go wrong in a few weeks?

The first nine episodes of the LP were recorded on the PS4 Pro version due to the fact I didn't have a PS5 when we started this in late 2020. At launch, Sony only sent a few thousand units to Finland, and those sold out in 0.8 femtoseconds. The PS4 version is very solid (at least on the Pro), runs at a stable 30 fps, loads much faster than the original, and looks quite nice as well. Of course, it is now three years later, and I do in fact have a PS5 so the rest of the LP will be recorded on that version, running in the Performance RT mode so you get 60 fps and ray tracing.

ChaosArgate joins me for the initial batch of episodes, but due to scheduling difficulties I'm flying (webswinging?) solo for the rest of the LP. He'll probably return once we get to Spider-Man 2.

Oh yeah, and :frogsiren: NO SPOILERS! :frogsiren:

VIDEOS:

Episode 1: The Oath
Episode 2: The Underground
Episode 3: Miles Saves Christmas
Episode 4: Spider-Cat
Episode 5: Lost Control
Episode 6: My Time
Episode 7: The Leader

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Episode 1: The Oath

The Spider-Men get in the holiday spirit by stopping Rhino's rampage through the city. I'm not going to bother making any jokes about Peter Parker's new face, because I think all of those have been made by now.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Just wanted to say I’ll be following and enjoying this LP. The game is on my play list- not sure when but I will play it at some point in the future- based on good observations from other LPs and I like your work. Have fun with it!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Oh man I wasn’t expecting this up so soon! This game looks real cool and makes me wanna finally go back and play the base game!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
For those who don’t know, The Guy from Harlem is a classic 1977 blaxploitation film. I hope to download and watch it this weekend. Thanks to Doc M for bringing it to my attention. Watched the first video, game looks great so far.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

achtungnight posted:

For those who don’t know, The Guy from Harlem is a classic 1977 blaxploitation film.
"Classic" is one way of putting it. It's like a 12-year-old's idea of a blaxploitation movie that somehow got actually filmed (by other 12-year-olds, judging from the quality of the moviemaking), so it's perfect MST3K/Rifftrax material and Rifftrax is indeed the main reason anyone knows about this film.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Looking forward to this, also.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Episode 2: The Underground

Today, we do some AR training in our fancy(?) new suit, mimic the aesthetic of a different Earth in another suit, and beat up a bunch of Cyberpunk rejects.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Good to know the Deckers are still getting work after Saint's Row 3. Better facing Spidey than the Boss.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Cythereal posted:

Good to know the Deckers are still getting work after Saint's Row 3. Better facing Spidey than the Boss.

If I ever have to fight a Decker Rollerblader again.... I feel like they’d be a tough opponent for Spider-Man.

Another good video. I dig the new training style. And I agree with Doc that way too much cool stuff in the game is locked out till NG+.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Dec 21, 2020

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm pretty certain that's an Argent Energy canister.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Episode 3: Miles Saves Christmas

Miles saves Christmas, hangs out with his uncle and plays with some trains. This video is blocked in North Korea, Syria, Iran and Cuba thanks to 20 seconds of copyrighted music, which I'm sure is a massive blow to all my viewers in those countries (in the unlikely event someone actually is watching this from one of those countries, or if YouTube thinks you're in one of those countries, I can upload an edited version but I doubt that'll be necessary).

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jan 9, 2021

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Doc M posted:

This video is blocked in North Korea, Syria, Iran and Cuba thanks to 20 seconds of copyrighted music, and if you're in one of those countries (or Youtube thinks you're in one of those countries - remember the Saints Row 2 Antarctica debacle a few years back?) I can upload an edited version later.

This proves that Youtube is controlled by communists, since everyone knows American music (and blue jeans) are the key to destroying communism.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
That move you mention as really good is also one I find myself needing to practice a lot, so I’m glad there’s a challenge involving it.

Seems there’s a lot more to interact with in this game than in the original Spider-Man one. Good thing.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Episode 4: Spider-Cat

This one has a cat in it so I expect at least two million views.

YouTube has decided that processing ultra HD videos should now take an actual eternity (or at least over 18 hours), so this is 1080p only at the moment. The 4K version should be ready at some point in the not too distant future. Or maybe not. You never know with good old YouTube.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I do like how Aaron sussed out who Spider-Man actually was with no trouble. Making people not totally moronic makes them more relatable.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm down for a Spiders-Man videogame now.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I still find it kinda funny that original spidey is jealous of the electricity punch, when he could probably punch rhinos head clean off if he didn't hold back.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Episode 5: Lost Control

No, seriously, what is it with Spider-Man and bad things happening on and around bridges?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I suppose I have to repost this.

https://i.imgur.com/dYdW8kU.mp4

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
In the comics, Phineas Mason was the Tinkerer. So once you see a certain character's name, you should suspect something. Possibly we'll get an Easter Egg that the original Tinkerer is her grandpa or great uncle.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

achtungnight posted:

In the comics, Phineas Mason was the Tinkerer.
Huh, I completely forgot about that. That would be a pretty massive hint, yeah.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Episode 6: My Time

We get the suit from the box art, and to celebrate the occasion we hunt down some toy thieves and chase after pigeons. Okay, maybe not the most exciting way to bounce back after the disaster in the previous episode, but we are supposed to be the friendly neighborhood Spider-Man so we'll spend some time just helping people out.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Wasn’t happy the pigeons were back at first, but this time they only last one mission and it’s got a story, so it’s not too bad.

I enjoyed the “My Time” song too.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Any plans to get back to this one? I was enjoying it. :)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

malkav11 posted:

Any plans to get back to this one? I was enjoying it. :)
I've been meaning to get back to this, yeah, but just haven't gotten around to it. Basically, me and Chaos can only record commentary for two or three (at most) videos each week due to time zone issues and the fact Chaos is doing a bunch of other LPs, and while we initially did both this and San Andreas simultaneously we quickly discovered that the latter was more fun to commentate on because of all the dumb poo poo that goes on in it. So, we've been focusing on San Andreas these past few months.

I was also thinking of putting this on hiatus and coming back when I eventually get a PS5, so you get the ray tracing and 60 fps and all that cool stuff. But since the likelihood of me getting a PS5 this year is... somewhat slim, I'm not sure how viable that idea is either.

Another idea I had was going solo for the rest of the LP in case the scheduling really doesn't work out, but I don't like talking to myself all that much.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
It it’s any consolation, I have been enjoying the game recently. Not planning an LP, but it is a fun game.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

We did record commentary for episode 7 back in February, so I can put that together in a bit and then figure out what to do after that.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Episode 7: The Leader

We visit Rick Mason's repair shop to find a broadcast monitor for retro gaming figure out why Phin became the Tinkerer. As it turns out, the back room holds quite a few secrets...

Also, I completely forgot I made that Bubsy reference on commentary all the way back in February, before doing the same in a San Andreas episode. I think about Bubsy quite often, as all of us should.

E: Those Underground snipers in the thumbnail are obviously going to hit their own guys instead of us there. Good job, fellas.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 11:37 on May 8, 2021

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I played this part of the main story just a few days ago- naturally you found things I missed. :)

Somehow, after God knows how many tries, I didn't count, I achieved Ultimate on all Challenges last week. Only on the last Combat one did I need the reward to help out. I will gladly brag.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Oh Miles. You're so bad at inferring from context. The Nuform gave Rick leukemia or cancer or something in his bone marrow, and then he died, and now Phin is out for a combined revenge/stopping anyone else from getting sick kick.

(Or Roxxon caught up with him and killed him before he could die of the cancer, but I think probably not since he said they needed him to make Nuform.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Unless this game really throws me for a loop, I cannot see it ending with 'although this company poisoned your uncle and would have poisoned so many other people, because your actions were too extreme (even though they revealed the company was actually poisoning people) you'll have to be punished' for Phin.