Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Organza Quiz posted:

I noticed my big phal starting its flower spike for the year which is always exciting, but now that I've looked closer while watering it I think it's doing TWO flower spikes:

This is the first year that I've fertilised it so I guess it's paying off! Very excited to see what it manages.

Oh... oh hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
I'm trying to get Toona Ciliata to germinate and I've had no luck so far.

I've got the seeds on the surface of some soil in tiny pots in a seedling box with grow lights. The box is sitting on a heating pad and is kept at around 28c and 100% humidity.

I've tried soaking the seeds, cold stratification, etc.

I think maybe gibberellic acid might help, but it's proving to be a real pain to get.

Has anyone had experience with either Toona Ciliata or gibberellic acid?

yoloer420 fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 22, 2024

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

anyone ever hosed with plumeria? seeds/cuttings/saplings, no experience refused

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
i think i found the one hosta i thought was dead. there's also a mystery hosta in the front. what did I do.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

time travel obviously

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

indigi posted:

anyone ever hosed with plumeria? seeds/cuttings/saplings, no experience refused

Are you in a warm-ish area? That will certainly help. They will grow very readily from a cutting. Cut it, let it scab over for a few days, put it in dirt.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
:peanut: the missing hosta has started to come up, in addition to the two hostas I forgot about :peanut:

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
I just found a poo poo ton of Japanese knotweed seedlings on my property :( I know you can kill them when they flower, but is there an effective way to kill the seedlings?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

It's pachira aquatica. Some of the leaves have developed brown spots, presumably from recent overwatering. I had been doing 1L every 2 weeks and then in Feb/March went to 1L every week for some reason. Back to 1L every 2 weeks, and I also rotate it 90* when I water.

Here's a photo from 12 months ago when I brought it home from Ikea:

And a photo from today. I obviously did not keep up with the braiding :negative:

I grabbed this 6 qt bag which has volcanic rock: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Miracle-Gro-6-Qt-Tropical-Potting-Soil-Mix-71276430/318258532

The terracotta pot is about 10” in diameter and 10” tall. If we say I fill the soil to 8”, that’s (5^2)*pi*8=628 cu in or 10.3 qt. I hope 6 qt will be enough to repot accounting for the root ball and existing soil that I’m apparently not supposedly to dislodge.

They do also sell this 8 qt moisture control: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Miracle-Gro-Moisture-Control-8-qt-Potting-Soil-Mix-75578300/204502216

This 8 qt cactus palm mix: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Miracle-Gro-8-Qt-Cactus-Palm-and-Citrus-Potting-Soil-Mix-72078500/204502296

And this 10 qt all purpose mix: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vigoro-...79920/318485769

Even though the Miracle-Gro says it only has 6 months of nutrients, the bag talks about repotting annually—will I be okay not repotting for a year?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Even though the Miracle-Gro says it only has 6 months of nutrients, the bag talks about repotting annually—will I be okay not repotting for a year?

Unless the plant outgrows the pot it's not unusual to not repot a plant for many years. If you throw some osmocote on there once a year it'll be fine.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Do you find that osmocote actually breaks down, or does it put plastic junk into the soil that stays there forever? The manufacturer claims its a not-plastic resin that will biodegrade, but internet reviews like to complain that it stays there for a long time. I don't know whether or not I will hate myself if my soil is still full of little balls 10 years later.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
What is this bush that is flowering right now in zone 6b?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Fringe tree?

Take a close up of a flower using a plant ID app or Google Lens, it will usually be more definitive than a leaf ID.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

kid sinister posted:

What is this bush that is flowering right now in zone 6b?

Fringe tree for sure, looks more like the native Chionanthis virginicus than a Chinese fringe tree. They smell lovely and are really nice small trees and have fun names like grantsy graybeard.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

tree story:

I planted some buckeyes the year before last. one sprouted last year, one seed got obviously moldy, and the other 2 did nothing.

i composted the moldy one and the sprouted one lost its leaves almost immediately and turned into a sickly looking stick for 10 months.

well this spring the containers I put aside to deal w later had some nice new growth. the stick was back and I got a new sprout and now I have 2 healthy looking trees :)

Also, as a child I always thought buckeye leaves look a lot like marijuana. Now that I'm an adult that smokes a ton of weed I still think that :420:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That's cool! I collect buckeyes when they fall, and I managed to grow one into a pretty big tree. This stick worm has been hanging out on it pretending to be a different stick every day.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
drat it, I can't figure out something small to put in place of my 2 heavenly bamboos that 99% died after I had to remove the massive silver maple in my back yard. I guess they don't like full sun now? I'm open to recommendations. Full sun, zone 6a, 3 feet tall.

Also, in my front yard I have a beautyberry that flowers, yet has never had berries. Would shade do that? It's under a pin oak. Should I move it to the back yard?

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 26, 2024

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

kid sinister posted:

drat it, I can't figure out something small to put in place of my 2 heavenly bamboos that 99% died after I had to remove the massive silver maple in my back yard. I guess they don't like full sun now? I'm open to recommendations. Full sun, zone 6a, 3 feet tall.

Also, in my front yard I have a beautyberry that flowers, yet has never had berries. Would shade do that? It's under a pin oak. Should I move it to the back yard?
Some plants (not sure about beautyberries) are male or female and only the female plants produce fruit. The male flowers only produce pollen or somethin, so maybe that’s it? Or there aren’t any other beautyberries around to pollinate it? Or it is sterile? Beautyberries are naturally an understory plant so I think they would be fine in some shade and I’ve seen plenty growing in shade that still fruit.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Some plants (not sure about beautyberries) are male or female and only the female plants produce fruit. The male flowers only produce pollen or somethin, so maybe that’s it? Or there aren’t any other beautyberries around to pollinate it? Or it is sterile? Beautyberries are naturally an understory plant so I think they would be fine in some shade and I’ve seen plenty growing in shade that still fruit.

What the hell? I just pulled up pictures of beautyberry flowers and mine look nothing like that! Did I just buy the wrong loving bush?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

kid sinister posted:

What the hell? I just pulled up pictures of beautyberry flowers and mine look nothing like that! Did I just buy the wrong loving bush?

Post ur bush

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Post your hosta nubs or gtfo, I’ll post mine after the “frost” tonight