Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Actively sabotaging stories he doesn't like definitely feels like Denning's thing. His slapfight with Traviss was embarrassing for both of them but he literally attempted to murder all of her characters offscreen in a single sentence.

Invincible is a loving awful book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.
Yeah, I do emphasize with him on Traviss' Mando wank but he should've handled that a lot better.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Sabotaging Legacy and trying to kill off Traviss's poo poo makes him more sympathetic, not less.

(still awful, however)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
If Traviss had just made more Republic Commando books, or the "Mandos in the New Republic era"/"Boba becomes Lord Mandalore" plot had been a separate side series I would have been so much happier. I honestly really liked the characters, and the perspective of groups that hated the Jedi but weren't just dark side users of various stripes, but forcing all that into an ongoing plot just didn't work

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Her Republic Commando books are great. I picked them up over the last couple of years just because the game was so fun and I was curious about the tie-in. Happily the rest of the slapfight is stuff published when I wasn't paying attention and also in series I haven't bothered to go looking for since.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Chairman Capone posted:

I mean, this is from literally the original appearance of Soontir Fel and tied into his entire character arc and intention to defect to Rogue Squadron, I feel like it's not a huge groaner to the extent of like half of the Mos Eisley patrons being involved in stealing the Death Star plans.

do they ever actually like rescue his sister or whatever. because i had the comics and they never really go anywhere outside i think rescuing fel's sister and someone shoots some rear end in a top hat through the head while he is holding a kid MJ style over a balcony and the brawny butch coded lady pilot (who is a secret princess who killed her brother after he got brainwashed by vader) catches said kid.

T___A posted:

Yeah, I do emphasize with him on Traviss' Mando wank but he should've handled that a lot better.

i will say i like the disney/clone wars ideas of the mandos, that they kinda have the whole Klingon warrior society poo poo but there are different levels of devotion and poo poo but you also see that they are all kinda assholes. i also like that the empire goes full ceasars legion on their asses and they either got subsumed into the empire OR they get slaughtered/driven underground.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

jivjov posted:

If Traviss had just made more Republic Commando books, or the "Mandos in the New Republic era"/"Boba becomes Lord Mandalore" plot had been a separate side series I would have been so much happier. I honestly really liked the characters, and the perspective of groups that hated the Jedi but weren't just dark side users of various stripes, but forcing all that into an ongoing plot just didn't work

I really liked Hard Contact, but in retrospect looking it back over it's clear that a lot of the seeds for her insanity were there from the start.

Has she ever commented on The Mandalorian? I have to imagine she's at least glad that the word "beskar" is a lasting contribution of hers.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

do they ever actually like rescue his sister or whatever. because i had the comics and they never really go anywhere outside i think rescuing fel's sister and someone shoots some rear end in a top hat through the head while he is holding a kid MJ style over a balcony and the brawny butch coded lady pilot (who is a secret princess who killed her brother after he got brainwashed by vader) catches said kid.

If I remember right, this was supposed to be shown in the comic but the series was canceled early (in what feels now like a kind of soft-reset that Dark Horse did in 1998/99 to pave the way for the prequel tie-ins). The idea was that going to be part of a tie-in miniseries to Zahn's later Thrawn books that would show how Baron Fel was recruited by Thrawn, but that also never came about.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hard Contact through True Colors work for the same reason that Mandalorian works. It's a genre story told through the lens of Star Wars rather than Star Wars trying to do star wars with bits of a genre. Order 66 on the other hand is a pretty bad book and 501st was rushed out before traviss quit the franchise and both of them ended up trying to tie into her much weaker LOTF novels.

It's one thing to write military science fiction where soldiers feel so disassociated from society that they make their own society to be free from the whims of an uncaring government but it does not work at all when you suddenly have established characters espouse the same ideals because Traviss didn't know or didn't care to write major characters without applying her world view.

The first three Commando books are very good but they just fall apart when they tie into her terrible lotf novels.

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Why was Traviss even brought on to write for LoTF? It makes sense that she wrote Republic Commando because that kind of fiction is her shtick.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dont think they had any idea what to do with Legacy of the Force since every author was doing their pet storylines and occasionally dipping into the actual plot. Allston was doing a Han and Wedge adventure, Traviss was doing Mando Renaissance and Denning was writing a sequel to the bugnest orgies.

It honestly feels like the higher ups who authorized the story didn't have any actual oversight and didn't care as long as the authors included the necessary story beats in the overarching plot. They just picked three authors whose stories were popular in the EU st the to and told then to make a story.

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

In depth retrospective piece on that era and part of the EU would be interesting. The pre TV show Clone Wars people seemed to have their poo poo together.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dont know if they actually did have their poo poo together. The New Essential Chronology has more than its share of errors in it but it mostly succeeded in the monumental task of charting the in-universe history of the galaxy in a way that made logical sense. But if you look at individual stories you have to wonder if anyone knew what the overall plan was.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Chairman Capone posted:

If I remember right, this was supposed to be shown in the comic but the series was canceled early (in what feels now like a kind of soft-reset that Dark Horse did in 1998/99 to pave the way for the prequel tie-ins). The idea was that going to be part of a tie-in miniseries to Zahn's later Thrawn books that would show how Baron Fel was recruited by Thrawn, but that also never came about.

I could have sworn that one of the Thrawn books or in a comic, they explicitly said they cloned Fel for the TIE fighter corps. Or am misremembering books and comics I last read 10+ years ago?

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

ScottyJSno posted:

I could have sworn that one of the Thrawn books or in a comic, they explicitly said they cloned Fel for the TIE fighter corps. Or am misremembering books and comics I last read 10+ years ago?

That was in the Hand of Thrawn duology, where a group of Fel clones had been planted as sleeper agents on a remote agricultural world, and then when their wakeup signal came they decided to defect to the New Republic because they loved farming too much.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Anshu posted:

That was in the Hand of Thrawn duology, where a group of Fel clones had been planted as sleeper agents on a remote agricultural world, and then when their wakeup signal came they decided to defect to the New Republic because they loved farming too much.

Oh my god I had forgotten this. It's such a small plot point it gets practically lost among the rest of the kooky adventures in those books lol

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Anshu posted:

That's the stuff. Thanks.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

I dont know if they actually did have their poo poo together. The New Essential Chronology has more than its share of errors in it but it mostly succeeded in the monumental task of charting the in-universe history of the galaxy in a way that made logical sense. But if you look at individual stories you have to wonder if anyone knew what the overall plan was.

That's probably true of the general EU but if T___A was referring to the original Clone Wars series of works from 2002-05 then I think that was pretty closely coordinated, at least in terms of getting people from LucasArts, Dark Horse, Del Rey, and a general Lucasfilm continuity staff all together to have a general overarching idea and develop shared original characters like Ventress.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

yeah. i remember reading the essential guide and than scouring for the comics but yeah that makes sense.

Arcsquad12 posted:

galactic warfare also ties a bunch of poo poo together too. like they tie together the dumbass villian from crystal star and make him allies with fyra and dessann from outcast and their whole movement is called "empire reborn". poo poo like that.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Episode 2 of the Dark Empire fan animation adaptation has been released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIM76LKh6zs

I like how he uses the Rise of Skywalker look/cyborg frame for Palpatine in a nice bit of turnabout.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Chairman Capone posted:

Episode 2 of the Dark Empire fan animation adaptation has been released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIM76LKh6zs

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Does he have stairs in his Jedi temple?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

cptn_dr posted:

Does he have stairs in his Jedi temple?

Is R2-D2 the pusher robot or the shover robot?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCHJwu7ozwo

ScottyJSno posted:

idk. the fel stuff is weird because most of the poo poo never even ends up in books or anything. he just became this cool Imp mary sue who had some cool comic moments but than never did anything.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ScottyJSno posted:

Sooontir Fel and his clone of a clone Soooontir Fel

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Baron Fel himself is kind of odd in that outside of the last few volumes of the X-Wing comic, he doesn't really appear in any stories. He has a cameo in one of the Crispin Solo books, and I think one or two of the NJO books. So the character casts this long shadow that's basically bolstered by references and sourcebook stuff but his actual appearances are almost nil. Kind of like Thrawn in that way, actually, at least before the endless Thrawn prequel appearances.

Actually looking it up now on Wookieepedia, the 181st Squadron itself is not really in a lot of stories, which surprises me. I feel like I remembered them showing up everywhere in the old EU.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Chairman Capone posted:

Baron Fel himself is kind of odd in that outside of the last few volumes of the X-Wing comic, he doesn't really appear in any stories. He has a cameo in one of the Crispin Solo books, and I think one or two of the NJO books. So the character casts this long shadow that's basically bolstered by references and sourcebook stuff but his actual appearances are almost nil. Kind of like Thrawn in that way, actually, at least before the endless Thrawn prequel appearances.

Actually looking it up now on Wookieepedia, the 181st Squadron itself is not really in a lot of stories, which surprises me. I feel like I remembered them showing up everywhere in the old EU.

Yeah, looking at it myself, it surprises me as well. Granted, the books where they do show up (Or more often, get mentioned) include the Wraith Squadron books, and they weren't invented until 1997, by which point a good amount of the old EU set during the years shortly after RotJ was already written and things would soon be swinging toward the prequels and the NJO.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

exactly. he is more meta made history than anything in canon. thrawn was at least in other books and comics and games and poo poo even if it was cameos.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

If you played Rogue Squadron they kinda played a big-ish part in the middle of the game. It's where I heard of them and since I didn't read a whole lot of EU stuff I also thought they must be a big deal if a video game is referencing them.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I didn't know about Soontir Fel until I played the X-Wing miniatures game. He *completely* warped the meta for the game so it was hard not to pay attention to him. It's funny to hear he's not really in much otherwise.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the 181st couldn't have shown up more often and also remained the most elite tie interceptor squadron in the empire, because wedge is obligated to blow up at least 30 tie fighters whenever he gets into an x-wing

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

There was some neat Rogue Squadron stuff planned that never saw the light of day, like The Reenlistment of Baron Fel. And one of the things sadly lost in the collapse of WEG was the Rogue Squadron Sourcebook.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jazerus posted:

the 181st couldn't have shown up more often and also remained the most elite tie interceptor squadron in the empire, because wedge is obligated to blow up at least 30 tie fighters whenever he gets into an x-wing

Well as TIE Fighter taught me, the whole "you gotta complete 20 missions in a regular TIE to become an Interceptor pilot" thing is bullshit because I was in an Interceptor pilot by the 4th mission, so obviously they just keep replacing pilots as fast as Wedge can destroy them :v:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Presumably you did 17 other completely unremarkable patrols.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Stele did nothing unremarkable. His unremarkable tours were a front for the secret order.

That spaceside traffic stop? Secret mission.

Getting coffee for the Admiral? Secret mission.

Resupplying assault gunboats using a missile tug? Secret. Mission. Objective Completed! The Emperor will be pleased!

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Found someone on Tiktok that says she was named after Jaina Solo.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

T___A posted:

Found someone on Tiktok that says she was named after Jaina Solo.

Probably not the same one, but one of the hosts of Star Wars Beyond the Films named his first daughter Jaina.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm pretty sure I saw someone recently who named their daughter Allana. That's commitment.

There are a few Star Wars podcast people who named their son Anakin.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean Allana isn't that out of the ordinary.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

just so long as we don't get a callista...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Jazerus posted:

just so long as we don't get a callista...

Don’t tell Harrison Ford.