Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Rochallor posted:

I wonder if part of it is that the books aren't important anymore

They never were, they were just fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
SOTE also gets referenced quite a bit in X-Wing Alliance with Black Sun and Dash Rendar (w/Outrider) making appearances

Edit:

Casimir Radon posted:

But the movie had already pissed me off considerably in the first 5 minutes with “lightspeed skipping”.

This also exists in X-Wing Alliance :v:

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 9, 2022

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Anyone have that comic someone drew where they were trying to determine who should be the next ruler of the empire? And it was like raise your hand if you’re immediately going to turn into a warlord, or raise your hand if you’re so stupid you can’t eat without being supervised.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

fartknocker posted:

Denis Lawson’s two second cameo was the one thing in that movie that gave me a huge grin and I’m pretty sure I did a fist pump.

same but i just wanted him to be in an x-wing or something. like i fine with it but ehh.

Xenomrph posted:

It doesn’t help that NuCanon tends to be worse than Legends IMO.

My biggest nitpicks are that they’ll do similar-but-slightly-different poo poo instead of, you know, re-canonizing the old stuff people liked that would still fit. They made a sorta Wraith Squadron knockoff in the NuCanon instead of just bringing the Wraiths back. Instead of re-canonizing Shadows of the Empire we got whatever War of the Bounty Hunters was. Baffling little changes like killing off Hobbie, or wiping out Keyan Farlander in favor of a new character.

It doesn’t help that a lot of the NuCanon feels like it’s the Dave Filoni-verse. Like Clone Wars and Rebels were neat, but I don’t need every new series to have wall to wall Filoni references in it. I rolled my eyes a little bit when Cad Bane showed up in the Boba Fett show, and I rolled them again when the Obi-Wan trailer had the Inquisitor from Rebels. It all makes the universe feel smaller and like a Filoni circle-jerk - they should be either referencing other old Legends stuff that people liked (bring back Mara Jade as a badass imperial assassin), or creating all new stuff. I don’t need everything to be a Filoni reference.

Not to mention the turbo-stupid decision to decisively end the Galactic Civil War one year after Endor, which I’ve harped on before. At least the Mandalorian has walked that back a little.

What I’m saying is Legends is my “real” Star Wars.

agreed but i dont hate the iquistors or any of that stuff. i do like the empire feeling "smaller" in some ways with maybe having like 50 or more big jedi hunters and everyone outside Sheeve and to an extent vader being ultimately disposible. like its one of the themes i liked out of fallen order, no one really matters to the empire, they can all die as long as sheeve can sit in some chair doing sith magic or whatever.

i think the biggest issue with nu canon is the new trilogy being a weak mixed bag that ends with a big wet fart and now Disney is basically just filling the spaces before the movies.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nthing the desire to see Lawson back in an X-Wing but that's more of an issue with Episode 9 having generally pretty poo poo action sequences. The space battle is incredibly boring despite having fifty billion ships show up because it's so static. And then it keeps cutting back to the space horse sequence which is about as exciting as Han Solo standing in a doorway for 20 minutes during Return of the Jedi.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The worst of it is how many shots of ships sloooowly falling out of the sky we see. There's zero urgency to what should be a moment of utter panic.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

But guys, they blew up Tantive IV and killed Nien Numb, the most memorable ship and character

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Okay you're joking and all but those legit were the most impactful moments of the whole film.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I was more impacted by Ackbar dying in TLJ. I barely remember Nien Numb was in the sequel trilogy and don’t remember him or Tantive IV getting blown up at all.

Of course, I haven’t watched TRoS in it’s entirety since opening night in the theater, and have only caught bits and pieces on TBS when there is nothing else on TV for background noise, so there could be a fuckton in that final battle I missed or don’t remember :shrug:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I get more of a rush watching the broadside duel between the Guarlara and Invisible Hand in Episode 3.

How did Tantive IV even exist anymore? I'm sure we'll get a comic or something and fifty thousand "Explained" videos repeating talking points about how it managed to escape the Devastator and avoid getting blown up in a docking port on the Death Dtar.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's covered in Resistance Reborn. The ISB held onto it for a while looking for "evidence" and post-war it ended up in the CEC museum on Corellia. After The Last Jedi a Resistance team doing something on Corellia lost their way off-world so they boosted it.

Then they covered it again in the visual dictionary for TRoS and it's basically "some dude found it on a junkheap and gave it back to Leia as a gift".

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Vinylshadow posted:

But guys, they blew up Tantive IV and killed Nien Numb, the most memorable ship and character

Isn't there a controversy because the guy playing Nien Nub says that he actually isn't killed, or the novelization and the movie show different things, something like that?

Funny enough, I remember on some thread on TheForce.Net someone complaining about Wedge not being in TFA, and the response being "Well, Wedge is just an incredibly minor character in the OT, why would he even be back? I'm glad they're not just filling the Resistance base with cameos of minor OT characters!" And when I asked why Nien Nub was there in that case, I don't think I got a response!

Arc Hammer posted:

How did Tantive IV even exist anymore? I'm sure we'll get a comic or something and fifty thousand "Explained" videos repeating talking points about how it managed to escape the Devastator and avoid getting blown up in a docking port on the Death Dtar.

It's especially funny because in the new Disney canon, it was specifically stated somewhere that Vader blew up the Tantive IV after capturing it, but Abrams just disregarded it because he wanted to include it for symmetry. I think there were a few other things in TROS that also just ignored existing continuity from the books, but can't remember what by this point.

Not to say that movie makers shouldn't ignore stuff like that, but it's just funny because the argument for ditching the EU was "we can now build a totally-cohesive continuity where reference books and movies are equally valid" and... whoops!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arquinsiel posted:

Then they covered it again in the visual dictionary for TRoS and it's basically "some dude found it on a junkheap and gave it back to Leia as a gift".

Lol, so Chewie gets a medal and Leia gets an old junker because those are things people remember. Should I really expect more from you movie with the space chimp in a welding helmet and a bunch of recycled star destroyer models with dick cannons bolted to them?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 9, 2022

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Chairman Capone posted:

It's especially funny because in the new Disney canon, it was specifically stated somewhere that Vader blew up the Tantive IV after capturing it, but Abrams just disregarded it because he wanted to include it for symmetry. I think there were a few other things in TROS that also just ignored existing continuity from the books, but can't remember what by this point.

Not to say that movie makers shouldn't ignore stuff like that, but it's just funny because the argument for ditching the EU was "we can now build a totally-cohesive continuity where reference books and movies are equally valid" and... whoops!

The Empire reported the ship destroyed, but it was eventually found derelict, restored, and gifted back to Leia (per the TROS visual dictionary, which is basically the only way you're going to learn anything about the background for the movie, so ¯\_:smith:_/¯)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I just want Mara Jade back. Have her be a badass Imperial assassin doing cool poo poo. Come on Disney, do the needful.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

"Adopted daughter of Space Hitler" doesn't really scan very well these days.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Chairman Capone posted:

Poe Dameron's backstory, as established by a 37 issue comic, a different 4 issue comic, a few bits in the Resistance cartoon, and the little bits of the previous two mainline films.

Nothing major really.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Siivola posted:

"Great Grandson of Hitler metaphorically lusting after Daughter of Hitler" is where the true money lies

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Siivola posted:

She doesn’t have to be his adopted daughter, she’s just a special Inquisitor and assassin. Hell, introduce other Emperor’s Hands just like the old EU did.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Angry_Ed posted:

This also exists in X-Wing Alliance :v:
There's incredibly fast hyperspace sequences for gameplay reasons, but at no point do you transition from hyperspace to the surface of a planet and back again. TCW had an episode where they went to lightspeed inside a planet's atmosphere which was hard enough to swallow.

I found that Moff comic. If I remember right someone's friend made it. There doesn't seem to be any identifying information on it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

TCW had an episode where they went to lightspeed inside a planet's atmosphere which was hard enough to swallow.

TFA had a scene where they went to lightspeed inside a giant tentacle monster which was trying hard to swallow them!

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

same but i just wanted him to be in an x-wing or something. like i fine with it but ehh.

Might've just been a scheduling thing. The only other time we see the Falcon's turret is in the opening sequence with Finn, so his availability may have just overlapped with when they were doing that rather than when they were filming other X-Wing cockpit stuff.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

fartknocker posted:

I was more impacted by Ackbar dying in TLJ. I barely remember Nien Numb was in the sequel trilogy and don’t remember him or Tantive IV getting blown up at all.

Of course, I haven’t watched TRoS in it’s entirety since opening night in the theater, and have only caught bits and pieces on TBS when there is nothing else on TV for background noise, so there could be a fuckton in that final battle I missed or don’t remember :shrug:

this, i dont remember that at all. that movie was a lovely blur. i like the previous two movies well enough but lol that movie was such dog poo poo.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

fartknocker posted:

Just to throw some semi-random thoughts on the subject of the NuEU and it's apparent lack of popularity:

Honestly, I think anytime a series does a time jump, then wants to go back and explain why everything's different with fill-in material, that's really hard to pull off, because if you know the end result, a lot of the emotional punch from events is gone. Luke becomes a bitter, jaded hobo? Well why would I care about all his adventures between ROTJ and TLJ, it's not going to matter.

Not saying there hasn't been times where time jumps + the material added later to explain them was done well, but Star Wars is a really good example of where it wasn't handled well, mostly because the Sequel Trilogy just wanted to do a soft reset, not realizing that fans wanted to see their old characters continue where they picked off, not be failures.

I'll still never get over the fact that they couldn't have just made Rey a student at Luke's new Jedi Academy. Could've been a good contrast to Anakin, where you have another crazy-powerful new Jedi, but thanks to Luke's lessons, she doesn't fall down the same trap Anakin did.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Features Han and Leia's wedding, as well as their honeymoon aboard the Galactic Starcruiser Halcyon a trip that can also be yours for a measly 5 grand for two nights

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Vinylshadow posted:

Features Han and Leia's wedding, as well as their honeymoon aboard the Galactic Starcruiser Halcyon a trip that can also be yours for a measly 5 grand for two nights

But they already covered their wedding in the still-very-much-canon Courtship of Princess Leia??? :confused:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Vinylshadow posted:

I don’t know that I’m interested in it given it’s a tie-in to their cheap expensive mess of an experience. But the cover art is decent looking. Not quite to the standards of a 90s book cover but it’s not a crude photoshop so that’s nice.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It's definitely meant to evoke Drew Struzan's Courtship of Princess Leia cover.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Casimir Radon posted:

I don’t know that I’m interested in it given it’s a tie-in to their cheap expensive mess of an experience. But the cover art is decent looking. Not quite to the standards of a 90s book cover but it’s not a crude photoshop so that’s nice.

I was gonna say almost the exact same thing. I have no real interest in the book, but that cover art is gorgeous. Especially compared to all the lazy stuff we've been getting for years. Wow.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I found a huge collection of SW audiobooks and they are unabridged. I knew going in it had to be digital rips of the books I listened to growing up because the only unabridged audiobooks of stuff like the Jedi Academy Trilogy or New Jedi Order was done by the Library for the Blind. I knew this because, ya know, kinda blind and I used them all the time as a child/teenager.

I'm honestly excited to listen to a lot of these since I missed a ton as a child. Notably I listened to the first three, maybe four NJO books then skipped around a ton and finally listened to Unifying Force without any of the immediately preceding books. It was very confusing. And also I missed Traitor which everybody says was great.

So this will be both a trip down nostalgia lane and something new. They even have a bunch of the New Republic era books I always wanted to read, including the aforementioned Courtship of Princess Leia.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Speaking of audio books, I think the fact that Marc Thompson was paid to dramatically read out a sequence describing a Sith Lord suckling on a Cthutlu monsters tentacle to feed on the emotion of fear while Luke Skywalker and his son are forced to just sit there and watch. Has made my decision to save on shelf space and spend a bit of extra money on audiobooks the best decision I've made in a while. That poo poo was hilariously dumb

Having context for the whole Abeloth thing now, I wonder if that dude I played the RPG with so many years knew about ANY of this story or they just went "whoa cool mind gently caress force powers!" and stopped there

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Speaking of hilariously dumb, in the War of the Bounty Hunters comics apparently 4-LOM is pronounced “For-Elloem” and not “For-Lom” (like mom). It’s stupid and I hate it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He does stuff for love of money, but not at the cost of extra syllables for his acronym.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Xenomrph posted:

Speaking of hilariously dumb, the War of the Bounty Hunters comics
FTFY.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The only parts of it I've even read are the stuff from the "Companion" trade paperback (with the Jabba, IG-88, 4-LOM/Zuckuss, and Boushh stories) and all it did is make me want to re-read Shadows of the Empire and the Tales of the Bounty Hunters books.

"For Elloem" is still dumb as gently caress though. Chalk it up to another example of the NuCanon taking something not broken and trying to fix it.

In yet another example of Wookieepedia editors not giving a poo poo about NuCanon, the IG-88 article is literally one paragraph and mentions none of the events of his comic book, or the other stories set before it where he apparently fights Darth Vader (twice!). It does, however, mention that in NuCanon there are still 4 IG-88s like there were in Legends, so that's neat.

Edit-- looks like there's a dedicated IG-88B page that has all of that stuff. Apparently his whole "upload into the second Death Star" thing is still canon by way of some digital card game though, lol.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah that's not canon. The card "game" was just a digital Topps thing where you could open packs of trading cards. There was no game element to it. It also pre-dates the Disney purchase but didn't get shut down until 2018 so it's just in the same space as SWTOR. Most of the "there are five of them" stuff comes from things like that which was a licenced property pre-Disney that just kept going until that licence ran out or stopped being profitable.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The wiki cites the 2018 Complete Visual Dictionary as one of the "there are five of him" sources. :shrug:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

[cardassianishly]: there are five ig-88s

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Xenomrph posted:

The wiki cites the 2018 Complete Visual Dictionary as one of the "there are five of him" sources. :shrug:
Click through to what that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Arquinsiel posted:

Click through to what that is.

Yeah, it’s an edited (?) collected reprint of older books.