Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

When the Solo movie showed the tentacle monster around the Maw, I thought for sure it was meant to be Abeloth.

Apparently it came from a meeting where they were brainstorming things the Falcon could encounter during the Kessel Run, and one of the designers joked "what if they ran into a giant jellyfish?" and apparently Ron Howard liked the idea enough to put it in the movie. So it probably wasn't designed as an intentional nod, but the name Summa-Verminoth definitely has eldritch vibes so maybe Jon Kasdan or Pablo Hidalgo or whoever ended up naming it was thinking of Abeloth at least a little bit.

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

After the movie came out, Kasdan wrote a bunch of tweets with little details about the movie and one of them was that the name summa-verminoth was a reference to De Vermis Mysteriis, a forbidden book invented by Robert Bloch and used by Lovecraft in some of his late stories. The beach at the end is named the Pnakotic Coast also after Lovecraft's Pnakotic Manuscripts. According to Kasdan both he and Howard are big Lovecraft fans. I have to admit it's a funny mental image to picture wholesome Ron Howard sitting down for a pleasant evening of reading through The Dunwich Horror or whatever.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Chairman Capone posted:

After the movie came out, Kasdan wrote a bunch of tweets with little details about the movie and one of them was that the name summa-verminoth was a reference to De Vermis Mysteriis, a forbidden book invented by Robert Bloch and used by Lovecraft in some of his late stories. The beach at the end is named the Pnakotic Coast also after Lovecraft's Pnakotic Manuscripts. According to Kasdan both he and Howard are big Lovecraft fans. I have to admit it's a funny mental image to picture wholesome Ron Howard sitting down for a pleasant evening of reading through The Dunwich Horror or whatever.
Well it turns out Stephen Colbert is a HUGE fan of John Carpenter’s ‘The Thing’, which I never would have guessed in a million years, so Howard liking Lovecraft doesn’t seem that crazy.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Chairman Capone posted:

Kind of sad that that character isn't singing Leia's drugged out version of the main theme from the Holiday Special.

Wouldn't that mean admitting they own the Holiday Special?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

You know how Solo got a lot of criticism for rapidly showing every incident we know about Han's past per the OT? Well I've been slowly working my way through Crispin's Han Solo Trilogy, and I'll read the Daley novels when I get to those points where they fit into Rebel Dawn's chronology. I haven't read it since high school. Crispin's trilogy shows off all the stuff we know about Han's past, but also includes background material on happenings from the EU too. Probably the most egregious example is Han running into Horsefucker Thul's yet unmarried parents on Alderaan in 10BBY. There's also some stuff about his history with Thracken that happened when he was a child. The Hutt Gambit so far has even more references to works that come later. Vima-Da-Boda tells Han's fortune and alludes to Mako betraying him in Dark Empire, which is actually a pretty decent bit of foreshadowing and I don't have an issue with it. Less good is Han's history with everyone on Smuggler's Run from The New Rebellion, and meeting up with Xaverri from The Crystal Star. I don't know that I'd read many of these books before the trilogy so I might not have known anything was being alluded to there.

I like the trilogy when I first read it but now half a lifetime older, and knowing far more about EU stuff, it's kind of exhausting to read. It's not enough of its own story a lot of the time.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Casimir Radon posted:

You know how Solo got a lot of criticism for rapidly showing every incident we know about Han's past per the OT? Well I've been slowly working my way through Crispin's Han Solo Trilogy, and I'll read the Daley novels when I get to those points where they fit into Rebel Dawn's chronology. I haven't read it since high school. Crispin's trilogy shows off all the stuff we know about Han's past, but also includes background material on happenings from the EU too. Probably the most egregious example is Han running into Horsefucker Thul's yet unmarried parents on Alderaan in 10BBY. There's also some stuff about his history with Thracken that happened when he was a child. The Hutt Gambit so far has even more references to works that come later. Vima-Da-Boda tells Han's fortune and alludes to Mako betraying him in Dark Empire, which is actually a pretty decent bit of foreshadowing and I don't have an issue with it. Less good is Han's history with everyone on Smuggler's Run from The New Rebellion, and meeting up with Xaverri from The Crystal Star. I don't know that I'd read many of these books before the trilogy so I might not have known anything was being alluded to there.

I like the trilogy when I first read it but now half a lifetime older, and knowing far more about EU stuff, it's kind of exhausting to read. It's not enough of its own story a lot of the time.

yeah the entire old EU was way way to wrapped up in the Skywalker/solo clan to the point that everything always had to connect with long histories of connection. like it can't just be solo knows tons of people and some of those friendships either ended very badly or just kinda drifted apart. for all its issues, at least Solo set up that you can see where han will eventually end up in new hope. this is why he is sorta afraid of making connections and here we can see he can be ruthless and selfless etc. its not amazing but its solid enough. i like that that the big face off is mostly tarantino lite bullshitting and a quick fight in some dickheads office.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Vinylshadow posted:

Wouldn't that mean admitting they own the Holiday Special?

It's on Disney+! At least the animated section is, which as I understand it is the only section that they can really show due to rights issues. And even outside of it there have been a ton of references to the Holiday Special the last few years. Mandalorian, Book of Boba Fett, comics, Squadrons, Lego Holiday Special.

Even before the Disney buyout, the idea that the Holiday Special was banned or whatever is overblown. Lumpy, Malla, Itchy, and Life Day were all over the old EU. In the Black Fleet Trilogy, the author even said that he originally was going to do an entirely new backstory and family for Chewie, but was told by Lucasfilm he needed to adhere to the Holiday Special depiction.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think it was more of an embarrassment issue for Lucas himself more than anyone else. So Disney isn’t really going to care. The first place I ever heard about it was a special feature on the AOTC DVD taking about Jango. They showed a little portion of the cartoon. So that’s an official Lucasfilm product talking about it 20 years ago.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I remember an interview with Breckin Meyer and he mentioned that when they went to Lucasfilm to do work on... I think it was Detours, they had free reign of the Lucasfilm archives, and the Holiday Special was there and they just pulled it up and watched it and it wasn't a big deal.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember an interview with Breckin Meyer and he mentioned that when they went to Lucasfilm to do work on... I think it was Detours, they had free reign of the Lucasfilm archives, and the Holiday Special was there and they just pulled it up and watched it and it wasn't a big deal.
An episode of Detours leaked a couple years ago, and can be watched on Archive.org. It's not very good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Isn't it essentially just a G rated version of the Robot Chicken specials

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

Isn't it essentially just a G rated version of the Robot Chicken specials
It was risque enough that Seth Green speculated that they'd have to make some edits if Disney+ ever wanted to air it. The leaked episode is pretty awful so I don't see them ever putting it up despite a ton of completed episodes. There’s a content filter on Disney+ now that either locks out content for kids or shows them an edited version. So they could put them up, but it’s probably more an issue of it not being very good rather than concerns about it being appropriate.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The only good thing about Detours is that it uses Han's animated design from the Holiday Special

Also yes, the series itself is...uh...something

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

"Man, will I be happy when we can stop pretending this thing's a mall" is the only half decent joke in the bunch. There are 39 episodes of that completed, just sitting somewhere. Weird Al said last month that there are several original songs he worked on for the show that have never seen the light of day, and the third season would have had a musical episode.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 15, 2022

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Casimir Radon posted:

"Ma, will I be happy when we can stop pretending this thing's a mall" is the only half decent joke in the bunch. There are 39 episodes of that completed, just sitting somewhere. Weird Al said last month that there are several original songs he worked on for the show that have never seen the light of day, and the third season would have had a musical episode.

39 episodes completed for something we'll never see is just crazy (I know they're short, but still). I still want to see all of it, because either it's not as bad as they say it is, or it's so bad that it would be fascinating in its own way.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Maybe it’s so bad that viewing it kills the viewer like gazing into the Ark of the Covenant or watching the Ring tape, so Disney/LFL are in fact protecting humanity from something objectively destructive? :ohdear:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The pacing of Backlash just DIES once everybody is on Dathomire messing with this clan meeting and Nightsisters stuff!

As weary as I am about Aboleths involvement in this plot at least when she’s involved there were things going on and we were getting snippets of answers to the illness plot and the cool force vision quest stuff in the maw was a little long winded at times too but it was still neat to read about and getting to meet these old characters in their deaths

But I’m finding I’m just not caring a ton about the forest tribes and the adventures of the little girl and droid show

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Apr 20, 2022

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Dathomir stuff is the only thing I remember liking about FOTJ. Then it was back to dumb poo poo and Denning trying to write teen romance.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

thrawn527 posted:

It’s clear from this that it’s never going down in price, because there’s too much involved, and that it’s absolutely not worth that price.
I had a real good time. Having watched Jenny's Patreon videos she gets stumped by a simple puzzle early on by refusing to look at her phone and that seems to really throw her off for the rest of it.

Chairman Capone posted:

It reads as a reference to Shuma-Gorath to me, which is a thing from Robert E. Howard's Kull the Conqueror stories.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Covers for the next wave of Essential Legends books:

https://twitter.com/DelReyStarWars/status/1516788006740500486

Definitely an improvement on the original Death Troopers cover.

Also some story details and concept art from the canceled/revived Star Wars game coming out from Skydance: https://bespinbulletin.com/2022/04/story-details-on-the-cancelled-amy-hennig-star-wars-game-thats-being-revived-by-skydance-new-media/

The Imperial superweapon in this is... kind of strange, although interestingly looks like it's reusing some of the concept art from TFA for the Resistance superweapon that got cut from the movie.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I wish they weren't spacing out the X-Wing books so much. I mostly consume SW novels now through unabridged audiobooks and having to wait several months in between to relive them kind of sucks. I'm sure the plan is to space them out until Rogue Squadron comes out in a couple years.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I had forgotten they were doing a Rogue Squadron movie! Do we even know when It’s suppose to take place?

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Apr 24, 2022

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

The Shame Boy posted:

I had forgotten they were doing a Rogue Squadron movie! Do we even know she. It’s suppose to take place?

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

The Shame Boy posted:

I had forgotten they were doing a Rogue Squadron movie! Do we even know when It’s suppose to take place?

We know basically nothing about it, but the logo for the movie and the teaser thing they did when it was announced both show an OT T-65 X-wing, so the assumption is it’ll be set around or shortly after the OT like almost everything else has been lately.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Also, we have no idea if it’s still happening. They’ve been awfully quiet about since the 1-2 punch of 1) Rogue Squadron Patty Jenkins’ WW84 being met with almost universal hatred and 2) the Star Wars TV shows hitting it big, causing a seeming refocus off of movies and onto TV shows.

It may still happen, but I’d like a comment from Lucasfilm confirming it at this point. Because I’m starting to feel like it’s being quietly shelved.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Retool Rogue Squadron into a tv series like they did for the Boba and Kenobi movies, obviously

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Vinylshadow posted:

Retool Rogue Squadron into a tv series like they did for the Boba and Kenobi movies, obviously

You can basically take like a third of the plots from the old Black Sheep Squadron show and replace the F4U Corsairs with X-wings and you’re set.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Is the new Disney timeline anything like the Legends one when it comes to Rogue Squadron?

Legends had it formed by Luke and Wedge after Yavin then had Wedge reforming it a few years after Endor.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Disney Canon has Rogue Swuadron formed following the battle of Yavin in order to honor the sacrifice of Rogue One.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Wedge and Hobbie are in an episode of Rebels where Sabine helps them defect from Tie pilot training.

Let me tell you how annoyed I was when they got Lawson to come back for TROS and he was in it for 5 seconds.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Casimir Radon posted:

Wedge and Hobbie are in an episode of Rebels where Sabine helps them defect from Tie pilot training.

Let me tell you how annoyed I was when they got Lawson to come back for TROS and he was in it for 5 seconds.
Lawson at least reprised the role for the Squadrons videogame and you get to fly along side Wedge in a mission, which is pretty sweet.

Disney should just scrap the Rogue Squadron show/movie and make a series based on the fanfic/RPG pilot group I've been a member of for like 25 years.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Casimir Radon posted:

Best 5 seconds of that movie, though.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

It's also funny given he shows up right after Snap dies and has no reaction, given the Disney books made him Snap's adoptive father.

I remember it was circulated around for a while that Lawson had refused a cameo in TFA, but later it was revealed that Devin Faraci had made that up. There were a number of fans so angry at Lawson supposedly snubbing the new movies that they hoped Wedge was killed off in Aftermath to punish Lawson by making sure he could never reprise the role.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If babu frik was riding with Wedge going hey hey it would be better.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Killing Wedge off in any media should be a literal real-world actual serious tried-in-the-Hague war crime, change my mind. :colbert:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

It's also funny given he shows up right after Snap dies and has no reaction, given the Disney books made him Snap's adoptive father.

I remember it was circulated around for a while that Lawson had refused a cameo in TFA, but later it was revealed that Devin Faraci had made that up. There were a number of fans so angry at Lawson supposedly snubbing the new movies that they hoped Wedge was killed off in Aftermath to punish Lawson by making sure he could never reprise the role.
I’d heard that rumor too, which is why I found it so galling that they got him back and he’s not in it for any amount of time at all.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the rogue squadron movie should be an adaptation of starfighters of adumar

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Also I agree that it would be better as a series.

I haven’t heard of any SW series getting shown in theaters as a special event. I’d certainly pay to go watch that on a big screen.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Jazerus posted:

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Animal Friend posted:

Is the new Disney timeline anything like the Legends one when it comes to Rogue Squadron?

Legends had it formed by Luke and Wedge after Yavin then had Wedge reforming it a few years after Endor.

Slight correction, the old canon has it being formed after Yavin, but it mostly stays as a unit after. For Endor, they are either briefly redesignated as Red Squadron, but are back to the Rogue name shortly after (When the Rogue Squadron comics start). The core of that group remains intact for about a year or two before Wedge rebuilds it from the ground up in the novels.

Arc Hammer posted:

Disney Canon has Rogue Swuadron formed following the battle of Yavin in order to honor the sacrifice of Rogue One.

Current canon isn’t fully clear. One of the stories in From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back (Rendezvous Point) has Wedge and Janson forming a new Red Squadron after Hoth, since he doesn’t want to use the Rogue name again yet, but the Starfighter game set after Endor has him mention the Rogue’s are back and off elsewhere.

Jazerus posted:

:hmmyes:

Also because it’s an excuse to being Hobbie back from the dead again.