Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.
Some substantial changes with today's patch: https://back4blood.com/en-ca/patch-notes/june-2022-update

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerKid
Jan 3, 2002

Chill
They added about 5,000 supply points and 100 skull totems worth of cosmetics in this patch. I feel bad for anyone just picking up the game because if they want to be able to consistently get burn cards for higher difficulties they're in for ~200 hours of grinding.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

BonerKid posted:

They added about 5,000 supply points and 100 skull totems worth of cosmetics in this patch. I feel bad for anyone just picking up the game because if they want to be able to consistently get burn cards for higher difficulties they're in for ~200 hours of grinding.

Ya it’s a bad system. A separate caravan that always sells burn cards might help.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

BonerKid posted:

I get that people like hats in games, but hiding gameplay stuff behind cosmetics is dumb as poo poo.

Make one of the traders all gameplay items, piss on your shirts

Besides that the patch looks super good tbh

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
It's not as bad as it sounds, because supply point gain is up (I was getting double-digit extra numbers vs previous runs on every level of act 2 veteran) so you'll burn through the fixed supply lines for regular cards a lot faster, unlocking more rotating vendor slots. And there's still a rotating vendor who has burn cards even for a new player, iirc

because this patch really amps up supply gain I'd say it's probably better for a new player now, honestly

the skull totem lines front-load useful cards and the expensive cosmetics are at the end of each track, as well

I can consistently buy burn cards despite not having all the cosmetics and nowhere near 200 hours, is what I'm getting at

Psion fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jun 8, 2022

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Well that’s cool and good then

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
yeah I mean, there's still a lot of times you're gonna have to rolleyes and buy a cosmetic before you get the item you want in a track but at least it's faster now.

imo skull totems are the real jerk of a grind because you're limited to 3 per hive and they take a while, 6 if you get the deep hive but even then the time to skull ratio is .. ehhh.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Stuck my toe into vs mode for a bit. It's pretty good! Hardest part is getting a match going, like 90% of my time spent is searching for a game. Once we get rolling, it's a fun time. I like playing as the ridden, it's a nice change from the campaign.

Unrelated, but Holly's antifa outfit is the most badass one in the game

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug
The Nemesis now appears to call a never-ending horde from spawn points within 30 meters. It used to just attract zombies within a 30 meter range, but now they just don't stop coming. I've seen it in legendary and blue/purple versions.

Definitely not in the patch notes. I wonder if it's a bug or a feature. Either is likely. :v:

Also, the Damnation is still too much fun. EVERYTHING MUST BURN!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
The gravel event in 1-3 seems to be a never ending horde now, at least it was the last two times I played it in nightmare.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.

Cage posted:

The gravel event in 1-3 seems to be a never ending horde now, at least it was the last two times I played it in nightmare.

It's always been an endless horde in nightmare. Pain train is pain.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Oops, did not know! I only started dabbling in nightmare recently.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Cage posted:

Oops, did not know! I only started dabbling in nightmare recently.

Yeah same. I'm learning the hard way where all of the infinite spawns are.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

If you don't ride the ferry on Cabins by the Lake, you get an infinite spawn now. On every difficulty level, I think. Haven't tried it on No Hope.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Bad Seeds (4-1) on Nightmare and No Hope have an infinite horde after breaking the final nest node by the farm. Bring several pipebombs or firecrackers to give you enough space to cross the river and sprint to the exit.

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
There are a bunch of infinite hordes in nightmare but not many are that awful. The gravel horde is the worst and the raft the most annoying but they aren't awful in nightmare.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

It would be nice if they gave you an alert that the horde is an infinite spawn.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

It would be nice if they gave you an alert that the horde is an infinite spawn.

They do

The zombies keep coming

(Couldn’t help myself, sorry)

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

tehinternet posted:

They do

The zombies keep coming

I laughed.

Honestly, I kind of like the game not telling you. When our group first started doing nightmare and we didn't know which hordes were endless, we'd just be mowing down zombies for several minutes before someone asked the question ".....is this horde ever going to stop?"

<pregnant pause>

"...uhh is this an endless horde?"

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Yeah same, basically

I’m torn on it because a lot of people fail to communicate (Discord, private chats, no mic, whatever) and can end up pinned in a corner together. The only way out is a mad dash or coordinated movement together. Which needs communication beyond pings.

On the other hand, it rewards teamwork and makes having a good team that works together super satisfying.

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009
Just installed the game and was playing with friends. Finished Act 1 on veteran [I think] right before the big patch. I can't understand why they got rid of card draw. Like, just ADD the 15 card dump as an option. Just like there's no reason the random card draw isn't an option in the menu. Nightmare was pretty smooth sailing before we took a break.

BonerKid
Jan 3, 2002

Chill

Lucca Blight posted:

Like, just ADD the 15 card dump as an option. Just like there's no reason the random card draw isn't an option in the menu.

The devs have said that they will most likely be adding draw modes as options in the future.

At first I wasn't sure about the 15 card start because I liked how you would slowly improve each map until you had your full build active, but the more I play with the 15 card start the more I like it. The build I'm currently using is extremely good but if I had to draw the cards 1 at a time I would be a burden on my team for at least half of the campaign until my build became active. I feel the 15 card start opens up a lot of builds that otherwise would be extremely boring/useless for the majority of an act.

Edit: I can't find the posts where they mentioned the card draw options, but I believe they were also talking about adding a random draw mode where you have to play with the cards it gives you.

BonerKid fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 19, 2022

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

BonerKid posted:

The devs have said that they will most likely be adding draw modes as options in the future.

At first I wasn't sure about the 15 card start because I liked how you would slowly improve each map until you had your full build active, but the more I play with the 15 card start the more I like it. The build I'm currently using is extremely good but if I had to draw the cards 1 at a time I would be a burden on my team for at least half of the campaign until my build became active. I feel the 15 card start opens up a lot of builds that otherwise would be extremely boring/useless for the majority of an act.

Edit: I can't find the posts where they mentioned the card draw options, but I believe they were also talking about adding a random draw mode where you have to play with the cards it gives you.

A lot of the strategy of using the deck is lost in 15 card draw. Indeed the need for cards goes away completely and the cards might as well just be a perk tree.

There is an argument there that maybe they just should have used a perk tree.

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009
I recall it was mentioned in either the blog post or the steam post. It seems like a relatively simple implementation but I have no actual knowledge on the subject so I'll just bitch on a forum instead.

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
What discord are y'alls groups using? might be good to cross share servers to help expand group finding.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Does the game now give you all your cards at the start of your campaign?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yep. That was added in the June 7th patch.

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
No Hope run done. Act 3 was really the only awful part of it. Of course your team needs to be able to work together. People wanting quick play no hope seems a bit crazy

Also if you want we are on the Marbel Hebrons server https://discord.gg/CWyJ7ZyaxM and more players always welcome

TheJadedOne fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 24, 2022

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

No Hope can also randomly gently caress you with a bad boss for a bad spot since you will always get a boss and sometimes you'll get a Hag immediately after the cornfield which can trap you in the cornfield or a Breaker in some tight area with no room to even try to avoid its jumps but with the right decks, enough teamwork, and some burn cards to spare it wasn't all that bad. Even Act 3 it was only really the start that especially sucked and it seems pipe bombs didn't work at all when you're crossing the lake on the pulley boat? It was weird.

Tallboys, and especially bruisers with their huge health pool, were more dangerous than bosses most of the time

Though if Saferoom Recovery didn't stack now (28 trauma per saferoom, not hives, if everyone has it is huge) I don't think it would be viable at all unless you could spare 2 or 3 Urgent Cares in every level and every time you wiped.

BonerKid
Jan 3, 2002

Chill
We finished No Hope tonight and it was one hell of a slog. (we even managed to got all the hives)

Our first attempt through Act 1 got cut short due to the recent patch which nerfed my melee build, so the next attempt I ran with a Heng accessory build which worked extremely well. I suggest this build for anyone who wants to keep their team overflowing with accessories, although it might not be so great with an un-coordinated team since they need some patience to allow your molotovs and pipe bombs to get kills. Your main weapon is the belgian and you focus on clearing common with it to spawn molotovs which keep the train rolling.

Acts 1 and 2 had some hard levels, but we didn't have too much trouble and I'd even say it was fun at points. I was able to spawn enough accessories with pinata that we always had the supplies we needed and it kept our economy up, I even spawned so much poo poo on the diner holdout that it caused the game to lag out and grabbing accessories took over 20 seconds.

Act 3 however is another story. The first half is extremely not fun with the maps taking us 1+ hour of attempts where we got some of the worst boss spawns possible. The second half wasn't terrible, but the fact we didn't get a single offensive accessory slot until the 3rd last map sucked. Surprisingly we got through body farm and Act 4 on the first attempt.

I feel that with a bit of balancing No Hope could be my preferred difficulty, but it's currently a bit too punishing/stressful to be something I'd want to play regularly. The most annoying difference is that tallboys have double the health from nightmare and can do over 100 damage per swing.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
The game and season pass are in the steam summer sale, convince your friends to buy it

https://store.steampowered.com/app/924970/Back_4_Blood/

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

TheJadedOne posted:

No Hope run done.

BonerKid posted:

We finished No Hope tonight and it was one hell of a slog.

Posting for posterity as the fourth wheel of this No Hope team. :getin:

The banner you unlock for finishing No Hope is pretty gnarly tho

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/back4blood/status/1542916054086815744?t=xmM9MOWgnFu6B9zzPlseGA&s=19

https://twitter.com/back4blood/status/1542191291467014145?t=cissRYI5cc5xyFzGHU_TYQ&s=19

Couple new accessories being teased, presumably for the next update/dlc. They look interesting but I'd have to see them in action. At first blush they don't really sound better than the existing ones, at least for pve. I can see some use in pvp though

I hope they introduce a burn card that allows you to cancel one of the corruption cards, so I can never play with cost of avarice again. Even with the recent changes it's such a bad, lovely card, on a completely different level than any other complaint I have with the game.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

We finally beat act 1 on nightmare (got lucky with pubbies). Still annoyed that tall boys can hit me around blind corners. Still laughing that punching NPCs causes no reaction except for a massive spurt of blood.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

We finally beat act 1 on nightmare (got lucky with pubbies). Still annoyed that tall boys can hit me around blind corners. Still laughing that punching NPCs causes no reaction except for a massive spurt of blood.

I've played a bit of Nightmare with all bots and while I'm not going to say its easier than with people for a bunch of reasons - I've also only really done Act 1 so there's still levels like The Armory, Body Dump, and T5 to get through - but one thing that I can't help but notice is that the bots just aren't taking much damage. Like they'll get directly hit by a retch, walk through the goo, and come out fine. Stand next to an exploder and take no damage when it goes off. Get pinned by a hocker for 5 seconds and lose a sliver of health. They'll hang about surrounded by zombies but barely get scratched. The only thing that seems to consistently damage them is breakers, ogres, and me because they walked in front of my sights again.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

https://twitter.com/back4blood/status/1542916054086815744?t=xmM9MOWgnFu6B9zzPlseGA&s=19

https://twitter.com/back4blood/status/1542191291467014145?t=cissRYI5cc5xyFzGHU_TYQ&s=19

Couple new accessories being teased, presumably for the next update/dlc. They look interesting but I'd have to see them in action. At first blush they don't really sound better than the existing ones, at least for pve. I can see some use in pvp though

I hope they introduce a burn card that allows you to cancel one of the corruption cards, so I can never play with cost of avarice again. Even with the recent changes it's such a bad, lovely card, on a completely different level than any other complaint I have with the game.

Some speculation that's been thrown about the group I play with is that the bear traps at least are going to be an off-set to some kind of barbed wire nerf. Something like giving barbed wire HP so it falls apart once it does a cumulative X damage or that all special zombies won't be affected by it instead of only tallboys. And hopefully the bear traps only trigger on specials.

Smoke bombs seem weird because the only non-specific use I can think for them is getting by the snitchers that go off automatically if they die. And even with those it would only really be for if you have a No Alarms secondary since killing one and then hunkering down for a moment isn't too difficult.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

BonerKid posted:

We finished No Hope tonight and it was one hell of a slog. (we even managed to got all the hives)

Is this graphic from in game? If so where can I see it?

BonerKid
Jan 3, 2002

Chill

Is this graphic from in game? If so where can I see it?

There is no way to see your progress in game, I've been using this site https://b4bstats.mazz.lol/self/

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Nice thanks bro

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Does anyone still play this game? There's a new expansion coming out at the end of the month lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

That’ll be cool. The last expansion added some good stuff and their updates since have largely been Good