Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
My buddy and me are both in for HHL.

I have been really sucking the past few years, but maybe this year will change?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Also, do you have a spreadsheet or something where it shows who is ineligible? I always find it difficult to figure out.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

lol I don't even think I can come up with 4 keepers on this sorry rear end team.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

My keepers

Hart ($2 -> $3)
Raanta ($12 -> $14)
Fiala ($1 -> $2)

I know my friend's keepers, but I will just confirm with him first. He is Michalengelo's McDavids.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I got Barzal in the 10th round of my draft the other day because everyone else assumed he was going to pull a Nylander and hold out, I guess? Feeling pretty smug about that now.

Was this in the Set & Regret league? If so, I specifically did not draft Barzal for this reason.

My friend -- Michalengelo -- is keeping the following

Panarin ($82 -> $98)
Olofsson ($1 -> $2)
Girard ($1 -> $2)
Saros ($1 -> $2)

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I went in with a strategy. Can you guess what it was?

1. (48) Rasmus Dahlin (Buf - D) $31
2. (50) Quinn Hughes (Van - D) $55
3. (53) Kirill Kaprizov (Min - LW) $34
4. (60) Jack Hughes (NJ - C,LW) $31
5. (66) Nikita Kucherov (TB - RW) $23
6. (68) Ilya Sorokin (NYI - G) $29
7. (76) Alexis Lafreniere (NYR - LW) $37
8. (80) Nico Hischier (NJ - C) $25
9. (96) Nick Suzuki (Mon - C,RW) $43
10. (99) Charlie McAvoy (Bos - D) $51
11. (101) Thomas Chabot (Ott - D) $48
12. (108) Adam Fox (NYR - D) $31
13. (112) Tim Stuetzle (Ott - LW) $16
14. (128) Clayton Keller (Ari - LW,RW) $14
15. (144) Quinton Byfield (LA - C) $13
16. (228) Kevin Fiala  (Min - LW,RW) $2
17. (229) Antti Raanta  (Ari - G) $14
18. (230) Carter Hart  (Phi - G) $3

This strategy wasn't foolproof. I had targeted Tkachuk and Dubois, but they went for more than I was expecting. I also paid more for some defenders than I was expecting, but I had already decided on those guys beforehand. Basically, once I missed out on Dubois, I knew who I was targeting, so I decided to outbid everyone on those players.

Kucherov fell into my lap. Unless he just never rebounds, he's probably going to my keeper for the next few seasons. Hope some other guys can make a name for themselves.

I felt like I had to do this because my keeper situation for the past seasons has been dreadful.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 12, 2021

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

fawning deference posted:

Another reminder of my massive gently caress-up. My team with Brady Tkachuk and Marchand on it would be seriously good.

Was Tkachuk only going to cost you $3? Ouch.

You have a good collection of keepers, so it's not the end of the world.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

My favourite moment in the HHL was prior to the 2017 season, when I was getting tired of how slow the draft was going, and gave Corey Perry a bid of $60.

No one else put in a bid, and I realized I made a huge mistake.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think you're probably safe to drop Zegras, and I say that as someone who is a really big fan of Zegras. There are lots of good young players who might be stud keepers that are actually in the NHL already. Just look at all the players who got picked up on waivers today. It doesn't sound like Zegras earned a spot over anyone on their roster in training camp, and while he might get called up eventually, I don't think he's worth holding on to "just in case". If he does get called up maybe reevaluate then.

Honestly every year I get excited about someone who had a big world juniors and add them to my roster with the intention to keep and none of them have panned out. I think the last time I did it was Troy Terry.

Yeah, the thing with the HHL, you need to balance a player's performance in the present with their future performance. Like, if a player doesn't play this year, or he performs poorly, then there's really no reason to keep him next year no matter how cheap he is.

CocoaNuts posted:

Would you drop Ilya Mikheyev for Nils Hoglander in terms of goals/assists/points/shots?

Mikheyev is likely the weakest offensive player I have on my fantasy team.

As a Leafs fan, I would. Mikheyev doesn't have a high ceiling, and doesn't really bring you any other stats other than a potential 40 points. At least Hoglander has the prospect sheen.

e: Even if Hoglander blows, you will be able to easily replace Mikheyev's production on the waiver wire.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 15, 2021

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

2 games in and drafting Jack Hughes is making me look like a genius.

Then again, I spent my remaining $13 on Byfield and he is in the AHL.

Also, realized earlier today that I drafted the past 4 1st overall picks in the HHL.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Arabian Jesus posted:

Did anybody else draft Malkin :smith:

I realize he's in his age-34 season, but you gotta think he's going to pick it up, right?

...right?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

fancy stats posted:

I am beginning to think that more goaltending may not be the same thing as good goaltending.

One of the major shifts in my draft strategy in recent years has been to target good goaltending early. I used to do the extreme, hope for the best and grab the scraps in the 15th round, and then wonder I am trolling the waiver wire to see which back-up gets more than 1 game every week or two.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Speaking as a non-Malkin owner, I would probably try to trade for him if I knew someone wanted to. He feels like a good buy-low candidate. I haven't watched any Pittsburgh games this year, but I have a hard time believing that he's completely washed. Like, other 34-year olds, yeah. But, I still have faith in Malkin.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I am concerned about Benn moving forward, because he's at an age where guys break down. He has 7 points in 10 games this year, but 5 of those points were in 2 games. He was one of the best players in the league, but he's been on a downward trend for the past 2 seasons, and I am unsure if he's going to change that.

It's worth a shot, depending on who you'd have to drop, but I don't expect much from him moving forward.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

My all young player team is starting to look like it's paying off. In recent weeks, Drake Batherson, Necas, and Stuetzle are starting to heat up. Also, Sorokin may start getting more time now that he has had two shutouts in his last two starts.

Still can't believe Lafreniere is drop-worthy.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Deciding to throw this year, and focus on young guys who could be cheap keepers didn't work out exactly as I had expected. I did draft some decent players, but no one really set the world on fire. Looking towards next year, I think my keepers are going to be:

(this year's cost in brackets)

Nikita Kucherov ($23)
Adam Fox ($31)
Ilya Sorokin ($29)
Martin Necas ($1)
Kirill Kaprizov ($34)
Drake Batherson ($1)

I am leaning towards the top 3 guys (obviously Kucherov is the only sure thing at this point), and while I really like Kaprizov, getting Necas for $1 may be a better deal.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I would keep both Kaprizov and Necas and drop Sorokin. Varlamov is still going to be The Guy as long as he's playing like he is and on a contract with the Islanders. Using a keeper slot on a backup goalie, even a super promising one, seems like a waste to me.

I kept Demko last year for the very same reasons but Vancouver's situation was/is a little different.

You are not wrong. I think I decided it without thinking that hard about it. Yeah, I am unsure how much time Sorokin will actually get, no matter how well he does. Also, I have Carter Hart, who I think I have for one more year for super cheap, but I can't even justify that.

Also, oddly, I didn't realize Necas was nearly a PPG player. I knew his point totals, but didn't see how many games he had played. I think him and Kaprizov have to both be must keeps.

Thanks for the help.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I think both guys are roughly equal in value with those categories. Is it a keeper? Comes down to preference. Makar is the bigger name, but Girard is no slouch.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm Carolina-era Jim Rutherford. I won the championship in the first HHL season but I think since then I've been lovely more often than not.

I'm like the Devils. My first four years, I was a powerhouse. I finished 3rd, 5th, 1st, and then 4th, and then have followed that up with 6 terrible years. I have made the playoffs once in those 6 years. No one really remembers that I was a contender.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Ginette Reno posted:

This year I was like I'm gonna get goaltending for real and make sure I have a solid set of goalies. And then I had like Carter Hart and injured Tuukka Rask

I thought I was set in net for the next year or two because I had Hart as a cheap keeper.

fawning deference posted:

I think my keepers next year are going to be Tolvanen, Devon Toews, Toffoli, and Shesterkin, all for something like $18. Fine with that.

I am closing in on going to the championship round, I hope!

Yeah, for that price, it gives you great flexibility when filling out your roster.

To be honest, I am surprised at this year's turn of events where Toffoli can be considered keepable.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I'm gonna keep Pastrnak, Boeser, Robertson, and then I'm not sure who to use my 4th on. Demko for one more year might be a steal. I have several cheap young defensemen as well in Dobson, T. Smith, and Drysdale.

In this league, I always favour taking goalies, just because it seems so hard/expensive to get them in the draft. Especially when it's $3 next season.

However, I am surprised you aren't keeping Tarasenko. That's a really good price for him next season. But I guess it's because he hasn't played much over the past two seasons, and he is also going into his age-30 season.