Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

BrigadierSensible posted:

If I may, I'd like to ask for stories/information/reflections of a piece of Americana that has not been fully realized in this thread: breastaurants.

There is a crazy amount of bikini coffee stands where I live. Some of them are in pretty much the same location. It's nuts that they can all stay in business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ah, the old shark n shart

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

BrigadierSensible posted:

If I may, I'd like to ask for stories/information/reflections of a piece of Americana that has not been fully realized in this thread: breastaurants.

Hooters is the big famous one. And to a younger me, they embodied all I needed to know about America. Boobs, bimbos, beer all in a franchise level of mass produced tackiness sports bar setting. If I am in a city that has a Hooters, I make a point of visiting at least once. So far I have visited Hooters in America, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Australia, and Korea.

Yes, I know the disappointment that is an actual Hooters. Overpriced mediocre chicken, and pisswater beer in big glass mugs served to you by a young girl who is being actively exploited by her employer, and is forced to performatively flirt with middle aged losers who creepily ogle her in a work uniform that is designed to be uncomfortable. When I was in America years ago, I spoke to a Hooters waitress in Dallas who told me that they get paid as little as $2 an hour, so the HAVE to work for tips and do the "present boobs and giggle" otherwise they don't earn enough to eat.

Anyway, I know that Hooters is now not the only brand that does restaurants like this, and also that (I assume), it is an America only phenomenon. So I was wondering if there are people who have worked there, or frequent places like this regularly, and would have Americana style stories of and information about them.

I have a coworker who wants us to go to these places whenever we travel together. Twin Peaks is the other one that I see but mostly, Hooters.

It's exactly what you expect. The food is eh, the drinks are eh, and the waitresses vary. I honestly prefer the ones who seem checked out to the ones who are really giving it their all - I don't need the waitress to actually climb in to my booth tits-first to ask me what I want to order.

I did enjoy it when the same coworker, a Buccaneers fanatic, saw our waitress was wearing a Bucs shirt (this was at some other non Hooters place), and tried to talk to her about it. And she just looked down and was like "oh yeah, I have to wear this" lmao

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Aardvark! posted:

Twin Peaks

went to one once just to eat some burgers, the food was comically over salted, just awful tbh.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
a misogynistic flop was here

zedprime fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 26, 2021

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Classy, dude.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

zedprime posted:

Forgot this was a part of the experience until you reminded me. Best experienced when a waitress has graduated to BWW because of age or skill but still uses the breastaurant playbook for a bunch of distracted multigender business lunch folks.

what

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It's to pander for boomer customers and their kids that think like them. Seriously. That's the bulk of the market. There's a small base of women customers that eat at Hooters to avoid being stared down by creepy guys at Applebees, and they tip their servers typically very well.

I cooked at a Hooters for a while, the kitchen is full of men. The back of house is run like any other chain restaurant. The food is from Sysco or another equally generic service that brings Tyson wings, and the rest of the food. Wages for servers are lower because they're expected to earn tips. I think I was making $11/hr to cook at the time, but that was going on a decade ago. My first shift was during a bikini/swimsuit event, it was packed with assholes.

I would specifically avoid the oysters in land locked state restaurants. There's no reason a Hooters in South Dakota or wherever should be serving them (I was in a Memphis area store and the oysters were always turning the day after delivery). Typically everything else is fine because it can be frozen, like crab legs.

It's a lovely business but it works. Twin Peaks is another similar chain. It's basically Applebees or TGI Fridays food and tits. There will always be an audience for breastaurants, because boomerism is a brain cycle for too many people, but there are always people willing to deal with the bullshit for tips, which can be quite large, but are often not. Also, the women at Hooters just destroy the bathroom daily. Mens room would routinely be a two minute clean, the ladies always looked like someone threw a party inside with all their gross friends.

I had been working in bar kitchens for years by that point, so I was rather desensitized to their practices before starting there. It's not the worst place for a guy to work in a kitchen after a divorce, but it's a terrible environment for women who serve. I haven't eaten in a Hooters since I quit.

Also Adam Sandler is obsessed with Hooters. Seriously.

Did anyone ever order the wings and bottle of Dom for $100?

Add Tilted Kilt to the list of Breastaurants. I ended up at one on a business trip to Chicago and had no idea what it was. The guys I was with were very excited to go, but I thought maybe the food was really, really good. Nope. Just a half naked wait staff fake smiling their way through serving horny business men pitches of Bud Light.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Goddamn you guys, why is there such STIGMA about BANGING the waitress. She HAS DESIRES! :crossarms:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
a misogynistic flop was here

zedprime fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 26, 2021

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

zedprime posted:

Forgot this was a part of the experience until you reminded me. Best experienced when a waitress has graduated to BWW because of age or skill but still uses the breastaurant playbook for a bunch of distracted multigender business lunch folks.

Seriously this is one of the most unironically mysogenistic things I've read in GBS in a good while.

"When a chicks tits get too flappy for Hooters but she still tries showing off? 'Heeey lady, I go to the strip club as a joke AFTER work. This is a Buffalo Wild Wings here, and this is a Business Lunch! My clients, Eddie and Vanessa, are lookin' at buying an RV ain't we folks!, And we don't need any of that now!'"

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Aardvark! posted:

my imgur uploads are refreshed so here's the food from that place

This is rad!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Bonzo posted:

Did anyone ever order the wings and bottle of Dom for $100?

Cooks don't see drink orders at all. Because cooks generally don't have serving licenses, or have time for poo poo that already has someone for that job, called a bartender. We would only see food tickets.

Restaurant POS systems will send the drink order to the bartender, the food order to the kitchen. The cook is not yelling or passing drink orders every time some shitheel wants a bud light.

I briefly remembered Tilted Kilt was a thing, but the local one shut down during covid so I was optimistic they all might have went away.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Big Beef City posted:

Seriously this is one of the most unironically mysogenistic things I've read in GBS in a good while.

"When a chicks tits get too flappy for Hooters but she still tries showing off? 'Heeey lady, I go to the strip club as a joke AFTER work. This is a Buffalo Wild Wings here, and this is a Business Lunch! My clients, Eddie and Vanessa, are lookin' at buying an RV ain't we folks!, And we don't need any of that now!'"
I try to be better every day so I've edited out what was clearly a bad angle to take. I'm not the one making hiring decisions at breasturants and casual dining restaurants or the one training their waitresses to get into your booth and lean across the the table while taking your order and I would prefer none of the above was happening which wasn't clear from the way I treated the scenario in a post.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

redgubbinz posted:

I'm enjoying the posts, keep em coming but only if you want to of course!

Perry County, Ohio population 36,058

East south east of Columbus, but far enough
away to not be part of the metropolitan area.

There's a state forest here

But ultimately, it's still Ohio.

Bonus video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1trfRyXK8LI

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
gonna need more ##s / specific or even vague county requests soon goons. im gonna do the funny numbers after the outstanding requests :q:

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Aardvark! posted:

gonna need more ##s / specific or even vague county requests soon goons. im gonna do the funny numbers after the outstanding requests :q:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Aardvark! posted:

I'd like to see weird Louisiana and Mississippi stuff

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

Bonzo posted:

Add Tilted Kilt to the list of Breastaurants. I ended up at one on a business trip to Chicago and had no idea what it was. The guys I was with were very excited to go, but I thought maybe the food was really, really good. Nope. Just a half naked wait staff fake smiling their way through serving horny business men pitches of Bud Light.

There was a Tilted Kilt near me and I never went, so for the longest time I thought it was a gay bar. Like, a version of Hooters where they hired hairy muscular guys in short kilts to serve the customers. I was disappointed to learn the truth.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

EoinCannon posted:

I love these zip code travelogues, I love seeing the banality of everyday life in other countries
It's a bit like that old thread 'tell me why where you live sucks' which was fantastic

So this is something I've been waiting for, a Wisconsin county. I expect a lot of Opinions from certain posters.

Eau Claire County, Wisconsin - population 98,736

im just gonna focus on the part of the county that isn't Eau Claire for now. Wisconsinites plz fill me in on your thoughts on that city before i dive in

anyway check out this beaver's big rear end joint!!!!

im so jealous of the nickname "Gup"

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 26, 2021

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
wait a minute why do the signs all say Tep's and the menus Gup's

:crossarms:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Lmao there is much Gup's content on Facebook

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tf a longburger?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

e: ^^^ Look up. ^^^

Wisconsin easily wins yet again. No surprise there.

Well laid out menu, excellent looking fries, happy dogs, look it's no surprise people we all knew it was coming. :smug:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'll allow it

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

my dog died im sad posted:

There is a crazy amount of bikini coffee stands where I live. Some of them are in pretty much the same location. It's nuts that they can all stay in business.

I guess the sad two that were attempted around here were put out of business by the hundred miles of beach five minutes away. Creeps don’t need to buy a 4 dollar medium coffee.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Can I straight up ask for Yuba County, California?

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

My god

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Can I straight up ask for Yuba County, California?

yeah np. there are 3100 of these so i have no compunctions about selecting them non-randomly or anything.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
A local restaurant (in Canada) has longburgers, but calls them "Texas Style" burgers.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Aroostook, ME
Jefferson County, NY

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
In that case, Cecil County, Maryland, please.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Really want to eat at gups after I saw the memes

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Really want to eat at gups after I saw the memes

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I'd like to request Yuma, AZ.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Bonzo posted:

I'd like to request Yuma AZ be designated uninhabitable

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Bonzo posted:

A little west of Yuma there was (probably still is) a gas station with a bunch of signs that say something like, "LAST CHEAP GAS BEFORE CALIFORNIA! FREE FOUNTAIN DRINK WITH FILL UP!"

I stopped there once and the gas was massively overpriced and there was a rusty nail in my fountain drink. I didn't notice until I ran out of soda and took the lid off to crunch on some ice.

Luckily I looked in the cup first and didn't just pour a mouthful of ice into my mouth and start crunching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I could go some Gups