Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

bellows lugosi posted:

by gorsh if you're lucky you might get to bump arms with dick cheney

nearby is the moulton barn, photograph (not mine) accompanied with a passage from the great book "white noise" by don delilo

Getting some real American Gods vibes from that passage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

In your fanfic, why is he turning his torso 180 degrees to greet you? Is he caught in the act of irinating on a wall, and his wry smile is actually a grimace of embarassment?

He angles his verdant tube in such a way that the afternoon sun catches the salty sheen, casting a brilliant kaleidescope and illuminating the motes of dust kicked up by his dong water cascading against the wall. In a breathless dazzle I let a slight gasp escape my piehole. The pickle man let's out a low whistle as he rotates his cucumbrian body slowly very slowly 180 degrees though his feet never move.

His glassy eyes dart to mine and in them I see nothing, no surprise at my intrusion nor anger at my continued presence. His blank eyes flick brief downwards and my gaze follows. Chilling terror turns to warm gratitude as one white gloved hand travels the length of his tumescent torso. A thin-lipped smile slides across his face as the stream of pickle juice resumes and a shudder ripples down my butt.

"Dill me up against a wall" I don't know who said it, but that's all we needed before...

Please buy the rest on the kindle store if interested.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Pounded in the Dill Hole by The Pickle Man and Brined by his Cucumber Member

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

English Coastal Cheddar Panini tells me this place sources its cheese from Costco :shobon:

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Aardvark, would you please give me a little background on why you've been to these places? Sense of adventure or career reasons? I'm sure I missed it in the thread, but I'm finally caught up. I love stopping in poo poo towns, but sadly I've never been west of Chicago, really. I'll probably never end up leaving the country, but I really want to travel around and see what I can of this one, especially now that I have a job that provides me with 20 days of vacation after the first year. And thanks so much for your contributions to SA, this poo poo keeps me coming back.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

Since I had to find it:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

interwhat posted:

Aardvark, would you please give me a little background on why you've been to these places? Sense of adventure or career reasons? I'm sure I missed it in the thread, but I'm finally caught up. I love stopping in poo poo towns, but sadly I've never been west of Chicago, really. I'll probably never end up leaving the country, but I really want to travel around and see what I can of this one, especially now that I have a job that provides me with 20 days of vacation after the first year. And thanks so much for your contributions to SA, this poo poo keeps me coming back.

Lmao, I haven't been to most of these places. I just explore via Google Maps and collect/curate publicly posted photography.

My family moved a lot cross country growing up, and all the time we spent on the road is where my interest in this stuff comes from, though.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Greatest Living Man posted:

Since I had to find it:

:piss:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

"Eeeyyy I'm mangin' on my dago dog 'ere, Pauly!"
"Ooo!! Eeeey! Sorry Frankie I was listenin' to my WopMan 'ere and jivin' around like a brother WOWIE! SHAZAM! You know whaddamean?!"
"Fuggettaboutit!"
"Eyy yousa fuggettaboutit!"
"We BOTH Forgottaboutit!"
(together) "It'sa DAGO Dog! Eat 'em!"

At your local delicatessen

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Creek County, Oklahoma population 71,522

• Suburb southwest of Tulsa
  • the county is kind of shaped like Minnesota

The food gets to be a surprise because for the first time ever, I ran out of Imgur upload tokens on the Android app. (50/day, sometimes times out and loses one)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

well this is delightful

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I bet if you cram a duck into that duck slide mid August by the time it slides out it'll be roasted to perfection.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I can't tell if I'm supposed to eat there or if I'm processing about to be booked.

zedprime posted:

I bet if you cram a duck into that duck slide mid August by the time it slides out it'll be roasted to perfection.

That was my FIRST thought (well not the duck part) but looking closer I THINK the bird 'body' is just wood slats painted a silver'ish color, so it's probably ok and not just a shining tin oven for children to offer Baal.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

The Bloop posted:

well this is delightful

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

That's actually exactly what I picture Mozi looks like for some reason and I have no idea why

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

this guy owns a piano store in a town with a population of under 1k btw

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

Since I had to find it:

thanks, I'm bad at phone posting.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Aardvark! posted:

Lmao, I haven't been to most of these places. I just explore via Google Maps and collect/curate publicly posted photography.

My family moved a lot cross country growing up, and all the time we spent on the road is where my interest in this stuff comes from, though.

On this episode of Dives, Dives, and Dives...

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Major Danny McBride vibes

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Big Beef City posted:

That's actually exactly what I picture Mozi looks like for some reason and I have no idea why

i empathize strongly with his vibe

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Aardvark! posted:

this guy owns a piano store in a town with a population of under 1k btw

There was a weird piano store in my neighborhood. Piano store isn't the weird part, it's just that my neighborhood is a tiny exclave of the main city isolated between the ocean and the industrial district of town. There is no reason to come here unless you live here. There are cheaper places to have a store like that that are in much higher traffic areas that you don't have to cross a massive bridge over trainyards and shipping depots to get to. I really think the piano store was a money laundering operation or drug/criminal enterprise front of some kind, because the dude was always there, 6 days a week for 6-10 hours. This place existed for like 20 years before dude died or whatever.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

spookykid posted:

There was a weird piano store in my neighborhood. Piano store isn't the weird part, it's just that my neighborhood is a tiny exclave of the main city isolated between the ocean and the industrial district of town. There is no reason to come here unless you live here. There are cheaper places to have a store like that that are in much higher traffic areas that you don't have to cross a massive bridge over trainyards and shipping depots to get to. I really think the piano store was a money laundering operation or drug/criminal enterprise front of some kind, because the dude was always there, 6 days a week for 6-10 hours. This place existed for like 20 years before dude died or whatever.

Go in and ask for some "keys" and see what they bring out from the back. also bring like $20k just in case they bring the right kind.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

interwhat posted:

I like to think of Aardvark just traveling around, righting wrongs and eating at lovely diners all around the country. Like Michael Landon in Highway to Heaven, but better.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

quote:

Please tell me you ordered the "Pipe Cleaner" and are to report on the experience

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Since I had to find it:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/JoshLipnik/status/1408603489589248000?s=20

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

If I may, I'd like to ask for stories/information/reflections of a piece of Americana that has not been fully realized in this thread: breastaurants.

Hooters is the big famous one. And to a younger me, they embodied all I needed to know about America. Boobs, bimbos, beer all in a franchise level of mass produced tackiness sports bar setting. If I am in a city that has a Hooters, I make a point of visiting at least once. So far I have visited Hooters in America, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Australia, and Korea.

Yes, I know the disappointment that is an actual Hooters. Overpriced mediocre chicken, and pisswater beer in big glass mugs served to you by a young girl who is being actively exploited by her employer, and is forced to performatively flirt with middle aged losers who creepily ogle her in a work uniform that is designed to be uncomfortable. When I was in America years ago, I spoke to a Hooters waitress in Dallas who told me that they get paid as little as $2 an hour, so the HAVE to work for tips and do the "present boobs and giggle" otherwise they don't earn enough to eat.

Anyway, I know that Hooters is now not the only brand that does restaurants like this, and also that (I assume), it is an America only phenomenon. So I was wondering if there are people who have worked there, or frequent places like this regularly, and would have Americana style stories of and information about them.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Redneck Heaven in Texas is so much worse than Hooters.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Aardvark! posted:

• Suburb southwest of Tulsa
  • the county is kind of shaped like Minnesota

The food gets to be a surprise because for the first time ever, I ran out of Imgur upload tokens on the Android app. (50/day, sometimes times out and loses one)

That's def some photos of Oklahoma, I tell ya what.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv9u7-RmFlQ

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Big Beef City posted:

"Eeeyyy I'm mangin' on my dago dog 'ere, Pauly!"
"Ooo!! Eeeey! Sorry Frankie I was listenin' to my WopMan 'ere and jivin' around like a brother WOWIE! SHAZAM! You know whaddamean?!"
"Fuggettaboutit!"
"Eyy yousa fuggettaboutit!"
"We BOTH Forgottaboutit!"
(together) "It'sa DAGO Dog! Eat 'em!"

At your local delicatessen

ask for it wit gabbagool

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The Bloop posted:

well this is delightful

Yeah it's kinda loving great 3 seasons of the year. Or maybe 2. Half the year it's probably great

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp
Why is it that the brown food emporiums never seem to have windows? Is that what makes the people sad?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

BrigadierSensible posted:

Anyway, I know that Hooters is now not the only brand that does restaurants like this, and also that (I assume), it is an America only phenomenon. So I was wondering if there are people who have worked there, or frequent places like this regularly, and would have Americana style stories of and information about them.

It's to pander for boomer customers and their kids that think like them. Seriously. That's the bulk of the market. There's a small base of women customers that eat at Hooters to avoid being stared down by creepy guys at Applebees, and they tip their servers typically very well.

I cooked at a Hooters for a while, the kitchen is full of men. The back of house is run like any other chain restaurant. The food is from Sysco or another equally generic service that brings Tyson wings, and the rest of the food. Wages for servers are lower because they're expected to earn tips. I think I was making $11/hr to cook at the time, but that was going on a decade ago. My first shift was during a bikini/swimsuit event, it was packed with assholes.

I would specifically avoid the oysters in land locked state restaurants. There's no reason a Hooters in South Dakota or wherever should be serving them (I was in a Memphis area store and the oysters were always turning the day after delivery). Typically everything else is fine because it can be frozen, like crab legs.

It's a lovely business but it works. Twin Peaks is another similar chain. It's basically Applebees or TGI Fridays food and tits. There will always be an audience for breastaurants, because boomerism is a brain cycle for too many people, but there are always people willing to deal with the bullshit for tips, which can be quite large, but are often not. Also, the women at Hooters just destroy the bathroom daily. Mens room would routinely be a two minute clean, the ladies always looked like someone threw a party inside with all their gross friends.

I had been working in bar kitchens for years by that point, so I was rather desensitized to their practices before starting there. It's not the worst place for a guy to work in a kitchen after a divorce, but it's a terrible environment for women who serve. I haven't eaten in a Hooters since I quit.

Also Adam Sandler is obsessed with Hooters. Seriously.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Niagara Falls the natural spectacle is cool as poo poo but yeah it’s ruined by the tourist bullshit. Also the surrounding towns are dumps.

When I went it was the fact that the river downstream was literally foaming with toxic waste and we’d just had that sprayed on us as we rode on the “Lady of the Lake” that put me off

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

BrigadierSensible posted:

When I was in America years ago, I spoke to a Hooters waitress in Dallas who told me that they get paid as little as $2 an hour, so the HAVE to work for tips and do the "present boobs and giggle" otherwise they don't earn enough to eat.

In 17 states, the minimum wage for tipped employees is effectively $2.13 (this is the Federal minimum). Not all restaurants in those states pay just the minimum, but the majority do.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

smellmycheese posted:

When I went it was the fact that the river downstream was literally foaming with toxic waste and we’d just had that sprayed on us as we rode on the “Lady of the Lake” that put me off

Typically (most of) the toxic waste comes from down stream of the falls. NF NY is known however, for just blatantly pumping raw sewage in to the lower river as well. There was some big controversies a few years back about giant plumes of brown going in to the river and probably some bad smells too.
At least on the Canadian side we're much more discrete about our sewage.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Aardvark! posted:

my imgur uploads are refreshed so here's the food from that place

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Catfished again, thanks Durgesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

A few pages back, but my high school does this too. Though not as far back as 1920.