Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Just throw the flag in the trash, who gives a gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Bismuth posted:

Living in a small town just makes you weird. I grew up in a town of 0.6sq/mi and decided I was never leaving, to the point that when I finally moved out of my parents house it was just right across the train tracks. McMinnville was a city to me, and to go to Salem for the mall once every couple months was a big deal that the family did together. Turkey-rama and the Carlton Fun Days were like, the heights of my year.

Now that I've lived in portland for a few years I look back at that behavior like what the gently caress was up with that. Small town people arent inherently weird, hateful, or inbred you just become weird by living in that kind of environment, and can be healed by leaving at an early enough age. I wish colleges had some special fund for people from towns of under 1sq/mi, might help bring a little more worldliness into them

I have five (!) brothers and one sister who all still live in the vicinity of the town we grew up in, none of them show any interest in leaving whatsoever.

One of them was all hopped up last year on talking about a concert they drove three hours to in Philadelphia and how cool it was. I told him to imagine walking out his office door and being able to go to that concert, then getting on a train afterwards and being home twenty minutes later, and he still doesn't get it.

I threw all my poo poo in my car when I was 19 and moved and i was the best thing I could have done for myself.

Apr 7, 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

50 story soulless concrete apartments

Apr 7, 2003

I tried to watch the Carpetbagger guy on YouTube and he’s completely intolerable

Apr 7, 2003

Outrail posted:

American: How to gently caress can anyone live 20 miles from the nearest store? How could you possibly attain the necessary supplies to sustain a life?

Also American: Welp, time for my daily 2 hour commute to the office.

Yeah I get it too, I live in a small but it's a holiday destination so we have two supermarkets and all the usual stuff. But living in some two house town with nothing but sketchy hillbilly neighbours is a step I'm probably not willing to take just yet.

My dad's family moved to a place in north central PA back in the early seventies from north New Jersey after school desegregation (:thunk:).

It got so cold in the winter there that you had to take your car battery inside with you, there were zero public services except sketchy telephone that didn't work half the time even in the nineties, and the nearest grocery store was nearly an hour one way. When winter came you didn't go anywhere for long periods of time.

Great place to land a 15 year old who was used to the New York City suburbs.

Apr 7, 2003

colonelwest posted:

I grew up in Pennsylvania and out of the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic states I think it has the most stark urban/rural divide. Pittsburg and Philadelphia are completely different worlds compared to the middle/North of the state. It gets rednecky out there in a weird and depressing way.

There is a larger portion of depressed and hollowed out former industrial and mining towns, compared to say central Virginia which has a lot of really nice small towns that are still vibrant. There are places like Ashland that are almost lost in time.

I grew up right up the road from Ashland on Rt. 61 and that entire area is a hole. Anyone who wants better out of life than that area can provide ends up moving and what's left are people who genuinely like wallowing in the poo poo that those areas represent. It's a self-reinforcing downward spiral.

I still have a lot of family in that area but they're mostly younger and grew up in the internet area where you can shut out the world beyond your front door much more easily than I could in the nineties.

Apr 7, 2003

Arven posted:

I grew up and still live in PA, and this is all of PA outside of Pittsburgh and Philadelphia or one of their suburbs now. I went to highschool in suburb and my peers were all more or less left-leaning liberal kids. My wife went to a highschool 15 minutes away over the county line, and her school had the exact "performative rurual" thing you're talking about. Kids wore cowboy boots to school, everyone drives a shitter lifted truck with confederate flags, country music is the only music played at school dances, and the amount of kids who die in drunk driving accidents is was in the double digits by graduation was in double digits even though her class had less than 200 kids.

If you drive through the area now they're still all flying trump flags on their flagpoles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eIntnHarCg

This is not satire, it was an actual hit song.

Apr 7, 2003

wilderthanmild posted:

My MiL basically said this to me once.

I've known several people who flat out refuse to use theirs, some even try to support it like you need to outsmart other drivers on the road. Like I've seen people who seem to speed up if I put my blinker on, but it's not like I need to loving make surprise moves on the highway.

Driving is a competition like everything else and everyone on the road is your enemy.

Lead hosed up so many brains in this country.

Apr 7, 2003

My wife's hometown is great for the google maps restaurant touring stuff

On the way in you can enjoy this old abandoned cafe where someone broke the sign so it looks like it says "fuckin' chicken"

Apr 7, 2003

Gentle Autist posted:

processes everything, slathers it in sugary sauce - ah yes, delicous

"Processed" is a meaningless scare word in the context of food, it's all processed.

Apr 7, 2003

Capt.Whorebags posted:

On this, I haven’t seen lamb/mutton feature in USA cooking. Is it not really a thing there?

I've never eaten it in my life

Apr 7, 2003

I've had goat at Caribbean places

Apr 7, 2003

Remulak posted:

Straightup Angostura is the the greatest hangover cure, it's either get a hair-of-the-dog going or you puke out the bad stuff.

Fernet is good but Malort is god.

I haven't puked from drinking since 2005

It doesn't mean that I haven't consumed any bad stuff

Apr 7, 2003

Tarkus posted:

At that time everyone* wore a suit/dress when going out anywhere. Tiki bar wasn't an exception.

* people with money who were going to be in publicity photos, which that clearly is.

Everyone wasn't wandering around in a suit all the time in the fifties, no more than everyone in victorian England wore a top hat and coat tails all the time. The higher strata of society who were more likely to have their picture taken did.

Apr 7, 2003

1913, but still

Apr 7, 2003

Tarkus posted:

Those people pictured are not a higher strata of people, probably just middle class, the suits aren't even that nice. If you went to a restaurant with your wife you wore a suit. Most men wore suits and hats except in certain situations.

It's a publicity photo, every single thing in that photograph is staged. It isn't really going to be a suitable example of what every day life was back then, anymore than commercials where everyone has a 700 sq ft kitchen with three sinks are an indicator of how people live now.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 12, 2021

Apr 7, 2003

zedprime posted:

There were a lot more restaurants back in the day that wouldn't sit you if you weren't in a coat.

Going out to eat was a special occasion, sit-down casual has really only been a thing from the eighties on.

https://restaurant-ingthroughhistory.com

This is a great blog about restaurant culture in the US from the nineteenth century on. Worth reading through.

Apr 7, 2003

John Tuturro was 41 when this was filmed

Apr 7, 2003

spookykid posted:

Ew. That sort of garbage probably doesn't belong in this thread.

John Tuturro is an American icon.

Apr 7, 2003

America has some excellent biking infrastructure, this is from the Ghost Town Trail in western Pennsylvania.

Apr 7, 2003

Code Jockey posted:

hulk_hogan_restaurant_dresscode.jpg

e. in case anyone hasn't seen it

Where's this from? i'm getting strong Florida vibes

Apr 7, 2003

Gulf coast Florida is beautiful. One of the greatest days of my life involved wandering the Anna Maria Island beaches while the sun went down and I can't adequately communicate how fantastic it was.

The gulf coast is full of horrendous human beings who are forthright in being horrendous human beings and even with that in mind you want to keep going back to the gulf coast.

Apr 7, 2003

Clearwater is literally a Scientologist colony

I went there for a Wayne Newton show (lol) and it was bizarrely empty except for guys in scientologist uniforms patrolling the streets.

Apr 7, 2003

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

how the gently caress do you even make a "vegan" "cheesesteak" without exhausting the world's supply of quotation marks

There's decent plant protein that apes beef iirc, like the Butler Foods soy curl stuff.

Speaking as someone who hasn't been cooking meat at home for years now, it's probably best to just learn to enjoy plant base foods on their own instead of trying to chase meat analogues.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Apr 7, 2003

Cincinnati chili is garbage

Apr 7, 2003

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Every time I take a trip to Ohio, I'll eat at a Skyline Chili and instantly both enjoy it and regret it.

I got thrown out of a baseball game in Cincinnati and went to White Castle instead

Apr 7, 2003

If you like lovely seafood, Pittsburgh has the Original Oyster House, which has been in the same spot since 1870. The food is not good, but the building is something else.

they serve everything on paper plates and the raw oysters come out in little plastic cups in a sea of hot sauce.

Apr 7, 2003

The Bloop posted:

I did some work in both Fall River and New Bedford and I'd choose Fall River any time

My last factory job was making plastic bags and it was a minimum of a hundred degrees for 12 hour shifts. Some shifts boring as hell, some busting your rear end.

I feel really bad for people with no escape from that life

Everyone's horny as hell for getting factory jobs back, when factory jobs actually suck real bad and there's nothing left to guarantee that they're decently paid at all anymore.

Same deal with coal mining in the part of PA I grew up in. The mines closed around the time WWII ended, but everyone's sitting by great grandpa's boots waiting for that mine to reopen.

Apr 7, 2003

A Tacoma, shameful.

Apr 7, 2003

Freddy Mercury faked his death, fled to small town America, and got fat.

Apr 7, 2003

SirPablo posted:

I wasn't sure. I know how huge swaths of America loving love mayo.

Mayonnaise is a french mother sauce and hence very sophisticated,

Apr 7, 2003

CPL593H posted:

Dolly Parton is pretty progressive and Loretta Lynn is a Trump supporter.

Loretta Lynn's entire life is defined by an abusive relationship with an older man that started when she was fifteen, she's just going for what she knows.

Apr 7, 2003

spookykid posted:

That is a shotgun boobytrap pointed directly at the side entrance you can see in the first pic over by the "ICE!" freezer. If I had to hazard a guess, they've had people break in multiple times via that entrance and not the front for some reason.

And they have now constructed a very illegal booby trap.

they're gonna murder grandma lol

Apr 7, 2003

LifeSunDeath posted:

Coke II and New Coke both sucked.

Coke II and New Coke were just a way to weasel HFCS into the Classic Coke formula.

Apr 7, 2003

LifeSunDeath posted:

Ate at CB for first time about 4 years ago. It was awful, I told them manager the food was awful but also declined a refund, explained I just wanted to see how bad it was myself. That giftshop situation is pure hell. Saw many single old men in there looking sad and loving bad cornbread muffins. It's pure trash.

Once I was in the gift area at the CB waiting to pay for my meal and it smelled like the urinals in the men’s room were backed up, I kept looking over and wondering if they were going to get someone to fix it.

Eventually figured out that it was another patron i was smelling. can’t think of CB without wanting to gag anymore.

Apr 7, 2003

The food was fine, besides the pee person.

Apr 7, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Oh yeah. My American coworker took me to one when I was visiting a few years ago. I guess it was the most "American" thing he could find short of McDonald's. I had a steak, it was ok. But overall the place felt fake AF somehow.

That's everything in the US, our culture is largely astroturfed.

Apr 7, 2003

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Except for reveal parties, those are total Americana. Especially the dog gender / breed reveal parties. :woof:
https://be.chewy.com/how-to-throw-a-dog-breed-reveal-party/

Apr 7, 2003

Outrail posted:

It's mostly a game management thing. If people could make money selling game meat a lot of game species would be functionally extinct in about 12 months. A lot of states don't have bag limits but there is a limit to the amount of meat you can stuff in a freezer, letting people sell it would turn into a nightmare of poaching and quasi-legal sales.

When I worked in utility construction I had a coworker who would take off three weeks around deer season because he inherited a butcher shop from his dad that did nothing but game deer, and he would make enough money during those three weeks to take two hunting trips a year + two nascar race trips.

He took that poo poo off even if he didn't have paid vacation time because it was so lucrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

LifeSunDeath posted:

Yes but also detroit went through some major financial poo poo as well as corruption poo poo that just left it in ruins.

I love thinking about major cities from the ancient past that are ruined...Like I wish I could go back and witness Babylon on it's last legs, everything getting boarded up, people just moving out, dust sweeps in, slowly everything gets buried and people forget. It will happen to ever city eventually.

Detroit may be unique in that it's the only economically healthy city in recent history that was just wholesale abandoned due to demographic shifts.

There was no massive flood or economic devastation, no famine, no pestilence, no war, people just heard that schools were being desegregated so they moved nine miles away to Oakland County. It's wild.

The Detroit metropolitan area is home to 3.7m people and a $267b/yr economy. They all just got up and went to other school districts and left Detroit proper to rot.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 8, 2021