Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

Booty Pageant posted:

i feel like i'm doing something wrong when i'm not even level 5 and my junk box is already full with everything except what i want, just a single god drat spark plug

Loot filing cabinets. There are tons on Reserve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

yeah ok I complain about no bricks and then this loving happens

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Hazdoc posted:

yeah ok I complain about no bricks and then this loving happens
Tarkov anti-cheat is actually a deep learning key logger, but much like the scav A.I. BSG lost control of it long ago.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

giZm posted:

Sparkplugs are especially bastardy since they're needed for early quests as well as hideout. But I promise, as soon as you have your generator going they'll show up everywhere.

Shumagorath posted:

Tarkov anti-cheat is actually a deep learning key logger, but much like the scav A.I. BSG lost control of it long ago.

welp i guess if it works. maybe this is what all the marked rooms and cultists are all about

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Has anyone seen this Expedition Agartha game? It's a melee based extraction game and it goes into early access on the 18th. I've been watching a streamer play it for a few and it seems pretty cool. Something i'll get into. Could be a decent change of pace from all the extraction shooters like Tarkov, Marauders, The Cycle, etc. I don't know how much it will cost though, and if its $60 or more i'm definitely out. But so far i'd pay $30-$40 for what i've seen.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ShowTime posted:

Has anyone seen this Expedition Agartha game? It's a melee based extraction game and it goes into early access on the 18th. I've been watching a streamer play it for a few and it seems pretty cool. Something i'll get into. Could be a decent change of pace from all the extraction shooters like Tarkov, Marauders, The Cycle, etc. I don't know how much it will cost though, and if its $60 or more i'm definitely out. But so far i'd pay $30-$40 for what i've seen.

Fair warning it's published by a subsidiary of Snail Games who even by most bad game publisher standards are really lovely about pump and dumps.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
That's good to know, thanks.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I almost didn't buy it after looking up the other games in their catalog, but for only $20 (it's on sale 20% off right now), and with everyone I've watched getting tons of fun, I figure if I get 4 hours of entertainment out of it, it's worth it.

Edit: about an hour in and so far fun, if not simple. It satisfies my inner rat so much. Combat is real simple, so it basically comes down to resources and what weapon/armor you have.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 18, 2022

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Apparently it's a thing now for "bad with money" edition users to queue up with randoms in practice mode on labs for straight pvp matches and it's super fun. No consequences go super sweaty if you want to.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

hello internet posted:

Apparently it's a thing now for "bad with money" edition users to queue up with randoms in practice mode on labs for straight pvp matches and it's super fun. No consequences go super sweaty if you want to.

Weird but I like it. It's like getting an arena mode. Wouldn't be surprised if they try and turn it into a bigger thing if it catches on more.

Side note, i'll probably make a thread for Marauders soon, to pull the chat away from this thread. They announced a new beta for Marauders on Sept 6th and early access starts sometime in October, so its basically releasing in the next couple months. I love that game and i'd suggest using the beta on the 6th to see if its your type of game.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

ShowTime posted:

Weird but I like it. It's like getting an arena mode. Wouldn't be surprised if they try and turn it into a bigger thing if it catches on more.

Side note, i'll probably make a thread for Marauders soon, to pull the chat away from this thread. They announced a new beta for Marauders on Sept 6th and early access starts sometime in October, so its basically releasing in the next couple months. I love that game and i'd suggest using the beta on the 6th to see if its your type of game.

Nikita mentioned in the last bsg stream that they're planning on expanding the offline co-op after seeing how much people are using it. I'm hoping they give the same options as the main offline and maybe some more like all bosses or all raiders like the periodic world events. He also asked for people to send them vids of offline antics.

I saw some stream last week of an offline game of capture the mayo jar with snipers protecting it on reserve.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Why is Factory my best map? I can absolutely slay in there.

Walk in with a shotgun or a pistol and walk out with two full kits...then immediately lose them on any of the other maps.

I'm guessing it's because I am always in fight mode in Factory, but maybe i get complacent on bigger maps (it isn't this. i am 10/10 anxiety at all times)

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
There are very few possible surprises on Factory compared to other maps.

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009
Why do you have to pay $45 for this free to play game?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Gahmah posted:

free to play

:dafuq:

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Gahmah posted:

Its only free to play after paying $45.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Gahmah posted:

You misunderstood. It's $45 for the game, but the agony and suffering are free of charge.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I'd say it is more $45 up-front cost followed by a subscription paid in anxiety and frustration.

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009
Mainly I meant the timers/meters filling part of it.

Like structurally it seems like Tarkov would be pretty easy to turn into a FTP game.

Should I just play with the map open on my phone/other monitor or is the experience of finally figuring out how to buy a map from the shop part of the fun? Geniunely, is sticking with just the ingame resources for... understanding this game an enjoyable part of it or should I just have a map with extraction points circled so I can least orient which direction I should be stumbling towards before getting shot.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Until you have the maps memorized, definitely have a good resource open on a second monitor.
mapgenie is... okay. https://mapgenie.io/tarkov/maps/woods
tarkov-tools was by far the best out there but they took their poo poo down unfortunately

if there's a better interactive map someone else will have to chime in

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
The in game maps are complete garbage, and although Nikita might have thought that was part of the fun, it is not. I always play with a proper map on my second monitor.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Does anyone here play Marauders? It's my favorite game this year and they announced a new beta from the 6th to 14th, with early access release happening sometime in October. Wondering if it's worth making a new thread or not, but also i'm interested in finding people to play with. Flying a ship around, blasting people with nukes before raiding their ship, is a blast.

If you haven't tried it, it's really, really worth checking out. It's actual space Tarkov, not that The Cycle: Frontier bullshit. Except, instead of this current era weaponry, you use old school WW1 and WW2 weaponry. Instead of loading into a specific map, you just queue in (and queues are very fast) fly a ship around until you decide to raid the station, grab loot and extract with what you found. You can raid player ships for loot, but there are NPC ships you can raid too.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Bucnasti posted:

The in game maps are complete garbage, and although Nikita might have thought that was part of the fun, it is not. I always play with a proper map on my second monitor.

I saw they added that collection of maps item and was hopefuly they decided to make something useful but quickly remembered what game I was playing.

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009
Now a couple more matches in, Tarkov feels like the video games people are playing in bad isekai media

Which makes it unique I guess. Also having a friend to play it with helps.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Scav

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
man there are so many cheaters this wipe

it's almost as if the devs pretty much made the game absolutely dogshit by trying to remove cheaters and all it did was result in people needing to cheat to have fun, or legitimate players quitting

hmmmmm

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

man there are so many cheaters this wipe

it's almost as if the devs pretty much made the game absolutely dogshit by trying to remove cheaters and all it did was result in people needing to cheat to have fun, or legitimate players quitting

hmmmmm

lol

lmao

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
I just discovered bipods have been in this game for three years and still don't function. Great stuff.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Got Schturman and Rashala last night. Just need Killa, Sanitar, and Glukar… then THE BOYS.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
If anyone wants to play some Marauders, let me know. It's in a limited beta from today until the 14th, only available for like, 10hrs a day. They really trying to push for getting servers stress tested and balancing done. I'm working on a thread for the game too, so I can stop posting about in this thread, but it seems like all the looter shooter/survival game discussion ends up starting and ending here.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

ShowTime posted:

If anyone wants to play some Marauders, let me know. It's in a limited beta from today until the 14th, only available for like, 10hrs a day. They really trying to push for getting servers stress tested and balancing done. I'm working on a thread for the game too, so I can stop posting about in this thread, but it seems like all the looter shooter/survival game discussion ends up starting and ending here.

I'm curious about it!

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I'm definitely giving Marauders a try.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Beta is back up for the next about 12 hours, so if anyone needs a guide message me and i'll walk you through things.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Wow almost 3 weeks of no posting. Well, i'll break the streak and say: Marauders is back this weekend. You have to have preordered it or be a streamer to play, but good time to check out the game and see if you might like it.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
is there a scav option in this Marauders game? what happens when i am bad and lose all my gear/money?

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Dollas posted:

is there a scav option in this Marauders game? what happens when i am bad and lose all my gear/money?

There's a free luger with a box of ammo and a very basic rig for you every raid in your ship so an eco run is always an option.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.

Mischievous Mink posted:

There's a free luger with a box of ammo and a very basic rig for you every raid in your ship so an eco run is always an option.

Well thank goodness, since holy cow. They out here playin' for keeps.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Thank god there's no scav option. I love my Tarkov buddies, but they are so loving risk adverse that I play less sweaty PMC loadouts with them then when I'm solo.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

I got Marauders today and have played about 10 rounds. It's pretty fun, sits somewhere in between Tarkov and Hunt: Showdown in how hardcore it is. Not really sure where I'm supposed to go for any of the quests so I've just been running around trying to kill people and it's been a good time. If anyone else picks it up and wants to play I'm in the Tarkov Discord under the same name as here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Hey, I'm a scrub, and I'm trying to find and kill Reshala. I know that successfully taking him down will be its own problem, but right now I'm having trouble just finding him. I *think* I might have found him once at the gas station, but someone threw a grenade out that instakilled me, so I never got to find out for sure. Are there any indications that he and his guys are nearby? I know which areas to check, but I'd welcome any tips for hunting him down.

I also visited Reserve for the first time ever, got lost in the bunker trying to find the exit, and ran out of time probably... one minute short of being able to limp out :negative: