Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I played my first scav game and died because the running SUV wasn't my exit, and missed out on a PMC who ran right into me but I was unable to properly aim at and take down due to my single AKS-74U mag being near-empty and my 1-round AKM not being much help (no mag loaded, oops). This is still almost what I always wanted out of DayZ and Division 1 Survival.

Will anyone sell me a loving tape measure or did I have to buy the most expensive edition for that?

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm used to using land features in DayZ to orient myself on the map, but are there any keys for Tarkov? Obviously there's MapGenie on another monitor but that doesn't help with where I start.

Right now I'm just popping in as a Scav every chance I get to lessen the consequences of dying when I barely know what's going on.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Thanks; I didn't realize I could map the spawns. That's a huge help!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
who wore it better

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Drum mags are poo poo IRL too. Sorry about your 416 though; I'd be more upset than losing my M240B to DayZ hackers.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is the compass bugged somehow? I've loaded it up in one game and had it be my key to survival, then on another session of Customs with a friend I had straight North / zero azimuth be very much... not north?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
My friend and I had an absolutely bonkers run on Customs but sadly didn't make it out with anything. Probably for the best - I was out of AK ammo with ten minutes to go, and if I'd actually escaped with that many kills on my M9A3 I would have risked becoming a fan of Italian soccer.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Can we crowd-fund moving these Russians to Brighton Beach so they can remake the Division 1 dark zone and I never have to buy another game again?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Do a lot of people play this game with postFX colour jacked up? Interchange has never looked this bright for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQJQM4CHPX4

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
WTF is with Killa's aggro on player scavs? My friend and I found the PMC carrion of a lifetime only for Killa to 2-shot me in the head the second we got down the atrium stairs. Buddy managed to kill him by mag-dumping a P90 into his brain but even with an SR-25 to show for it after an in-raid swap I was still cheated out of a Tri-Zip and two chest rigs.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 20, 2021

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
What's a good return on armor farming aside from hoping to spawn late after an Interchange atrium bloodbath? I have guns, rigs and bags for days but struggle to source class 4.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
My new favourite Tarkov death is spawning with trash gear but a tonne of injectables, and as the PMCs converge on my prone, wounded body I inject everything including an SJ6 and morphine so that I'm now less valuable than the rounds that killed me.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 29, 2021

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Does the 416 front sight ever flip out of the way and just doesn't like my Holosun, or does it co-witness elegantly enough that I shouldn't care? Haven't been able to test this thing out offline yet.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Toalpaz posted:

replace the gas block/front sight with a less poo poo one, no co-witness no problem.
Is there anything available at LL1 for everyone but Prapor? I have the same issue with the M4 I've been stuffing mods onto.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
FYI that does not fit a 416.

E: thanks for your correction. I have a pair of the Mk12 and the low-pro sights Mechanic sells which are oddly not compatible (I know the sight says in the description what it fits but I was hopeful). Of the two M4s I got with the game, I found a red dot that sits at the perfect height for one and the other is unmodded.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 23, 2021

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The bartering metagame is pretty tiresome but I have to think flea market is locked behind levels to prevent botting and the emergence of ETJSP.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Futaba Anzu posted:

it's not exactly the same thing you're talking about but my idea was that they should keep the lvl 20 but just drop it down to lvl 10 a month into the wipe just to benefit latecomers because drat it sucks for them as it is right now
I dunno, dude. I lose because I get outplayed. Last night I lost to a bolt-action 7.62 NATO because he knew his weapon's timing, and a shotgun with great positioning who pushed me into a scav. The guy with the Mass Effect gun couldn't kill me because he was too busy healing when he needed to press an advantage.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I bought a second Lucky Scav box at level 9 and can't find duct tape to save my loving life despite running the tool boxes on Interchange. The whole barter system can go to hell; we already have three currencies.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

concise posted:

They probably heard you shoulder your rifle to aim or fidget around getting into position.

The Perception skill increases your hearing distance, so megachads have magic hearing and the instincts to direct them exactly where you are if you make even the slightest noise.
Just shuffling in place near the Kiba alarm room got me triangulated last night.

Of course, the guy also had M993 and insta-gibbed me with a single headshot as he rounded the corner, and the guy who killed my friend was 100% aimbotting. Overall just a bad night.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

IAmThatIs posted:

So I’ve heard this game is pay to win.
The more expensive editions start you off with more stuff in your inventory, but absolutely none of that will help you win alone. The only thing I would say gives a massive leg up is starting with a bigger strongbox (case for items that you can keep on death) as it helps you with most of the quests and not losing valuable medical supplies like surgery kits that can't be replaced early on. Stash space is also huge if you like to hoard for contingencies and the tedious bartering poo poo is greatly helped by extra cells, not to mention being able to survive a couple nights on tilt without having to buy budget builds or do dozens of scav runs.

quote:

But it looks like money just gets you more/guaranteed storage and cheaper stores?
The boost in trader rep is also nice for not having to grind out more quests to hit loyalty levels. Peacekeeper level 2 at player level 14 is game-changing if you've been stockpiling USD.

quote:

If i buy the cheapest version, would i be able to run around with basic AKs and shoot people? As far as I’m concerned 7.62x39 is god’s own caliber, so I would probably just “main” that. If i sell everything that isn’t 7.62x39, i could purchase 7.62 as needed?
You can buy 7.62×39 PS gzh easily, but even class 4 (of 6) armor can take a surprising pounding from that. When you start out you probably won't have too many AKs with all their parts or in condition worth keeping, but you'll be pleased to know the SKS is an introductory weapon.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 4, 2021

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Shumagorath posted:

Does the 416 front sight ever flip out of the way and just doesn't like my Holosun, or does it co-witness elegantly enough that I shouldn't care? Haven't been able to test this thing out offline yet.
Answered this myself: The front sight flips down automatically in-raid if you put an optic on. It must be bugged in the inventory as it's part of the gas block but otherwise not modelled as an inventory item...?

The Clap posted:

It’s trying to tell you to put on the slick and get one-tapped in the face by Magnum buckshot by a scav 14 seconds after spawning. The circle of life.
The Slick I found not far east from the other poster's location had the opposite effect: It stopped a full load of magnum buck that hit me square in the back and barely lost two points. Going to make sure I only take that thing out with the fully-encased helmet I found in the same raid.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 29, 2021

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Nothing like slamming your scav's God-given eTG-C to not only evade an exit camper but grow all your limbs back as he pelts you with silenced rifle fire.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I've definitely run into hackers but not enough to stop me from making this my fastest game to 150hrs. That includes the guy who was able to aim flechettes at necks from 50 metres.

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

The game is designed around RNG so hacking like that would just make people think the RNG is not in their favor for good loot items while some dude is stealing all the BTC and GPUs and selling them on real world markets like the one in the video.
I'm at level 17 and haven't even seen a graphics card yet so I'd almost believe this.

giZm posted:

Bad player scavs better watch out this weekend.
Why?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
What's the frenzy with people snapping up Therapist's pistol case? Is it just the easiest case to buy and people corner the market to resell?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I just need to be smarter about shooting other scavs. Find two dead scavs on the fortress stairs at 06:30 left and you find a third, living scav upstairs? He wants your 50k roubles.

Why yes, this just happened to me, how did you guess??

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Yeah, this guy's going to check his six better next time he unlocks the marked room:

(I died, but at least I cost someone 100x what my scav inventory was worth.)

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

I think my player profile is corrupt or something. Every time I complete a quest it won't let me receive the reward and the entire menu system freezes completely until I alt-F4 and start the game back up again.

I've sent bug reports to BSG every time but nobody else seems to be having the issues. It started after one of the more recent patches last week.
This is a known issue and happens to me exactly the same way. Support told me they're aware and investigating. My friend just bought the Pay2Win edition so if it starts happening to him then hey at least that narrows it down!

Bussamove posted:

I have to say the massively jacked-up price of 6B43 with less than 50% durability on the flea is a pretty novel example of opportunistic gouging.
What's so special about it? Looks like you're wearing half an EOD suit.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I've had at least two key parts for Gunsmith in my stash and not noticed before buying them again off the flea, but on the other hand it's the bulk of my experience gain between 20 and 23, which puts me right on Therapist LL3 and never needing to carry haemostats or aluminum splints in the strongbox.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Tarkov Shooter part 3 is such bullshit that I'm starting to question if I really need Jaeger LL3. My dogtag has become the town bike as I cause >200 damage to body and score more hits than I fire shots yet 50-50 die in someone's SMG firehose or leave without seeing another PMC. Sitting at 1/3 after 20 runs and I'd probably have a better chance doing Shoreline bullshit solo.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Interesting; some youtuber said the Obrez Mosin didn't count but that might have been a few patches ago. I've just done other quests in the meantime, and since I still have to kill 5 more in the Factory office for him I could buy myself some tank armor and go in with a PP-19 or MPX instead.

I appreciate the advice everyone :unsmith:

LGD posted:

conversely I’ll say “gently caress mosins,” the secret is using a bare VPO-215 with .366 AP ammo on factory, it’s dirt cheap to run it back however many times you need, factory tends to have a reasonable number of naked people even with the changes (though your experience will vary based on time into the wipe, idk how it is right now), and .366 AP does a much better job OHKing people’s torso though moderate armor than any of the 7.62x54R ammunition

the quest is still obnoxious mind you, but this makes it fairly easy to bang out via sheer attrition even if you’re having a bad day
I fought one truly naked PMC who charged me with a knife after everyone else was already dead (one from my Mosin headshot) but because I was wearing PACA he couldn't do anything once past my 8ft barrel. I had a KATT and made short work of him once I decided shooting wouldn't work.

I'd say the ratio of Rats to Robocops was about 50-50 until I started this quest at which point everyone bought an MP7 or SNB and a wallhack. In one match I ate two AP-20 slugs through class 2 and somehow lived to extract.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 29, 2021

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
My Mosin carbine and Press armor came back on insurance this morning, so I slapped on a Texas muzzle break I found yesterday and got it done against:

2) a guy who forgot he had a grenade at camera bunker within the first minute of the match
3) the worst player I have ever seen pack flechette ammo... and he hit me with it, too.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

NJersey posted:

gently caress em. Glad I got my SPTarkov all set up and complete. Never going back to multiplayer again anyways.

Feel bad for the SPTarkov devs, they seem like a cool group.
What's the appeal of playing the game alone? Scav turkey shoots are nowhere near as exciting.

It is funny to see them play the copyright card when Tarkov is a firearms manufacturer lawsuit feeding frenzy in the making.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Kikas posted:

They actually pay gun manufacturers for licensing tho
That's actually shocking, but then again I should be used to this game doing things triple-A studios can't get right.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 9, 2021

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

pirated the game with the singleplayer mod and it worked perfectly, would do it again. gently caress the russian chuds
What makes them chuds? All I see is they made a game you jumped through hoops to pirate.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 29, 2021

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Killa and Tagilla are almost as fun to fight as other players, hackers or no, but it just happens to me far less often. I learn from every bad beat versus a player in a way I haven't been motivated to do since Demons' Souls / Dark Souls PvP.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
What the gently caress is with traitor scavs today... 3/4 runs I've died to one and given up a labs card and GP coin in the process. The 4th was a PMC who I thought would be more than tickled by 9x18 full-auto.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
West or Customs West :pseudo:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
This game needs to go all-in on derpy scav load-outs and have a headset that's just wrestling ear guards.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
My first was Mechanic asking for five flat screwdrivers literally days after I put a lot of my surplus tools on the flea :orks:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
After this weekend of trying to do UN quests while I can't buy the armor, I want next weekend to be called Lost Keys where everyone's keys are disabled and all inventory containers are locked shut.