Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah, goons will tell you "Max your hideout" and you might be tempted to go "Yeah but I could spend that money on this AK and then spend more of that money to make it pretty!" and you would be wrong. Max your hideout it makes everything about the game easier.

And it's not actually that difficult! I'm terrible at the game and I managed to get a Level 2 Bitcoin Farm in this wipe in under 200 raids.

the one caveat is that you can make big $$$ selling off hideout materials for hugely inflated prices early in the wipe and then upgrade your hideout later for less money, but that pretty much requires you to play heavily in the first couple of weeks and make a dedicated decision to farm money (and of course if you're playing that much its usually not a big thing to upgrade on top of money farming)

the other thing I'd note re: the bitcoin farm is that the first card provides by far the best returns (meaning its more important to get it up and running at all than maxed out in terms of GPUs), and if you're not playing a lot there's no need to put too much emphasis on getting to the level 3 farm because a full level 2 farm already maxes out once a day (taking just over 24 hours to hit 3 bitcoins), while a level 3 farm starts requiring multiple logins per day to leverage

LGD fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

huh, it looks like they updated the starting gear (which is in the patch notes) - I have Bad With Money edition and while it was undoubtedly prudent to give people some Esmarchs off the bat, the stash also has fuel so you can start pumping out salewas straight away

curious what the other levels get

also doesn't look like you can use the holiday 2020 gift, but I'd assume there will be something forthcoming in the next few days

LGD fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 24, 2020

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Malefitz posted:

I decided to pick this game up again after quitting before level 10 when I first started playing last wipe.

After a rough start of endless stupid deaths I have a feeling I'm slowly making progress again. I'm almost level 8 so about the same level I was when I played last time but this time I took more precautions to not end up with only poo poo ammunition with nothing good to buy from the dealers.

I quite enjoy the new woods map! I never played it much last time but now I really like it as it feels less crowded. It brings back a bit of the old DayZ vibe, there is just something to running around in the woods and using power lines for orientation.
Oh and thank god for the new compass, I was running around in circles so much when I tried doing the quest to get it. Now I can actually check if I'm still running in the correct direction.

One thing really annoys me though: I suck so hard at shooting in this game it's not even funny. I had so many encounters with other players where I got the drop on them as I am a very cautious player and they still ended up killing me even though their gear wasn't that much better than mine. But the worst part is, I even suck at fighting scavs. They gently caress me up good with their shotguns and I just can't manage to hit them consistently without eating lots of bullets.
I've played quite a lot of shooter games, also a lot of "realistic" shooter games like Squad or DayZ. I'm not super good in these games but also I'm far from bad.
But there is something to shooting in Tarkov which just makes me miss almost all of my shots and it's frustrating.

I hope I will get better over time, maybe it needs just some getting used to. Maybe I should join the discord and play with other Goons to have a better time...

yeah, there is a lot there

shooting *is* different in this game than other games because of how it handles recoil - the game models you getting things under increasing control as you engage in automatic fire, so recoil starts out harsh (modified by your skills and relative to the recoil of the gun you're using anyway, some guns are always lasers) and then gets less bad (and re-centers to your original point of aim)

this means that unlike most other shooters short bursts are pretty much the worst way to use a gun (either single tap or magdump), and you can easily get yourself into trouble if you're trying to compensate for recoil without knowing how it works (i.e. you pull your aim down as you auto-fire but then your aim is being automatically adjusted throughout the burst so you end up overcorrecting and shooting low)

as you doubtless know, a lot of this stuff is also knowledge based and just necessarily comes with time played - map layouts + common PMC movement patterns, scav AI, loot distribution/value/efficient sorting, etc.

you'll eventually improve and be killing basic scavs like it's no big thing - this is actually an area where offline mode can potentially be a big help since doing a few quick runs of Factory gives you an easy way to familiarize yourself with their behavior

I'll also say the game opens up a *lot* once you do reach level 10 since you get access to the flea market and can both start selling your stuff for what it is worth as well as actually ensure you always have workable ammo for some guns (i.e. you can't affordably run an M4 with good ammo based on what is on the flea market and shouldn't start regularly using 5.56 guns beyond ultra-budget and frankly iffy ADARs before you've unlocked m855a1 at the vendor, but 5.45 BT is so common on reserve and in scav guard weapons its always affordable on the flea market and some other ammunitions are produced in enough quantity via hideout recipes that they tend to remain near vendor price - 7.62x39 BP being a go-to example, though there dirt-cheap PS is actually viable and the main advantage of the flea market is the ability to get you reasonably affordable AKs/VPOs and large AK/SKS magazines before their vendor unlocks)

the game opens up a *lot* again at level 15 when you can get several important vendors to level 2 (and then that grows further in a satisfying way as you move into the 20's/actually have the resources to get PK's vendor level up/etc)

imo the scrappy low levels are extremely fun solo when you know the game but they're loving brutal if you're genuinely new

e: also remember that pretty much nobody is truly "good" at Tarkov, even the best players die a lot

LGD fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 29, 2020

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Malefitz posted:

That's some really good advise you guys have provided, thanks a lot!
I've heard of the recoil compensation via skill thing before but I find it really hard to incorporate into my playing.
Like, do you just not compensate at all and wait until the character brings the gun under control himself? Or do you compensate, but just...less?

"yes" - the optimal approach is specific to a particular gun and its particular attachments at your character's particular skill levels

I know that's not particularly helpful but its true

this is one of the reasons (beyond the obvious) that the "meta" gun builds select for minimal recoil

its also a reason its often useful to familiarize yourself with particular weapon setups you'll be using, so you'll have sense of how they'll respond and when automatic fire is/is not appropriate

that sense will eventually extend and broaden as you get a feel for things based on weapon type and numeric recoil value and can start mentally lumping things into broad categories of controllability in automatic fire (which personally scales from "point-blank magdumps only" to "laser")

quote:

Also I have difficulties hitting enemies with single shots. The gun swings all over the place while I hit left and right from the target and they hammer me with hits so I panic.
I also always find myself strafing left and right in confrontations because I'm so used to it from playing CS (which I only play because of some RL friends). Is it better to just stay rooted in place and hope you hit the enemy better/more than they do you?

I will be out for a few days but will do this when I come back. I really want to like this game. I do like it but I enjoy watching videos more than actually playing it a lot of the time....

while the importance of movement in general should not be understated, stux is 100% correct about taking the moment to line up your shots being vastly better than trying to juke people with jiggles, especially when you consider how the damage model rewards shot placement and the fact that the "ideal" (if not the most fun) Tarkov combat encounter consists of you ambushing someone entirely unaware of your existence and giving them the 'ol head-eyes/ears

honestly the best way to use simultaneous movement and fire is probably with Tarkov's extremely accurate point fire (hipfire) in relatively close quarters, which can be devastatingly effective (or get you instantly obliterated if you misjudge your aggression)

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Stux posted:

alternatively sprint around constantly and reposition on people

that does require you to be aware of their existence/general location (and the map layout), and I think the importance of getting an initial leg up in that respect (especially as a solo player) was what part of DrPop was getting at - ultimately both approaches rely on knowledge of what sort of sounds you're making and using the tools you have available to gain informational/positional advantage and hit people from unexpected directions

and while sprinting is extremely useful I think doing it at the wrong time is pretty unambiguously one of the most common ways new players inadvertently get themselves killed

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Buff Hardback posted:

Nope, just super lucky/unlucky.

The other important thing is map flow. You'll generally spawn on one edge, and your extracts will be on the opposite edge.

customs is especially good for learning this because of how linear it is relative to other maps

thankfully since the expansion it’s also wayyyyy less chokepointy (especially if you were new and didn’t know the jumps), and you actually can maneuver around other people

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Gabriel S. posted:

Is anyone else still have 5-10 min game load times on Reserve and the like?

probably everyone

in addition to holiday drop/wipe induced server load they changed the game so that everyone needs to sync up before the game starts

this eliminates the possibility that PMCs spawn late, but it also means that you can get some fairly brutal load times if someone in your lobby is running things on a potato

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Huntsman path cold blooded is the stupid quest in this goddamn loving waste of a game WHY DOES IT TAKE FORTY FUCKIN SECONDS FOR THE TREMOR TO KICK IN WHY DO YOU MAKE A QUEST THAT SCREAMS "GO DO IT ON FACTORY" AND THEN MAKE THAT HAPPEN? EVERYONE IS DEAD BEFORE FORTY SECONDS HAVE PASSED IN FACTORY I HAVE GOTTEN A MILLION HEADSHOTS WITH A BROKEN ARM BUT NOPE NO CREDIT, TREMOR IS TAKING ITS SWEET rear end loving TIME

gently caress

extremely dumb and near-broken quests are core to the tarkov experience, and imo there's still nothing more egregious than loving "Delivery from the past"

maybe try customs or resort? both have pretty obvious PVP hot zones that take a while for people to reach

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Ihmemies posted:

Delivery from the past was a breeze. Getting the docs from Customs is nothing. Never seen any action inside Paradigm warehouse.

For Factory I boguht Redut, Maska and flashlight. At least I won't hopefully get oneshot... Well I did a few training runs offline to get used to the Maska's viewport. Yes I went to night raid, because that way Maska is not a problem since everything is black anyways.

In live game I got a dream spawn close by, just ran there, plant (hear gunsounds in distance), exit. Probably the easiest mission I've done in Tarkov this wipe. Least effort, smoothest sailing.

Delivery from the past can be a breeze when you know the maps like the back of your hand and/or if you luck out, otherwise it can be an exercise in brutal and time-consuming frustration (especially if you're a new player) and its positioning as an essential early Prapor quest that gatekeeps the main questlines means you don't have much of a choice to opt out (even temporarily)

if it was a terminal side-quest or controlled access to a small quest chain and/or if it occurred later in the prapor quest chain I'd have significantly less problems with the way it's set up

and to be fair it might be better for new players since the customs expansion - customs doesn't have the same number of chokepoints it did before, and the construction area being full of good loot seems to means the competition for the big red office is much less intense/murderous

LGD fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 2, 2021

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Them cutting the hide time for the Factory end of Delivery From The Past is an A++++ QoL move thanks be to Nikita.

(Also just get on Discord and 5-stack that one/all non-PVP Factory quests.)

this is 100% true, it makes the whole experience significantly less awful

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Jack B Nimble posted:

Goko, the other guy in that 3 man, and I definitely died crossing north Ford once, because another PMC spawned along the road north of the intersection of corner shop and he apparently just went straight to the eastern slope and was already posted up there waiting for us. We may just have to bang our collective heads against these kind of situations until we internalize them.

And yeah, I'm increasingly of the opinion that concrete bridge gives you the most chances of surviving any long distance pot shots, even if you do have to run north / south along the embankment to get to it. Unlike the fords you might even loot something too.

yeah, western customs spawns are a bit of a poo poo-show and definitely one of the things you need to learn

also, while I think the actual bridge probably is safer than the southern routes atm, there are a pair of caches with at least some cover/concealment immediately on the eastern bank of the river, so immediate access to loot isn't a reason to favor it

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Squee posted:

A friend got me playing this a few days ago, and oboy am I terrible. Just trying to find my way around maps when I'm solo is hard enough, let alone not getting murdered.
I've been trying to do this Woods quest to find the trader guys documents, and I've only managed to get there and pick them up twice, but murdered trying to get out.
Still fun, i just need to not be bad I guess.

don't feel bad - the game has a cliff-esque learning curve, is extremely knowledge based, and takes a while to open up

it'll all come in time though, and it's great when it does

you'll still die a lot ;)

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Pharmaskittle posted:

I asked in the discord last night but went to sleep and may have missed an answer: is building up your hideout REALLY worth it, or should I just keep running and gunning and sell the hideout components I find on the flea market? I'd guess I'm gonna be playing 10-20 matches a week, so I'm an active player but also not poopsocking enough to care about my passive health/stamina/hydration regen.

I did get some good advice on stash management from the discord though, and between that and getting a wallet and pistol case, I can feel the spergy organizing part of my brain lighting up

yes, you *absolutely* want to build it - it turns into an infinite money machine, both passively (via the bitcoin farm) and semi-actively (via crafting sellable items & scav case)

whether you should be selling components or keeping them is a bit more nuanced - you won't really go wrong putting components into building your hideout, but you can absolutely make bonkers cash selling hideout components at the right time and I think people benefit most by either being ahead of or behind the general hideout upgrade curve to take advantage of lower flea prices when buying components while selling off whatever is most inflated

but like... that takes pretty decent knowledge of market timing/what you'll need/what's most important, and isn't necessarily what I'd recommend for a new player - basically building it ASAP is fine, and aggressively selling off everything to build a big pile of money before prices on a lot of components collapse is also fine, but you do ultimately want to build it up no matter what, and there is a very real opportunity cost associated with not having it leveled and spitting out roubles

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

I’d hang onto them until you have at least 3 FIR GPUs - Farming Part 4 is a significant loss of money, but the two quests after are lucrative (especially at current Bitcoin prices), so it is worth doing

the reason to hang onto them for now is that, unless something has changed, GPUs don’t lose FIR status by being put into the miner, so you can use your two to mine Bitcoin until you have a third handy if you complete your mining rig first

e;fb
e: oh and once you do get your Bitcoin rig up and running make sure to always keep at least one card in it (even if you need to buy it it pays itself back almost immediately) - you don’t need to max it out ASAP because the subsequent cards have longer repayment timeframes (though not *that* long at current Bitcoin prices), but the first card is a big deal money-wise since it’s ~20k roubles per hour

LGD fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 8, 2021

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Malefitz posted:

Btw, is the shooting range worth it? Will I spend my actual ammunition if I shoot the guns there?

The Clap posted:

The shooting range is nice to have (I personally highly value the ability to go in and shoot a gun to test it out) but its not a super high priority because it doesn't lead to anything else.

since he didn't mention it, the shooting range absolutely does not spend actual ammunition so it's quite convenient for testing

but it pretty much is purely nice-to-have convenience, since you can replicate the testing by spinning up an offline raid - doing so is much more time consuming/annoying that using the gun range, but it's worthwhile to remember the option exists when you want to verify an optic setup is good before embarking on an actual raid

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Right now the Powercords into Wires one is easy money. I use this site as a rough guide on what to be building.

This will assumedly change as demand goes down but make hay while the sun shines (and you shouldn't be stopping a workbench level 1 anyway.)

yep

though if you're using that site/similar calculators be sure to sanity check because flea price variations at the moment the database pulls things can lead you to very erroneous/misleading results, but the profit isn't hard to see if you're putting in 28-40k of powercords (you can check over time and and buy low) and getting out ~100k in wires (less flea market fees)

and if you don't feel like tracking what is most profitable, the Eagle (Green) Gunpowder at Workbench level 2 is very consistent profitability and usually near the top regardless (since its inputs are vendor items with more or less fixed prices and it is always in high demand due to its use in top-tier ammo crafting)

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Bussamove posted:

I got a lab keycard and checking the map on the wiki it looks cramped and terrifying.

Cage Kicker is right, it’s really not cramped (except in parts), for scale note the “warehouse” room and realize that’s a full sized loading dock with extensive shelving on either side and an elevated platform complete with its own control cabin

and then realize the whole thing has three pretty distinct levels

I think it’s somewhere north of four times larger than Factory

and yeah, labs is definitely not a map to try learning the layout by just doing it live

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Vahakyla posted:

After a cozy four hundred hours, I’m confident in saying that the only time I thought I saw cheats was a million mile head shot on Woods, and it turned out to be Sturman.

”Why did I die” is a great question to ask, and ”cheaters” isn’t a constructive answer.

it usually isn't, but sometimes it's the correct one and one worth considering - you're going to improve infinitely faster if you assume the opposite even in the face of really suspect behavior, but conversely you're not going to be able to handle cheaters well within the raid if you ignore the evidence and assume they're playing legitimately, and if you get head-eyesed by a makarov from an insane distance at Resort you're probably going to get more from requeuing rather than wasting time on doing play-by-play for that particular run

e: I really shouldn't overstate the case though - they've significantly reduced the number of blatant cheaters to the point that I have a hard time thinking of any genuinely suspect behavior I've seen this patch (or last patch really), popular tarkov streamers both over-report cheats and also are categorically unrepresentative of their impact on typical play experience (due to stream sniping / deliberate trolling as well as play patterns that are significantly more likely to expose them to people using cheats as an aid to RMT), and its important to remember that wildly suspect behavior can simply be a matter of timing/luck

a decent personal example of the latter was during my first wipe when I was running around shoreline questing with an ADAR and got surprised coming up from the beach to extract at the tunnel exfil by a player coming down from the tunnel overlook at sunset - I panic hipfired and my first shot went directly into his face from like 30 yards, meaning I got to collect his full high end armor setup/thermal m1a/bag of loot - it would have looked suspect as hell from his perspective, but sometimes you just get tarkov'd

LGD fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 12, 2021

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Lesgoon posted:

Therapist's insurance fee is around 10 percent. Prapor is around 5 iirc, but slower return

the bigger deal with prapor is only having 72 hours to reclaim your stuff, while therapist will hold it for twice as long (144 hours), so therapist makes much more sense if you only play infrequently and/or know you'll be offline for a bit (out of town for the weekend or w/e)

and Prapor cost is up significantly this wipe as can be easily verified by looking at how much it actually costs to insure vs. buy/sell prices (and Therapist looks far more reasonable now since it's like a 37% premium vs. 2x), he definitely feels somewhere a bit north of 10% of item value

insuring is still worth it because in my experience you definitely get your stuff back more than 10% of the time (though this varies based on gear/skill level and what you're doing), but its a significantly bigger cost than it used to be

e:
they also apparently just changed up hideout costs/crafts - most of it is largely innocuous (you can now craft grenade cases in the lavatory!), but apparently (among other things, like heating 2 now taking 3 dry fuel) Generator 1 now requires a Car Battery so unless that changes the early hideout experience next wipe is going to be a bit of a poo poo-show (or at least significantly different - and that's assuming all-else remains roughly the same, which it may well not)

honestly, a lot of these seemingly punitive changes haven't hurt the game (even if I liked playing flea market baron) and at this point I'd be foolish not to give them some benefit of the doubt, but it does seem like it fits into a pattern of the design decisions making things rougher for inexperienced low level players (though again, you do get stuff like free out of raid healing to level 5 and the like)

e2: some of the trades were also adjusted, and in a way that feels similarly questionable in regards to the new player experience - i.e. the cat->AKS74-UB w/ BP mag trade, it now also costs 2 USB chargers and a pack of malboros (which gives those items more ongoing demand/purpose but does mean it goes from great deal early-wipe to iffy), and rec battery->ADAR is now rec batter + 2 chainlets->ADAR

LGD fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 13, 2021

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

HORSEPORN posted:

Yet they didn't nerf the prapor trade that's a cat statue in exchange for an AKS-74U loaded with a full mag of mediocre rounds that vendors for more than the price of a cat statue after you take the mag out.

as I mentioned they literally did do exactly that though

now it costs a cat + 2 USB Adapters + a pack of Malboros

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

lol vaseline now only has 6 charges

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Spaseman posted:

Thanks for the help everyone, I've been slowly sinking under what seems like random stuff for awhile and its nice to know which items I absolutely need.

One last question, which traders should I focus on selling to first, if it matters?

it absolutely does matter in the sense that they give you different rates of return for different items so you want to be selling to the vendors that give you the most roubles, but doesn't matter in the sense of leveling your money spent # because you'll either naturally hit the number through play or can easily resell items bought off the flea market for right around vendor price to rapidly level them at little to no cost

or both, since some vendors start leveling naturally once you get them to level 2 and they actually have items you'd want to buy

in terms of profitability it's usually flea market if the item is FIR and in demand by players, ragman, therapist, jaegar, mechanic, prapor, skier, fence (PK is a bit of a special case since he operates on different currency - you usually favor selling to others but he pays a lot in dollars for intelligence items)

ragman, therapist, prapor, and mechanic usually hit their money targets naturally, while you'll likely need to expend effort on jaeger, skier, and PK

skier currently pays poor prices so you generally need to eat a loss to hit level 2 (after which he has decent items to buy), but it's absolutely worth losing a few tens of thousands of roubles

PK is trivial to level since you can literally hit whatever number you want by directly buying dollars from him (you can also frequently resell intelligence items like SSDs [or flash drives later in the wipe when they're less in demand] you buy on the flea market for a small *profit* in terms of rouble/dollar conversion), and once you hit 2 there are a number of good ways to spend those greenbacks

Jaeger pays Therapist prices so can be leveled in a largely cost neutral manner once you find the right flea market item - i.e. this wipe I did it with Wartech MK3 chest rigs, which he buys for ~33k (iirc), which is right around where they were being listed

LGD fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 13, 2021

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Ambaire posted:

Sorry if I'm missing something, but I think that's confirmation bias.

The reason why "the price you see them being listed for is close to or above what a vendor will pay" is because people buy out anything less than that and vendor for a quick profit. If you keep refreshing those listings, you should see ones go up for less and then almost immediately being bought out.

yes, obviously - maybe I phrased that unclearly, but the point is that you want to identify a reasonably expensive item that the trader you want to level will buy and where supply/demand has pushed the flea market price down to the floor created by that trader

then you repeatedly buy out items near, at, or below that floor to quickly level the trader at essentially no cost to yourself (and potentially profit if you're the guy immediately buying the ones listed for below vendor price)

the wartech was just an example of an item that met those conditions when I wanted to level Jaeger, there's nothing particularly special about it

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

You can also level Skier by buying euros, which you will need many thousands of later on.

important to note that he doesn't sell them until level 2 (though it is a good way to level him otherwise)

e:

FileNotFound posted:

I know lots of people run slugs in shotguns. My personal experience with slugs has been miserable. I can't think of a case where I'd rather use a slug shotgun vs an SKS or RFB or frankly any rifle.
the only slugs worth using are AP-20 (and you're correct it's not that good vs other options, its just a superior choice if you need to headshot scavs for a quest or w/e), otherwise shot (or flechette) all the way

LGD fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 13, 2021

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

FileNotFound posted:

The "Kill 6 PMCs in Factory Office" quest is imo the worst in the game because of how stupid it is. The way you have to do it is to basically hope you spawn close enough to rush office then throw nades out of it hoping to kill PMCs. It's just...ugh...and once again - this is an I suck issue - because whenever I try it, I throw a nade and get rushed and killed in the office - but I suppose at least my death in the office maybe helps someone else get their quests.

At this point I'm sure that the only way I'll ever complete his quest chain is to cheese it by getting friends to join the same factory instance without a squad and then take turns shooting each other....

important to note that it's not literally the office, the stairwells and lower bathroom floor in the same building also count, so you can easily post up and camp a stairwell/the hallway and go after anyone trying to access the office or one of the other rooms (or within the office itself but there are only limited places anyone can be in there), and you can generally get there very quickly from anywhere on the map (really its just the back spawn by the control panels where you can't b/c that area is basically instant pvp and you don't have the same options for dipping out as the other spawns)

grenades are helpful and you should take a few each time you do a run aiming to advance that quest, but they're generally better for throwing into the office than out of it

the hallway/office is where a lot of factory's mediocre loot is AND is known as a pvp hotspot so you're almost certain to see at least a little PMC traffic per game

it's mostly just a numbers game of being willing to spawn into factory a lot and burn roubles - just pick a cost effective loadout (I've like Zsh-1 with faceshield and the 6B3TM level 4 armored rig + a semi-budget gun of choice) and keep at it and you'll eventually encounter enough nearly-naked PMCs to get yourself to 6 kills even if you're really bad at PVP and literally never can win against anyone wearing actual gear

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

ShowTime posted:

I've given up on the bitcoin farm this wipe. I'll work on my hideout still to have access to crafts but i'm not loving around with it this time. GPU prices are insane and I know by the time I get it built Nikitas gonna wipe.

you can just build your own GPUs in the intelligence center, and the first GPU is by far the most important so its really not a big deal to add them over time

ofc theoretically you should weight opportunity cost of selling them, but it usually works out and recent wipes are long

and its really nice to have a free money machine

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Bussamove posted:

I enjoy that the butcoin farm is so expensive because it’s let me make a killing on CPU fans and PSUs. Also tearing apart DVD players for circuit boards.

yeah fan prices are ridiculous atm and the turnover is very quick, I literally just sold a pile sitting in my scav box for 65k each

e: I see people low balling themselves by throwing the fans up for like 18k and it's just... why would you shortchange yourself like that? even if you need a quick turn you can put them up for twice that and the sub <40k inventory will get cleared in like 10 minutes at most

LGD fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 21, 2021

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

I am one of those idiots and now this is gonna be me and Nikita

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdF_Vo4B6Ms

They set the price back to near 100k which means somebody just fatfingered an extra 1 in there which is so fuckin' peak BSG :discourse:

lol same

didn't even check b/c of course it would be lower and I wanted to slam it on cooldown to make sure I got my share

that's tarkov :v:

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Vahakyla posted:

This I mean legitimately out of pure sincerity: you don't actually have to do the quests. They can be ignored and you can still basically get most of the bitcoin rigs and such.

you kind of do actually have to do the quests though

you need rep to get trader levels

quests also give access to a number of highly desirable unlocks for the afforementioned traders

and while some of them can be worked around by things you do in the hideout, a decent number of the hideout upgrades also explicitly require certain trader levels

so you do absolutely need to engage with the quest system to a certain extent

which is fine, it's part of the game (and I actually like the structure they provide most of the time), but that does mean that a lot of the complaints about how they've structured the quests really do have a good deal of validity because it isn't really an "optional" part of the game

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Pharmaskittle posted:

what's up with bitcoin, I got one from a mechanic quest burning a hole in my tactical pocket and flea market won't let me sell it?

they haven't been salable on flea for a long while, they were used for RMT because their high vendor prices (and correspondingly low list fees) meant they could be used to easily transfer millions between accounts

you can either barter trade them to mechanic, or if you're not a fan of what are currently insanely bad deals, sell them to therapist for a cool 400-500k (atm)

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

DrPop posted:

That one held me up for quite a while. Scavving and PMCing on Reserve and hitting the kitchen and ration crates eventually got it for me.

yeah

I got stuck on that for a while and literally just bought the two cheaper keys (RB-PS81 and RB-PSP2, which are like 70k each) for the crate cages in the underground storage bunkers on reserve and knocked it out almost immediately due to the high concentration of ration crates - those cages generally seem to be secondary or tertiary objectives for people on that map even if they have the keys, so you generally have time to get to them and loot them unmolested if you make them your top priority (and the loot is generally good enough to pay for the keys p. much instantly)

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Pharmaskittle posted:

Oh hey, to any other new people: the gunsmith quests are always worth doing as soon as you get them, I did a chain of them that bumped me up two and a half levels in less than an hour last night. You basically always recoup any money you spend on parts and there's almost always multiple ways to do them if you can't find the specific part a guide tells you you need. It's also a lot of fun playing gun barbie

yep, 100%

the only caveat I'd say is that you need to be cautious if you're playing early wipe because some of the parts are *highly* inflated on flea (either because the wiki recommends them or because they're actually unavoidably necessary) - the quests are still worth doing, and usually worth doing right then even at such inflated prices, but if Gunsmith Part 6 currently gives you like 1.3 million roubles in bitcoin you're going to want to weigh paying 1m+ roubles for the gun off flea to keep going and get that sweet xp / potentially accelerate access to higher level traders vs. waiting a bit to see if you can pull an R11 out of marked room/get far enough into Peacekeeper's quest line to unlock it as a vendor purchase/trade, or simply wait for the price to drop with demand (it's now ~5-600k) so that you can pocket the difference

also a good idea to peruse the questline a bit so you don't inadvertently do something like sell a skeletonized AR-15 pistol grip or an olive drab Magpul M-LOK AFG to a vendor (if not FIR) or list it at a "normal" price on flea (if an item you're considering selling on flea has no one listing it but vendors it's often a sign to pause and consult external sources to see if you should be saving it for yourself or gouging the poo poo out of people)

LGD fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 26, 2021

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Definitely save your big Tushonkas because you can't make them and you'll be level 30 and still haven't finished Jaeger's intro quest.

yep, it sucks really badly

if you're in your early/mid-20s and still haven't randomly found said big Tushonkas, I'd reiterate my earlier advice and suggest you buy the cheap RB-PSP2 and RB-PS81 keys (and potentially their more expensive counterparts, but while they're worth owning the RB-PSP1 and RB-PS82 keys are like an order of magnitude more expensive) - they'll pay for themselves pretty much instantly, have good enough loot that you want them in your set of Reserve keys anyway, and it lets you load into Reserve and rush what are generally uncontested ration crates (at least for the first few minutes while people are doing the initial brawling over the marked rooms/GPU room/servers/bunker)

that at least gives you a clear goal with a very high chance of having the Tushonkas, and it shouldn't take you more than a couple of runs to get it knocked out

LGD fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 26, 2021

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I've been posting this on reddit for new players.

Take what you want for the OP:
Here's my starter tips I wish I knew:

Mostly really good advice, but a few notes (some of which are pendantic and new players may not need to know):

• insurance is good insuring your belongings, backpack, headsets and crap helmets usually come back after 12-24 hours depending on the person from dealers. Different "levels" cost more but get them back quicker but beware they also expire quicker. I always use prapor myself. Anything that scavs or players don't loot off your corpse will come back.
The only really important one ---> The highlighted portion is untrue. Prapor costs the least but he takes the longest to return your items and holds them for the least amount of time (72 hours). Therapist costs more but offers both quicker returns and holds them for twice as long (144 hours). Prapor is usually the better option if you're playing regularly because it's cheaper and you still get everything back, but if you only play a couple times a week and/or know you're leaving town for a long weekend then using Therapist is a better bet since she'll still have your items next time you log in, while Prapor will not.

• expanding on above, go into an offline raid without any scavs and just test out sounds. Reload, move through bushes, crawl through bushes, touch a tree. Everything you hear is exactly what other people hear but it's hard to know how far without practice. Just as an example, these aren't real numbers for distance. Running through a bush is like 100 feet, walking through a bush is like 50 feet and crouch walking is like 25 feet.
What you hear does not 100% correspond to what other people hear, and it can change. As an example, changing the fire mode of your gun from semi-automatic to automatic makes a pretty loud click. If you rapidly cycle the fire mode (to, say, check which mode a gun was on and then immediately change it back) you won't hear the second click on your client, but anyone near you will hear two clicks. There used to be a way around this by using the fairly obscure keybind that checks fire mode, which used to be silent, but it currently makes the slide-racking sound associated with chamber-checking, which is even louder than changing the fire-mode. Headphones can also alter your perception of this (i.e. Gssh's will amplify your own sounds and can make you think you're being louder than you actually are).

• Headsets (gshh, comtac, razors etc) "increase" how far you can hear (they actually change the amplification of certain frequency of sound so it gives the illusion of hearing farther but it's the same distance just amplified). These are usually more important than a helmet. Some Helmets also muffle sound. High cut helmets that don't protect the ears don't muffle sound. Helmets that protect the ears reduce the intensity of sounds sightly and enclosed helmets like the tank helmet and kolpak severely reduce your sound.
On a similar note, headsets actually do increase how far you can hear vs. not wearing a headset. They don't have any range advantages relative to one another and differences just come down to preference for the sound profile, but you absolutely gain a distance advantage wearing them vs. not.

• Don't run unless being shot at, it's loud as gently caress. Also don't run thru bushes and trees because they are also loud as gently caress. Sound matters a lot. You don't want a shiny beacon saying shoot my head which is what being loud is like. Mostly walk the map. Sometimes it's best to run between open spots but that also gives away where you are from far away. Try not to run near buildings and contested areas you're trying to enter.. it's a big "hello I'm here!" To the people inside.
Largely true, and the dangers of inappropriate sprinting really can't be overemphasized for new players (noise for sprinting carries something like 6x farther than noise for walking), but how you move changes as you learn the maps and where people are likely to spawn/be at any given time. Sprinting can be hugely powerful to either cover ground or reposition, and experienced players do it a lot. That said, you're 100% right that inappropriate use of sprinting (and not understanding noise generally) is near the top of the list of things that get new players killed.

• lasers, flashlights, IR flashlights make your fire more precise. I'm not sure why it does this but these devices being on groups your shots better. The unfortunate part is it also gives you away, that's why people use IR flashlights because they are basically invisible
More specifically they make your point (hip) fire more precise, not with sighted fire. Non-IR lasers can give your position away but some people get more paranoid about it than they need to (i.e. spotting a laser lets them know someone is looking at them but rarely more specifically where the laser is coming from absent other context clues like it being from down the only hall). Non-IR flashlights are also currently very powerful tools as they can effectively blind enemies staring at them in dark areas (i.e. at night, in bunkers, esp. while wearing NVG). You don't want to have them on all the time, but that extra bit of disorientation can be all the difference while making aggressive plays. Note that how blinding the flashlights are has varied widely over the game's lifecycle, from useless/more detrimental to the user than anyone looking at them, to borderline or actually overpowered.

• fire bad! It does crazy damage crazy fast. Try not to step in gas station on shoreline fire or the smugglers boat fire etc. It'll kill you in 2 seconds.
You can use smugglers boat fire to level vitality since the exit is right there, but don't get too cute since as you note it'll kill you very quickly. ;)

LGD fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jan 27, 2021

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Toalpaz posted:

Hey folks, its been a while and I hope you're all enjoying yourselves. I've been grinding harder than I usually do this wipe and got my bitcoin farm up and running and basically burned out because apparently all I care about is the grind and I have no real goals and find the gameplay stressful.

Anyways here's two times I did good this wipe. A shoreline 2 v 3, and a customs 1 v 3. E: I linked the same fight twice... but fixed it.

Rest assured I spend most of my time getting blapped. I'm hitting a fairly hard wall as I have no motivation to do runs other than to unlock M61 for slightly cheaper and consistent high quality 7.62 nato.

Anyways if I can offer some advice for OP I think a lot of the 7.62r and Nato rounds need to have giant disclaimers on them about their usefulness. If you're using a bolt action or trying to do the sniper questline, you should really be using a SV-98 or Mosin for the 7n1 sniper round, because it pens through lv4 and has lethal damage on torso hits. SNB is a good, inexpensive, high quality ammo but it needs that double tap or head shot. It's much better in something like an SVDS. If you hit a geared guy with SNB using a bolt action it'll be like .6 seconds until you can fire again, and you might have hit a stomach or arm, meaning you need 2 more torso hits.

If you want to use the 7.62 nato rounds for the sniper quest line I'd recommend using BPZ. It deserves a mention in the 'good ammo' pile imo, just because it does deliver a lethal hit through armour class 3 and probably headshots fine. At the very least it makes taking a m700 or DVL much less painful when fighting scavs. I do think due to the way torso HP works in this game that all these sniper rifles are basically inferior because they don't have 7N1, but all the semi automatic options are fine.

Oooh. And the .366 VPO-215 is actually somewhat viable as a comparable bolt action with this round:

It's a one shot for only 400~ rubles. You get the gun early and it's super cheap, but with this ammo it's does present a real threat and has more rapid reloads than the Mosin.

the higher flesh damage of .366 AP means you're much more likely to successfully OHK via thorax through level 4 armor than with 7n1, so I absolutely recommend the VPO-215 for a lot of the Jaeger bolt-action quests

obviously you don't want to be using it for Shooter Born in Heaven (100m+ headshots), but for something like Tarkov Shooter part 3 (killing PMCs at less than 25 meters) you're going to have a much more enjoyable time running an 18k rouble gun that can blap people center mass than trying to hit banger headshots at ranges where you're disadvantaged vs. even naked dudes using terrible pistols

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Fancy_Lad posted:

Also you'll get most of them back in insurance because people want mosins, but who can be bothered with a vpo-215 :)

Last wipe I went through probably 20 mosins trying to get Tarkov shooter part 3 knocked out. I finished it this wipe on the 4th vpo-215 + ap raid and I actually survived 2 of those. Blew my mind lol

yep :)

and, while they're likely to be stripped from the VPO you get back via insurance, it's also ridiculously cheap to further kit out for quests where you're not just suicide charging factory with a basic gun - the suppressor it uses is like 16-17k, and it has full-sized rails by default, so you can slap whatever cheap optic you want on it (you can often get TAC 30's, FDE ELCAN's, or ADO P4's for ~25k)

so a silenced bolt action with your choice of usable variable scope for ~60k, vs. mosin snipers which start at ~50k without any optics/accessories at all (ofc you can use mosin infantry + tri-rail once you unlock it, but that's really only saving you ~10k and you're still going to be well over the total cost of the entire VPO package even before you add the 30-50k it costs to silence a mosin)

and the ammo generally performs better

the only downsides are the higher MOA + lower bullet speed (which are still entirely fine), so you're going to be much better off pretty much all the times you're not primarily trying to score 100m+ headshots (i.e. all the time you spend playing the game that isn't trying to complete Shooter Born in Heaven)

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Qmass posted:

does the mount position of flashlight/lasers make any difference ?

Yes, but it’s minor - it affects where the laser/light is in relation to the rest of your weapon, so with lasers your actual bullets may be going slightly to the right/left of your laser if you don’t mount them above/below your barrel, and with flashlights it’ll impact the position of where others who are being blinded by the light see the light source relative to your body (I.e. mounting a light on the right side of your gun means you’re displaced if they don’t think/know to compensate for that and aim right at the light)

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Trump posted:

This game is a rollercoaster. I'm a new player, had it like a week and I've been mad as hell about my purchase too many times to count. Untill today I had only managed to extract once as PMC and only survived on customs scav runs.

That was until I did the gold watch mission on customs today. And accidentally ran into a scav boss that dropped the DT MDR and while heading for extract, got the drop on a PMC with a loving bitcoin. I extracted and now i loving love this game!

the highs are incredibly high, and the lows are frequent ;)

Inspector_666 posted:

They upped the recoil on the VSS and VAL, but I think they rolled it back a little bit recently.

Toalpaz posted:

how did they nerf the vss??? I was never super into using it, so I haven't followed that closely but I've definitely seen less and less of them.

that, and they adjusted some of the trades and pricing of the weapons/parts/ammo to make them more expensive to run (i.e. plier trade for 30 round magazines, which were always the major cost of running the 9x39 guns vs other platforms, went from 3->4), and at one point nerfed 9x39 damage/pen a bit (though I believe some of that has been reverted)

that alone wouldn't have been enough to get people to stop running them, but in conjunction with the (significant) recoil changes it did change them from the almost unequivocally best option to merely one very good option among several

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

sinburger posted:

There's so much scav on scav violence in this game this wipe that you're better off just killing or hiding from everything you see.

Otherwise NPC scavs will run around, stand in the open, and randomly voice line.

note that random voice lines may not mean the scav is an NPC, as players can use them as well

while its rare for them to do so, absent other evidence you should consider the possibility that they’re trying to bait you/lull you into a false sense of security (especially if you don’t have line of sight)

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Toalpaz posted:

It happened folx, case paid for itself and more in a week.

I was going to make a comment about how you can guarantee its eventual profitability by just doing the low rouble options repeatedly (which is true), but that even though moonshine/intel often feels largely breakeven or slightly negative EV I still like the option to gamble for quest items/random gear

but my scav box just came in and (though it's not quite as good a pull) lol:

(the intel used was from a previous moonshine-based run - intel is definitely the highest risk/reward option, since the items it favors tend to be either nearly worthless or worth mega-roubles)

LGD fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

while the price of propane has shot up significantly, the 2x propane + fuel conditioner trade at Prapor will still be much better than direct flea prices (especially if you buy low), and isn’t as crazy timing wise as Jaeger is

I need to stop stocking up every time though, I’m currently sitting on a multi-week supply (almost entirely from Jaeger)