Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
How's the hacking? Still problematic? I heard the release date went really, really well, with like no issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
They are giving away decent New Years day rewards for anyone that has a pre-order or buys it through the 5th. They are actually fairly decent, but nothing insane. Getting a docs case and an ammo box are pretty helpful but not insane.

Edit: Actually that is a lot of BP ammo...

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Pathos posted:

Where do you get this? I've had the game for a while so maybe I'm misreading something, but on the profile page (on the website) and logged into the game I don't see any claim button anywhere.

If I had to guess its gonna be released on the 27th when the sale starts. Part of a bigger promotion. I also couldn't get it yet.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

TheTofuShop posted:

On your profile page, below the edition you purchased at the bottom of the page is where it shows up. Some goons posted pics of their gift so it went live just now. You get all the items listed.

Also updated the discord invite link in the OP, it had expired.

You know what, it probably went live at 4PM EST, which is 12:00AM on Dec 27th in Russia. We run on their time. Mine is live too.

Edit: And that also means the discount is live if you needed to buy the game or upgrade. 25% off through Jan 5th (I believe)

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 26, 2020

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Like others have said, this game is niche popular, but it's popular with the right FPS streamers and people like to play what they play. If there were no bigger streamers playing this game it would have never gotten as popular as it is. Not saying i'm not a fan of the popularity at all, but it makes sense why it became popular.

Wish I was playing right now to loot all these AKMN's from the new years gift.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I think a portion of the popularity can also be attributed to the loot you can acquire and the mindset of wealth. I can't think of many FPS titles where there is an economy and you can show off your big dick by being rich. With that wealth comes access to that good gear. You read a lot about people who hate taking stuff into a raid because they could lose it. They even have a term for it: gear fear. So there is definitely a mindset of "I want to gain wealth and not lose it". Obviously you have to get over that, but if you are a good player you can gain a bunch of wealth and always run the best gear, which does give you an advantage. For sure, you can still get head tapped by someone with a pistol, but you can prevent many deaths by rolling with the best armor and superior firepower. If I have money, I can use more ammo than you, a better ammo, and throw more grenades at you. I can get even more of an advantage on you by being a good player and amassing wealth.

Not a lot of games have that and it's something I think a lot of players get attached to.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Apparently Nikita had a semi-drunk, semi-official chat with some Russian streamers a few hours ago where he discussed a few things, including Arena.

Arena is going to be a separate game. :v:

Also UN troops, Russian Regulars getting introduced as NPC factions. Also Russian Special Forces whose main goal is hunting down USEC players. UN Troops will apparently hunt Bears, but not with the same level of fervor as the Russian SFs.

The feature creep grows!

Did they say separate game or one of the money expansions they talked about? So do you need EfT base client to play Arena or can you just buy it for $20 with no EfT? Not that you probably know, just curious.

Also, the hunting feature sounds fun. I like the idea of patrols going around looking for the people they don't like, i'd just be worried about some crazy NPC aim with these guys.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
The player AI in this game is crazy, which is why i'm slightly worried about the hunting NPC factions that were mentioned earlier. Geared up NPCs actively hunting you with the ability to see through walls seems scary.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Back when I played, which at this point was 2 patches ago, Reserve was where I made easily 75% of my money. Mostly as a scav. Just way too many good exfils for scavs. It was so easy to just pop in, grab a few things and pop out with a bunch of money. Then you go play your PMC, finish that run and go do your scav. I almost didn't even try to kill people. My goal was almost always to find where people killed Gluhar and his buds, loot that area and get out. I had runs that were as short as 3-4 minutes, which maybe doesn't sound fun to you, but i've always viewed scavs as a way to make money. I think that has always been their intent too. You just have such a massive disadvantage against chads that Battlestate can't seriously expect you to have a chance against them. Maybe when you can team up with other scavs reliably, but 1v1, a chad almost always outgears a scav. Plus, they usually aren't solo and it's a poorly geared scav against a group of 4.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

ChesterJT posted:

loving Willie Wonka Nikita just said on a live stream that there's been a secret stash on Shoreline, no one has found it yet, and the first person to find it gets something special.

Fun.. in Tarkov?

(Assuming they archive the stream as usual it was around the 30min mark according to the live timer at the bottom)

This is probably a troll. Cheaters would have found it by now. Unless it's brand new and cheaters aren't really doing Shoreline at the moment. Or it's meant to catch cheaters, so coming forward would result in a ban. Basically everything surrounding it makes it seem like it's not something you should bother looking for.

Or, its not in the ground, but on a ceiling or in a tree somewhere. Shoreline also has that chair on the ceiling, iirc. If it is real, my guess it's not in the ground, or its in the minefield somewhere and you need to walk a certain path to reach it, or it requires jumping to it. I can't seem to get a match right now and just started playing again, so i'll go take a peek while I adjust settings.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
This early into the wipe you definitely want to work on it.

I can't seem to get into any matches, any ideas? I'm on different servers, wait 10+ minutes, etc. I just reinstalled the game, is there something i'm forgetting?

Edit: Looks like when I start trying to play, the servers go down. What luck!

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 7, 2021

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Seems like servers are back up and I still can't get into a match. Any idea what I might not be trying? Do I need to allow EFT through my firewall or something? The BSGlauncher is allowed, not sure if I need to do something special for the client.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I solved it. I vaguely remember doing this on my old PC and just forgot it was a requirement for Tarkov. I had to go through and manually open up some of the ports EFT uses for connecting. After that, instant connection. I went from ready to in a match in under a minute.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Malefitz posted:

I finally managed to get to level 10 two days ago and boy is this game more fun when you have unlocked the flee market.
I'm a wealth hoarder in games like this so I had a lot of fun in running my scav on factory and trying to escape with whatever is lying around on the floor, then sell it on the flee. Sure, scav on factory can be frustrating because from time to time I get a headshot before I actually spawn in and there are so many player scavs on factory that shoot everything on sight. But it gives some interesting no investment pvp action with various weapons and chance to get good loot.
And I learn the map for when I actually need to go there with my PMC...

Stuff I have successfully extracted with from factory:
gas analyzer (3)
lab key card
flash drive (2)
assorted keys
obviously various guns

I am at 3.5 mil ruble now. Do you guys have suggestions how I should invest this? I'm not sure if pushing the hideout is the best idea for me so early in wipe as I am a very slow player. I am looking at buying some containers (another ammo box, med case, scav box?; etc..) but maybe they are also too expensive for early wipe...
Any suggestions?

I always put my money into quality of life stuff, like containers. But i'd also start working on the hideout if I were you. This early into the wipe means you'll have months and months of using it before the next one. It basically prints money at later stages. Yes, you do have to invest in it and there is something to be said about analyzing the cost vs benefit of it, but if you play a lot and get it done early, you make enough off of it to justify building it. Even maxing out the GPU farm. The scav box is fun too and you can get everything from screws to red keycards in it, plus it all counts as found in raid (this is how it was when I played, not sure if it's changed).

I'd really recommend getting the hideout worked on for everyone that plays consistently. If you are only playing a few hours a week, I wouldn't bother, unless you are a god at the game and make enough money off those few hours to afford it.

So I cannot seem to join Reserve. Is that a problem for everyone? I can get into customs easy, but I sit at the Reserve loading screen for so long I just back out and go somewhere else.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
So how do you hop over the counter at the gas station on Shoreline now? You used to be able to hop over right at the register but now you just get burned to death. There is some good loot back there and the two times i've gone for it, I get burned to death.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

i vomit kittens posted:

As a scav or PMC? Getting into a PMC run never takes long but there are a lot more people trying to scav in on it than there are matches available so it takes a while some times. I usually have better luck scaving in on Reserve at night, never have wait times longer than 5 minutes with that.

Scav. I guess that makes sense about too many scavs for players. I'll try it at night. It's got pretty good lighting and I know where most stuff is.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Definitely more 2-3 player groups running around then I remember. Gonna have to start playing with goons soon. I'm trying to do quests on Customs and haven't had a successful extract yet.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I really, really want to hit 10 so I can start clearing out my stash. Right now my favorite item is the belt rig, because it gives me +9 slots to my inventory, which is crucial for holding all these bolts, screws, nails and wires i've been hoarding. I also really want to be able to buy a decent weapon, because using my scav run castoffs isn't going very well. I'm almost about to start doing pistol runs just to try and get a kill or 2 every match to level. I hit lvl 5 and just stalled.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Keep working on your tasks as much as you can, that's where the major experience comes from. You might have to buy a couple of keys if you can't find them in drawers or jackets. Or ask goons to go with you and open doors for you.

Yea, I was just in that weird period where I only had the first two quests available from Prapor and Mechanic, so was limited into finding 2 shotguns while getting rocked by players on customs while trying to find scavs, which don't seem to exist at the start of the game. I decided to do a mosin only run on Woods to just try and get the Jaeger quest and got lucky enough to knock it out with no issues. Well, there were issues, because Woods had an update and it looks entirely different now. So I did get lost and panicked, but managed to get it done. As soon as that was done I was able to knock out the MP-133 portion of Prapors quest and now I have 6-7 in the queue. Next up is struggling with the even harder Customs quests: finding the stopwatch and water. I have both keys from scav runs thankfully.

To add to the weird scav behavior conversation: yesterday I walked into the gas station and a scav fired two shots out the window at nothing and then just stood there. I assumed it was firing at a player, but went and looked around and there was nothing. This morning a scav charged at me with it's knife out. I panicked, shot it and it just ran by me. So I shot it in the back, assuming it was a player, but it emoted at me. I managed to kill it without realizing it until the match ended. I assumed it just kept running.

I do love that updated scavs to run, drink, check mags, wiggle, etc. Makes it harder to determine if it's a AI scav or player scav.

Edit: I just found out my new monitor has a feature to add a crosshair to the center of my screen. I can't wait to try this out.
Edit 2: It seems a little off. It's probably gun dependent, but it appears that ADS ends up being slightly lower than the center of the screen. I'll have to test more when I have a gun range.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 10, 2021

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I'm also a big fan of Anton. For the above stated reasons, but he also has no qualms about going in on his chat. When his chat says something stupid, he calls them on it and makes fun of them for saying it.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Phobeste posted:

Paying starts a (really long) countdown until you extract. If you're not in the extraction zone seeing the countdown when it hits 0, you get left, even if you payed.

And to add to this, you can leave and come back before the timer ends. Often it's safer to start the cooldown, count down and head back to the car before it leaves.

RobotsLoveSpectres posted:

Yeah it takes a minute to extract but we were sitting side by side and he got left behind. We tried it twice with the same outcome.

Are you positive he paid? Did he see the extract timer counting down? The money can't be in your secure container to pay. On some of them you have to have 3001 roubles in your inventory, not exactly 3000. I learned this the hard way on Woods.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Fancy_Lad posted:

Not my experience

Our group has had a handful of times where someone got left, but for any of them where we had a recording either they didn't actually pay (the little green guy icon didn't light up for them) or they were outside the zone when the counter hit zero. Not that I wouldn't believe something could be bugged in Tarkov :)

That's been mine though. The game never sees my roubles in my container, I have to transfer them out of my container to pay at a vehicle. I wonder whats happening if it works for you and not for me.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
You also got one for free through the last gift, which was amazing.

I gotta figure out whats going on with being unable to pay for vehicles through my secure container. I have to move the money to my inventory every time. The option shows as red until I move it.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I just bought a pair of Razer Blackshark Pro V2 because they were the highest rated headsets and most recommended that I could find and I would not recommend. I bought them because I wanted a headset to switch from my headphone/mic combo, wanted something wireless and wanted something with advertised surround sound. The surround sound is the worst i've ever heard, with everything in game basically sounding like it came from the same place. My old setup did surprisingly well with surround sound.

I'm gonna be testing them more and deciding if I need to adjust more settings or return them.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea I'm realizing that. I cannot understand why these are so well reviewed. They sound terrible. I can't tell where people are at all. It just sounds like the person is in every direction.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Buy headsets for music and have a dedicated mic. You will always get better quality. I like, I believe, audiotecha or something for studio or close to studio levels on analog.

This was my setup. ATH-M50x. Great headphones. My favorite headphones i've ever used actually. I've worn them so much i'm wearing out the headphone lining and the cord is coming loose. Then a blue yeti mic, but I have a lot of ambient noise in my room and wanted to cut some of it out. The yeti is just an awkward mic to use or gaming. I wanted to get a headset to cut down on some space and remove some ambient noise. I also wanted some bigger headphones to help the strain on my big ears.

Stux posted:

they can work somewhat better in other g ames, the issue is ironically bcos tarkov is using a positional audio system already. anything else trying to add more spatial information to the audio is going to really jack things up.

Yea, I figured that's what it was. I was having other issues with the headset too. Very faint sounding. I wanted to take advantage of my sound card too and I don't think the Razers were doing that. I already have them packaged up to return tomorrow and am gonna look into the soundblaster and a new pair of headphones. When I play games, ya'll will just have to deal with ambient noise. I'm trying to work on cutting as much of it out as I can.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

This is veering wildly off track now but if you have one of the new NVIDIA cards that support RTX Voice, that poo poo is amazing at filtering out background noise, and not just constant stuff like hums or whatever.

But also you should only be keying up when you have a thing to say on Discord anyway so background noise isn't too huge of an issue.

I do and I do. I use push-to-talk, but I wanted to toy around without it so I could be a real chad gamer. The yeti at least has options for where it pulls in sound, so i'm gonna try that. But I also have a gpu that should support RTX voice, so i'm gonna try that too.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Stux posted:

you dont need a special soundcard for playing games, please believe me lol

also gaming headsets are perfectly good for playing games. i literally use one over my expensive studio headphones for gaming. dont fall into t he audio nonsense hole.

Are you talking about the RTX software that was just mentioned? That actually works. I just tested it. And some soundcards do make things sound better, like the one in my new PC. I noticed a major difference in quality when I got this put together. I'm not gonna buy the soundblaster that was recommended earlier, but I could see how it could improve things if you have a lovely sound card. I know because I had one, got a better one and noticed an improvement.

There is only so much you can do though, I even get that. But sometimes you want that slight bump and if you can afford it and like it, go for it. It's your money. Someone made the point about GPU's when I was building my PC that a Honda Accord will get you from point A to point B, but that doesn't stop people from buying Lamborghini's.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Even if they turned it off, what they have now worked better than surround sound. I can tell where people are still. Based on where an explosion is I can generally tell where it happened based on how loud it is. Everything can be improved obviously, but it still works alright.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the SKS is my go to budget gun too. Slap a mount on it and whatever sight you want, grab a couple 20rd magazines with BP ammo and go to it. It's a decent gun that all told, SKS, mount, sight, mags and ammo can run you about 120k, which is a fair price for a good gun. At least early on until you have access to lvl 4 traders.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 15, 2021

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I also like the pp 19 because its the first semi decent gun with a silencer you can get. It's a low caliber bullet, but you can still get the job done. You can usually find them for around 90k and you just buy a few extra magazines and load it with AP ammo, or if you really want, 7N31 or RIP. I imagine going RIP and leg meta would be pretty good.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I mostly just love the pre-made guns that are accessible early, because mods are expensive and I love being able to just grab and go. I want a decent gun without having to figure out all the mods or buy them at super inflated flea market prices. I try and keep my loadouts at around 300k right now, because that's just a scav run worth of loot.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I do love presets, but so many good items are locked behind 3+ loyalty traders that I just prefer pre-mades for simplicity. Some mods are 3x their trader cost, which I can't justify spending.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Getting face tapped by a scav from a ridiculous distance or angle is just a rite of passage. Complaining about it but getting over it makes you a true tarkovian.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
The end of this video is the best part. It's worth watching if you haven't. It's the epitome of streamer.

If you don't want to watch, dude takes a chug from a 2-liter of Coca Cola right after dying.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea he was. I usually do the opposite and visit streamers that kill me to see how much they make fun of me. I also wonder how many people try and visit TwitchTVTTV when they see it on their feed.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

Having dudes in sniper mountain every round on Woods just isn’t a whole lot of fun. Every single round recently, and it’s hard to plink at their heads.

Yea, you kind of got to get there first or push them. I happened to spawn there and took out my first 3-man squad today. They all had sniper rifles and food/water to last.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Famethrowa posted:

depends on your tolerance for streamer voice, but Pestily has a really solid series for beginners. He starts a fresh account and plays through the early quests, explaining his thought process. He's a lot more chill in these then when he does standard streams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3TiTbuJtZo

I'd definitely watch the Pestily videos. I've been enjoying his Raid series. Yesterday he did a video just on money runs on Interchange that was pretty cool. It was all stuff i'd seen before but I still enjoyed it.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

what kind of sick person doesn't let somebody complete delivery from the past

From my experience, every single Tarkovian.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

sum posted:

Wow it turns out adding the military-designed weapons literally designed to be effective against armored personnel at short/short-intermediate ranges has broken the meta of our game where 90% of fights happen at 50 meters or less. Who would have guessed.

Also I've come up with a stash/loot run of Woods that has pretty much removed the challenge of the game. I'm extracting ~90% of the time averaging like 700k rubles a run. I'm running around with thermals and class 6 armor just for giggles now.

You could share with the rest of the class.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Anyone have recommendations for decent Youtube Tarkov content creators, other than Pestily? I need some videos to download and watch while i'm at work or out for a walk. I picked up Youtube Premium trial and would like a few videos a day to get my Tarkov fix while i'm unable to play as much.