Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Originally released in March 2020, Last Oasis is a persistent open-world fighting game. It is an engine for building sand-cars and blowing them up in massive fleet battles. A stone-age monkey tool crafting-and-trading simulator. A spiderman grapple and wingsuit flight sim. A contest of diplomatic, economic, and scientific domination. A glorious, unique, buggy, clusterfuck of a game. Naturally, goons love it.

Also, the game is 50% OFF through January 5th. One heck of a deal for $15. Possibly even worth it.

Not really. But it’s fun, and at this point, it’s at least not-not-good, which is a big improvement over past versions. Season 1 ended in October with its notoriously buggy launch, horrific exploits, huge zergs, and overall imbalance, grindiness, and shittiness. Something we can now thankfully forget about. The devs actually listened to player feedback and took huge steps towards fixing all of the aforementioned problems, wiping the game in November to allow for the development of an entirely new, player-driven economy. Season 3 will begin sometime in Q1 2021, coinciding with fresh meat the XBOX launch, and, if things keep getting better, then by golly, we could be looking at an almost-good game next year!

Here’s a more complete feature list:
- Drive across the sands in many types of small and large wind-powered walkers
- All that survival bullshit reduced to one resource: water
- Many different maps to explore, with limited-time event maps
- Grappling hooks to, like, swing around and stuff
- Wingsuits let you glide around and ambush pubs (or fall and die)
- Exoskeletons
- Angry monkeys with sticks
- Full loot, skill-based melee
- Lots of walker combat with mounted weapons and hand-to-hand deck fighting
- Local voice chat to spam music during ops
- Crafting and harvesting systems
- Wandering traders and in-game currency
- Player-driven economy
- Clan-based territory control
- Nomadic base-building (enabling on-tile, grief-resistant favelas)
- BATTLE FANS

People returning to Season 2 can expect:
-25 day burn
-Goontown!

- A bunch of new walkers
- New maps and enemies
-Walker packers, moving walkers is really easy now!
- Clan caps and caps on number of people from a single clan allowed in certain tiles
- Exoskeletons (if you quit season 1 before they got added)
-Cluster bombs!
-Resourcing is now a lot easier.
-Modules can be bought in bulk from npc merchants
-Tabs are much easier and there are multiple ways to acquire.
-New event tile called the ancient city, it's basically a mall for nomads!
- Wandering traders and in-game currency
- Player-driven economy
- Personal, packable stone bases
- Base walker-packers (put your walker into your base)
- BATTLE FANS

https://i.imgur.com/Cht2JQW.mp4

We are Bad Games Crew, formerly LiveRupuCams.Com We were even endorsed by Gilbert Godfried!

We have been playing this bad game off-and-on since beta. Over the last three LO seasons, roughly 300 Goons have tried this bad game with us. Maybe you’re one of them? If so, welcome back! If not, we hope that when you inevitably lower your gaming standards enough to play this game and you choose to do it in the least painful way possible: surrounded by fellow Goons, reaping all the benefits, knowledge, and shared prosperity of those who came before. Currently our elected leaders are MoistGrandmas42, Kyberkaze, and DrCaptainSir. AwfulCitizen administrates the discord and was the driving force behind all of us playing together again this season.

We want YOU to come play with us for the remainder of Season 2. Due to the Donkey Crew’s donkey-brained content release schedule this season, pretty much all of the major content drops have already dropped, meaning that we are at the point in the game where we have everything we could possibly want or need to go out and make other people’s (in-game) lives a living hell. Which, let’s face it, is what Goons do best. We have a schedule chock full of fun, crazy, all-kits-provided, low effort ops to come participate in. We just need participants. If you’re more invested, we also have long-term ~secret plans~ for this season you can help bring to fruition.

Like most Goon groups, we have a zero-tolerance policy towards any form of racism or bigotry. Believe it or not, in a game that is essentially stone age Mount & Blade, this actually made it hard to find good allies in Season 2. Our initial allies ended up being a front for crypto-Nazis, so we formed a new alliance and proceeded to dab on said Nazis so hard their clan splintered and they haven’t been seen in-game in weeks. This joyful bonding experience led to yet another alliance that took its first tile last week, meaning we have a new relatively safe home to base out of with more victories on the horizon. But enemies still lurk in the shadows. Overall, there are lots of bad people in this game. Come help us kill them. If you're interested, here's what we have planned for most weeks.

To join up with us, join our discord. https://discord.gg/Rtkpc42kFw

Once you're in the Bad Games Crew discord, please post in the Last Oasis channel for access to the clan's channel.

Our tentative schedule for most weeks are as follows:

Monday: Group gathering/trade mission/trade station karaoke and dueling, 6pm PST/9pm EST
Tuesday: Swayze's Crazies, 6pm PST/9pm EST
Thursday: Clanwide Duel tournament with prizes!
Friday: Doctor's Pain Patrol, 6pm PST/9pm EST
Saturday: Swayze's Crazies 3pm PST/6pm EST
Sunday: Moist Grandma's Dirty Dozen Grief Squad 6pm PST/9pm EST

Season 3 will begin sometime in Q1 2021, coinciding with fresh meat aka Xbox cross players!

Griefin' with goons

Fighting nazis!

Some RP tavern called the Thirsty Nomad Inn!

Fighting with our new alliance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B94SzqFKOkg

Goon Rocketry: https://i.imgur.com/TJFG87U.mp4

S1 Highlights

Burt and Swayze vs 50 nakeds: https://streamable.com/j0zxj9

Big fleet op: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIXj_7Frmw8

Twitch streamer accidentally aggros rupus: https://clips.twitch.tv/EntertainingFaintFlyPJSaltp

Fair 1v1s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN268e-vdoU

Forge going rupushit on unsuspecting pubs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvyzYgCeBZQ

Come fight stone age nazis today! https://discord.gg/Rtkpc42kFw

Communist Q fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Dec 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davor
Sep 19, 2013
This is a great post.

Funny story, we say "Crypto-nazis" but come to find out the leader of said Nazis named himself after an actual Neo-Nazi who actually murdered people, and his guild after the fascist bad guys in an extremely famous book. They were crypto in the same way the guy who has an SS uniform and a room covered in Nazi flags, but claims he's just a ww2 reenactor is crypto.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Yeah I remember it was around the time when he started talking about he was a "fan of 30's history" and "just likes designs involving lighting bolts" that we realized, oh no, we aren't being too hard on this guy, he might actually just be a nazi.

Last Oasis Season 2: Where There's Smoke, There's Fire Edition

DrCaptainSir
Jan 29, 2008
Spartacus
It's time to play in the sand and harvest all the delicious salt from our enemies as we shove their walkers in the lava!

Come hop in, get geared up, establish a base, slap mans with crude weapons of sandy nomad creation and throw fire bombs that catch people on fire. Also harvesting lava by hand is a rite of passage.

:getin:

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

DrCaptainSir posted:

harvesting lava by hand is a rite of passage.

Making the two options for harvesting lava either "scream over and over as your dude slowly scoops lava into his flask by hand" and "easily slurp up 10k lava in your Camelot in 30 seconds" is a top-tier troll by DK

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
https://liverupucams.com S1 goon clan is considered the hero of Season 1 of Last Oasis, thanks to the video sponsored by MotoRocker who hired Gilbert Gottfried to endorse us against our war with FoE (Fist of the Empire)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZBfnW2v8Nc

This is the way we won the war...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVnXOoCS1VE

Tempus Thales fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Dec 27, 2020

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

poaching huts have made S2 even more amazing (i.e. even more not-not-good)

the fact I get to directly grief digital landlords by stealing what they steal, then turning it into ammo and structures to attack them with, is so great

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
everything I know about this game I learned from watching big idiot twitch man jonah veil suffer

if you can't melee, remember to bring your ONE SHOT BALLISTA

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
...Nalin isn't leading anymore? How desperate do you have to be before you put DCS in a leadership position?

DrCaptainSir
Jan 29, 2008
Spartacus

NaanViolence posted:

...Nalin isn't leading anymore? How desperate do you have to be before you put DCS in a leadership position?
Nalin is still In charge of Rupu Outreach and Manages our salt collection. And he is our resident Dauntless expert.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
i am free

or am i

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

DrCaptainSir posted:

Nalin is still In charge of Rupu Outreach and Manages our salt collection. And he is our resident Dauntless expert.

As I stood before the gaping abyss of the truly bad games, I turned around to see my Bad Games Crew friends crying out for me. "Don't do it!" they said. "It's just not worth it!"

But I'm Bad Games Crew to my very soul. I jump, and drown.

Jerry Garcia's Ghost
Jul 26, 2001
Will there be another wipe with coming of S3 and Xbox? SALT(y Xboxer pubie tears) IS THE SPICE OF LIFE

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Jerry Garcia's Ghost posted:

Will there be another wipe with coming of S3 and Xbox? SALT(y Xboxer pubie tears) IS THE SPICE OF LIFE

Probably? Donkey crew has given kind of mixed answers on if they're wiping. Either way it should be hilarious.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

If there's gonna be any hope for Xboxers and PC players being on somewhat level footing, it's gonna necessitate a wipe. It's still gonna be a slaughter, but at least it will cut down on 1 dimension of whining before they inevitably cordon off a safe zone.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Nalin posted:

As I stood before the gaping abyss of the truly bad games, I turned around to see my Bad Games Crew friends crying out for me. "Don't do it!" they said. "It's just not worth it!"

But I'm Bad Games Crew to my very soul. I jump and drown.

This is why you will be forever our Guild Leader...

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

NaanViolence posted:

We went from hivemind anarchic leadership to a democracy where the elected candidates were voted by the goonunism lead members of the guild. Every vote was counted three times, to make sure. It is why Davor won the elections but three other candidates stood in his place. Another example set by our fine members with horrible taste in games.

Besides Nalin's leadership was so great he deserved a vacation...

ChromiumCrush
Sep 6, 2010
Ya'll still kicking people when they don't play for a week?

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Is the game still unplayable as a solo expirience?

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

SweetBro posted:

Is the game still unplayable as a solo expirience?

it's WAY better than before but it's still punching yourself in the junk, more or less

like, it's way easier for a solo to grind up tabs now, but like, a solo can't really make use of a buffalo for example. but a solo earning themselves wingsuits, for example, that's very doable if not a chunk of time to pull off, because now fabs are not the sole source of tabs; for 5k flots you can buy tabs from randomly spawning merchants, and you can pick the tabs you want, *and* quests reward anywhere from a few hundred to 15k+ flots

stuff that's outside of a solo's realistic purview (e.g. unlocking 10 tabs just for bonebreaker to make long grapples) you can realistically buy if you just check trade stations, or buying a wingsuit from some other clan early on before unlocking your own

e: but if your goal is being a solo and making life harder for larger clans, you can do that with the magic of Poaching Huts (they let even a single person directly steal from the proxies of clans who hold tiles, based on the area your hut can intercept, and you can place as many of em as you can afford/hide without others killing them)

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 5, 2021

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Yeah to add to this we actually made a business of selling beltless grapples for the first few weeks, since you just need to buy it once and you're good to go. Probably made 20 tabs of profits off that alone.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

oooo big patch comin monday, small preview posted

https://twitter.com/OasisNomad/status/1354788694495014916/photo/1

S2 has been insanely fun, and LO has taken entire too many hours of my life between S1 and S2

like an idiot, I currently have faith that donkey crew can continue to improve the game

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

So from goons playing:

1) What have they done to fix the whole "big battles are just whoever logs in to clog the server first" problem.

2) Is there any reason to not go scorched earth and loot everyone you can yet?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Stormgale posted:

So from goons playing:

1) What have they done to fix the whole "big battles are just whoever logs in to clog the server first" problem.

Your clan gets reserved slots on the server and can buy even more reserved slots in an auction, so you can't get completely shut down.

Stormgale posted:

2) Is there any reason to not go scorched earth and loot everyone you can yet?

They did a few things.

1) They made it possible for players to build packable stone/concrete bases.
2) They made it a lot more time consuming to collect Rupu Gel for fire arrows as you have to actually spend the time to clear out the NPC camps before you are allowed to harvest it, which means there are less fire arrows sitting around.
3) They made it very, very costly to break into "solid" structures (the stone and concrete bases) as you need an item that is only sold in very low quantities by randomly spawned traders with a random inventory.
4) Gathering rates have been massively increased so collecting resources is not hard or time consuming.
5) You can buy the first 20 walker levels.
6) You can no longer see enemy walker levels.

All of these combined make it just not economically feasible to blow all your money on some dude's little poo poo shack or their walker. You gotta be way more selective in what you attack. We would often see people clear the walker deck and break in, but not bother with wasting resources to zero it as it isn't a punishing loss at all.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

also they buffed Lifeforce mod, it's now gamechanging and makes the game generally more fun as you can actually just move poo poo instead of doing like 4 trips to unpack a tinyass chest

50 lifeforce mods in a boat you respawn on boosts you from 100kg carryweight (200kg max) to 350kg (700kg max) (+50kg/100kg max to either if you drink desert mule, that's a flat 50kg not 50%)

combined with the tier boost to every gathering tool -- scythe 3->12, heavy rawbone from 3->5 (harvests q100 mats), adv hatchet 4->10, master pick 5->7, nibaxes ??->18 (which means 80% more over adv hatchet, or more than 300% the yield of a heavy rawbone handaxe -- farming and maint and stuff is way easier, plus wingsuiting around with your tools and collecting is a legit playstyle now and not just for like <100 units of material before you're overweight

plus, the maintenance chests are a huge and positive change. my dinghy has a single wood foundation packed inside it which holds:

1) a maintenance chest which can hold up to 150k (149 985 technically) mats across 15 slots (9 999 a slot) for any material that is used in any building material recipe (this is wood, fiber, stone, shafts, bone splinters, clay, cattail, ash, chitin, tar, and for some reason bone glue) -- this means that it's trivial to farm up ash or cattail or fiber into the 10s of thousands in <20 minutes if you have decent tools
2) a large chest which now holds up to 9600 (32 slots each holding 300)
3) a small walker packer in case I need to pick someone up (up to another dinghy in size) or just want to hotdrop a spider or something onto a tile and keep my dinghy lobbied (hostile tile farming/ratting)
4) a medium water bag (could hold multiple more of these or a large water bag, but water weight)
5) space for a woodworking station or stomper (I think I can actually hold both but tend to only use the woodworking station to make adhoc shafts if need be and I try to keep my piece count down for faster pack/unpack to use while farming without keeping it out)

also mods are no longer a terribly long grind thanks to merchants, they are still the hardest part to replace of any boat but no longer a crippling blow if you didn't want to spend 100s of hours frag farming in the hopes of maybe getting some decent mods

there are also multiple progression paths for tabs now (buy em for 5k flots a pop from random merchants, buy em from players cause they're already being sold at trade, luck out on windmills on ancient cities, or the original frags -> tabs -> shattered -> frags -> tabs)

and flots and trading are WAY more common now between the incentive to go to trade stations for quests (for flots for tabs as a worst-case no-fab-needed progression path) and the random auctions they added

overall they made the game a lot less tedious to play; you still have to be careful, but like nalin said coming back from losses is easier than ever, and even just the tedious poo poo of juggling boats and bases and logging out is kinda gone; logging out inside of a stone shack is *almost* (but not) as safe as lobbying so you can actually just drop a stone shack with a walker packer in it -> pack your walker and log off. unless someone REALLY wants to burn rare mats, they're not getting in there, plus stone shacks are such a common sight that it would have to be someone who knows they have to reason to crack your shack specifically

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 28, 2021

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Did they ever change it so private servers could have more than one tile? That decision was so stupid. Same for ATLAS.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

I don't really follow this game but my atlas friends said they've already ruined season 3 on the literal first day by splitting the playerbase with small tribes servers

yikes if true

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Ad by Khad posted:

I don't really follow this game but my atlas friends said they've already ruined season 3 on the literal first day by splitting the playerbase with small tribes servers

yikes if true

They are basically experimenting with a Rust server model this season. I mean, the only survival games that seem to stand the test of time are the ones that split people up like so and have dedicated servers (which they have also confirmed for this year).

Their reasoning is that they just cannot find a way to balance the game for large groups and small groups as an MMO. They've tried many different mechanics in closed and open beta, but at the end of the day nothing was successful in preventing large groups from just farming solos and small teams for sport.

We'll see how it goes this time.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Hey if you're fine with it cool, this genre has a lot of exaggerating doomsayers

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

That actually makes me want to maybe try it out again

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Mostly I'm just cackling at how much suffering Uganda is in right now

We already crushed their big atlas return plans for season 6 before the season even started when their good pvpers told Billy they were staying with us rather than re-joining UG

So Uganda pivoted to like, hey maybe we just stay in LO instead and then this happened, doubling up on their misery

I'm not trying to derail this thread away from LO talk but they are just having a hilariously bad week

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Yeah it seems that splitting server size might be the only way to keep things healthy, as Nalin said rust etc have a small enough community on a server you can set the rules to keep things understood at least. This seems to be their version of that to set expectations. I think it'd be fun cause im not sure how they could avoid people just blobbing.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Anyone still playing this? I got it in the humble bundle

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

err posted:

Anyone still playing this? I got it in the humble bundle

We are all in starbase now.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.
Beta for season 5 is tomorrow. They're trying basically a complete overhaul to do more of an EVE style pve and pvp map split and also making gathering stuff more focused on fighting the monkey people in bigger camps or forts with your walkers rather than clicking trees with an axe forever. Fragments are gone, and instead there are consumable schematics which is intended to make it more costly for big groups to make the high tier stuff while making it about the same for smaller groups as before. A bunch of relatively fundamental stuff is being changed in general and details right now are fairly sparse. Also there won't be 300 servers to split people across. You can read more on their dev logs via steam: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/903950

Main SA group is in Sandcastle Kicker discord here: https://discord.gg/pZGPdmrcCC

We're setting up to ally with some of the other small groups we played with before that were alright.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 5, 2022

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Oh man... do I want to get dragged back in? Hmmmm...

Also, looks like they are getting rid of the burn? Not sure how to feel about that. On the one hand it was one of the things that made the game truly unique. On the other hand it mostly just made it a giant pain in the rear end for weekend warriors like myself.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.
It's a 48 hour, one map type, pve only beta that ends in about 30 hours from this post so not a huge impetus to come back right now unless you want a rough first look at what they're doing. People's feelings about this specific 48 hour beta have been not so great generally and I think something is going to change with the balance at least.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
More emphasis on things to do is great. More emphasis on typical survival game stuff is okay, I guess. But they turned 90 degrees and drove off the bridge when it came to the grind. It took me like 5-6 hours to build myself a base, get all the basic crafting stations, get all the tools, and build a Firefly with wings. Everything seems to be horribly deadlocked around wood now. You get like 7 wood per tree and that will burn long enough in a fire to produce 1 water (out of 10 cactus). Your bottle also holds 2 water (which is 50% of your water meter) so you can't really journey far from your base for very long. Run out, do about 2 Rupu camps, and run back for more water.

They need to course correct on the survival grind because the scale has tipped way too far to the point where it is just not fun since you make baby steps of progress.

S5 won't launch for a couple months yet so hopefully they take this feedback into account for the next beta sessions.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 6, 2022

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

I saw somewhere that you can’t grapple onto trees anymore, is that true? The game was basically just a Spider-Man sim to me so if so that’s truly tragic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nakieon
Aug 28, 2020

Game is suuuuuuuper tedious and grindy now. Their latest devblog asked the question, "are you having fun?"

No, no I am not.