Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

The only RC thread I see is for aerial vehicles so here's one for cars and trucks. I don't know enough to make an awesome informative OP with tons of content so this is what you get.

When I was about fourteen years old, my parents bought me a decent hobby grade RC car. I can't recall exactly what it was, but it was on the level of a Team Associated RC10. After falling into a state of neglect, I gave it away to someone. Now, some thirty years later, I am somewhat embarrassed to find myself wanting to get a fun vehicle to mess around with when I'm outside with my kids. In other words, this is what my mid-life crisis looks like. I thought it was the purchase of a handmade 26" BMX cruiser bike about ten years ago, but apparently that was a false positive.

For the last couple days, I had an Arrma Granite Voltage in and out of my Amazon cart and actually ordered it and then canceled the order yesterday after having second, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth thoughts about the purchase. If it came with a full set of batteries it would be easier to swallow, but it only comes with two 18650 batteries, and buying more of those, along with a charger would cost about $70, bringing an impulse purchase to $170. I wouldn't mind spending $170, but I'd rather get a faster, tougher vehicle for that amount.

I also considered a WLToys 144001, which is a pretty well-regarded Chinese line of cars. Reports of the front wheels being fragile concern me a little with that one. I wouldn't be taking it to skate parks or anything, but I read one report of a dude who had his front wheel break off after hitting a small chunk of ice on the road.

What I want vs what I'm willing to spend doesn't jive. The run time of the out-of-the-box Arrma with the supplied two batteries will be 5-9 minutes, which is silly and I wouldn't be stoked to even bother with it in most cases. I want something that will run for at least twenty minutes and be capable of 25+ MPH speeds.

I think I'd be willing to spend up to $200 for something that meets those specs. My main passion is biking, and like that sport, RC cars come with a high entry cost if you want something fast and tough with decent run times.

The other one which half-tempted me is the Axial SCX24, due to both its small size, affordable price, and the form factor (the pickup body is so cool). But a crawler sounds boring to me. I like things that go fast. I also don't have the time or inclination to spend hours building intricate obstacle courses. I have a really good backyard currently for a crawler, but we rent our house and we'll be in a new yard this coming summer.

I'd like to get something off Amazon since I was given $100 Bezos Bucks to spend on the site and nothing else really tickles my fancy there. I could be swayed into buying from another site for the right deal. I don't have any hobby RC shops near me.

Does anyone have experience with RC cars? I would love to hear thoughts from others. I really don't have a clear understanding of the performance differences between a short course truck, a stadium truck, and a truggy. Also, LiPo batteries scare the poo poo out of me after reading up on them. Most people store them in a loving fire-proof bag, which is pretty intimidating.

Well... an update a day later in case anyone sees this post.

I wound up caving and nearly quadrupled the amount I wanted to spend, once batteries were factored in and I bought an Arrma Big Rock 3S brushless truck.

It's scary fast.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU