Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

A Hat in Time is a "cute-as-heck" 3D collectathon platformer starring Hat Kid, a humanlike space alien who finds herself stranded after her spaceship's fuel, Time Pieces, are spilled and scattered across a strange planet.

In this Let's Play, I will be finishing the game to 110% completion. This means collecting all 56 Time Pieces (40 from the base game and a combined 16 from the two DLC worlds), and completing all 114 Death Wishes; extremely difficult optional challenges added in the first DLC pack. I'll be getting most of the other collectables as well, but may miss a yarn ball here and there. There are significantly more of them than you need to craft every hat in the game, and they don't count towards your final completion score.

I grew up playing N64 and PS1 games and still consider the collectathon platformer to be one of my favorite game genres. A Hat in Time does a fantastic job of capturing the magic of N64 and Gamecube era platformers, while learning from the mistakes of its predecessors. The highest praise I can offer A Hat in Time is that it's as good as I remember Banjo-Kazooie and Mario 64 being when I was a kid. This game is easily one of the best of its genre, and if I'm being honest, might be my favorite game I've ever played. I hope you'll join me as we look at this incredible revival of the collectathon genre.

Act 1: Welcome to Mafia Town
Act 2: Roaming Through Mafia Town
Act 3: Battle of the Birds
Act 4: Rift Roundup
Act 5: Subcon Forest
Act 6: The Annual Bird Movie Award
Act 7: Vanessa's Manor
Act 8: Death Wish
Death Wish: No One is Around to Help
Act 9: Alpine Skyline
Act 10: The Illness Has Spread
Act 11: The Golden Vault
Death Wish: Life is Hard, Life is Stressful
Act 12: Bon Voyage!
Act 13: Rock the Boat
Death Wish: I Need Peace and Tranquility
Act 14: The Nyakuza Metro
Act 15: Rush Hour
Act 16: You Are All Bad Guys
Death Wish: I Don't Have to Prove Myself to Anyone
Act 17: Tour
Mod Showcase
Death Wish: Have a Cool Day!
Death Wish: Presto! This Death Wish is now Harder!

Extra: The Food of the Metro
Extra: Collecting 51 Stickers
Extra: Cruisin' for a Bruisin'

Hamsterlady fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Act 1: Welcome to Mafia Town

In this video we meet Mustache Girl and learn how Mafia works.

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
GUH HUH

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I played this way back and bounced off Mafia town initially. But I made myself come back at the beginning of this year to play it and I have to concur, it's as good as BK is and that puts it up somewhere in my top 10 games of all time. It's just such a joy to play in every way.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Yes! I'm so happy to see this! I love this game's sense of humor and its adorable aesthetic. I'm not much of a collectathon player, but I'll be watching this eagerly.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Couple of days late but

because clearly the only girl better than Mustache Girl is Santa Mustache Girl.

A Hat in Time is super cute, and also taught me that I am bad at platforms and collecting.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I didn't know there were un-original hat-based platformers.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I love this game so much. It definitely scratches that 3D collectathon itch in a real good way.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

PurpleXVI posted:

I didn't know there were un-original hat-based platformers.

There is another hat-based 3D collectathon platformer that came out in October 2017. I am sure it was developed in three weeks as an answer to A Hat in Time.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Looking forward to this LP.

I picked up this game a year or so ago after seeing it at a GDQ and it's super fun; I'm not really a collector but the game flows perfectly fine even just picking up the yarn and stuff you naturally come across.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Fantastic, there was an LP of this a couple of years back that sadly died unfinished and it really deserves to be shown off fully.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
This game is delightful, I'm looking forward to this LP!

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
A hat in time is extremely good. It’s honestly not fair how good it is, or that there aren’t more games like it. Everyone should play it but especially everyone that grew up on N64 platformy collectathons

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Great game, especially since I'm kinda cold on the big N64 collectathon genre. I keep seeing it in my library and thinking I should replay it but I have so many games in the queue that it'll never happen, this'll be a good way to revisit it.

e:

Xerophyte posted:

Couple of days late but

That's really drat good!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
To be fair, Mario 64 has not aged well at all in terms of controls and how each star boots you out of the levels despite the levels not changing between missions. Even Sunshine has issues such as how certain missions are more important than others and how blue coins are handled.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Chimera-gui posted:

To be fair, Mario 64 has not aged well at all in terms of controls and how each star boots you out of the levels despite the levels not changing between missions. Even Sunshine has issues such as how certain missions are more important than others and how blue coins are handled.

Oh yeah, it's definitely a mix of aging and design ethos for me. I loved Mario 64 back in the day, but I didn't love the ones that leaned more into collectables even back then. I'm not sure what all this game does that makes me like it so much more, aside from being newer and cute as heck.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Instant follow, I love this game :allears:

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Yeah, I put emphasis on this game being as good as I remember N64 platformers being because they were products of their time, and when they were new they were incredible and revolutionary.

A Hat in Time I think just does a really good job of looking at what parts of those games held up and carrying them over while dropping the parts that didn't. An example the developers gave in an interview is that they love Mario Sunshine, but it had issues like an excessive amount of boring and repetitive red coin challenges. So they just didn't put red coins in their game. They avoid collectibles that exist solely to be collected like a lot of Rare games were full of, and only require 25 Time Pieces to access the final level because maybe the player doesn't actually want to 100% or nearly 100% their game. They clearly put a lot of thought into how to adapt a collectathon into a modern game that can stand on its own without needing to lean on nostalgia, and I think they managed to accomplish this perfectly.

You can compare it to a certain other Kickstarted 3D platformer released in 2017, which carried over all the design of the games it was trying to replicate, both good and bad. I actually like Yooka-Laylee, because it's more Banjo-Tooie, and I really like Banjo-Tooie. But they didn't learn from the mistakes those older games made and just put out a Nintendo 64 game in 2017. It feels poorly aged despite being brand new, and I think A Hat in Time manages to avoid that problem.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
See I grew up on Crash 2 and 3, the Spyro trilogy, Medievil 1 and 2, A Bug's Life and Atlantis as my 3D platformers of choice with Rachet and Clank, Jak trilogy, Sly 1, Ty 1 and Ape Escape 3 during my teens.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

AHIT is an excellent game. On top of all the mechanics, it's just so charming. The little narration boxes - like the one for the microwave there - are usually very funny. And Hat Kid is adorable.

And for all the times I've played through it, I only just now got the joke in calling them time pieces.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Red riding hood kid sounds like the V.A. of Cunoesse.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Are any worlds more open? In Mario 64 often you could just go into a world and explore it for a star, though some would require selecting them from the entrance menu like you're doing here.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

rchandra posted:

Are any worlds more open? In Mario 64 often you could just go into a world and explore it for a star, though some would require selecting them from the entrance menu like you're doing here.

Yes. The second world is even less open than Mafia Town, but the third one does actually let you wander off and collect Time Pieces you aren't presently in the act for (this isn't terribly obvious, but it wasn't necessarily obvious in Mario 64 that you could get other stars), and the fourth world is very open, along with the second DLC world. The game has a pretty good mix of Mario Sunshine style "the entire world changes for every act" and Mario 64 style "you're just in this world and while you're given an objective, you could go do a different one if you want"

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Act 2: Roaming Through Mafia Town

In this video we explore Mafia Town in a bit more detail and get an introduction to Time Rifts.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
To be fair, there are specific design characteristics that make water levels bad which can be easily avoided: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmtt6wtLIgE

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
I am here for chair-based content

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

I want Hat Kid to try everything vaguely resembling a sitting place and I am sad that cheeseburger chair isn't one of them.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

The light bulb might be a reference to OneShot. It wouldn't be the only one.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

NHO posted:

I want Hat Kid to try everything vaguely resembling a sitting place and I am sad that cheeseburger chair isn't one of them.

Yes aboslutely. Though I think we are to be disappointed, as the whole LP is recorded already? We'll just have to get it and sit for ourselves. 50% off until... yesterday? Curses!

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

rchandra posted:

Yes aboslutely. Though I think we are to be disappointed, as the whole LP is recorded already? We'll just have to get it and sit for ourselves. 50% off until... yesterday? Curses!

Yeah. The commentary hasn't been recorded, but I have all the raw footage finished. Maybe I'll awkwardly cut in footage of Hat Kid sitting in chairs, or a compilation video of every chair in the game.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
You used to be able to use the umbrella to glide in the air, but that has been cut out. Presumable because that feature slowed the game down. It does explain why hat kid got an umbrella though, gliding in air with an umbrella is a video game staple. The third world also has one major character removed and apparently the story has been greatly simplified.

It seems the game developers knew when to use the delete tool. A repair the timeline story would have been great had the writers pulled it off, but a simple storyline that's within the writer's ability is better than a complex one that above the writer's ability. Write at your own skill level.

I wonder why hatgirl has time manipulating devices as a fuel source though. That does not seem like the intuitive choice for powering electronics and rockets.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Crystalgate posted:

I wonder why hatgirl has time manipulating devices as a fuel source though. That does not seem like the intuitive choice for powering electronics and rockets.

That's because you don't come from a civilization that has time manipulating technology.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Crystalgate posted:

Well see an Alcubierre drive in fact implies backwards travel through time for some observers in the exterior 3,1 Lorentzian manifold and furthermore :techno:

Next you'll tell me that your local metropolitan area of ethnic organized crime doesn't have giant lava faucets.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Nah, it's nothing goofy like that. Gas is just really expensive in hat land so they just keep sending the tank back in time to when it was full to pad out the mileage hybrid car style.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's simple, really. Your speed through the universe is actually constant, but the more you move in space the less you move in time and vice versa. So by slowing down your travel through time, you go through way more space.

You just need to give it a push to start. I like to imagine there's some pedals somewhere.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Act 3: Battle of the Birds

In this video we solve a murder and become a diva.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

White Coke posted:

That's because you don't come from a civilization that has time manipulating technology.
To be honest, that answer actually makes perfect sense. Maybe the people with time manipulating technology can use it to live very long, say they reverse their bodies time, but can upload and transfer their memories from their older selves back. If so, then perhaps they need to manipulate time to prevent energy usage from increasing entropy, a real concern for immortals. This is just something I threw out and is highly unlikely to be cannon, but it does make sense that a time manipulating civilization would end up using time manipulation for everything, just like we use electricity for more and more, including paying for stuff.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Gosh this game is so cute.

Fun little note: The achievement for putting in a swear also triggers if you answer "peck" to any of the crows' questions.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Sly Cooper is definitely one of the better examples of stealth in a platformer which is good as stealth is a central mechanic of the franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I can't believe Hat Girl would just straight up murder someone. Oh the birdmanity.