Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Co-created by Simon Kinberg. Great way to ensure I will never watch your show ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

duck monster posted:

I'm a bit torn on this one. The Cinematography , direction, writing, and acting are all top notch. Everything on paper says this is a great show.

But I'm bored. Its pacing is so glacially slow, it almost feels like this things just a bunch of snapshots in the days of the lives of people in the end-times. Three episodes of almost nothing happening except some weird poo poo.

I guess I'll have to hold out and see where this goes. But slow starts kill series dead. People complain that the Expanse starts too slow so they never followed through to realise the world of amazing TV at the end of that "slow" start up, but poo poo, *lots* of things happen in those first few episode. This? Its just sad people and weird things. Maybe it'll pick up steam and start being a story, but its sabotaged itself hard with this slow as treacle pacing.

Wonder if that's an Apple+ thing, your first two paragraphs sound a lot like Foundation. It's awesome in basically every way except it's boring. Which I would say is the writing not being awesome though. I don't know how they managed to make Foundation, a book series that goes almost blisteringly fast as far as 'sci fi mostly about people sitting around talking about what they should do' can be, and cram it full of boring subplots and dedicate so much screen time to the most bland characters and minutiae. There's tons of great actors that barely get to do anything. The interesting plot hooks and cliffhangers that they take ages to get back to make watching the rest of the show in between feel like sitting through a commercial.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

OnlyBans posted:

Unless you are a gun nut no one gives a poo poo. It looks fine.

I mean if you're catering to a US audience... :v:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

https://deadline.com/2021/10/abcs-the-rookie-bans-live-gunfire-on-set-fatal-rust-shooting-alec-baldwin-1234861100/

I would expect other shows to follow suit. Not only is it the right thing to do, I would expect talent to start shying away from productions the use them.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They should all just shout "Bang! Bang!" instead of firing the guns imo

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

bull3964 posted:

https://deadline.com/2021/10/abcs-the-rookie-bans-live-gunfire-on-set-fatal-rust-shooting-alec-baldwin-1234861100/

I would expect other shows to follow suit. Not only is it the right thing to do, I would expect talent to start shying away from productions the use them.

The only argument for using live rounds (blanks) is that the recoil is more realistic and I am just shocked that no one has made fake guns with a spring-loaded weight in the barrel to simulate the recoil.

Like, that couldn’t take a prop crew a day to make, right?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Arist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26y9H2ZLf0w&t=44s

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, there's enough market out there to be a whole industry. Either spring loaded or some sort of electric haptic motor.

Imagine a programmable haptic module that can be set to give you whatever level of recoil you needed.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

The only argument for using live rounds (blanks) is that the recoil is more realistic and I am just shocked that no one has made fake guns with a spring-loaded weight in the barrel to simulate the recoil.

They have airsoft guns like that

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Not to go down a rabbit hole, but since this whole thing with Rust just happened, it seems like there are a zillion airsoft firearms that use "green gas" (I guess it's lower pressure than CO2 gas or something?) to operate. They look realistic enough, are cheap, can't fire bullets, and can even eject fake "shells". It doesn't seem like there's a good reason to use actual firearms nowadays.

There, close enough--throw some fake CGI muzzle flash on it and call it a day.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Eric Kripke also vows no more live guns, blanks included, on his sets.

https://movieweb.com/the-boys-eric-kripke-no-guns-pledge/

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

duck monster posted:

I'm a bit torn on this one. The Cinematography , direction, writing, and acting are all top notch. Everything on paper says this is a great show.

But I'm bored. Its pacing is so glacially slow, it almost feels like this things just a bunch of snapshots in the days of the lives of people in the end-times. Three episodes of almost nothing happening except some weird poo poo.

I guess I'll have to hold out and see where this goes. But slow starts kill series dead. People complain that the Expanse starts too slow so they never followed through to realise the world of amazing TV at the end of that "slow" start up, but poo poo, *lots* of things happen in those first few episode. This? Its just sad people and weird things. Maybe it'll pick up steam and start being a story, but its sabotaged itself hard with this slow as treacle pacing.

It’s fine for me so idk?

It’s not mind blowing or anything but I enjoyed the first 3 episodes, especially the last one. I liked how War of their Worlds (on Starz) did a similar thing by slowly introducing things and this is maybe one episode behind the pacing for that.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Yeah the gas powered airsoft rifles have legit recoil, probably equivalent to a .22-9mm conversion if it's a bigger one. Better than nothing and they look real

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Yeah or at least not hiring a 24 year old who is leaving real bullets loaded in the prop guns for whatever reason.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
"Live" in this context means blanks

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Michael Sheen in The Good Fight is one of the best performances ever

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0ckayIuI4s

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

"Live" in this context means blanks

People from set are saying the armorer was using the guns for target practice between takes and left actual bullets in them.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
drat this Chuck episode is guest starring Reginald VelJohnson and Michael Rooker!

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Escobarbarian posted:

Michael Sheen in The Good Fight is one of the best performances ever

agreed, his character is such a dumpster fire and it's great :allears: probably my favorite guest appearance on that show

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

pentyne posted:

People from set are saying the armorer was using the guns for target practice between takes and left actual bullets in them.

???

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Arist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT-yKPE2deQ&t=25s

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

HOLY gently caress posted:

agreed, his character is such a dumpster fire and it's great :allears: probably my favorite guest appearance on that show

It’s a really good show. I love how season 3 is making things more complex. And I’m at the point where Rose Leslie’s character is getting written out which is cool cos she was a pretty bad character tbf

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s a really good show. I love how season 3 is making things more complex. And I’m at the point where Rose Leslie’s character is getting written out which is cool cos she was a pretty bad character tbf

I didn’t dislike her character but she’s just so flat compared to everyone else. Like everyone else is way more interesting.

I need to catch up with it now, I had to stop watching when the paramount plus app kept loving up and doing some kind of boot loop poo poo :smith: it is the least stable of all the streaming apps I have and has behaved like this on three devices now

Edit: HA! I got it to work again! now I can catch up on Evil too :unsmith:

HOLY FUCK fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 24, 2021

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

pentyne posted:

The only way this could be true, at least in my thinking, is if this new-to-the-industry armorer is one of those gung-ho 2nd amendment at all costs kind of nuts; pretty sure debris in the barrel launched by a blank is how Brandon Lee died, and if so it seems unlikely they would be anywhere close to a movie set. Then again, it seems like the union guys walked off set due to recklessness about this particular gun that 'misfired' multiple times. Some fool using an actual movie property gun at the firing range with actual ammo just seems like the dumbest thing that shouldn't ever happen.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Invasion is some tedious, tedious poo poo.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Sekhmnet posted:

The only way this could be true, at least in my thinking, is if this new-to-the-industry armorer is one of those gung-ho 2nd amendment at all costs kind of nuts; pretty sure debris in the barrel launched by a blank is how Brandon Lee died, and if so it seems unlikely they would be anywhere close to a movie set. Then again, it seems like the union guys walked off set due to recklessness about this particular gun that 'misfired' multiple times. Some fool using an actual movie property gun at the firing range with actual ammo just seems like the dumbest thing that shouldn't ever happen.

While all early indications are pointing to a squib fire from a “live” blank round, there have been multiple reports of actual ammunition being on the production site and the (scab) armorer doing absurd things like telling the actors to “just shoot a couple times at the landscape.”

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
been watching CSI Vegas and kinda likeing it....

I love that they kept most all of the production value of the original with the crazy transitions, flashback sequences, quick cuts to the CGI. it really does feel like an extension of the original series rather than a reboot. also I remembered that CSI Cyber existed and it makes me laugh

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

i feel like another year or two and this game will finally be playable good on emulator and i can finally see wtf

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

i completed mgs4 and i have no memory of that or what is even happening there.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

While all early indications are pointing to a squib fire from a “live” blank round, there have been multiple reports of actual ammunition being on the production site and the (scab) armorer doing absurd things like telling the actors to “just shoot a couple times at the landscape.”

Jesen Ackles mentioned the armorer asked him about his gun training/safety, and when he said "almost none" she gave him a loaded gun, said point it towards the desert, and let off a few shots.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Khanstant posted:

i feel like another year or two and this game will finally be playable good on emulator and i can finally see wtf

I wish I could tell you it was all a blooper scene like one of those many wacky MSG3 videos and not a dead serious scene, but uh...

See you in two years!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That scene excites me, it's a good wtf, I assume I will greatly appreciate it once I have the context or maybe the context won't help and that will make me like it more somehow.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

pentyne posted:

Jesen Ackles mentioned the armorer asked him about his gun training/safety, and when he said "almost none" she gave him a loaded gun, said point it towards the desert, and let off a few shots.

Dude had like 36 years on Supernatural, I would have thought some basics came up over time.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Mulva posted:

Dude had like 36 years on Supernatural, I would have thought some basics came up over time.

if he wasn't confident in his current level of firearms safety/proficiency I think what he said is entirely reasonable

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

duck monster posted:

Really think they should have released the whole thing at once. I'm with you, after 3 episodes i'll probably check out the 4th but if its the same pace i might give up

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Google Butt posted:

if he wasn't confident in his current level of firearms safety/proficiency I think what he said is entirely reasonable

It's just an interesting snap shot of things, that someone that spent a decade and a half solid using all sorts of prop guns in all sorts of situations on an almost daily basis still considers their training level practically nil. He's either humble or they really don't give people any prep work.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Chris Meloni is in the movie version of 12 Monkeys and he looks mostly the same except he has a full head of hair, which just looks weird on him.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Slamhound posted:

Invasion is some tedious, tedious poo poo.
Thanks for the feedback. I was wondering whether I should give it a try. I guess not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Invasion creator is the director of Dark Phoenix. That’s all you need to know.