Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'm finally getting around to His Dark Materials Season 2. Surprised there wasn't a thread about it.

Anyway it continues to be a good adaption of the books, and all the child characters are good actors. The only performance I don't buy is Lin Manuel Miranda's. He's hilariously miscast in his role as a scruffy aeronaut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Shadow and Bone is probably too YA for my tastes but these film studies make me want to watch it. Unfortunately the real thing isn’t this vibrant.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ArchApolar/status/1388386339482050560

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Annabel Pee posted:

Just came here to post this, wasn’t a fan of his old stuff but this was amazing. Hit a bit too close to home seeing the lockdown related depression stuff.

Yeah Bo Burnhams new special is good! I mean, I’ve liked al this stuff a fair bit but this had some really good parts. He even seems like he could transition into a Father John Misty type performer as he ages.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Creamerie ended this week.

loving excellent black comedy about a trio of New Zealand women dealing with a Y The Last Man type situation. Really excellent writing and casting, and with a plot that frequently surprised me -- on one level it's a satire of the kind of very exclusionary, very lovely thinking that characterised the worst of White Feminism, while on another level it's a small town comedy drama, and on another level it's, well... I don't really want to spoil it.

The way the show builds its science-fiction setting out of a few little hints (no one seems to have money, everyone uses landlines, the subtle implications about who the society considers underisable and how it treats them) is really quite impressive. And it's surprisingly tense: the trailer spoils more than it should, and I'm glad I didn't see it before watching the show, but this show goes to some dark places.

The final scene is a touch ludicrous, and the show is obviously banking on being renewed in order to tell its complete story. But it's very good: funny and nuanced, with some very impressive performances -- particularly from Tandi Wright, Rachel House (holy poo poo she should be way more famous than she is) and Perlina Lau.

If you haven't seen it, you should check it out. Still my vote for the best new show of the year.

If you want to watch it, it's streaming in some places. But it's the kind of show that's probably on Dailymotion, or smth. I dunno.

This sounds really good! I’ll try to find it somewhere.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 3, 2021

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

I mean, one of the recurring things in the show is that the company treats its regular employees like total poo poo, and that the unseen corporate heads in Montreal are only ever in an antagonist role, I don't think the show is 100% pro-Ubisoft propaganda.

Probably Ubi requires certain namedrops or otherwise gets to give some notes but it seems they've managed to otherwise keep them at arms length. Before anything they have to make an entertaining show that doesn't feel like its pandering to corporate overlords. Apple also probably gets to strike off anything that appears to be blatant Ubi marketing.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

My gut reaction is that this gonna be bad. But it could just be the trailer doing it a disservice. The visuals look alright. Almost thought I was looking at Brock Samson.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I Think You Should Leave season 2 has hit Netflix.

gently caress yes.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 6, 2021

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

No way thanks for posting about this in here for the first time

Yeah no problem.

Biggest issue with this season is how it flies by. 16 minute episodes make for easy viewing but I’m so used to Netflix series using the streaming format to bloat their runtime rather than just go with whatever works. Now to wait 2 years for season 3 which I’m sure I’ll also be late to post about.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I just watched the Tables sketch again. That actress is a genius.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I found a way to watch Creamerie which someone recommended many pages back. It’s very good. The Gweneth Paltrow wellness woman is so hateable and the 3 protags are each amazing in their own way.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Their cult seems so small in numbers. The way they talk about the group you'd think they control the whole world. but I feel like we've seen maybe a dozen of them at once at most and that's including the enforcers. Probably due to filming in covid.

It was believable to me because maybe a lot of people died off after the apocalypse basically happened. Plus it’s occurring in rural New Zealand.

I just finished binging it and wasn’t a big fan of the ending. I thought it was a limited series but they set up for a season 2 that may not ever happen so that puts a bit of a damper on how I’d recommend it. I did enjoy it overall and the acting was excellent though.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I’m watching the second season of Back starring Mitchell and Webb. The way it’s impossible to tell whether Webb’s character is actually a master manipulator and basically evil or just a sort of desperate man who is well intentioned is infuriating but makes for excellent drama.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 11, 2021

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

I just caught up on Kevin Can F**k Himself and I'm really curious if we ever see the real Kevin. Early on I wasn't sure how to take him. A lovely husband and selfish rear end, sure. But then the episode where Allison opens up to Patty kind of opened my eyes along with hers. The stuff Kevin does in the sitcom format sucks but also gets watered down. But the way Allison describes it in the dark real world suddenly takes a much more sinister tone. Suddenly I'm watching all those sitcom scenes and wondering is Kevin yelling? Is he threatening her? How rough is this? What does Kevin even look like? Its interesting we've never seen his dad or Neil in the real world either. They're this goofy sitcom crew when we see them, but the real world version of that could be so much uglier.

That's obviously the point and the show does a really great job with it. I'm just curious if they every show us reality and I'm really nervous and curious to see how horrible that reality is.

Yeah I watched the first episode and it’s hard to get a handle on how awful he actually is. It’s tough to watch regardless. Kind of makes me want to skip to the finale

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'm curious about Wheel of Time. I never read the books and am not about to, despite being a big fantasy fan. I can't do the whole "farmboy who might be the chosen one" thing. But I can sit through a couple hours of tv to see if they've made something of the story. If it seems interesting maybe I'll keep watching.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

That sucks, I liked a fair amount of their sketches and Moore had great screen presence. Unfortunately they didn’t have much luck in breaking into the big time, I saw their film Ms March in theatres as a teenager and it was awful. A lot of the sketches still hold up though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

CeeJee posted:

I agree, a show like Succession is also about rich people being terrible but there is a lot more happening there then double booked suites and a lovely marriage. The look also reminds me a lot of The Pacific which had a similar ugly filter to make sure the beautiful scenery did not clash with the ugliness of the events.

Yeah I’m split on White Lotus. It does not grab me like Succession but I still get a huge sense of foreboding so I want to see where that’s headed