Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

This sounded so stupid at first, because what even would that be? Turns out it's just another show unrelated to bitcoin bullshit but they plan to sell people jpegs of frames of a show I'm sure will be digitally created anyway as if they were like actually unique hand drawn cells and not 1s and 0s anyone can just make a perfect copy of and also burn down 12 acres of rainforest.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I had a really dim opinion of that guy after seeing the Rick and Morty unaired pilot but that's somehow worse.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Chairman Capone posted:

I'm actually surprised he wasn't credited on that since it sounds a bit like a recycled idea from Dollhouse. The two post-apocalyptic future-set season finales.

It also felt a bit like Out of Gas. I can't believe the show found a way to be even more Wheadon-y, but it did.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Simone Magus posted:

It's an easy call to make because Woody Allen movies are all terrible

Yes, the better example in that area is maybe Roman Polanski?

Anyway, it probably is true that there's some awful people working on everything of any real scale. I don't know what we do about that other then figure out where our personal line is.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DrVenkman posted:

This is what Simon said in the middle of rioting over Freddie Gray's death

This was also echoed by Gray's family by the way. So gently caress them too I guess. Essentially the point is that riots are used for justification to not give people what they're asking for.

Being peaceful and obedient hasn't worked, at least people paid attention when rich people's poo poo got burned. No support from Annapolis? Never has been, why would that change if they didn't riot?

The city had been systematically disinvested in for as long as I can remember. Google maryland red line. Our rear end in a top hat gov killed a light rail project that would've been really good for the city so he could shunt the money towards expanding highways in richer, whiter parts of the state. Tip of the iceberg there too.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I'm sorry I only accept the OED definition of copaganda.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

This seems like making up a guy to get mad at, because I've never heard that, but setting that aside, proclaiming any cop show that isn't explicitly about police abolition to be copaganda is, uh, well it's an extremely fringe position.

But not necessarily entirely incorrect.

What would we call it then, to tacitly support a thing through representation? I'm genuinely asking because I think the term copaganda would be better applied to shows like, SVU. But all the same, portraying a thing as it currently exists as a necessary part of society does on some level support that thing as it currently exists. Copalaboration? Really rolls of the tongue doesn't it?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The Wire is a good show, and you should watch it if you haven't.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

X-O posted:

I've heard that excuse more times than I can count and it still remains a lovely excuse. Making the lead of your show completely uncompelling on purpose is even dumber than him being a bad actor. And it's not even true. I've seen him in other stuff, he's just bad.

He gets better, but not by that much, and certainly not enough to justify anything near that behavior (nothing would, of course) . That dog was the best part of the show and he made it bite him? Should've fired him and promoted the dog.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

X-O posted:

I get the point about children being fed the wrong messages when they are young but that doesn't just apply to the morality of cop shows or even TV in a broader sense. I don't care who you are, you're indoctrinated as a child with some kind of wrong message. Everyone is. The point is that you grow up learn it's either wrong or a fantasy. I can easily enjoy cop shows because I know they're not real and I don't need them to be real. Sure it's great that some do reflect reality but I'm a grown person that enjoys entertainment as just that sometimes. I can enjoy Brooklyn Nine-Nine just as much as I can enjoy watching something like Friday The 13th. Doesn't mean I'm pro hockey masked killers at summer camps butchering teenagers.

Get back to us when hockey masked killers are a real thing that happens every day to real actual people I guess?

Watch Brooklyn 99, who cares? It's a funny show, but we can also recognize that it has problems. I know you understand that, of course, so maybe you're not the one that needs to hear that maybe we should think twice about constantly portraying an institution that routinely violates the rights of and murders innocent people, often based on race, as an absolute necessity to prevent total chaos that is not only above reproach, but is actually held back by civil rights and due process. But maybe we should talk about it so the people that do need to hear it think about it? Because indoctrination doesn't stop when people grow up, or we wouldn't have a lot of the problems we do.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

Here's the crux of my problem, this copaganda thing is just another furtherance of the idea that the most important quality by which a piece of art must be evaluated is its ethical position.

I don't think I saw anyone say that? It's a quality though, and one that is often just uncritically accepted, which is what we're taking about.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

You know where the "CSI effect" came from? A bunch of prosecutors and cops whining about not being able to win cases. In fact, the overall acquittal rate in America has gone down since the show came out.

Ok, so then people obviously believe the poo poo they see on csi then?

But here's the thing, almost no cases even go to trial, like a vanishingly small percentage, so any whining you hear basically is catastrophic stupidity or in bad faith. There's also the very prevalent assumption that if you've been charged with a crime you must be guilty, because why else would you have been arrested and charged? This fear is leveraged by prosecutors, of course.

So yeah, I really can't see juries expecting science magic as a problem, most people never get one.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

But the lack of trials is a good point, but individuals are represented by counsel who are advising them to take deals.

Counsel that skimmed their file in 2 minutes outside the door.

E: but this really has nothing to do with tv and everything to do with everything being utterly broken.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

bull3964 posted:

I mean, she already starred in one of the greatest scifi series of all time, where else is there to go?

I can't tell which scifi thing I absolutely loving love that you're throwing shade at here but she's probably the weakest link in all of them so I'm still mad! That being said, she's fine.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

Stargate would be ideal.

I just don't know what that would be though. I really don't want a continuation of how the two good series ended because at that point it's just star trek.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Azhais posted:

All three were good

SGU was fine by it wasn't really Stargate.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

What’ll probably happen with SG is that it’s 20 years later and the Stargate program was mothballed after what happened to Destiny. Something happens and Samantha Carter is brought out of retirement to figure out why the Stargate is acting up again. It’s a mix of bringing in new viewers and old.

But earth has a bunch of giant capital spaceships, all of the asgard's knowledge, and an alien city full of ludicrously advanced technology just floating in the San Francisco Bay. I just don't see how earth would collectively take a step back like that.

Chairman Capone posted:

I feel like the best option for a Stargate should would be to make it a period drama in the 30s/40s with them trying to figure out how to make the Stargate work. Draw in bits of dieselpunk, Indiana Jones, early UFO investigations to see how they tie into this ancient alien artifact, etc.

This seems more plausible, but it's also what that absolutely loving horrible webseries tried to do. I'm fine with pretending that whole thing never happened though. It was so so bad.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 25, 2021

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

feedmyleg posted:

Sure does! Each myth is now breezy and fun rather than a repetitive chore filled with constructed tension.

Mythbusters wasn't why I got a tivo back in the day, but it sure made that show a thousand times more pleasant to watch. Seconding the recommendation to watch Adam's stuff on YouTube, he talks about the show a lot and drops bombshells like he actually really hates duct tape. (He'd rather have 17,000 different rolls of tape for every little purpose, the anti-Alton Brown of tape)

IRQ fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 25, 2021

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Maybe they'll make a good Bond movie in the 21st century finally.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

STAC Goat posted:

This seems like such a bad idea but it gives me hope that they're self aware.

Can they resist the temptation to do excessive retreads of old sketches but the joke is "we're old now lol"? I suspect not, but I hope so.

Bill and Ted 3 did it pretty well so there's hope.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

blunt posted:

CBS made the right choice

I mean, I'm sure it does hurt to hear that you were a frontrunner until one dude pushed for someone else, but yeah they absolutely made the right choice. And it isn't like he got Leno'ed, he just didn't do well at one aspect of job interviews and lost out to a much more talented and funny person.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

The late night format is just too constricting. Pretty much every host, even Leno, has some comedy gold nuggets

I disagree with the latter, but very much agree with the former. I miss Stephen Colbert a lot, but his late night show just sucks because of the format sucking.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Khanstant posted:

How did Discovery come to be the one trying to swaller Warner Bros? Did they just stacked rich from garbage shows when they stopped doing Discovery shows, to the poin they just gotta chomp something else up or is WB just hollowed out by now?

It's more that it's money ghouls doing voodoo money poo poo to make more money somehow by doing it this way.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Josh Lyman posted:

The new company is going to have $52b of debt??

Sure why not? If it doesn't work out you just do it again! Sustainable economic system we have isn't it?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

mcbexx posted:

Catching up on Mythic Quest and lol at Ubisoft being involved, leading to gems like the opener in S02E03...

"Counterstrike, Hyperscape, Call of Duty ... what do these mega-franchises have in common?"

:thunk: if it's a pathetic, very, very wishful marketing ploy or a self-deprecating jab at their own failed attempt to support a game long term and establish a loyal playerbase.

Hyperscape sounds like a made up video game for CSI or something, and upon googling it, it looks like one too.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Hakkesshu posted:

Anyone here read these? Are they good?

They're very good, yes.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

isaboo posted:

Hell yea. MiTM and NewsRadio are two shows I never get tired of watching and are my go-tos if I'm not in the mood for anything else but need something on

MitM was a real gem of relatablity as sitcoms went. A lot like early Roseanne was, before that show got really dumb, and before they rebooted it for more money and she went full Trumper dipshit.

E: my god that reboot is still going isn't it? Tv has fallen so far.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Who cares, i want to see the dog. They better cast a very good dog.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Arist posted:

They actually already showed the dog when production "started" (quotes here because it got shut down for several months due to John Cho's freak knee injury soon afterwards):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4gPQDyOixQ

Yeah i just found a tweet with that video, seems like a good dog (all dogs are good dogs).

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Iron Crowned posted:

There are no good dogs

On a scale of 1 to 10, how accurate is this to your childhood?

https://youtu.be/sz6MvVotEMU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The World Inferno posted:

That said, still funny how Game of Thrones faceplanted so hard that it retroactively made it hard to even revisit the good ol' days.

:sickos:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Zero One posted:

In the cartoon the Beast had to find love before he turned 18. It has also been years since the curse happened.

This means the enchantress cursed a tween (and his servants) for not letting a stranger in his house.

An actual underage boy trapped in an old demon's body? The reverse anime.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I finally finished Invincible, you guys were right, it was good.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rhyno posted:

Lower Decks is amazing.

I definitely see why people would assume it's poo poo, but Lower Decks is legit good and the best newish Trek that isn't The Orville. I'm really glad I gave it a chance.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rick and Morty is a fine show as long as you don't take it too seriously and think Rick is some kind of role model. Basically it's the same kind of people that thought Walter White was a good guy.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The United States posted:

The Blacklist is one of those shows that I am always surprised is still going.

I watched a bunch of seasons of it on Netflix like 2 years ago and thought it was already done. How are they still dragging out that he's her dad or whatever. It's either that or a Final Space Avocado situation.

Speaking of, man did Final Space get loving bleak this season.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Fenris13 posted:

They made it pretty clear Spader was not her father a few seasons ago, the last 4 seasons have been heavy handed about the secret being Spader was actually her Mother, these last two episodes were way over the top insinuating this.

Ok now I have to know how on earth that's meant to make any sense whatsoever. Even in that show's context - it always reminded me a bit of Alias, but even Alias didn't do that.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Fenris13 posted:

I feel so dirty for writing all of that about a silly TV show, but Spader really does some amazing work. I though he hit his peak sitting on a high-rise balcony unwinding with Shattner, but his connection with several of the characters on this show at least rival that.

Can't say I regret falling off that show. That's quite the bizarre twist if true.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

Why is every tagline so loving stupid these days. Even legends can have a beginning? Also given like, the wheel aspect of time in the Wheel of Time series, it's not even accurate. Grahhh!

There's like a built in tagline for those books, what on earth made them go with one so generic, and literally completely incorrect? It's not even subtext or a spoiler, it's in the drat name of the series. Please don't suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

cant cook creole bream posted:

Finished the show. That was quite a great ride!
Still a bit on the fence about the alcoholism. Was it a subtle implication, or just my imagination going wild? I guess some mysteries are best left unsolved and some interpretations have to be made by the viewer.

I was on the fence about that too until about 3 minutes into the first episode.