Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Azhais posted:

mosquito coast is the one about one man's dream to bring icecubes to amazonian tribesmen or something right?

Yes if remember correctly. He puts his family in danger to accomplish this insane goal. I remember really liking the movie, but I think I was like 13 when my family rented it on VHS. Is there something about a dam in this movie too?

Edit: I just seen it was directed by Peter Weir. I might have to give it a rewatch.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I would say Downton Abbey is worth watching until Dan Stevens leaves the show. Also I will admit I did enjoy the movie, and I will be watching the new one coming out this year.

Trick pick get her to watch Peaky Blinders.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I have recently come to the conclusion that the problem with Neil Gaiman adaptations is that Neil Gaiman is involved. So to see he is involved with this drops my hype to zero. Hope my conclusion was wrong, but the record speaks for itself.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

achillesforever6 posted:

I don't know I think Good Omens was as good as an adaptation you can do and he showrun that; meanwhile American Gods he wasn't as involved (mostly iirc he was working on Good Omens)

Stephen Fry as Gilbert is inspired

Gaiman is reported to be the reason why the first 2 showrunners left on American Gods (season 1 was great under Fuller I thought). I do agree that Good Omens was ok, but outside of the leads I wouldn't call it great either. I might just being trying to lower my expectations here with hope I am wrong.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Sorting Algorithms posted:

I would love a source for this, because I only ever heard of Fuller leaving over not being given a larger budget for season 2 despite the show's ratings underperforming.

I also heard the same thing, plus Fuller has been show jumping like crazy since, but there has been rumors and behind the scenes reports that have come out.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2021/04/american-gods-cancelled-sandman

quote:

That attitude seems at odds with behind-the-scenes reports indicating Fuller and Green were likely replaced because Gaiman was displeased with some of the departures from his book. According to The Hollywood Reporter, production company Fremantle was eager to keep Gaiman happy: “Efforts were made to bring Gods more in line with what Gaiman wanted.” This involved Gaiman being billed as “co-showrunner” for season two—which was the show’s least successful season. Behind-the-scenes strife bubbled over into messy story lines and even messier changes in the cast.

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/american-gods-season-2-bryan-fuller-confirms-he-was-fired/

Fuller Twitter posted:

Me @andmichaelgreen never abandoned @AmericanGodsSTZ @GodsOnAmazon. We were dedicated to cast, crafted the season, wrote 5 episodes, even had Media as Mr. Rogers & Princess Leia. We were in the process of reducing scope due to a dramatic budget reduction when we were fired.

It breaks my heart we never got to see Gillian Anderson as Princess Leia.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Sorry to have started the Fuller fight.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
It is cool, but I don’t know if I would call it good. The writing is just awful with its case of the week, while the performances and campiness is worth coming back for. I would call it a decent guilty pleasure.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Trailer for the Anthony Bourdain documentary Roadrunner. It seems like this is not a case of the same day on HBO Max as the theater release. Watching the trailer reminds me how much I miss watching his show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihEEjwRlghQ

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Escobarbarian posted:

mythic quest did this season’s flashback episode and gently caress it’s so good. season 2 has been such a step up man, and 1 was already great

How in the hell did this become one of the best shows airing? What an amazing episode.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Escobarbarian posted:

Uhhhh gently caress no???? Season 2 is way better. There’s two major family drama storylines and one pays off BEAUTIFULLY in the finale and one is the bad one I was talking about but it’s one bad storyline out of like, 11.

I thought the family drama was mostly not overdone. The one plot point about Annapolis that resulted in some family drama was handled perfectly. It went from crap they are going to drag this, to it was all wrapped in 5 minutes. That said the one plot point everyone is upset about makes no sense given how well they handled the other. To be honest I am not that upset about the unbelievable affair, it is the fact that she would tell him about right before going into space. She has been a Navy wife for a few decades, she knows better.

The only other thing the show handled kind of wrong was Sally Ride at the end. Still everything else was spot on to me and it is my favorite show of 2021 so far despite it's few shortcomings. As I said before Michael Dorman deserves an Emmy nod just for his weight gain and weight loss.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Looten Plunder posted:

Anyone watched Hacks? Is it good?

Jean Smart is killing it. Actually everyone is killing it on that series.

Edit: I just saw that Hannah Einbinder who plays Ava is actually a stand-up, and her mom, Laraine Newman , was an original cast member on SNL. I think she does a good job of walking that line between earnest and annoying that her character requires.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 7, 2021

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
The Killing will always be to me the show that give us Joel Kinnaman. I never watched it beyond season 1 tho.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

GreenNight posted:

So who the gently caress does CNN think is gonna pay for CNN+?

I can see it being bundled into HBO Max since Warner owns them all.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

bull3964 posted:

They explicitly said in this announcement that they had no plans of doing any bundles with HBO Max.

That might be true for the time being, but I can see down the road Warner offering something like Disney is doing with Hulu and ESPN+. It all depends on numbers, and it gives them a parachute to save face if things go bad (I think this will go bad).

The next big thing I am waiting for ESPN. I do believe in my lifetime there will be a Disney bundle with Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Hulu has an option to add Disney+ and ESPN for $8 per month, total? :crossarms:

No it doesn’t. That bundle is for ESPN+ which doesn’t include the real ESPN. :crossarms:

Edit: to be clear you cannot at this moment purchase a ESPN channel subscription directly. It is only available as part of a live streaming service (YouTube TV) or cable, and Hulu Live TV is not the same as regular Hulu. It is a larger live streaming service like cable.

Also ESPN calling it ESPN+ and not including the real ESPN has caused so much confusion. I wonder what they are going call it when ESPN finally is offered directly.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jul 20, 2021

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwZx0-agqb0
Trailer for Epix's "Chapelwaite" which is an adaptation of Stephen King's short story Jerusalem's Lot. Not to be confused with 'Salem's Lot, Jerusalem's Lot was basically King doing Lovecraft with an aristocrat main character moving into an old ancestral home near the abandoned hamlet of Jerusalem's Lot. The show looks like it is greatly expanding on the plot, which makes sense as the original short story only had two characters.

Interesting that Jerusalem's Lot is a prequel to Salem's Lot (King's short story One For the Road is sort of a sequel to that) but it has no vampires in the story (as you point it is straight up Lovecraft) , but in the trailer you see what looks like to be an vampire. The last season of Castle Rock they also did a version of a prequel to Salem's Lot (in the middle of a story about Annie Wilkes of all things), but it so far removed from the source material that I hate to even call it that.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Woodstock 99 doc? Great entertainment, but analysis wise they really missed the ball. I am going to tell my kids that if Cobain didn't kill himself nu-metal would have never happen. That in the end Woodstock 99 is all his fault. That is pretty much what they say in a round about way during one part of the doc. Music journalist (most of them) are just the worst.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

IRQ posted:

That's not what I got from it at all.

I was reaching, just like some of their points were far reaching. The whole thing analysis wise just didn’t sit right with me, but it was a fun watch.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

IRQ posted:

Yeah I was pretty shocked to hear someone just flat out say, in 2021, "they were asking for it being dressed like that." On top of that it really sounds like they were selling the ppv show by showing a much of that as possible. Real class acts running that thing.

Moby had always been a pretentious rear end, he's only got like 1 good song too.

I will point out that the documentary didn't hesitate to show a lot of it either ( also I saw more of Flea than I ever wanted to). To be clear my problem is not who they blamed or how they present certain point of views about what is happening on the ground, it was more in relation to how they tried to touch on higher ideas of what is going in society. Things like Nirvana and Napster thing just felt out of place. Even the points they should be making they just never really connected the dots. It was pretty shallow in that regard. I've heard more useful insight on this forum. Still I will be watching what they ever come with next.

Also the Coachella thing at the end was just awful (felt like a commercial for it). They don't tell us that over 50 women said they were sexual assaulted at Coachella in 2018. Just shows society hasn't changed as much as we want to believe and it has little to do with the type of music.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I was listening to a podcast yesterday and they played Fred Durst’s isolated vocal tracks. drat it is worse than I even imagined. They also did Johnathan Davis’ vocal tracks on ADIDAS, and that was almost as bad (I actually liked their first album).

I’ve been to a few shows where I felt like a riot could start. RATM in 96 and Suicidal Tendencies 91 were pretty insane, but the most insane might have been Bad Brains. It was a club show full of skinheads. Fights kept breaking out between the SHARPS and the Nazi Skinheads. I got trampled and hurt that night. It was pure chaos. I have never been punched more or thrown more punches in my life (gently caress Nazis).

I guess my point is that I don’t see anything wrong with Limp Bizkit’s set at all (I am using the mindset that they were unaware of the sexual assaults). I watched a couple of songs from that set on YouTube and it is exactly what one would think (and hope) the performance would be like. I am still amazed that such a lovely band could take over a crowd like that. So props on that I guess?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Bad, just bad. How in the hell did he become a lead singer of a band?

Medullah posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IArxakPsPE0

David Lee Roth Running With the Devil is by far my favorite one of these. I can't stop laughing every time. WAAOOOWWW

My wife laughed so hard at this she cried. Those yells, grunts, and scatting are just amazing. Please David tell me all about it.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

The United States posted:

What's the deal with Hollywood constantly setting shows and movies in Hawaii and filling them with only white people? I heard that Emma Stone movie was especially bad on that front.

With White Lotus that is the point. The guest are all privileged white people while the staff is mostly not. I mean it’s kind of obvious since the one guest who is not white is only there because of an invite from the family and you can see how that is going.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I would like to see a Venn diagram of people who attend Woodstock 99 and people who attend the capital riot on 1/6. There has to be some overlap since we are talking about a lot of white 40-somethings.

Chairman Capone posted:

I got a free month of Paramount+ and watched the first two episodes of The Stand. It's not bad, but not great either. I think the change from having it progress linearly to constantly jumping back and forth ultimately hurts it more than it adds anything. Also, as someone who always liked the first half of the story showing the collapse of society, the fact that they really cut that mostly out is disappointing. From what I can tell, the other seven episodes are all fully post-apocalyptic.

I do think it's funny that the guy playing Harold looks pretty close to the actor from the 1990s version. Also that they included the (voice of) the "Monsters are coming!" preacher, as I think he was invented for the 1990s version (though maybe I'm forgetting him from among the book's 10,000 characters).

You have already watched the peak of the series, because it is becomes really bad (hot garbage at the end). I do think the guy playing Harold does a great job (Parker Lewis Can't Lose played him in the 90's version), but focusing so much on him is one of the biggest mistakes the series makes. It is amazing despite being much shorter, the original mini-series did a better job with letting you get to know the characters. So many characters are barely given any depth at all that when they die you could care less. There is a heart tugging scene that works well not only in the book, but in the 90's version, that is just laughable because you have spent such little time with the characters. I bet there were people who were like who are these characters again?

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 2, 2021

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

zoux posted:

It was a dramedy

https://twitter.com/DannyDutch/status/1422825829189496833

This is quite the roster of before-they-were-famous guest stars

I haven't watched Miami Vice since the 80's, and only one I recalled was Phil Collins. Biggest shock in that list? Leonard Cohen and Miles Davis.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Hughmoris posted:

Not a show but the dinner scene in Wedding Crasher comes to mind. Vince Vauhn is getting jerked under the table and Owen Wilson tries to play it off.

Maybe NSFW https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGttPiA96ec

Reminds me of the press conference in the first Police Academy.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

I have rewatched this series more than any other HBO series (BoB would be second). It is just accurate and funny as hell.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Medullah posted:

Yeah the second season hasn't really grabbed me so far. It really seems like a good one season show, had a good arc and could have wrapped up. Even if it had just been a minor remake of Major League.

To me season 2 has gotten better with every episode (hated 2.1, but loved 2.3), but I haven't watched the newest one.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Heels seems like it wants to be the Sons of Anarchy of wrestling. Is that good or bad thing? Jury is still out.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Considering he was a marine “hardcore libertarian” beats the more likely “turbo chud”

Hey I’m a Marine and a hardcore social liberal.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Aardvark! posted:

Did anybody here actually watch this? It feels like it's been in the top 5 of Netflix for like 3 months, but I only recall a couple comments that it sucked

My wife works full time from home still and she watched all of it. I watched enough to know it is trash, and my wife would even agree it is not that good. I think what you are seeing is people working from home (lots of background watching) are running out of poo poo to watch

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Looten Plunder posted:

Trailer for Taylor Sheridan's new show dropped yesterday.

Mayor of Kingstown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhmIVF2dTbI

Directed by Antoine Fuquar starring Jeremy Renner and Kyle Chandler

Taylor Sheridan doing something that doesn't include an Indian reservation or isn't out west is like Shane Black doing a movie that takes place during Easter. The last Sheridan and Renner collaboration, Wind River, was 100% my jam, but Yellowstone, while my favorite guilty please show right now, is not that good. Still the cast looks good and trailer has my interest. I already have Paramount+ for Desus & Mero and Yellowstone is coming back too, so I will be watching.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Gaunab posted:

Desus and Mero is on Paramount+?

Showtime comes with Paramount+ (at least on AppleTV).

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Hughmoris posted:

Why you flanking me?

That was intense.

bull3964 posted:

That bundle was discontinued.

I didn't realize that. I still have the bundle, and after some researching it looks like for the time being if you had the bundle before it was discontinued that they allowed you to keep. The bad part is if you cancel for even a month, you lose the bundle.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Ted Lasso’s opening song is in my top 3 of worst songs in the history of TV. loving Mumford & Sons dude.

Now a show with a great song…

muscles like this! posted:

So, the second episode of this week's What We Do In the Shadows was a tour de force performance from Kayvan Novak.

Agreed. I’m so happy it is back.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
If you want to be depressed watch 9/11: One Day in America on Hulu . It is really good, but they do linger on some of the more horrifying things in the first episode. I don’t think I have heard anything more horrifying than the footage of the NYCFD when the bodies from jumpers kept hitting the ceiling above them.

Hughmoris posted:

Throw in Justified's opener for awful songs.

I saw Gangstagrass at a local festival and despite the fact I would never listen to their music on purpose, they were great live. Of course the crowd went ape poo poo when they played that Justified song.

I also saw Mumford & Sons back on their first album tour because wife was fan. They also put on a good show. That said even my wife hates them since that album and she hates the Ted Lasso theme that Marcus Mumford does.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
gently caress no. gently caress no.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

DC Murderverse posted:

That’ll do it. Honestly she has really good taste in men. Mulaney is the latest but she’s also dated Forte, Aaron Rodgers and Chris Evans. And she was outspoken about Brett Ratner being a piece of poo poo and called out Shane Black for letting her be in a scene of Predators with a friend of his who is a sex offender without letting her know who he was. Olivia Munn is cool.

She also came back for the G4 Thanksgiving reunion last year and did a bunch of stupid Attack of the Show skits. She could have went the diva route, but instead she didn’t forget where she came from. So I agree, Olivia Munn is cool.

I’m not ashamed to say this, but drat I miss watching Attack of the Show. I don’t think I would like watching it in 2021, but nostalgia wise I miss it.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I remember watching that and following the thread live. My wife who liked AOTS also, got to see me nerd out that they were going to talk about that forum I am always on.

I just found the archived thread and that was back in 2005. Jesus I feel old.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
No it was AOTS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdUHDDj7fhk

Here is link to the 2005 thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1612285&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Edit: It is amazing what an archive YouTube has become. I went to a Metallica concert in Johnson City, TN in 1989 and the audio from that show is on YouTube. I saw RATM in the mid 90's in the middle of nowhere and the footage from that show is up on YouTube.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 9, 2021

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

zoux posted:

It's not really possible to explain what September 2001 was like for people who weren't old enough to remember it

Just point them to this ( I can't find the thread in archives, so this is the best I could do).

http://www.truegamer.net/SA_911/911%20SATHREAD/

Edit: drat reading real time reactions from here is insane.

Edit 2: This quote right or wrong pretty much tells you the vibe on that day and the reason we got stuck in a 20 year war.

Akihabara posted:

I'm hardly a patriot, but this kind of poo poo makes me want to sign up for the Marines and go murder some loving Ragheads.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Open Source Idiom posted:

Servant is an excellent horror comedy -- more horror than comedy, but god it knows how to be funny. Lauren Ambrose is loving perfect too.

loving love that show.

I’m with you on this take. It a fun show to watch and each episode is only half an hour. Ambrose deserved an Emmy nod.