Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Happy new year you filthy animals. Hopefully I should be uploading some new comics soon. I think Corto Maltese may have been posted by me enough times to justify against me doing it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Mikl posted:

no don't

Mikl, I've always liked your input in the thread, esp. with extra info on Venice, but I'mma have to disagree with you here.

Bring on the insanity, plz.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Cobalt-60 posted:

Is Corto Maltese available online? I'd read it.

I, uh, fear it is only through me.

Of course, if one wishes to obtain it in a physical method, one can purchase it through Eurocomics.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Boo to you, True.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

Nekonaughey

*Gasp* Oh my God, that cat is my exact double! *Gasp* Oh my God, that rabbit has a poofy tail!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Alhazred posted:

TegneHanne
(DrawingHanne)

This is the strip that's replacing Zelda. Unlike Zelda it is explicitly based on the artist's, Hanne Sigbjørnsen, life. It also raised some discussion in Norway because she made some strips about her very traumatic birth and how she felt her hospital let her down.

This sounds like it could be very grim, but also cathartically welcome?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Gosh, I'm liking this again.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

kidcoelacanth posted:

Mr. Boop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK_O-MdssNk

That is the end of Mr. Boop, a silly twitter comic.

Better ending than Homestuck.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

Everett True: due process is un-American

Everett True: the proto-Strasserite.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I am curious as to how many get this, since it does involve having to know the unofficial motto of the Canadian Mounties (no, not 'Lets take all First Nation people on starlight tours'), and that ain't common in Europe.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Alhazred posted:

The Good Innvandrer

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooofffffffffffffffffffff

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Silly Rae, it's pronounced 'Sword'!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

I feel compelled to note as the OP that while Maus was not a newspaper comic, it was serialized in a magazine, and certainly no more of a departure from the spirit of the thread than certain other recent comics if someone wants something to post. Scans are easier to find than I would have thought too, given it's one of the few comic books people actually buy anymore. For university classes of course, but still.

I wouldn't mind Maus.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Alhazred posted:

TegneHanne

Plz don't doxx me.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I liked Rae the Doe, too. Possibly even BECAUSE of the puns!!!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (May 28, 1999)

OK, we get it, you guys gently caress.

(in truth, this is a really good strip)

Alhazred posted:

The Good Innvandrer

Oof. I know of a few folk who could tell similar tales and it ain't pretty.

On a lighter note, good news, everyone! As of today, I've managed to wrangle an English translation of a Spirou periodical, Jerome K. Jerome Bloche's first adventure! It's a nice, quick-paced adventure, and I reckon I could start this weekend.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (May 29, 1999)

Gene's got a point, with twenty folk you could sail the seas for American gold and fire no gun; shed no tears!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

PainterofCrap posted:

Jesus, that Barrett's Privateers thing really has legs

Well, more legs than the last of Barrett's Privateers, anyway.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

How Wonderful! posted:

Gyn/Ecology: The Metaethics of Radical Feminism is a 1979 book by the philosopher Mary Daly, linking "female energy" to the vagina and the fundamental power of creation. It came under fire by Audre Lorde shortly after its publication for being narrowly Eurocentric and rather oblivious to the myths and lives of women of color.

It also includes these following transphobic gems, which, no lie, shoved me all the way into the back of the closet in despair and disgust in college when I first read the drat book, so this page has turned into a true loving bummer to annotate!

:( I'm sorry you had to re-live that poo poo, HW.

Cobalt-60 posted:

Am I missing the joke, or is this just an early "Yoga is from Foreign Parts, and therefore Of The Devil"?

...I think you quoted the wrong strip.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jan 28, 2021

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Whoops, mistake

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I know I talked about possibly uploading a new comic, but after reading it and chewing it over, I'm not sure if it is 'serial' enough to really be included, so I don't think I'll be adding it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

That's disappointing. We all enjoy your posts and wouldn't second guess the appropriateness of what you bring to the thread. Corto Maltese wasn't really a serial comic either, but it was close enough.

I would say the comic I got was... Imagine the gap in the 'serial-ness' between Modesty Blaise and Corto Maltese? That gap is between it and Corto.

Don't get me wrong it is fun enough, but...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Ok, well, thanks to some quick thinking on my part, we'll have a new comic to be uploaded by yours truly. A new comic and a translation project to boot. More info coming soon...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

EBB posted:

Ooh ooh will there be high adventure and mushroom trips?

High adventure, but more... Well, there'll be less sailing and more horse-riding.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

So, I've been banging my drum for a bit now about my next upload project. And now's as good a time as any - ladies, gentlemen, NBs all, I present to you the first in (frankly, a GIGANTIC amount) of the comic series by Jean-Michael Charlier and Jean Giraud AKA Gir AKA Moebius. I present to you the Western comic: Blueberry

This series is one of the Franco-Belgian comic classics, having been started in '63 (back when it was first called Fort Navajo and was less about the soon-to-be titular character and more an ensemble piece) and published all the way up to '07. People have claimed that it was as popular in France as DC comics were back in the golden age of DC, and, having seen the SIZE of the books I'm gonna be working with, I'm not surprised.

However, I must say first up, I won't be as regular with this series as I was with Corto for a couple of reasons. 1) I have a job, now and 2) Translating a book that is heavy in idioms translated from French into idioms in Swedish into idioms in English is a little tough. Also, this series is published in colour, but I'm uploading in black and white because it is easier for me to edit the words, easier to sharpen images and also provides an impetus for anyone who would be interested in reading more themselves to support the original writers/artists and get the books themselve. If it's too distracting, I could see about changing my attitude, and I also welcome criticism re. text font, size, etc.

However, I think this could be an interesting experience for us all, a journey into a genre from another time and from another place than what we typically expect. Fingers crossed and thumbs held!

So, without further ado, in today's Blueberry: Yes, he's smoking a cigar and there are one too many aces but we are reading Blueberry, not the Zyborne Clock, or well, maybe you shouldn't HAVE such a stupid moustache, or Evidently boyscout here wasn't a part of the Christmas celebrations in '26

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

howe_sam posted:

The only nit I have to pick is that it's the Well Fargo Wagon :eng101:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8LHlJSBkg0

My nitpick is more the fact that I mis-spelled 'Thank' in the third page!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

PainterofCrap posted:

Drawn and Quartered - 1942

I must say, I am liking the one with the cushions and the ice-skaters.

So, in - probably the last you're gonna see for a while - today's Blueberry! Revolver Ocelot nods approvingly, or and I thought changing a flat tyre was bad..., or Blueberry quickly makes friends with his charisma and charm

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Blueberry: Burninating all the peasants ranchers in their THATCH ROOF COTTAGES!!!, or While scalping has been used as a plot function in countless western pieces of fiction, scalping was a real-life practice found throughout the world - the earliest records of the practice can be found in writings from Greek antiquity, but it was certainly more common in the old world to take people's heads. The act of scalping was a practice done by some native peoples of North America before the arrival of Colombus (mass graves dated to the 1300s near Crow Creek in South Dakota showed corpses with scalping injuries), but it expanded with the implementation of bounties, paid to both native peoples and to white settlers, for the scalps of tribes of people deemed to be undesirable to the colonial powers establishing themselves in the New World, or Blueberry is a sanguine man, much to Graig's unappreciated fortune...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

The Beowulf of newspaper comics.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Blueberry: Oh, NOW that you don't have Graig around to offer platitudes, you're willing to listen to the more level-headed people?!, or Blueberry to the rescue!, or Now, in the original book, the term 'Indaaɫigáí' wasn't used - instead it was 'Bluecoat' - and unfortunately, there's a lot of that type of language used in this story. I'm gonna try and use more accurate terms where I can find them, but I confess as a complete amateur, I may mess up. The Chiricahua people are a group of native Americans residing in the New Mexico/Arizona region and include Apache tribes, hence me feeling that this was the more appropriate term. If people feel this is me being too editorial, or if my corrections are far too inaccurate, I'll stop

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Alhazred posted:

The Good Innvandrer

Ha ha ouch.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Blueberry: Graig never looks a gift horse in the mouth, or It's over, Graig! They have the high ground!, or Be careful, Graig, that's what did in for Christopher Reeve...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Julet Esqu posted:

I recognize that this is because you're doing the translating here, but I still want to say that I appreciate that the natives are talking like normal people and not in the broken English they use in so many westerns.

Thanks for appreciating it. I was concerned that some might think I was being too editorial in my translations - though frankly I'd probably keep doing it anyway even if they did since I dislike that trope, too.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

readingatwork posted:

Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

I love how much of a dork Miles is.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

Wait so is it that way in the original or is it the old trope?

I was referring to the trope - as far as I can tell, the Swedish translation keeps the Apache's dialogue pretty much as Blueberry's and Graig's... though they do have the tiresome habit of using the terms 'Redskins' and 'Palefaces' (actually, on the latter term I did a bit of researching on what the Apaches of that region would have more likely used as a term referring to non-Apache people, hence the use of Indaaɫigáí - Wikipedia states it means 'people who are white-skinned', but I saw some other people on a Native American language board stating it more literally means 'white-eyed').

On that note - in today's Blueberry: Blueberry thinks on his feet... his horse's hooves? Anyway, or Graig, self-critique is an important part of anyone's health, but now is REALLY not the time, or Suddenly, Blueberry's in the mood for some spontaneous horticulture.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Feb 6, 2021

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Blueberry: Blueberry has street-smarts... uh, plains-smarts?, or We learn a little more about Blueberry's military past, or The ladies hold up their part of the agreement

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Both of these really tickled me.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Blueberry: Hey! I think we've found our next villain in this story!, or Blueberry seems unaware of the United States' stance on Native peoples on state and federal level since... well, forever, or Your tax dollars at work, ladies and gentlemen.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Blueberry: Little boy Blue(berry), come blow your horn, the cavalry's in the valley, massacring the Apache-borne, or Bascom doesn't take kindly to mistakes, or Graig makes an enemy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Blueberry:Home again, home again. Jiggity-jig, or I do not know if the Cochise mentioned here is supposed to be the actual Shi-ka-She, I mean it would make sense, he was a leader of the Chiricahuan Apaches which I've been basing my translation work off of, or Blueberry gets deprived of a hot meal