Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Happy new year folks.

Rhymes with Orange is a gag-a-day strip by Hilary Price and Rina Piccolo.

Get Fuzzy is a strip about a guy and his pets. It was really popular 20 years ago but the creator, Darby Conley, burned out rapidly and gave it up. This one is from December 31, 2000.

Brenda Starr, created by Dalia "Dale" Messick, is a long-running soap opera strip whose title character is a reporter for a newspaper called the Flash. It's currently Sundays only, although that will change in a few months. We're at March 25, 1945.

Brenda, whose looks are based on Rita Hayworth, somehow keeps her job despite never seeming to do much reporting. Possibly this is because every eligible man in the strip is in love with her, although they're all assholes anyway. The supporting cast includes: annoying teenage cub reporter Pesky Miller; boring but manly reporter Tom Taylor; butch female reporter Hank O'Hair, who is invariably the smartest and most capable person in the strip; Brenda's fat cousin and roommate Abretha Breez; spoiled blonde reporter (and boss's niece) Daphne Dimples, who is Brenda's rival and thus constantly gets abused by the rest of the cast; and Brenda's pal Detective Traverts, a private investigator with a talent for missing really obvious clues.

In the current storyline, Bub Walters, the son of Brenda's boss, Muggs Walters, has introduced himself by crashing his plane through the office window and announcing his intention to take over the Flash from his dad. Also, there's a weird little guy called Mr. Jinx wandering around who everyone, except Hank, is terrified of because he brings bad luck. This is, by Brenda Starr standards, a fairly sensible and grounded plot. So far.

Smokey Stover by Bill Holman is a screwball comedy strip featuring the titular dimwitted firefighter and his equally dim chief, Cash U. Nutt. Smokey's wife, Cookie, and son, Earl (called Woodie in early strips) also make appearances. Expect lots of sight gags, nonsensical catchphrases (particularly "foo" and "scram gravy ain't wavey"), slapstick, and ghastly puns. The current run of strips involves various gags about the Chief trying to lose weight, which seems appropriate for the new year even though these are from March 9-11, 1939.

Richard's Poor Almanac is a one-page gag strip that the late lamented Richard Thompson did weekly for the Washington Post Magazine. It's been rerun on Gocomics so many times that it no longer has any connection to the actual calendar, but what the heck it's funny. "Restaurant Closings" is one of several running gags.

Bonus ad! While flipping through old newspapers to find the comics, I sometimes spot ads, headlines, letters to the editor, and other stuff that looks amusing, and throw it in here. Like so:

I wonder if the artist decided to use Scotties here because of the popularity of FDR's dog, Fala.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/1/01

Brenda Starr 4/1/45

"You too, Hank?" gently caress off, Pesky.

Smokey Stover 3/12/39

Richard's Poor Almanac

Sick burn on Ulysses S. Grant!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/2/01

Brenda Starr 4/8/45

Smokey Stover 3/14-15/39

Did I mention Holman is shameless about recycling gags?

Richard's Poor Almanac

Geek's Neck ended up in Cul de Sac as the Otterloops' summer vacation town. Lurid Caverns is a reference to Luray Caverns in Western Virginia, a popular day trip from DC. And Big Pile State Park is, of course, inspired by the former Great Stone Face in New Hampshire.

Bonus Ad!

I just love the image of a canary cop with a tiny badge, cap, and gunbelt ... and smoking a pipe too, because why not?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Is it just me or is it kinda weird to do a joke about grass skirts and have the characters wearing them all be Caucasian-colored?

Get Fuzzy 1/3/01

Brenda Starr 4/15/45

The "why isn't he in uniform?" would be more of a zinger if Messick hadn't been carefully avoiding any explanation of why none of the men in the strip are in the service (although Pesky has an excuse, being underage).

Smokey Stover 3/16-18/39

Richard's Poor Almanac

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/4/01

Brenda Starr 4/22/45

Smokey Stover 3/19/39

Richard's Poor Almanac

If the last one sounds unlikely, go see Oh Baby!, Eggbert, or even Umberto the Unborn.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

I thought the first one was just some weird "ha ha boy they drew that awkwardly" thing but no, this dude is definitely trying to get Luann to look at his dick.

"Is that humming sound coming from my balls? Do you smell bacon?" (it's Oglaf, it's :nws:).

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/4-5/01

I posted the wrong one yesterday, so here's the correct one and today's.

Brenda Starr 4/29/45

Smokey Stover 3/20-22/39

After March 20, the New York Daily News stopped running Smokey dailies, although they kept it on Sunday. So I've had to switch to grabbing them from the Baltimore Sun and/or the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, hence the different font in the headlines.

Richard's Poor Almanac

Pat Robertson did indeed call for Hugo Chavez to be assassinated in 2005. I like the touch of giving Robertson Terminator eyes here.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

I don’t get either one!

I'm not sure about the second one (given how detailed the bottle is, maybe the gag is that the bum is drinking whiskey named after a Lord?). I think the first one is just that the cab driver's license picture is creepy looking.

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/6/01

Brenda Starr 5/6/45

sigh. Pesky.

Smokey Stover 3/23-25/39

"Blacker than a sunburned Mammy singer" is, thankfully, not a simile you see a lot of these days.

Richard's Poor Almanac

Selachian fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jan 7, 2021

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/7/01

Brenda Starr 5/13/45

First strip after V-E Day, as it happens.

Smokey Stover 3/26/39

Richard's Poor Almanac

I thought that Thompson had invented these guys, but no, they were all real except for Uncle Sid. Me, I'm not quite old enough to have been around in the era of local TV kids' hosts, unless you count Bob McAllister on Wonderama on Saturdays.

The urban legend of a kid cursing out Bozo the Clown on live TV is, sadly, unverifiable.

Oh, and if you're wondering what the pun in Count Gore De Vol's name is: Gore Vidal.

Bonus Ad! Tea! Tea! TEA!!!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/8/01

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 5/20/45

I like the gag of the magnifying glass on the platter.

Smokey Stover 3/27-29/39

Ah yes, the joys of losing half a roll of vacation photos because you hosed up loading new film. Not that I've ever done that.

Richard's Poor Almanac

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Huh, Gladys Parker drew it for a few years. Interesting.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/9/01

Brenda Starr 5/27/45

Pesky apparently takes his fashion cues from Jimmy Olsen.

Smokey Stover 3/30-4/1/39

Richard's Poor Almanac

"Varlet parking." "Juche bar." Not bad.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

To give Piraro some credit, those are pretty accurate portraits. (Rorschach looked surprisingly like Brad Pitt.)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/10/01

Brenda Starr 6/3/45

Smokey Stover 4/2/39

Richard's Poor Almanac

Cosmetics squatillionaire Ronald Lauder paid $135M for Klimt's Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer I in 2006, the most anyone had ever paid for a piece of art and only the second time a painting had sold for more than $100 million -- although that record didn't stand for very long. Presumably he did not end up on the street afterward.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/11/01

I posted this by mistake last week but here it is again for completeness's sake.

Brenda Starr 6/10/45

Taking "master of the obvious" classes from Detective Traverts, I see.

Smokey Stover 4/3-5/39

New source again -- this time from the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, which just started running the strip.

Richard's Poor Almanac

Bonus ad! This is what you get when a copywriter gets to use their creative writing skills.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jan 12, 2021

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater (August 12-13, 1937)

A couple years after this, a pulp hero called the Avenger debuted. One of his gimmicks was that his facial muscles were paralyzed so he could re-mold his face into any shape he wanted, for a perfect disguise. Wonder if that was inspired by these strips.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/12/01

Brenda Starr 6/17/45

Yes, this is probably the lamest possible resolution to the Bub Walters plot.

Smokey Stover 4/6-8/39

"Wrong-Way" Corrigan had made his transatlantic flight the year before, so the nickname would still have been fresh.

Richard's Poor Almanac

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/13/01

Brenda Starr 6/24/45

Smokey Stover 4/9/39

Richard's Poor Almanac

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

We already have Retail But in a Library -- it's called Unshelved.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/14/01

Brenda Starr 7/1/45

We've gone almost a month without a new guy falling in love with Brenda, time to fix that.

Smokey Stover 4/10-12/39

Richard's Poor Almanac

Jokes about Humvees are already starting to feel kinda quaint.

Bonus menu! Need help with meal planning? 1945 has you covered.

("Top milk," incidentally, was milk from the upper part of the milk bottle that had leftover cream mixed in, so it'd be richer.)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

goatface posted:

Bile dripping from the mouth. Sounds serious.

That can happen when you're bound so tightly with tension and anger you approach a state of rigor mortis.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/15/01

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 7/8/45

Smokey Stover 4/13-15/39

"Smiling Smokey" is a reference to the contemporary comic strip Smilin' Jack, about the adventures of a heroic aviator.

He is a leaf on the wind. Watch him foo.

Richard's Poor Almanac

Yes, Richard Thompson dissed the Spider-Man robot gorilla story!
"Libertine Meadows" is a reference to Frank Cho's short-lived comic strip Liberty Meadows.
(and since the subject is "corrections," take another look at the strip header.)

Selachian fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 16, 2021

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/16/01

Brenda Starr 7/15/45

Smokey Stover 4/16/39

Richard's Poor Almanac

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/17/01

Brenda Starr 7/22/45

Smokey Stover 4/17-19/39

"Smoky"? "Nat Holman"? Someone wasn't paying attention in the Star-Telegram's layout department that day.

Richard's Poor Almanac

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/18/01

Brenda Starr 7/29/45

Smokey Stover 4/20-22/39

Richard's Poor Almanac

Bonus Story! Who needs pepper spray when you can carry a hatchet?

(Lena ended up spending nine years in an asylum before being released to plead guilty. She got a suspended sentence, announced that she was getting married and leaving New York, and dropped out of the news from then on.)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/19/01

Brenda Starr 8/5/45

Smokey Stover 4/23/39

I'm pretty sure this ancient joke goes back to vaudeville days, at least.

Richard's Poor Almanac

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Is he talking about the box that plugs into your gut and injects insulin as needed? Friend of mine growing up had that and if finger-pricks are a hassle I doubt this guy would consider it "lucky". That was 30 years ago though so maybe they've made the things more ergonomic.

They now have wearable sensors, such as Dexcom or Freestyle, that attach to your arm and send data on your blood sugar to your phone/smartwatch/whatever. I assume that's what Rex is talking about here. I don't know how comfortable and/or easy to use they are compared to fingersticking, however.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/20/01

Brenda Starr 8/12/45

Leg paint? Yes, leg paint.

Messick's art has improved vastly since the first few years of this strip. I like what she does here with Pesky's facial expressions and body language, and the little touch of him wearing his mom's apron while doing his experiments. Now about her plotting...

Smokey Stover 4/24-26/39

Richard's Poor Almanac

If you like Thompson dogs, you're in luck.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jan 21, 2021

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Quote =/= edit.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/21/01

Brenda Starr 8/19/45

Smokey Stover 4/27-29/39

Richard's Poor Almanac

Another version of a strip we saw a month or so back.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

Axa is only set like a hundred years in the future, right? Didn't they say that? It seems like a LOT of evolution has gone on in one human lifespan. Huh. Radiation, I guess.

Maybe they've stumbled into the Savage Land.

The current storyline makes me imagine what Axa would be like drawn by James Allen, because this is totally the sort of story he'd think he could do.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/22/01

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 8/26/45

Smokey Stover 4/30/39

Richard's Poor Almanac(k)

2007 was, of course, when Foob started to wind up its run and the Elizabeth-Anthony "romance" was in full swing.

Bonus ad! A look at all the things postwar Americans expected science to bring them any day -- including jetpacks.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/23/01

Greenda Starr 9/2/45

Smokey Stover 5/1-3/39

Richard's Poor Almanac

Bonus political cartoon! Spotted this in the Tribune while collecting old Brendas. How can you hate those faces?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Mundi

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/24/01

Brenda Starr 9/9/45

Smokey Stover 5/4-6/39

Between Africa and Robinson Crusoe, this story has the potential to go bad quickly. Fingers crossed.

Richard's Poor Almanac

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Darthemed posted:

That's a reference I didn't get until today.

A clip of Lloyd Bridges saying, "By that time my lungs were aching for air!" on Sea Hunt was a long-running gag on MST3K, which I suspect is what inspired that particular joke.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/25/01

Brenda Starr 9/16/45

Boo hiss. I should note that Messick said she frequently got story ideas from her dreams, which might account for why so many of Brenda's adventures have abrupt unsatisfying endings.

Smokey Stover 5/7/39

Richard's Poor Almanac

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Kazoi

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/26/01

Brenda Starr 9/23/45

So is this Basil's first appearance? Could be! Or it could be just a random peeping tom in an eyepatch and cape.

Smokey Stover 5/8-10/39

Richard's Poor Almanac

The Little Tavern was a chain of White Castle-esque burger joints that was popular in the DMV area before going out of business in the early 2000s.

Bonus ad! Meet Peter Pain, Ben-Gay's mascot. Also, we're only a couple months past V-J Day here and the theme of soldiers returning to a hero's welcome is already showing up in ads.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Cobalt-60 posted:

Am I missing the joke, or is this just an early "Yoga is from Foreign Parts, and therefore Of The Devil"?

I think the joke is that the guy thinks he can learn to walk on hot coals just by reading a book.

Remember, at the time Addams drew this, firewalking wasn't something regularly done at corporate retreats and charity fundraisers. It would have been seen as a bizarre stunt from the Mysterious East, like lying on a bed of nails or the Indian Rope Trick.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/27/01

Brenda Starr 9/30/45

Seriously, what is it about Brenda going goopy over men who physically threaten her (even politely)?

Smokey Stover 5/11-13/39

Richard's Poor Almanac

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Kennel posted:

A few days ago mentioned Benjamin Franklin's 300th birthday, which would be 2006. Not sure, if they are in order.

Gocomics doesn't include original publication date, and it doesn't make much effort to keep the strips in order, but sometime in 2006-2007 (when the hype train for Deathly Hallows would have been rolling) is the obvious guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/28/01

Brenda Starr 10/7/45

Smokey Stover 5/14/39

Richard's Poor Almanac

Bonus Ad! They also serve who only stand and donut.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 29, 2021