Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Parahexavoctal posted:

Newspaper comic strips once had a much larger influence on popular culture than they do today. I'm aware of at least five cartoonists whose work led to the creation of new idioms. Most recently there's been Gary Larson, whose term 'thagomizer' (the arrangement of spikes on the tail of a stegosaurid) has been used by actual paleontologists, but there's also Al Capp, whose strip "Li'l Abner" introduced the notion of "Sadie Hawkins dances" and, more indirectly, "Skunk Works". The concept of the Rube Goldberg machine is named in honor of the ridiculously overcomplicated devices that Goldberg portrayed. Arthur "Pop" Momand's strip "Keeping Up with the Joneses" is now the name of a societal phenomenon.

The officially designated "U.S. Army Truck" got its common name from the Popeye character, Eugene the Jeep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Parahexavoctal posted:

Perhaps the question Popeye should ask is, is the person in Mister Brown's body actually Mister Brown?

...glory, glory, hallelujah..?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

My motherfucking life ends 15 minutes from now.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Alhazred posted:

TegneHanne
(DrawingHanne)

This is the strip that's replacing Zelda. Unlike Zelda it is explicitly based on the artist's, Hanne Sigbjørnsen, life. It also raised some discussion in Norway because she made some strips about her very traumatic birth and how she felt her hospital let her down.

I'm no mother but "that's how it is" is hitting.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm not sure if this is a "the customer is unreasonable" strip or a "the service person is unhelpful/Dustin is a fuckup" strip. It's structured like the former but the strip's bread and butter is very much the latter.

As hard as it is to believe, the past couple Dustin strips have been reasonable.

The smart money is on this being a fluke, but who knows? Maybe something has happened behind the scenes.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Yvonmukluk posted:

The problem is that Allison decided Wen-Tack, while apparently canon, wasn't really good enough to merit being posted online (which seems a bit harsh), so it can't be found easily. Some bold goon posted Wen-Tack last thread, but Allison posted a link to a pdf if anyone wants to see it again.

Allison is harsh on it, but it really does fall apart by the end.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah the BCN strips lately have been weird to me because she's treating it as "If sees shadow, six more weeks of winter, if doesn't, spring comes in six weeks" which would be the same, but I've always heard it as spring will happen earlier than six weeks if he doesn't see the shadow.

Then again the cats are pretty bad at understanding how things in the human world work at times so maybe that's part of the joke?

I've always heard it as: either six more weeks of winter or only a month and a half until spring.

That it adds up to the same number of days being the joke behind the tradition.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SubNat posted:

Moominposting

Is that a Jenny Haniver in panel two?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Huxley posted:

That's a cute baby, a reasonable gag, and only 3-4 words that sound like a 6th grader with a thesaurus.

Someone was posting early 9 strips a while back and they were all surprisingly competant.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Slammy posted:

Dark Laughter (September 20, 1941)

RIP Bootsie

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Johnny Walker posted:

I got 7 quarters, 13 dimes.

I got the same.

What grade are the Peanuts kids supposed to be in?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

PetraCore posted:

See, I interpreted it differently, which is that Gordon is a kid who loves his parents which is a position that makes it so much harder to really accept when they're hurting you and to try to get away. Obviously Lynn has her own complicated history, but part of that is I thought she was physically abused growing up, and she had a really hard time cutting her parents out of her life because the idea that 'family trumps all' had been so ingrained in her by her parents. So, uh, I don't think she's writing Gordon as 'everyone should just forgive me no matter what because I'm sad', but 'this is how I felt growing up about my parents'.

To add to this, abusive parents feeling remorse after the fact is a thing that can happen, and Gordon's reaction to that is not at all atypical.

Lynn isn't trying to make us feel bad for an abuser. Lynn is just depicting abuse.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Decorations like that are moderately commonly on barns in Pennsylvania and southern tier New York.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Yoooooooo this rules.

I mean yes, it is hideous, but it is superbly hideous.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (March 26-28, 1936; spoiler curtain for...um...the usual reasons)

God, this beautiful, mournful scene, and then out the window the dead horses legs poking out of the wagon like || ||

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

That untranslated strip of Moomin continues to cause problems.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Medenmath posted:

The Medieval Castle (Jun. 18, 1944)

Yo, this comic rules.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

catlord posted:

This wasn't supposed to be like this, I just thought it'd be funny to use the label as a censor bar and then...

This is incredibly cursed.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The_Other posted:

I like how Opus is thinking "is that a camera lens?" Also is that Nancy with a rifle above him?

Tommy gun, but yes.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Good Listener posted:

I like how she has a Smokey the Bear sticker on her laptop.

Check out the band poster.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Peppermint Patty strips really are an exception to "modern" Peanuts strips being bad. This one in particular hits different as an adult looking back at school and realizing how many of my problems there ultimately came down to parents not being around enough.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Good Listener posted:

Eric really into Fester-core.

A lot of Ballard Street has a low-key Adam's vibe.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I forgot about the stamps!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Oct. 15, 1944)

I'm going to be quite saddened if Beric goes the way of Gawain's squire.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (August 9, 1999)

This is a very true comic.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
what if I substituted sugar in place of flour in my roux

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Medenmath posted:

Prince Valiant

Schultz and Yeats really deserve credit; new Valiant holds up.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

In my final years of public school they stopped offering bus service to the high school students. I would have been poo poo out of luck in Jeremy's position.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The Bloop posted:

haha what the gently caress

where? There were still plenty of people without cars in my high school

A suburb north of Cincinnati. The district had no money, so when a local school budget bill failed to pass the district announced that they were forced to cut the bus route. It was commonly accepted that the measure was actually to punish the parents for not voting it through.

I ended up dropping out early my junior year (and finishing online). The place was a hell hole.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

:stare:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

holy poo poo

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Luann is incredibly high school.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The_Other posted:

Author Unknown? spoilered and timg for orgy scene

A welcome reprieve from "spoilered and timg for blackface."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Presto posted:

No, remember, she kissed him and then fled in a panic because I assume it's the first time she's touched another human being.

That was exactly it.

Luann is just incredibly high school.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 25, 2021

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

https://twitter.com/olivebrinker/status/1398041800552689666

https://twitter.com/olivebrinker/status/1398042125967802374

There are kinds of people.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

readingatwork posted:

Old School Peanuts (Oct 4, 1952)

I think this is the first old school Peanuts comic that gave me a "modern" Charlie Brown vibe.

Kennel posted:

Sluggo sees the bowl of hot soap water he just made and eats it anyway.

You don't turn away calories.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (September 20, 1999)

Get glasses, Arlo.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (July 24, 1993)

:getin:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kavak posted:

It is in Kelvins!

No, Calvin is in that other comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (June 8, 1974)

If the newer Peanuts strips were all Peppermint Patty focused it'd be remembered as a genuinely funny strip.