Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Watched Soul and thought it was alright. I can see kids either loving the super weirdness of the film or hating it. Either way it was weird enough for me, as an adult (who usually gets bored during pixar movies etc) to stay entertained for most of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Or just don't have Luke.

Like it's a fictional story. If something is dumb and bad you can rewrite it until it's not, or give up entirely.

You mean have a new Jedi show up as the badass 5-min fight cameo? But that wouldn't get the manchildren to squeal

you idiot

you buffoon

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Fat old luke would have been so much better

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Gripweed posted:

lmao I watched the Bill Burr episode. They murdered like 40 dudes for the crime of... trying to destroy an Imperial munitions convoy. Which they then did, but it's fine because they were the main characters and had accomplished their own personal goals, but the aliens were just nameless monsters whose deaths were of no importance.

This show can be dumb some times.

Well see, the problem was that the protagonist was in the truck the pirates tried to blow up. Hence why he defended himself. Was he supposed to just go "You guys have a just cause, I shall now relinquish my life, please kill me" and die?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
A lot of problematic potential thinking itt. Can we preemptively close the thread and ban everyone?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Can you imagine how awkward and embarrassing it would be if the soulless mushmouth IDF child murderer tried to be funny?

jesus christ dude

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

??

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
You only get "roidgut" if you abuse a specific steroid for years

poo poo, regular riskrfree steroids are legal in America. It's called TRT or testosterone replacement therapy

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Gentlemen was okay, but largely completely forgettable. Still think his best work is Snatch and Lock Stock

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Pedro Pascal played a pastiche of various character archetypes. Trump and sleazy businessmen was one part of it, TV evangelists another etc

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I hope the avatar movies go nuts and just eventually have the blue cat people invading earth

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
my dick would seem so small if I ever hosed a blue catalien. Would be so underwhelming

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Chernobyl is in fact, very good

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Stellan Skarsgård who played Boris Shcherbina did not have an English accent, he had a Swedish accent

get your facts straight buffoon

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Shes like 30 years old

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Does it have titters and / or cummies?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
A modern remake of The Blob could be the gnarliest poo poo ever.

But then that's what I thought a remake of The Thing could be as well. Then a remake of The Thing came out and it was just boring crap

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
How do you freaks remember this poo poo

I don't remember what my first anything was

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I don't get any ads at all, because I'm not a dummy

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Gross, there are viruses outside

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Galewolf posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw0RWnC28Gs&t=102s

The headmistress of the French girl wizard school :heysexy:

The movies were so god drat bad

And I never read even one Harry Potter book, which means I am way cooler than all the DORKS who did

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
People are lonely and horny more than ever before

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

hard counter posted:

i think people are reading way too much into the politics of harry potter, at least in so far as the existence of a secret wizarding society is definitely more of a conceit to transplant most of our world into that setting because in real life nobody has supernatural powers so the only way the two ideas could co-exist in a single piece of fiction, even in the mind of a child, is if people w/supernatural powers lived in secrecy with some kind of colossal ruse maintaining the illusion that they don't, it's a simple idea that works well with kids

that's absolutely a choice of setting, stuff like choosing to not to tear down the illusion at the end of the series in a revolutionary act is yet another conceit to let little kids make pretend that there's magic in the real world and that maybe one day they'll get their own letter from hogwarts, while other conceits like upper class wizards bullying low class wizards let little kids ground the fantastic with reflections of things not unlike their own experiences... and so on

i don't even like the books, i stopped at the second one and i don't regard the films as being especially good, but it's fair to say those types of literary conceits help create the immersion and sense of wonder that made the books so freakishly popular with kids in the first place

the problem is aging rear end harry potter fans, instead of eventually moving on to fiction targeted at adults where writers can deal more thoughtfully with all kinds of issues, just keep reading their one book through their now 30 year old eyes

hrary poter is for adults damnit, thats what my caretaker says

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Feel free to rewatch the Harry Potter movies. They are trash

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It ends with Mike using Jay as a condom in Rich

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Spartacus was a lot of fun but after the death of the main lead actor and then the storydeaths of all the fun "villains" the show should have ended tbh

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Return of the king was the weakest movie by far. Still, most of it was okay but the ending is legitimately bad. It's so drawn out and excessively saccharine

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Space Kablooey posted:

If CGI Luke is bad and recasting Luke is also bad, they can solve this conundrum by... not putting Luke there in the first place.

Yeah there was no need for Luke. He had zero presence in the overall story and it could have just been another Jedi master showing up. You know, a new character that maybe we could learn a bit about in the show?? His appearance wasn't even good. He shows up to kill a few pointless robots then goes back to his home planet instantly with basically zero interaction with our protagonist

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jan 25, 2021

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Gripweed posted:

No it had to be Luke. You guys are losing your heads, "some random Jedi" wouldn't have worked, your favorite comic book character that doesn't exist anymore wouldn't have worked, it had to be Luke. Think about it for a minute.

The whole show is about The Mandalorian protecting Grogu. Protecting Grogu was the quest that gave the guy purpose and let him form new connections with new people and get over his childhood trauma. And at the same time, it was established over and over again that if you have Grogu, you are a target. Mando became the number one target of the bounty hunters guild. all the other Mandalorians died, Nick Nolte died, etc. Protecting Grogu is super dangerous.

So when Mando gives up Grogu at the end of the show, it can't just be to some guy. That would feel cheap as hell, like the Mandalorian was foisting off his quest on some rando because he was tired of it. And it had to be to someone who the audience believed could protect Grogu.

They could've established a new character who would've been an appropriate Grogu carer, but that would've taken a few episodes. So if someone is going to swoop in at the end and take Grogu away, It had to be Luke,

Luke, who tried to kill one of his own students?

That guy?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Couldn't they just have gotten old luke? I didn't even realize the mandalorian took place so long before the new movies

Just get old luke, no CGI needed

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
RLM was cancelled the moment Rich "Hitler" Evans mocked Chinese people with racist charicatures and remarks

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

hard counter posted:

the realpolitik of got was pretty good but only for as long as there was this amazing, centralizing tension between the lawful, naive idealists and the ambitious chaos candidates under this backdrop of imminent cataclysm that was super prominent in the first three books imho

the problem with grrm's weirdly spontaneous version of the gardening method of plotting, other than writing himself into knots and getting stuck for, like, decades with no exit strategy, is he didn't develop much of a unifying theme or even underlying conjecture to help structure the rest of the series so i can absolutely understand why every season past 3 was weaker than the last until you end up with a finale that felt like nobody knew what they were doing anymore imho

Eh, the first four seasons set up enough stuff to finish the show with a nice war against the bad guys. The war just never came. The white walkers were finished off in an episode and Cersei just got shat on by dragons

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
They had a really cool shot of snow starting to fall in Kings Landing at the end of the show. We immediately went "poo poo yes, winter has finally come and it's about to go down :getin:"

Then they forgot this and winter disappeared and there was no snow in kings landing and nothing happened...

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The Wachowskis have made exactly one good movie and no, Speed Racer is not a good movie

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Black Widow had that one scene where she tricks Loki, which was good.

Arrow Man had no good scenes

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I thought Black Panther was mediocre before it was cool

People said I was mad

WHOS MAD NOW

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Wanda is one of the most powerful mutants in teh comics. Technically she could just do whatever she wants. She is basically a god who doesn't fully get her own powers

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The Robocop reboot was completely forgettable but this scene was legit great (and gross af)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFuxiZFwDPs

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Aren't all hollywoodians at least at the level of "enormous rear end in a top hat"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

mallratcal posted:

The only good thing from the 3D MK era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNkRvcUn6VM

This is real art.