Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Shard posted:

I really mean this - when I read nxt results nothing sticks. It's like reading names with no context of who anyone is. I can't visualize anything and I swear to god it's been years since I've seen anything exciting. Holy poo poo I know it's been bad a while but AEW is loving making them look like fools in stark contraction.
I have the exact same feeling except I get this vague image of their incredibly bland and awful sets sort of simmering in the back of my mind's eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Raskolnikov38 posted:

reminder: peacock's subscription plans are based around how much of the office you want to watch
Please explain this, though I'm not sure it can make me think any less of a service that appears to be an elaborate urine pun anyway

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I went out to see this ppv since I haven't seen my wwe watching friend since November or something and we're just lolling so hard by the end.

I will say the important lesson of the night: Oreo crumb buttercream is delicious. Make that.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Eat My Fuc posted:

World Wrestling Enematainment, now on the Pee Cock Network
I got yelled at for making fun of the peacock streaming service but I won't yell at you.

Aye Doc posted:

also how did the miz manage to perform all of 3 actions and not a single one of them looked crisp or impactful or cool
leading researchers assigned to the case after watching 17.6 seconds of footage have determined their stunning conclusion: The Miz isn't a very good wrestler.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Becky seems a bit sharper than the rest of the clod carnies so she'll probably be like "no I'm not risking my newborn in the covidzone"

But there is a live crowd at mania of some size? I think?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

IcePhoenix posted:

Is the live WrestleMania crowd not what you were referring to when you mentioned the covidzone?
I think per individual WWE has way higher covid cases per person than a random 15k wrestlefans

So no I mean being anywhere near WWE

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I'm not saying Karrion Kross is bad, he's probably fine to good or whatever, but drat is he ever the goofiest looking dude when I don't understand why. He's like a pair of googly eyes that went to the gym a bunch and got some tattoos. He's still googly eyes. That's all I can see.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Vagabundo posted:

Are we talking about his first win or his second win?
The second win.

I'm still lolling since people were saying MITB was/is stale bad and I was like naw it's fine, then WWE just uses it to blow a fart in our face, I was so wrong

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Vandar posted:

I still miss Zelina Vega and her Hunk Squad. :sigh:
The Tony Khan interview gave me hope for seeing that one in AEW

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Senerio posted:

Santana, Ortiz, and Sammy as Thea's new hunk squad.
Wow that actually sounds fantastic.

Call them Thea's Company.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

One of the trends through the last two years of firing is that if someone hints at having brain injuries or brain problems, they seem to end up fired.

Enzo (who is evil, let's be clear) made the claim that WWE (also evil) was aware of Big Cass having mental illness problems and got rid of him over that.

Or at least he seemed to from the snippets of an interview I'm not watching because Enzo.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

If this is true, expect Sasha Banks on the chopping block soon.
It applies to half the roster it's just relevant to some of the "Vince guys" people are surprised get fired.

Half might be lowballing it.

Jack's tattoo puts Cody's to shame. Like yeah the neck tattoo is dumb, but Jack takes his shirt off and there's like a mermaid looking at the saddest nipple boat and it's an entire narrative of what the gently caress.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I honestly thought they (being nxt) already had women's tag titles then looked it up and they did that whole tournament to fizzle it with a run in? Am I reading this right?

Blooming Brilliant posted:

The one positive of the Bayley feud was that it stopped this forum going "... well WWE won't be able to gently caress up THIS superstar!"
People still do it but "can't miss performer" is now something said with such sarcasm you shrug so hard your spine goes liquid and you slurp out of your chair while rolling your eyes.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

flatluigi posted:

they're going to call up that guy from nxt that was already supposed to be not-tony khan and have him dance around with sparklers for ten minutes
That sounds too entertaining. You have good ideas, they won't have those.

Cole saying something drivel seems more likely.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Golden Bee posted:

If shane wasn’t in this program, there might be room for Alastair Ricochet or buddy Murphy. I think it’s heroic he’s going to get one number in his bank account to go up slightly
Lolling at the idea of Vince paying his failson more to wrestle

He just carts him out to embarrass him and maybe he's potentially trying to kill him

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Shane is perfectly serviceable as a face authority figure. He's relatively likeable as a face, his delivery is fine, and he sells really well.

The first problem is they start with an idea, realize "no one will like this" and instead of not doing it they make him heel.

The second problem is a face authority needs friends and allies and WWE has no ability to make likeable humans that like and help each other. And generally face authorities don't really make any sense since no one makes any sense but now they're in charge. But I think he was fine in some of the stuff a couple years ago. The whale noises were at least memorable.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Alaois posted:

lmao remember the draft
Tangentially related but I came across this yesterday: If someone isn't drafted the official WWE roster page just shows them as leaving the brand and becoming a just WWEr

https://www.thesmackdownhotel.com/wrestlers/mojo-rawley

so poor Mojo just floats in cold blackness looking lost and alone (same with Andrade)

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Rarity posted:

He's been sent back to the PC to go through Fat Camp
If rumors are correct his contract actually is up in about a month and I would love to see HHH trying to convince Keith Lee to stay when "you sent me to fat camp" is in the conversation

But, again, rumors

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Dacap posted:

Is the contract part true? I thought everyone gets a new contract when they move up from NXT now?
I don't know. The rumor is the change is, during the pandemic, you do not get a new contact (and thereby a raise) since "main roster" in their mind entails touring and you aren't touring. That they promised them they'd up their contracts when the pandemic ended.

Underpaying people is just as WWE as hyper restrictive contracts for supposed not-employees, so... And as people said, they just moved a guy into for a hatchet job so things are probably going to be interesting following mania.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Rarity posted:

Bros before hos :cripes:
What about no bros, no hos, only ZIGGLERS

also wtf

quote:

Nia Jax and Shayna Baszler took Reginald on a shopping spree. Romantic music played when he asked Jax how he could repay her.
I pay very little attention but didn't this guy start as Carmella's wine bottle dude or whatever?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Vagabundo posted:

Baszler should have also been Raw Women's Champion last year, but Vince kept pulling the rug out from underneath her feet. Looking at how things are turning out for her and Asuka, it's quite interesting that this seems to keep happening to non-white NXT women's champions.
Not to say Vince isn't racist, but they treat basically all women out of NXT like this. Or all the women. It feels like all their pushes are very stop/start, and it feels like on any given week they might forget to use them or forget who they are.

Like, note Rhea Ripley's "move" to the main roster. I say that knowing it's entirely possible she shows up and wins the title while they job out Bianca.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Chris James 2 posted:

They all love the money, half of them just also think the horror stories are either exaggerated or "it'll be different for Me" (it is never, ever different for them)
The money isn't it, if rumor is to believed.

I forget who said it here, but someone referred to wrestlers as a sub-culture of "temporarily embarrassed champions" and that perfectly sums up why they all sign.

Most of them believe in the "wrestlemania dream". The thing I do wonder about is whether or not we're in a bubble of people who realize how unpleasant being in nxt / the low ranks of the main roster are, and wrestlers live in an entirely different ideaspace.

Orange Carlisle posted:

The best part of new signings is remembering all the legit talent they've let go recently because record profits weren't enough to keep them around

But hey, lets sign a shitload of new people we can release during the next round of 'oops, all profits!'
You can probably sign 10-20 "new talent" for each Miro you release. Cezar Bononi talked like he wasn't being paid a proper living wage.

I've mentioned this before but a lot of the people who were released played hard ball with Vince. All it takes is a general sentiment to go through the roster that negotiating too hard gets you in trouble and a lot of young wrestlers will tell themselves once they're a "main eventer", then they'll start pushing for real pay.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

shiksa posted:

*checking notes* losing to charlotte that cant be right
That's so strange. Why do all your notes say the same thing?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I know what you mean, but I can totally see Vince having a talent like Cobb and then writing him off into catering with a storyline ready to go and not even bothering.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Fastlane, outside the lore of the Fiend, felt like the perfect encapsulation of Sports Entertainment getting in the way of enjoying Wrestling. Good wrestlers in the background while Sports Entertainment takes a dump in the foreground.

Hirez posted:

It seems weird to take paternity leave before your baby is born, instead of after (or both)... Wouldn't you wanna be with your kid after he's born? Instead Seth's fucks off (although I guess they're probably all in Florida together, eitherway Seth sucks and I'm with Shayna
I think he was out a while and came back a bit after the birth but I don't really want to dig around over Seth Rollins. It reads like the kid was born in December or so?

Also no it seems immensely weird to not support your wife in the last month of her pregnancy.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

kitten emergency posted:

The fiend outfit looked like absolute garbage
It looks like a literal garbage fire was involved.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Reality Protester posted:

now release Tommy End
I feel like they're going to. Something in the recent hirings and Tall Paul's comments make me feel like Vince has stopped giving a poo poo for the moment.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

abraham linksys posted:

im sure rhea ripley's time on the main roster will go as well as shayna, nikki cross, ruby riot,
It'll be a dud then she'll relaunch with eight weeks of vignettes as Rhemma Riplina

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Benne posted:

Feels like everyone is kinda dancing around the fact that Edge is super washed and clearly never the big star people assumed he was.
This forum is littered with debris piles stacked over "can't miss" talents that WWE buried or misused. There's a gif of a choo choo noise in this thread. Why would a returning Edge be somehow immune to being in WWE?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

oldpainless posted:

I’m sure it’s been explained but it still boggles my mind that NBC paid 1 billion dollars for a product that has vanishingly smaller audiences and cultural impact. Maybe Bad Bunny swung the scales.
I just think back to that Fox exec facepalming and wonder how these companies keep lining up for this

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

MJeff posted:

I watched some youtube clips of SmackDown and I cannot believe how much of a giant loving dork Roman is. They found him some chair in a conference room with a bunch of photos of Rays players in the background and it's supposed to be cool and intimidating. gently caress me. :lol:
During Fastlane there was a shot during the atrocious mania ad of Roman with Paul on a pirate ship in front of an undersized (or out of scale) table and I lost my mind laughing. Head of the tiny, tiny table.

It's astounding how much they sabotage even people we believe they like.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Pylons posted:

Especially with the bombshell that they didn't like the visual of Cole beating Drew I think Cole will never move up.
If the full rumor is correct - NXT stars were new contracted for (slightly?) better pay when NXT moved to USA in 2019, but don't receive better pay when promoted 'during the pandemic' - I can't imagine he's eager to head to main roster with all the news he had heard.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Wazzu posted:

I've never seen Tucker show anything beyond lower card.
He was good with Otis in the sense that the splashy goofball with cocaine energy needed another acceptable hoss to play off.

Alone yeah, he's very very dull.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

1glitch0 posted:

What does HHH even do?
Fail repeatedly. It's hard work.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

flatluigi posted:

I missed it, what actually happened here
They broke them off the Hurt Business to... something?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

reignofevil posted:

I don't keep careful track or anything but I feel like Roman has been doing better with his core strength since he got his hernia worked on. If instead of having him do 20 minute naps in the middle of triple threat matches they had him go get his medical procedure done in a timely manner maybe he wouldn't leave such a bad taste in my mouth.
Yeah, this is a generally unacknowledged part of the company sabotaging him earlier and why he's so much better having come back rested up and healed.

The complete inability to understand cycling performers on and off the very active duty roster is a big part of Vince being a moron, but, alas that pile is very large.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

If they announce NXT Evolve as has been rumored it turns into 12 days straight of WWE programming

Blaise330 posted:

The saddest part of this 9 day gauntlet is that Jeru won't be sharing it with us
Is he ok?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Tweak posted:

this was posted in the wrong thread... right?
Do we have an NXT UK thread?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Dango Bango posted:

He won't even text Pillman Jr. back :ohdear:
BPJ's idea was either a good joke delivered deadpan, or a very very stupid wrestler telling us his very very stupid idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

karmicknight posted:

Holy poo poo, that would be perfect, you are correct that it would not be worth the money. But I'm sure "regular on-screen character Steve loving Austin" would open a lot of doors for TV deals and the like.
BPJ described wanting stone cold to be like, an old coach with a whistle and sweat pants, yelling about like 'drop and give me twenty!' jump jacks and that whole trope.