Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

A nomination in the Violence As Art category, and a special How Do I Explain To My Wife Why I'm Crying commendation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

And referee/corner incompetence

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

https://twitter.com/JESnowden/status/1350603249020239872

Glad that they were able to do in-ring interviews without social distancing

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

So was Dana's big announcement that Khabib might maybe possibly come out of retirement perhaps?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LobsterMobster posted:

While we wait for the Best & Worst of 2021 thread, I want to note these things from today's event:

Performance of the Year - Max Holloway vs Calvin Kattar

Insult/Trash Talk of the Year - Max Holloway saying "oh, I'm a freshman?" (referencing Kattar saing that he's a senior when it comes to boxing and Max is a freshman), in the 5th round while dodging punches

Could make an argument for Joaquin Buckley to be overhyped underperforming for losing by KO to a guy on a three fight losing skid, but ehhh

doging punches, looking away and landing really loving hard shots of his own. It wasn't a great fight, since Holloway pulled away as much as he did, but it was a loving incredible performance. Kind of like Dillashaw Barao.

Holloway has always been good, but he just keeps getting better. What a loving fighter.

Also, this was just a fun as gently caress card. Even the heavyweight fight was really good.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

CommonShore posted:

https://twitter.com/JESnowden/status/1350603249020239872

Glad that they were able to do in-ring interviews without social distancing

rip big man :(

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I'm very pleased that someone outrageously cool and good like Max has surpassed the record of blows landed and the leader of that is no longer Colby Covington. For added measure, something I would use to troll Colby's fans on twitter a while back is showing what the recipient of colby's hundreds of punches looked like (hint: iirc they looked like someone mildly fell off of their bike in their own driveway).

If someone has some time, would they be able to get a comparison shot of what the recipient of Colby's record volume punches looked like at the end of their fight vs what Max's opponent looked like? Want to tuck that one away for safe keeping :D

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I haven't watched UFC in a while due to some personal stuff goin on but I'm :c00l: again and was trying to watch max fight while I was on call at work & on the phone with some lady in pittsburgh in her 40s or 50s who knew what UFC was, knew who conor was, and what weight class he fought at, but didn't know he was fighting next weekend. That was pretty cool. Speaking of, RIP to our threads next week cause Conor fights always bring in the dumbest, shittiest loving posters on this entire website and the GDT threads are not funny and cool and fun like they usual are but I will stay strong

mewse
May 2, 2006

I haven't been watching ufc recently either so I'll make sure to come back for the conor card to make some bad posts in the GDT. Like real dogshit posts

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Saving up all my "fan who doesn't pay attention to the sport and assumes Conor has been the champ this entire time and remains unbeaten" takes for next weekend.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The votes from the Best & Worst of 2020 are in and have tabulated. Please enjoy what we, the community of Goons who watch MMA have decided were the highlights and lowlights of 2020. If you want to help decide which moments we will remember for MMA in 2021 please don't forget to make nominations once the Best & Worst of MMA in 2021 thread is posted.

The Best

Fighter of the Year
1 - Deiveson Figueiredo
2 - Kevin Holland
3 - Jan Blachowicz

Favorite Fighter of the Year
1 - Dustin Poirier
2 - Deiveson Figueiredo/Justin Gaethje
3 - Kevin Holland/Amanda Nunes/Joaquin Buckley/AJ McKee

Fight of the Year
1 - Weilei Zhang vs Joanna Jedrezjczyk
2 - Deiveson Figueiredo vs Brandon Moreno
3 - Tony Ferguson vs Justin Gaethje

Weight Division of the Year
1 - Men's Lightweight
2 - Men's Flyweight
3 - Women's Strawweight

Best Major Show of the Year
1 - UFC 249
2 - UFC 256
3 - UFC Fight Night: Woodley vs Covington

Performance of the Year
1 - Justin Gaethje vs Tony Ferguson
2 - Khabib Nurmagomedov vs Justin Gaethje
3 - Israel Adesanya vs Paulo Costa

Round of the Year
1 - Deiveson Figueiredo vs Brandon Moreno, R5
2 - Brandon Royval vs Kai Kara-France, R1
3 - Justin Gaethje vs Tony Ferguson, R4

KO of the Year
1 - Joaquin Buckley
2 - Beneil Dariush
3 - Alex Pereira

Sub of the Year
1 - AJ Mckee (neck crank on Darrion Caldwell)
2 - Jack Hermansson (heelhook on Kelvin Gastelum)
3 - Jimmy Flick (flying triangle on Cody Durden)

Breakout Fighter of the Year
1 - Kevin Holland
2 - Joaquin Buckley
3 - Deiveson Figueiredo

Most Improved Fighter of the Year
1 - Jan Blachowicz
2 - Deiveson Figueiredo
3 - Brandon Moreno

Upset of the Year
1 - Roxanne Modafferi def. Maycee Barber
2 - Jan Blachowicz def. Dominick Reyes
3 - Marlon Vera def. Sean O'Malley

Comeback of the Year
1 - Derrick Lewis vs Alexei Oleinyk
2 - Alexander Volkanovski vs Max Holloway
3 - Deiveson Figueiredo vs Brandon Moreno

The Worst of the Year

Worst Fight of the Year
1 - Tyron Woodley vs Colby Covington
2 - Amanda Nunes vs Felicia Spencer/Yana Kunitskaya vs Julija Stoliarenko

Worst Major Show of the Year
1 - Bellator 237
2 - UFC 249 (the lead up to it)
3 - Bellator: Cyborg vs Blencoe

Foul of the Year
1 - Raymond Daniels, spinning backick to opponents groin
2 - Shawn West, illegal knee to Boston Salmon
3 - Deiveson Figueiredo, dick kick on Brandon Moreno

Worst Refereeing Incompetence of the Year
1 - Jason Herzog, not stopping the Smith vs Texeira fight sooner & role in the Daniels/Stanonik DQ
2 - Kerry Hatley, letting Vadim Nemkov beat on Ryan Bader for a prolonged period
3 - Chris Tognoni, body of work

Worst Judging Incompetence of the Year
1 - Nunes vs Spencer not having more than one round scored a 10-8
2 - Chris Lee, scoring the Felder/RDA fight in Felder's favor
3 - Joe Soliz, scoring the Martinez vs Ewell fight 30-27 for Ewell, and scoring Jones vs Reyes 49-46 for Jones

Worst Coach Gameplan of the Year
1 - Letting Maycee Barber continue to fight despite clearly having a damaged knee
2 - Anthony Smith's corner collecting his knocked out teeth and letting him keep fighting vs Glover Texeira
3 - Trevor Wittman telling Justin Gaethje he is 8 low kicks away from breaking Khabib Nurmagomedov

Worst Booking Decision of the Year
1 - Tyron Woodley vs Colby Covington being booked years after it was relevant or worthwhile
2 - Cynthia Calvillo vs Jessica Eye being a main event/Bellator booking Quinton Rampage Jackson vs Fedor Emelianenko/UFC (& later others) putting on events during a pandemic
3 - Taking Alex Perez out of fight with Brandon Moreno to book him versus Deiveson Figueiredo while Moreno was healthy and ready to fight/Booking fights for Greg Hardy/Booking Amanda Nunes vs Felicia Spencer/Booking Shogun vs Lil Nog 3 in 2020

Dumbest Career Move of the Year
1 - Jon Jones doing a lot of dumb stuff (breaking quarantine, aligning with a right wing militia, etc.)
2 - Alexander Gustafsson moving to Heavyweight
3 - Mike Perry doing lots of dumb stuff with video evidence/Nick Diaz teasing a return the whole year

Best Post-Fight Interview of the Year
1 - Wallid Ismail speaking on behalf of Deiveson Figueiredo
2 - Israel Adesanya's whole commentary and remarks after beating Paulo Costa
3 - Amanda Nunes saying "she tried" after beating up Felicia Spencer

Worst Attempt at Hype of the Year
1 - UFC focusing on Aniah Blanchard's murder in an attempt to promote Walt Harris' upcoming fight
2 - Fight Island, the buildup & secrecy that led to "it's just in Abu Dhabi"
3 - Aljamain Sterling saying he is coming in and around for Petr Yan's rear end

Most Overhyped/Underperformed Fight (or Fighter) of the Year
1 - Dominick Reyes
2 - Jorge Masvidal vs Kamaru Usman
3 - Justin Gaethje's wrestling/Edmen Shahbazyan

The Comedy of 2020

Best Trash Talk of the Year
1 - "If I wanted a black belt I'd wrap my dick around my waist" - Israel Adesanya (after KO'ng Paolo Costa)
2 - "Wipe your booger" - Kevin Holland (prior to KO'ng Joaquin Buckley)
3 - "Listen to Bisping" - Dustin Poirier (mid-fight to Dan Hooker)

Best Comedic Moment in MMA of the Year
1 - Tara La Rosa's whole 2020, losing her home in a trailer fire, aligning with the Proud Boys organization then later getting kicked out for attempting to form a female version called Proud Girls
2 - Bethe Correia mistaking the 10 second warning clapper for the round bell
3 - Chase Hooper pranking Jorge Masvidal by making him think Ben Askren was Hooper's dad.

Greatest Schadenfreude of the Year
1 - Tara La Rosa getting kicked out of the Proud Boys for attempting to form an all female wing
2 - Sean O'Malley refusing to accept he lost to Marlon Vera
3 - Ion Cutelaba being over the top at weigh-ins, faking being hurt versus Magomed Ankalaev, then losing in the rematch

Greatest Social Media Presence of the Year
1 - Angela Hill
2 - Luis "Violent Bob Ross" Pena
3 - @BorrachinaDepot on Twitter for their chronicling of Tito Ortiz's interviews/public appearances

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Am so glad i decided not to vote due to feeling i didnt watch enough MMA this year because this is literally the first time I have seen Deiveson Figueiredo's name. I have no idea who he is.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Lil Davey Figgs is a nightmare of fists and knees and elbows and shins that destroyed Joe Benavidez, destroyed him a second time and had an amazing 3 week turnaround at the end of the year to defend the flyweight title twice in 21 days

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

LobsterMobster posted:

Lil Davey Figgs is a nightmare of fists and knees and elbows and shins that destroyed Joe Benavidez, destroyed him a second time and had an amazing 3 week turnaround at the end of the year to defend the flyweight title twice in 21 days

Not only that, but he's a hair stylist, a sushi chef, a cowboy, and the first line on his Wikipedia page is, "Figueiredo was born in the small city of Soure, Para, Brazil where buffaloes roam freely."

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Not only that, but he's a hair stylist, a sushi chef, a cowboy, and the first line on his Wikipedia page is, "Figueiredo was born in the small city of Soure, Para, Brazil where buffaloes roam freely."

FERDINAND

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004
I really hope Volk doesn't get forced into another Max fight after Ortega if he wins. I don't see how he doesn't immediately get a rematch versus Max if he loses the belt since he's beaten him twice.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Welcome to UFC 270 - Volkanovski vs Holloway 7!

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

there was a moment early in round 1 where it looked like Max realized very suddenly, this dude doesn't have a chance, and then he proceeded to wallop him for 23 and a half or so minutes straight

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I wonder if the skies are not cloudy all day

I'm blown away at how much damage kattar was allowed to take last night. If your fighter loses 50-42 then why the hell was he sent out or the fight not stopped after 4?

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

ilmucche posted:

I wonder if the skies are not cloudy all day

I'm blown away at how much damage kattar was allowed to take last night. If your fighter loses 50-42 then why the hell was he sent out or the fight not stopped after 4?

Because comebacks and finishes exist and it's a lil late to avoid cte when you're already cte'd for 3 rounds, whereas if you get enough cte in a short time it will reset to 0

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Next UFC card is on Wednesday at 9am ET. Excellent timing Dana

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

awesomeolion posted:

Because comebacks and finishes exist and it's a lil late to avoid cte when you're already cte'd for 3 rounds, whereas if you get enough cte in a short time it will reset to 0

It gets worse the longer the fight goes and most deaths happen when fights go into later rounds, especially in horrific beatdowns like that fight. Basically the entire opposite of this post.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

https://twitter.com/espnmma/status/1350641969056374785

:swoon:

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
This is an odd thing to say five minutes after finishing punching another man in the head as hard as you can 350+ times.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

WhiteHowler posted:

This is an odd thing to say five minutes after finishing punching another man in the head as hard as you can 350+ times.

it's his job to punch other men as hard as he can until the ref or the corner step in. which they really should have.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

WhiteHowler posted:

What would you suggest he should have done instead

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

beep by grandpa posted:

Nothing, I just thought the discordance was amusing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

beep by grandpa posted:

Leg kick KO.

Seriously though, so as much damage as you can -- that's the sport. I wonder if DC had come around yet on no sparring the last two weeks.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The point he's making is that if you're going to take that damage, it's only worth it to take it in a main event when you're getting paid, not in training or in z-league cards trying to make a name for yourself.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, he's definitely arguing more for not taking unnecessary damage. Don't go all out for no money, don't do unnecessary sparring, don't go too hard if you spar. Save all of that for the fight and you'll have a longer career.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Max is great
https://streamable.com/i5xu63

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

To the extent that fighters are scouted with videos/ highlights of their past fights, I think getting picked for the big leagues still favors fighters who are willing to bite down on their mouthpiece and work through getting rocked.
Obviously there's lots of ways to reduce damage from training, but with people like Dana White as promoters, clean fighters who don't want to brawl in the early passes of their career are at a disadvantage.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

We don't deserve him

I also want to hear him do commentary with DC in particular. Just hear him say 'it is what it is' over and over the whole night.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Foul Fowl posted:

it's his job to punch other men as hard as he can until the ref or the corner step in. which they really should have.

The ref stopping the match comes up after these one sided fights, but I don’t think the ref can stop a fight just because one guy is getting schooled? AFAIK the guy needs to be unconscious, unable to defend himself, or have a fight stopping injury. I’d be fine if a ref did stop a beatdown, but it doesn’t seem like they’re supposed to until the guy has already been destroyed.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

blue footed boobie posted:

The ref stopping the match comes up after these one sided fights, but I don’t think the ref can stop a fight just because one guy is getting schooled? AFAIK the guy needs to be unconscious, unable to defend himself, or have a fight stopping injury. I’d be fine if a ref did stop a beatdown, but it doesn’t seem like they’re supposed to until the guy has already been destroyed.

They stop fights for guys being outclassed in boxing and kickboxing all the time.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

unable to defend himself

For all intents and purposes, Kattar wasn't able to keep from getting hit by Max round 4.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

oh hey
https://twitter.com/MikeBohnMMA/status/1350592204486692866

sure. sounds cool. let's go stipe

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

They could stop it whenever they want

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

it happens in other combat sports and even regional MMA all the time, one guy clearly on the receiving end of a beatdown so the ref stops the fight even if he's on his feet. ufc refs are way too lenient, probably at least partially because that's how the fighters like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i was thinking about it being a title fight which maybe is why you'd give the guy every available chance but somewhere around round 4 i think letting him go on is a bad decision on a lot of people's part.