Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CPL593H posted:

The guy in Batman Forever who sees him jumping through the skylight and goes "Batman, eeeeeeaaaaaaaah!".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW0NTzt9uaE&ab_channel=BatmanTheMovies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Baron Porkface posted:

Is there a movie that has a pimp doing an actual pimp walk?

Dolomite probably. Probably some other blaxploitation flicks.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The hilarious thing about Lexi Alexander saying a good chunk of old cinema is irredeemably racist/sexist is she also has an extensive collection of 80s toys.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lexi Alexander is incredibly outspoken about the mistreatment of Palestine by Israel so I'm like 90% certain she's been blacklisted by most of the industry.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CPL593H posted:

That makes it even more baffling that she'd do a SUPPORT ARE TROOPS movie. But yeah, that'll do it.

She's got a thing for stories about men forced to do violence. I listened to an interview where she talks about being like 90% of the way to starting filming a movie about Chris Benoit but stopped because she realized it was too hosed up even for her.

One of her more regular TV gigs was directing episodes of a SWAT remake I only know exists because she worked on it and if you follow her twitter she's most definitely not a fan of cops.

She's iconoclastic and an important voice but I definitely don't agree with her 100% and I'm pretty sure she'd say you shouldn't agree with any celebrity 100%.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it kinda rules how much directing one okay Punisher movie went to her head

Other films biting from it hard and then being blacklisted for speaking out against an apartheid state probably contributed to some of that.

And Green Street Hooligans was a critical darling before Punisher: War Zone.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Good point keep talkin posted:

Well it's since spiraled into her trying to get a kid booted out of college so it's clear something went to her head

https://twitter.com/TheEpicDept/status/1362480950349807618

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WfRcnF4iZI&ab_channel=DarkLegend

What did the kid she's trying to get kicked out of school actually say, I'm not seeing that in any of the tweets?

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 18, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

I can't tell ya what he meant but I read it as no one will come at her on Twitter.

And my mistake he used the wording "people won't go after you"

God Dammit, why was this the hill she decided to die on?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, more than any other twitter melt down this one hurts. Over people saying a white male NYT writer refusing to watch films more than 45 years old was being a dumbass.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think there's a significant (and older, and more influential) segment of the American movie-going audience that just hates abstraction and artifice. It's this nexus of people who prefer "realism" even when it's loving hideous, the attitude that cartoons are exclusively for children, a little bit of chauvinism towards other countries whose filmmaking industries don't always have the budget to make everything look photorealistic, and probably some other factors I haven't thought of.

One manifestation of this is that, rather than making films like Who Killed Roger Rabbit where two aesthetic worlds overlap while remaining distinct, you get movies where Sonic looks like a disgusting blue rat because you're only allowed one aesthetic at a time and that's what Sonic "would" look like in real life.

e: I might be overstating the extent to which the fear of artifice, the fear of silliness, and the love of uniformity are the same phenomenon, and it's very possible that some of them will outlive the others. They all seem pretty tightly intertwined to me for the moment, though.

I agree with everything you say in this, but just lol at the idea of going for realism in a film where, even before there's any CGI, you have Jim Carrey playing a character named Dr Robotnik.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I will say, as someone who was way too into Arrow and saw every episode as it aired, the episode Lexi Alexander directed wasn't bad, but didn't stand out at all compared to any random episode where they were just like "writing team got tired of writing Olicity drama, let the stunt team do whatever the gently caress they want for 20 minutes straight, give them a steady cam."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

therattle posted:

No no, it’s because she’s been blacklisted for supporting Israel. Don’t tell anyone but The Jews run Hollywood. And they act in concert behind the scenes to further their aims. (It’s not some kind of Jewish media-controlling conspiracy though). That’s why we haven’t heard from Mel Gibson for years, and Ken Loach’s films don’t get US distribution.

The blacklisting idea is because she doesn't support Israel, and it's loving evangelical Christians that will cancel you faster for not supporting Israel than American Jews.

Edit: It's also entirely possible possible she doesn't get more work both because she has correct but unpopular political ideals and is terrible to work with. One will often compound the effect of the other, "I know he's a tyrant on the set, but he says all the right things to all the right people" "Yeah she's a firebrand, but when you're shooting with her everything works smoothly."

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 19, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It's actually sorta hosed up that criticizing Israel as a state for committing genocide against the Palestinian people is considered more anti-semitic than screaming "the Jews control everything you loving oval office" in a drunken rant at a female cop that pulled you over for a DUI.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

therattle posted:

Uh huh. The evangelical Christians who are commonly thought to wield a lot of power in Hollywood? I’m sorry, I’m calling bullshit.

Here is an article about various people taking a stand against Israel (albeit indirectly in some cases): Viggo Mortensen, Mark Ruffalo, John Cusack, James Schamus... all of whom seem to be doing ok.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/filmmakers-back-right-boycott-israel-german-festival-controversy-1123831

So I don’t know how much backlisting because of support for Palestine really goes on.

I will defer to your obviously superior knowledge of how the movie industry works, since you work in it and I don't, I just took offense at what I thought was you equating criticism of Israel with being anti-semitic, which I now don't believe you were trying to do.

I will point out all the people you mentioned speaking out against Israel and being fine with their careers are white men and Lexi Alexander is a German/Palestinian woman.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 19, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

therattle posted:

To whom exactly were you referring when you said “most of the industry”? Because I don’t think you meant evangelical Christians. I think you meant it as Jews blacklisting her because of her views on Palestine. Which is getting awfully close to “Jews control Hollywood and blacklist anyone who criticises Israel”.

I dunno, maybe I’m being paranoid or over-sensitive but that first post about blacklisting definitely set off an alarm bell in me.

Point taken about men being ok. I definitely think misogyny could be a factor.

I think if you say anything against Israel's campaign of genocide a bazillion different groups will spend a lot of money to try and destroy you and most of those groups aren't run or organized by jewish people. Look at what they've tried to do to Ilhan Omar.

Edit: I'm starting to understand why Lexi Alexander goes full on gently caress You at criticism, since me pointing out criticism of Israel often gets misconstrued as anti-semitism get's me accused of anti-semitism.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 19, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CPL593H posted:

That's a cop out. The thing I mentioned above is a perfect example of her just being a needlessly hostile dipshit who is so loving fragile she's trying to smear some college kid over a comment she made about old movies.

I would prefer to not be accused of saying "Jews control all the media" the moment I point out criticising Israel often has political or profesional repercussions. If that happened to me on this forum from someone I generally respect I can't imagine what a half Palestinian woman who actually works in the industry dealt with.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Getting pissed off at possibly being slandered doesn't give her the right to be a complete rear end in a top hat to people. Talking down to and silencing a black woman who gave her some very polite constructive criticism and trying to gently caress up some kid's life because he dared to comment on something she said, without even naming her, on twitter is rear end in a top hat poo poo. She's an rear end in a top hat.

I'm not saying she was right I'm saying I understand why she flew off the handle. There's a bunch of poo poo I typed and deleted because I thought better of it and realized it would only make things worse.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CPL593H posted:

To be clear I wasn't trying to paint you with that brush and when I said "That's a cop out" I was talking about her not you. Yeah but she flew off the handle because of something completely unrelated and nowhere near as inflammatory as being called an anti-Semite. The thing she was making GBS threads her pants about is completely trivial.

I just suspect, and I making up reasons and excuses for someone I don't know, that she gets viciously attacked for reasonable opinions so constantly that when she has a completely dumb rear end opinion and gets some pushback she just instinctually goes into "gently caress You" mode.

Like if Huey P Newton is having a sit down with Nixon and J Edgar Hoover (I know the timeline doesn't fit, but just go with the metaphor) and 5 hours in they order pizza and Newton says some dumb bullshit like "extra pineapple on the pepperoni" and Nixon says it's a terrible pizza, Huey Newton is gonna react the same way as he did 4 hours ago when Nixon said black people aren't smart enough to vote.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I don't have the energy for this.

You're right, this is poo poo I should have typed out and then deleted. Mods please give me a probe if I bring up anything about this again unprompted.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I Before E posted:

Huey is right on both counts though

I like pineapple and pepperoni too, it just seemed like the obvious choice for an unpopular but ultimately inconsequential opinion.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CPL593H posted:

On a lighter note. Rush Limbaugh remains dead and we're all better off for it.

You should only say good things about the dead.

Rush Limbaugh is dead.

Good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Imagine being so vile that millions of people celebrate your death.

Some people are throwing a party, I'm not.

Just some drinks and snacks with friends.

(I'm stealing jokes about Margaret Thatcher's death)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CPL593H posted:

If I could have seen any of my friends the other day I actually would have bought a cake and got together with some people. As it turns out I did have a delicious piece of rainbow cake in the freezer so I thawed it out and had some gay cake in honor of a vehement homophobe. The sheer vitriol directed at Limbaugh when he died was like a fine wine. It was a good time and I was cracking up at all the stuff people were sending me with jokes at his expense.

I did not like Rush Limbaugh.

Every single thing about his life was devoted to making things worse for other people, the cancer that killed him was less of a cancer than he was.

The really fun thing about his death is a bunch of people you didn't always agree with, but didn't hate, are gonna say nice things about him, so you get to find out they were garbage human beings.

My dad has gotten way to into watching MSNBC (at least it's not Fox, I keep telling myself) and I was pleasantly surprised that Joy Ann Reid's bit about him was just reminding people how completely vile he was.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I've said this in other threads and maybe even in this one already,

The only sad thing about Rush Limbaugh's death is that it didn't happen decades earlier.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Has Al Franken said anything about Limbaugh's death, this is probably a perfect opportunity for him to relaunch his political career.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

1) You should absolutely watch the first two Bill and Ted films, they're excellent.
2) Why would anyone have any interest in watch Bill and Ted 3 if they haven't seen the first 2?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

Her level of obsession with continuing to hammer on this issue, even after disabling and then reinstating her account, is just...troubling tbqh.

Show me on the doll where a movie from 1967 touched you.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CPL593H posted:

The only social media I have is Facebook and I don't use my real name or face. And the only reason I even have facebook is that it's how I keep in contact with some people. Social media is a plague.

I think this is technically social media, and so is discord.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, I kinda think, if she hasn't seen them, Lexi Alexander would loving love Three on a Match or Baby Face.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

A lot of people seems to think of progress as a steady linear march not something that can ebb and flow. Like I feel there was a lot more mainstream films starring Black actors in the 90s to early 00s than there is now.

I think the plethora of different television channels and other media outlets has meant there's a lot of content starring minorities that a lot of people just never hear about if they aren't looking for it. For example Ava DuVernay has a show with 4 or 5 seasons on Oprah's channel that I never hear anyone talk about and I only know exists because I follow her on twitter so she'll mention when a new season is starting.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Hey where you been we haven't seen you in the horror discord.

He only watches Son of the Mask now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/SilverAgeTV/status/1363228661181263872?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

TBH i think lexi alexander just likes to fight.

She did get her start as a stunt double and I think has a couple martial arts championship belts.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

therattle posted:

I just finished News Of The World. It’s decent enough but there was something off about its politics that I can’t quite put my finger on. For one thing, it seems oddly sympathetic to the South (it’s immediately post-war), while taking what felt to be a fairly neutral stance on US:Native American violence (“can’t all this killing stop?!” - well no, not while whites are violently colonising land). Anyone else seen it who can articulate any of this better than I can?

You ever see Fort Apache?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

therattle posted:

Nope. Should I?

Just read the synopsis. I think the answer is yes but I suspect I won’t get round to it.

It's basically the only movie with an adult Shirley Temple and it has John Wayne playing one his least racist characters.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Haha, I was confused until I realized you were not talking about Fort Apache, The Bronx.

lol

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

piratepilates posted:

Or whoever bought it can turn it around and sell it to someone else, and the person they sell it to probably thinks they can sell it to someone else for more. Everyone participating in a big speculation cycle where the thing has value because someone will pay more for it, and they'll pay more for it because someone else will pay more for it. Until the whole thing collapses and whoever was the last to buy it is stuck holding the bag.

This happening https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania with infinitely reproducible memes would be pretty funny. At least with the tulip thing the people who took a wash had a physical tulip at the end.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

piratepilates posted:

It's what all cryptocurrency valuations are about nowadays. There's like 5 to 10 nerds out there in the world that genuinely care about the idea of cryptocurrency being a new money with interesting properties, and the rest are probably just buying it because number go up and trying to cash in on a rush.

Even then you're buying an irreproducible thing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

A quart's really not that much. That's half of the old recommendation of 8 cups per day though I don't know how accurate that ever was. I aim for 3-4 quarts of just water on top of whatever else I have.

Pretty much every dietary recommendation doctors give you is somewhere between best guess and complete made up bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ruddiger posted:

lol Disney is releasing the next Spider-Man in theaters this year despite a half million Americans losing their lives in a pandemic that hasn’t ended yet.

Why did Zack Snyder let this happen

I'm guessing Mulan did not do as well as they hoped. Which is weird because in early January they were talking about how it did way better than expected and they were looking at releasing other films that way.