Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Finally watched Apocalypse Now after owning the DVD for 10 years and have just found out reading the wiki that there has been 2 versions/revisions since!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Coffee And Pie posted:

Now watch Hearts of Darkness

I had no idea about that movie till wiki-surfing today but if Tim Roth and John Malkovich are in it I'm already sold

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
gently caress, now I've got an extended edition of Apocalypse Now, a documentary on its making, a 1993 film of the same story and Platoon to watch

:munch:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yeah Sonic was pretty excruciating.

Detective Pikachu was fun and weird but i was also pretty gone off edibles when i saw it.

Careful, edibles almost made me call Pixels a good movie :nono:

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I enjoyed Detective Pikachu, but there were definite scenes of meaningless spectacle, the Torterra garden for instance, that could have been edited out with nothing lost

This was the exact point I started thinking about how little I was enjoying hte movie

JollyBoyJohn fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 1, 2021

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Toys That Made Us is a doc series on netflix that covers some of this, though it does veer into rose tinted nostalgia. The He-Man episode in particular is quite illuminating, though.

I watched that quite recently and it was a great watch! Kept meaning to go back to the rest of the series but never did. There's ones on Power Rangers, Professional Wrestling toys, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Worth a look for sure

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

FreudianSlippers posted:

The only thing that matters in a Spiderman came:
is the web swinging good

It is very good

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I for some reason totally missed them remaking nightmare on elm street like 10 years ago

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

caligulamprey posted:

I'll just kick back with a big ole grin knowing that the culture has genuinely shifted enough that the #1 song in the world is from a fully out gay rapper being as gay and Satantic as possible. :allears:

His songs suck rear end and lol at having your gimmick be "selling shoes with human blood in them". It just isn't as good a gimmick as "make good songs".

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Gripweed posted:

I did not think saying I liked The Nice Guys better than The Big Lebowski would provoke such a response. Are you guys all big stock holders in the college freshmen trying a white russian once before realizing they're gross and never having another one industry?

I'm just mad at how bad Jesus Rolls was

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

At least The Hurt Locker has the goods as a genre film (and calling it a movie about how the Iraq war is messed up is a weird reading tbh)

Still amazed that got a best picture award. I think i just really dislike Jeremy Renner though so I'm biased

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Gripweed posted:

It was a well-crafted, touching exploration of how war makes our soldiers sad.

That's fair. I dont remember disliking the movie so much as i remember wanting to slap his smug little face

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Escobarbarian posted:

Dynamic range in cinema screens definitely feels lacking these days, yeah. But then you go to like a Dolby cinema or something and it’s absolutely incredible. One reason I like going to the cinema anyway is because I am extremely bad at ignoring my phone when watching stuff at home

Lol yeah i can relate to this although tbh i rate most films ive seen at the cinema on the "how many times did i check the time on my phone" scale.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I like the home experience more because if I'm bored or restless i can switch off and maybe come back later.

I know you can walk out a cinema but it always feels so wrong - only done it twice - Pixels and Ghost in the Shell

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

FreudianSlippers posted:

This is a con rather than a pro in my book

Really? I can't see how, unless you are just good at suspending your disbelief. I dont watch a lot of films over 2 or 3 sessions but even having the option makes me more relaxed.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
McDonald's is pretty cool

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Watched the 2014 Godzilla on a whim today, really enjoyed it, very unfamiliar with the series so was really thrown by the whole Muto sub plot but the visual spectacle was exactly what i wanted and there was just enough of a human touch to compliment the huge city destroying lizard.

Will have to to seek out skull island next, feel like I've not many new monster movies since i dunno cloverfield or maybe even the 2005 Kong

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The only comic book I've ever loved was The Killing Joke, I always hoped they'd use that storyline for one of the Batman films but they haven't really as far as I'm aware

I also bought The Rugrats comic episode 1 when I was a kid and put it in a plastic sleeve in a drawer thinking it'd be worth money one day lmao

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Hughmoris posted:

Finally got around to watching Edge of Tomorrow. An enjoyable movie and I thought Emily Blunt was fantastic. Doing some reading shows it wasn't exactly a box office smash when it came out, and it's expensive, so a sequel seems unlikely? Shame, it seemed like a fun world to build upon.

Lol i thought you were talking about The Day After Tomorrow for a sec there in a Deep Impact/Armageddon Dantes Peak/Volcano style of confusion

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Just finishing The Office put me off television for years.

Shoulda watched the superior British version

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Netflix ... ✅
Disney+ ... ❎
HBOMax ... ❎
Youtube ... ❎
Paramount ... ❎
Peacock ... ❎
AppleTV ... ❎

This ain't sustainable.

i can find enough garbage to watch on youtube without needing the rest

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
lol i totally forget i use my mums sky go account to watch stuff so yea having a premium streaming service is nice as long as you aren't the one paying for it

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Basebf555 posted:

Tarantino is an intelligent guy but you could tell early on in his career that he'd been brain poisoned by all the people he encounters constantly worshipping him and treating him like a god. He's the type who would be insufferable at parties because he'd be like "I'm the most interesting person in this room, you know it and I know it, so I'm gonna just yap all night and you can absorb my genius".

I mean pulp fiction was really really good (and true romance is underrated!)

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I mean that's just a thing that happens when you make a pop culture phenomenon like Pulp Fiction and it comes completely out of nowhere. In the mid to late 90's Tarantino was basically treated like the Messiah returned to Earth.

Then he gave us kill bill volume 2 to remind us he's still human!

Jokes aside its a hell of a filmography he has when you count writing credits. Saying that I've not yet watched his 3 last films yet!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

PeterCat posted:

What are you talking about? Kill Bill 2 > Kill Bill.

If only for Bud taking the piss out of B****** fighting skills by just shooting her with a shotgun.

Perhaps I should revisit but I remember having much more fun with 1

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I don't remember hating the second Matrix movie at all but I do remember absolutely none of my friends being interested in seeing the 3rd one at the cinema

in fact, I think I had completely forgotten there were 2 more Matrix films until reading this thread

edit: oh god, 3 came out 6 months after 2? that seems wild thinking back

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, plus a bunch of footage for a videogame no one played

I had a friend called Dave and me and 2 other friends gave him a hard time for buying Enter the Matrix and I still feel kinda bad about it

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Finally watched There Will be Blood after it appearing on Netflix, was hooked throughout, even for a 150 minute movie it just gripped me the whole way through, Daniel Day Lewis just magnificent as always, came away still not really knowing if I despised or was rooting for Daniel Plainview. One of those movies where you really feel like you are watching real people.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

checkplease posted:

What are some good movie related podcasts that people like? I am a big fan of art of the score for film music and the soundtrack show. I started listening to a Blank Check episode about Spirited away and then they spent the first 15 minutes talking about Shrek (and one of the 3 said he didnt even see it).

Film Sack
Retro Rewind Podcast
The Rewatchables

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Finally got round to watching Shallow Grave at the weekend, ive always loved Trainspotting but really enjoyed this one, just a good solid 90 minute movie, great twist, cool to see a young Ewan McGregor, should probably just seek out the rest of Danny Boyles filmography. Its free on YouTube as well.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Gatts posted:

Indulgent travels with access to places 21 and over, eating what you want when you want and thus cooking, can draw boobies and get paid money for it and same with writing, a side hustle of getting paid to get really high on cocaine and dance like a fool without getting tired like this one dude I saw in a NYC club going at it in an empty club, social media posting about you at the gym and how fit you are, sports I guess if you want I mean it’s really up to you, buying a boat then getting frustrated at the expenses and then selling a boat, spending money like a fool, self destructive decision making where people are like shrug and don’t tell you to get your poo poo together, there’s plenty of hobbies for adults!

Choose Life

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

duz posted:

According to wikipedia, yes.

Just chiming in to say this is a fascinating wikipedia article

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
TIL there's a new ghostbusters film next month

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I've never seen Halloween but its that time of year and at least 2 of my favourite podcasts just did an episode on it + its on netflix so sod it, its a slow work day

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

You’re in for a treat!

Cheers! I enjoyed it for what it was, let's be honest its a fairly basic 70s slasher flick with great music.

I was quite taken aback when you are shown hes a kid when he kills his sister, i must have seen or read about that before but had no idea it was from this movie

Good film but a little dry, not to worry though me and the wife are watching nightmare on elm street 3 (first time viewing) tonight so ramp up the camp

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors was a good time, really enjoyed the special effects, pretty good work for a film that's 34 years old

I think I'll skip the next few and head straight to Wes Cravens New Nightmare. I remember taping it off my grans Sky TV and being a confused child not understanding what in the heck it was going on about so it'll be interesting to revisit!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
So tempted to go to the cinema at the weekend for Dune!, I've not been to the (relatively) local IMAX in my area yet and I imagine it'll be relatively quiet on a Sunday evening so we'll see how me and the wife feel.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Ah, Point Break has finally popped up on Netflix, gonna toast me some popcorn and have a good ol movie night

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Whats is cooler? Gundam or Guyver

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
who is the better french film dude Luc Besson or Denis Villeneuve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

On the one hand, Villeneuve isn’t French. On the other hand, he also isn’t a rapist. On the third hand, he hasn’t made anything as good as The Fifth Element.

lol sorry that was an ignorant shitpost that kinda deserved the takedown you gave it