Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I am ready to cook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I can never think about sous vide without thinking of Ray Smuckles keeping something cooking for like five days because that's the first time I ever learned sous vide was a thing that existed

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Welp this game started with perfect timing cause it is brekky time in Australia. I don't have no sous vide but I haven't tried poaching an egg for a while, let's try making those kind of fancy eggs instead.

I heard if you try and strain out the thin whites first, it makes it less messy. Not too much is dripping through, actually. I did just buy these eggs yesterday so guess they're actually halfway fresh.

Transferring them into some little cups now so they can be poured quickly...

Got my water at a gentle boil, there's also a bit of vinegar in there. I stirred up a vortex before dropping one egg in.

Oh wow this is actually working, it only had the one tendril of a wispy bit peel off it. I poached it for about 3 and a half minutes and the other one went just as well.

In the meantime I'd cooked up a slice of bacon... I don't have the extra fatty American bacon strips though, so I just added some extra fat bits cut off from the next couple pieces of my short cut bacon. That still didn't give me a whole lot of bacon grease overall, but it was enough to get my bread slices a nice little coating.

Put the bacon bits on top plus a bit of sliced up grape tomatoes. I don't have chives but I do have some fancy lettuce to use up. I don't normally like to cut off the crusts of the bread, but it got me thinking about finger sandwiches so I thought it'd be funny to see how a brekky sandwich fried in bacon grease held up after cutting it into 3 dainty ribbons.

Started to come apart a little, and the fancy ribbon sandwich experience doesn't exactly make a strong impression here, but it was actually a really nice way to portion it compared to just jamming the whole big square in my mouth. This turned out pretty nice! Next time though, it needs more bacon fat.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Bread and pork floss makes me wanna go to Breadtop

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Aw hell yeah cornbread yum

Sandwolf posted:

also, why are y'all poaching and puddling your eggs? I put fried eggs with ham and cheese in it (yeah p. much a lazy omelet) and then throw it on bread

Well let's see it mate

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Dang

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Retro Futurist posted:

Oh God I ate too many of them

Yeah the main reason I don't bake more often with Minifauxnen is she will have just one or maybe two bikkies while I devour the rest

I mean it's just plain suboptimal to not enjoy them when they're fresh right out of the oven, right?!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Ok, what to make for something sweet... bananas have been annoyingly expensive here for a while, so I bought a bunch when they finally got back to a decent price last week. But Mini's been ignoring them because it's stone fruit season, so she's been eating up all the plums like crazy. Maybe she'll eat the bananas if I make them into banana bread? And if I make banana bread, I might even not eat it all straight away since I'll want to save some for brekky tomorrow.

After looking through my pantry to make sure I had all the ingredients, I remembered I still had some leftover almond flour from the time I made this kickass orange and almond cake. Could you use almond flour in banana bread? A quick google said yes. So here we go, I'm gonna make some almond flour banana bread!

I started getting the bananas in the bowl before I remembered I should actually do a mise en place this time.

Bananas, eggs, butter, almond flour (I ended up adding a bit of white flour too since I didn't have quite enough almond flour left for the recipe I found), vanilla extract, cinnamon, baking soda and baking powder, and I'm using honey for the sweetener for some extra moisture, since these bananas aren't proper overripe ones. But they're soft enough now I hope they'll do.

I added more honey than the recipe called for, to try and make up for my only-normal-ripe bananas maybe not being sweet enough either. Pretty easy stuff here, just throwing everything in the bowl and mixing it up.

50 minutes later, here is one loaf of banana bread! I should have checked it a little earlier though, it was a little overdone on the edges. This just means I need to put on MORE BUTTER!

This turned out pretty tasty! I'm definitely going to try this almond flour version again with more proper overripe bananas sometime. Even with being a bit overdone and with the bananas not being as mushy as they should be, the almond flour made it taste a bit more sophisticated, and a lot more hearty and filling. This will make a real good brekky tomorrow.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Forget Hal look at Akarshi's post, wow, I am never gonna vote him all game

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Hal Insandenza posted:

I enjoy a good Swiss roll

Even better is a Charlotte Royale but that’s a lot of work

Whoah that looks very cool

If I was making one of these rolls though, I'd try and recreate the Yule Log from Cooking Mama, that is Minifauxnen's favourite recipe in the game rn

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Me and my workmates are having drinks tonight cause we got Invasion Day off tomorrow, so now I'm gonna be really tempted to splurge on fancy cocktails, yum

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Hal Insandenza posted:

Is Invasion Day good or bad?

It's bad, imagine if the US wanted to celebrate the exact day Columbus landed instead of July 4th, and called that "America Day", then assholes had a whole big culture war whinge whenever people tried to point out that's super lovely and hey, maybe if you really want to "move past and heal" and just have a nice day that's about celebrating the nation inclusively for everyone in the country, we could just pick a different arbitrary date instead of actively fighting to keep it on a day that celebrates a "discoverer" arriving to gently caress everything up for the Native Americans who were already here well before that rear end in a top hat showed up

Also this Invasion Day this year is extra bad cause it falls on a Tuesday, why the hell have the holiday linked to any exact date when you could have it fall on a certain Monday to guarantee a three-day-weekend, THAT'S the true Australian way everyone could agree on imo

But back to cooking

Hal Insandenza posted:

And more importantly is there a traditional Invasion Day meal

Prolly a sausage sizzle or other BBQ yeah

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Luckily the work drinks were at a local craft brewery so I don't think they even had fancy cocktails but the beer was just about as expensive anyway, doh

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Scientastic posted:

We're getting to the point where we need to start actually trying to play the game as well as cooking, so I am going to try to explain why we should vote for Referee:

I also noticed that Referee post at the time but just mentally filed it away for later. I didn't think it was that suspicious, more like one of a very small set of posts it was possible to suspect. So at first I was on board with Ref here, thinking it might just be jumping at shadows:

Referee posted:

Nah. Most of you have played with me enough to know I tend to lean towards explaining away my own absences as a general rule regardless of alignment.

But then the post continued:

Referee posted:

So yes, I was conscious of my lack of participation, but “overly so” is entirely in the eye of the beholder. That said, I intentionally didn’t respond to your vote at the time you placed it because I wanted to see if you’d come back to this.

I think the more telling piece is your first paragraph. In a chill game like this, I suspect scum are likely to be somewhat more uncomfortable with pushing false cases, and here I think you’re saying more about yourself, friend Sci, than you are me. :) So this vote isn’t an OMGUS as much as it is a recognition of the dynamic at play here.

##vote Scientastic

I don't like this at all, if we should know our meta enough to remember little details like 'Referee just normally explains away absences', it should be even easier to remember Sci's very broad meta of 'high effort bulldog player'. Trying to gun for him this early, over picking at something that deserved picking at, smells fishy.

##vote Referee

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Sandwolf posted:

This is a pretty good point. I feel like, I agree with Ref’s read of himself but I think Sci’s meta is strong and when he’s town he’s on-fuckin-point so he feels like a bad person to be throwing stones at so early. I’d vote Ref

Hmmm I see you there agreein with me Sandwolf

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Referee posted:

I would put you in that same category most of the time and yet you haven’t participated the same way until jumping on Sci’s bandwagon.

Yeah I gotta give you that, I don't know there's something a little different about this game but I can't put my finger on why

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Referee posted:

I would put you in that same category most of the time and yet you haven’t participated the same way until jumping on Sci’s bandwagon.

Mate that's not a bandwagon, THIS is a bandwagon

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Rhymes With Clue posted:

I don't like "I agree" post/votes. Suspicious. Grasping.

:same:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Nah but really though, that did freak me out for a sec to get more votes piling on except then I remembered Ref was already trying to call it a 'bandwagon' when I agreed to add just one more vote to Sci's

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Hal Insandenza posted:

That seems like standard pig moves to me. We will know if he’s scum when he starts hoarding spice point to unleash vigs at a crucial point

That sounds like a town CPig move actually

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Hal Insandenza posted:

I think he is in England so weird time zone thing

Yeah it's getting kinda late over there

I don't think the Referee case is that lovely but I'm more bothered that there's not much else being talked about. I'm hoping some fun night actions will kickstart us into poo poo getting real tomorrow. So far apart from not liking Referee's replies, the only real read I'm actively feeling is a townread on IA surprisingly. It's weird, the last few games I think I've been getting his vibe more.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Finished up at the march, I'm around now in case of any nolunch shenanigans

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Lol Sandwolf that sure is an egg sandwich

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

CapitalistPig posted:

who bought brown sugar. Let's be masons

Aaaahahahahahahahahahahaha

HAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Whoever roleblocked me has tampered with the most beautiful insane amazing mason overmind creation Grandi came up with to humor my insanity, and I am going to make sure you die slowly and painfully for delaying my glorious fun

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Ok as I sit down to catch up on this game, I need a snack to go with it. My favourite thing to munch on at night is to just stick some random condiments and snacky stuff in a tortilla or on top of bread.

I was recently thinking about fairy bread, so I decided to make a spicy instead of sweet version. The anti-fairy-bread. Goblin bread??

First I spread the bread with margarine, just like you'd do for fairy bread, but then I also spread on some chili sauce. My favourite everyday chili sauce is Cholula.

Then instead of covering the buttery surface with a shitton of sprinkles, I covered it with a shitton of jalapeno slices.

I loving adore jalapenos and could prolly just keep eating more of these till I finished the whole jar honestly.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Man I've been scouring the thread to identify the five or six possible posts with any game content before the deadline rush and see if anything can be read from them but it was all putting me to sleep till this post

Sandwolf posted:

I’ve talked myself into it! ##vote Ref

that phrase is like nearly too scummy to be scum

Rhymes With Clue posted:

##vote CapitalistPig

And this bugged me even more, a simple agreement sounds kinda like CPig's style and not nearly as scummy as Sandwolf hanging a big lampshade over his talking himself into the case.

lookin at Sanwolf Clue and Obama rn

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Idle Amalgam posted:

Now there is a chance that science is just a bit cocksure about things

Lol

Sandwolf posted:

This is a pretty townie way of thinking, I think you may be barking up the wrong tree, but I’m not sold on CPig as town.

Ooh anything in particular you find suspicious

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Idle Amalgam posted:

Buddy, I've got news for you... I seldom do what I should do and instead fly by the seat of my pants... often to a detriment.

Also I stated the difference in alignments previous game day lol

What say you now, villain?

Yes that's exactly what Sci is saying, you already said yesterday that you thought him and Ref were different alignments, so Ref flipping town should've been all you needed, why would you need to all gear yourself up then first

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Sandwolf posted:

you don't seem particularly driven to get me lunched either tho mate

Eh it's a chill game, do you want a big dramatic anime showdown or what

##vote Sandwolf

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Sandwolf posted:

also, this is going to sound sassy and snide but I promise I mean it sincerely: if y'all are gonna be angry with me for tryna play mafia here you should actually lunch me today because like I said in signup post, this is effectively just mafia to me with cooking minigames. I understand most of you are here to cook first. If I'm gonna harsh the mellow here, y'all should remove me.

Nah not mad or anything, just taking that into account for how to judge people's opinions if they aren't going all aggro about their cases

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Idle Amalgam posted:

but maybe I'm the crazy one?

This is actually why I think you're town, you're in the usual opposite land parameters I'm used to

Hal Insandenza posted:

I also have some suspicion of rhymes with clue for a pretty laying low game.

I'm glad someone else mentioned him, the stuff he has posted sounded kinda dodgy D1 so I'd look at him after Sandwolf

But in other news, no one has come forward to say "oh no I'm sorry for messing up your cool mason thing Bif, I was actually jailing you to try and protect you" so I am going to presume that it was a scum roleblock

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Scientastic posted:

I read Sandwolf’s posts and they seem fine, what is everyone else reading in them that I am missing?

The biggest example for me is this post when he joined the pileon on Referee:

Sandwolf posted:

Can someone tell me how this ends up getting to Sci = scum? Ref feels scummy for making such a stretch on someone who I haven’t seen do anything bad and yes, on a meta level, is very good when town. If its just Ref putting pressure on Sci for early D1 reasons, fine, but that’s an over explanation of a vote that I do not understand or agree with.

I’ve talked myself into it! ##vote Ref

Actually the first part of the post all looks great. It's got good reasoning, it woulda been a fine post if he'd just finished it up with a simple vote. But "I've talked myself into it!" takes a hard veer off into scummy self-consciousness.

Scientastic posted:

I want to actually play mafia as well, just because there is also cooking, it’s still a game

I wonder what other non-Mafia games we could arrange with a similar challenge element sometime. It is fun to have the points and some kind of goal and all, but I'd really like to do more of this kind of thing without having "and now back to mafia".

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

CapitalistPig posted:

It's day 2 and I don't have any real reads.

I don't wanna vote for sandwolf

let's instead vote for ##vote clue

I do wanna vote for Sandwolf, but I wouldn't mind switching to Clue at all, yeah.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Rhymes With Clue posted:

A little sus on Bifauxnen for first agreeing with my take on the "I agree" kind of posts and then doing a 180.

Lol you mean this?

Rhymes With Clue posted:

##vote CapitalistPig

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Idle Amalgam posted:

Lmao, yeah the 2021 losertar is nice. My words are still garbo but at least I'm a stylish loser.

A thunderdome losertar is a badge of pride compared to those who never tried. (like me)

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

GenericGirlName posted:

You’re amazing. This better get bonus points.

:emptyquote:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

The worst of Brisbane summer is finally over. The days are getting shorter again. It's nearly 4:30 and instead of being woken up by the ungodly early sunrise, I'm awake and have only my hosed up sleeping habits to blame.

So what's this, another midnight snack? No, it's time to check on the panna cotta! I'd prepared it earlier tonight. But while I was trying to measure things correctly and letting Minifauxnen help, I forgot all about the "bloom" stuff and just stuck it right on the low heat. I hope that doesn't make a big difference.

Aaaaaaaaaaa gently caress why is it so clumpy :stonk: but I just kept stirring and taking it on and off the heat and eventually it seemed like it turned out okay after all? But what am I gonna put this in, I don't have no ramekins or nothing.

But I do have these little containers I use to put yogurt in Minifauxnen's lunch :3: I filled up a few of them so if Mini likes it, I'll save one for her to take on Monday. The rest I divided between two IKEA tumblers.

And now at 4:30 am, has it set okay?

Yes! Let's eat!

I don't think I've ever even eaten panna cotta before, let alone made it. But despite it looking scary at the start, this was real easy to make in hindsight. It does make a nice light-tasting dessert. I put a bit of passionfruit on top but ate it up before I could grab another photo. I think next time, I'll try seeing if I can get away with putting in even more extra splashes of vanilla extract without ruining the subtlety. I hope Minifauxnen likes it too when she wakes up!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Sub Rosa posted:

Nice! How was the texture? Mostly that's where the concern would lie if you forget to bloom the gelatin.

There were some little thicker gelatin-y globs, but only at the bottom. Most of it was nice and smooth!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Lol yeah I'm good to switch

##vote Clue