Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Pigbuster posted:

It's tying a piece or artwork to an etherium address so that you can run back through the blockchain to authenticate that it's "the original". Creating scarcity for a digital image, essentially.

And all it costs is a mere 74 years worth of a person's electricity consumption every time it gets traded.

https://twitter.com/bdebone2/status/1366129197312311300/photo/1

It's one of the most damaging inventions in all of human history so yeah you should probably understand it. It is basically a way to monetize wasting resources, and if left unchecked is going to make a post-scarcity society 100% impossible. That Bors is doing this is extremely disheartening because I assumed he would've understood this.

What is the source of these numbers and/or how are they calculated? Is that per transaction, or?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yes, but where do THOSE numbers that were provided come from? Does it cost 177k kW hrs per transaction, or for that address, or per year or what?

Further, who is providing those numbers, what site or calculator?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

endlessmonotony posted:

The tl;dr is that Bitcoin is very inefficient because it's not a currency, it's gambling, and the cryptography used to keep the hashes rare and uncontrolled by any one party consumes more power the more people are trying to mine it. Since the price is so high, incredible amounts of energy are wasted on calculating hashes ("mining") while the number of people using the blockchain for anything even hypothetically productive is so low the energy spent per transaction is a hideous crime against humanity.

The calculated numbers aren't based on the transactions themselves, they're based on all the assholes gambling.

Cryptocurrencies need to be entirely banned. They're our hellworld's dumbest technology. Anyone advocating for them is an idiot or a monster, no exceptions.

Am I speaking in riddles or something?

All I want to know is the source of those numbers that are in that picture. Who calculated those numbers? Are those numbers per transaction, per unit of time, or what? How were those numbers reached?

I am fully aware of mechanisms behind Bitcoin I'm just wondering how those numbers in particular were reached. Why is one number 177k and the other 200k; is it because one number is for one address and one is for another? Is that all of the emissions caused by that address in grand total or over a period of time? What period of time if so?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

endlessmonotony posted:

You were asking if the lovely jpegs of... whatever the hell... were costing energy, and the answer is barely because it's the gambling that does, and I'll cut myself off there because nobody needs the retread.

Fortunately, War Wizard also answered the question you wanted an answer for. Good job War Wizard.

I was asking what the numbers represented, and how they were calculated. It was Pigbuster that really got the answer that I was looking for. Thanks Pigbuster

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

cant cook creole bream posted:

March is almost over. Since that girl is a quarter on the way to death, I'd assume she would be basically mature by now.

(for those curious, it was posted on jan 4)

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 28, 2021

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

D.N. Nation posted:

Address my point, libs!!!!!

I gave you $100, and maybe, MAYBE 2-3 cents are counterfeit. I'd be fine with that. My couch eats more than that

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jedit posted:

20kg of explosives hits my house. 250kg of explosives hits my street. 1000kg of explosives also hits the next street over where the school is. Even if Hamas started it - which they didn't - they're still only throwing what rocks they have while the Israelis respond with the mass murder of civilians. As is, they're facing a literal existential threat.

Pretty sure 20kg doesn't really hurt a house that much unless you get it through a window. It'll bust up one room/quarter of the house pretty good.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Oops! I lampshaded not telling a joke!

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

someone who's good at the economy help me with hiring, my business is dying

spend more on payroll

no

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

This would be so much easier for everyone if they would reuse ambulances and let them leave the hospital

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
In scardey cats they go by Mildred, thought slime goes by thought slime (or occasionally stink matt)

Come to me for all your SC/TS lore

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Thought slime rules, eyeball zone rules

The only problem I had with the eyeball zone is that of the five different people who had really nice videos and I subscribed to them, and only one of them updated since

Gosh, heck and argh

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Mr. Squishy posted:

Bennet used to be a thread-favourite, and rightly so. Clever metaphors that got at the heart of the issue and expressed it in an immediately readable way. The art was clear and you could tell he was dedicated to following the news, reacting to it, and how best to express things. I would guess that maybe he's getting too close to retirement, or had too many years w/out a pay rise.

The change has read, to me, as a descent into hopelessness/apathy ever since Trump won. He used to put his heart in, now he keeps the lights on.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Pants Donkey posted:

Aims for center mass, hits her lower leg?

Rookie mistake forgetting bullet drop :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Still mad we only got like 3 pages of hentai edits

Here's to 2022, where hopefully they come hard and fast