Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

2020 is gonna die in February or March at this rate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Moon Slayer posted:

There's a tweet I saw but can't find now about Mitt's wild 24 hours: getting heckled at the airport, heckled the entire plane ride to DC, chased from the Senate floor by a mob, and then having to sit behind Hawley as he spewed bullshit.

Honestly kinda surprised none of their colleagues have taken a swing at Hawley or Cruz yet.

They ain't ever gonna do poo poo. We could elect a dude who opens every congressional meeting by heiling Hitler and reading from Mein Kampf and the rest of Congress will say, "this is unamerican" and "this is highly irregular!" and not do a drat thing about it. Then he'll vote in favor of some bill that fucks over minorities and the poor while giving handjobs to corporations and the media will call applaud him for his patriotism and say that this a victory for bipartisanship because a bunch of dems also voted for the bill

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

It's incredible the sort of mental knots someone has to tie themselves into to come up with cartoons like Ishida. He's a terf, and so has to align with other terfs, who are aligned with fascists. The people against him are mean to him online, and also do this whole "canceling" thing sometimes. But fascists are bad, and the people who are against him are also bad, so he has to make them equal somehow. So the fash have guns, because rightwingers are really into guns, but they're also not going to shoot anyone, because that would be bad and they can't be that bad. And leftists...uh...are virtue signallers, so they're not really fighting for any cause, just empty rhetoric. That's the current state of the world, obviously, so now all he has to do is filter it through all the symbols his comic has accrued over the years aaaaaand perfect. Leftists steal a giant mech, which represents the military-industrial complex, and go to fight against rural Americans, but then get turned into babies by the literal concept of the year, and thus all conflict is over, hurray!

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Weird how the only politicians they dislike are Republicans. I guess they have no issues with Democrats! Guess they must be antifa after all

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

KazigluBey posted:

I feel like I went to sleep years ago when Ishida did his first major course-correction/pivot against his earlier content and now I've woken up to him having done another in the interim and ended up some kind of Radical Centrist. Is this broadly correct?

He’s a centrist in the sense that he equates the two sides and then consistently parrots rightwing talking points while denouncing the left. His main focus, though, is making GBS threads on trans people and sex workers

Kit Walker fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jan 17, 2021

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Luv 2 chop wood on the stump I leave on the road in front of my house

Luv 2 walk around the house with a shotgun in one hand and a bottle of booze in the other

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Oh no! Not a single guy with a gun! Our devilish operation is confounded!

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Really cool to see the global warming comics arriving in mid-February this year

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

I just had the thought that maybe these citations are Tinsley’s attempt at a defense against libel. So he can say whatever, and if he gets called out on it he can say these aren’t his words, he’s just citing the news

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

poo poo like this is how you know Tinsley only knows white people. People of color trying to make themselves come across as more white happens literally all the time. From code switching to skin bleaching, people try all kinds of different things to appear to be more “white” because it makes it easier to find work, get promotions, loans, deal with the police, etc, etc

God I loving hate Tinsley

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Nenonen posted:

Do non-gullible evangelicals even exist?

No

Also I like the implication that taxes are a religious issue

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

What the gently caress would going to the border achieve anyway? It’s loving huge and populated by a lot of border patrol cops, the scum of the scum of the earth

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

:kstare:Sinfest Sunday!:kstare:

Ishida’s “woke” prayer still associates fatherhood with having a penis. These people have one joke and they still can’t do it right

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Covid is like a zombie outbreak and if a covider knocks on my door trying to bite me and get me sick I will simply shoot him with my gun and go on with my day

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Kellies Nomination: Most Incomprehensible

Like, I *get it*, but this is such a garbled metaphor

Kit Walker fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 18, 2021

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Johnny Walker posted:

Testes Flights

Kelly has waited his whole life to get to make this comic

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

I've seen way too many people calling them pioneers despite them doing absolutely nothing new. The only thing they've accomplished is using existing technology to give joyrides to the ultrarich. I don't know how anyone, even the most optimistic, can convince themselves that this will somehow help humanity

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

the_steve posted:

Kellies Nomination: Least Concealed Bigotry - Misogyny

I interpreted it three times before I finally settled on the meaning I think it's supposed to have

The first: Guy on the right is really happy he can gently caress without having kids
The second: Guy is really happy this will make women he doesn't like sterile
The (probably) actual interpretation: Guy is happy it will make pro-vaxxers sterile

It's just a bad loving comic no matter how you slice it

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Nenonen posted:

I think you're wrong on all tries, or at least the last one. No one who says "what if the vaccine makes me sterile?" aloud is or ever has been or will be pro-vaccine. The woman in the cartoon is a solid pro-pandemiccer and the man, confusingly, wishes her belief was true so that she couldn't have progeny and not vaccinate them. Which is a paradox, because if she won't have the vaccine then she won't become sterile.

At least there's a good doggy. Who's a good doggy? Yes, you are! Yes you ARE!

Yeah, I do think you're right on that, because it's the only read that really fits even though it invokes a paradox. I wrote what I did because it's the logical read but it doesn't feel like that's the actual intended read. It's a stupid, stupid comic with more spite than sense

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

gently caress off, Dana

quote:

Tony Branco

This poo poo always pisses me off because the US is so much worse off than either Mexico or Canada. Anyone who hops the border to come to the US is putting themselves at greater risk than vice versa. “They’re bringing germs!” shouts Diseaselord Branco

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

This is tangential to the comics, but I always thought "bravely refusing to take your medication" was a horrible trope in films and TV. And I don't mean the serial killer who abducted you stuffed rohypnol in your mouth and you faked him out, I mean like actual prescription meds at that. How often do you see someone cheeking it, spitting it out later, or even more iconically, dumping their entire prescription pill bottle into the toilet/sink? And it's always portrayed as bold, confident defiance. "I don't need these anymore!" or at least something about refusing to be changed or dulled by them. It's kinda worrying when you imagine what that constant imagery might do to influence people who may really need medications.
Anyway of course Ishida would use that imagery as a way of defying "wokeness".

Absolutely. It totally sucks. You also see it a lot in shows with supernatural/conspiracy themes, where the protagonist is experiencing something that no one else is, and ends up forced into seeing a shrink that convinces them they need to be medicated. Paranoid schizophrenia often already gives people delusions of grandeur. It’s gotta be even worse with so many tv shows saying “you’re actually the main character of the world and all of this is super important and magical! Don’t take your meds, they’re just trying to hold you back from your incredible inheritance of power! Also don’t trust anyone around you because they’re just trying to use you for their own dark agenda!”

I don’t think I’d mind it so much if the protagonist found themself still experiencing the weird poo poo despite the meds, but somehow antipsychotics are remarkably effective at suppressing supernatural contact

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: Getting Rid of an Important Incentive

Because they can still carry and transmit the disease, arrrrrrr. It’s less likely to happen, yes, but the recent spike is largely because of people letting their guard down like this

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Angepain posted:

Oh no did Sunberg do something

Probably related to this: https://ghost-in-the-stalls.tumblr.com/post/648921219374153728/since-the-hiatus-is-over-im-gonna-rant-a-bit

Long story short it sounds like Mina recently converted to Christianity (lol) and also wrote a side comic about a society with some sort of social credit system where christians are the only people oppressed

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Anti-vaxx sentiment seems fairly split between the parties. lol @ rall having the trump-voting evangelical christian embracing the lefty trans black woman, though

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

Is that true? I thought party affiliation was a huge indicator of vaccination status, but I only think that because of a tweet I saw.

I meant anti-vaxx stuff in general. For the covid vaccine the anti group is predominantly republican, yeah. Admittedly, I don’t know if the recent pandemic has had a knock on effect on general anti-vaxx sentiment

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

RoboRodent posted:

I also have a pet theory that most people who got chicken pox before the vaccine got it too young to really remember it. Chicken pox is loving miserable. I can't eat instant oatmeal, it just turns my stomach, and I'm pretty sure it's because thirty three years ago my mother gave me oatmeal baths to soothe my itching, and the smell is too similar. Instant oatmeal smells like being sick.

Similarly, I got Hand, Foot, Mouth disease as an adult (it's a disease people normally get as children) and it's loving hoooooorrible. Basically two weeks of growing sores all over those aforementioned parts that turn into dead skin that you peel off leaving everything covered in these bizarre pits. Also you can't eat loving anything because breathing, chewing, and swallowing all hurt as though you've filled your mouth with rusty nails. Fortunately it all heals up without a trace eventually but if chicken pox as an adult is anything like it, it's absolutely loving miserable

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Can’t believe that homophobic Ishida couldn’t come up with a better panel of manly dudes rolling out in a manly way than JoJo

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Raised By Birds posted:

Michael Ramirez

The only thing parents can control is how much their own kid goes on social media. What they can’t control is a clip of their kid doing something dumb getting passed around between all their classmates in five seconds and then being made fun of by everyone in school. I really don’t envy kids growing up in the social media age

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

Or as some say, Kosim

:golfclap:

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

The rear end on that elephant isn't disproportionately huge so now way that's a real Garrison

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Border Security only lets the finest through. A Still Problematic Cartoon

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Private Speech posted:

Some people just can't draw.

Even as an adult with engineering masters & that I'm pretty sure I would be even worse than the Bananaparte.

Technically I have an associated learning disorder but no teacher ever gave a poo poo when marking drawing assignments.

gently caress creative assignments, nobody cares about effort or creativity, just how the results look.

e: I was almost forced to drop out of secondary school twice due to my inability to draw, in physics and biology respectively. Crying helped me barely pass in Biology and in physics I got lucky because I was very good at maths and physics outside of drawing stupid diagrams, so the other teachers went to the drawing-obssessed teacher and convinced her not to fail me. Still was an absurd amount of stress for something I can't change. Funny how close I came to getting my life ruined b/c of stupid poo poo like that.

I can sympathize with this. One of the required courses my high school had was Art Appreciation. Mostly a throwaway course where the teacher talked about basic art movement history stuff and gave us assignments that involved painting or drawing things. Except your grade was almost entirely determined by your artistic ability and it was also explicitly not taught in the course. We’d just be given materials and told to make something, and that was it. Your grade depended on how technically skilled it was. The kids who were already competent artists got full marks and the rest of us basically had to beg to get a passing grade. I’ve since then become kind of an art history buff but it was no thanks at all to that awful course. And I still can’t draw worth poo poo

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

That's not what "broken record" means! Augh!

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

SoFuckingCloseToGettingIt.jpg

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

the_steve posted:

Yeah, the point this cartoonist is trying to make is definitely "One of these things actually happened."
But it's doesn't really stick the landing.

Kellies Nomination: Most Easily Reinterpreted

It's because the thought on the right is way too long and out of context sounds fantastical. It should've just been something like "I hope that white guy doesn't attack me just because I'm muslim" which is both easy to understand and also a plausible thought to have in that scenario

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I don't know, but I doubt we're about to find out. Last year the 2020 plot line lasted well into January, if I had to guess I'd say that exact same thing will happen with 2021 when we reach 2022.

Nah last time he had to actually get the plot to a point where it sorta made sense for her to die dramatically from being old. Now he realized he can just have her shot and not concern himself with the timing too much! Though who the gently caress knows. As usual he didn't actually have time to do anything interesting with the character so maybe he'll keep her around for another two months or someshit

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

SubG posted:

Not so much a comment about this particular cartoon as the entire genre: I wonder where the gently caress the tradition of depicting Bethlehem as if it was in the middle of the Arabian Desert started.

No, see, it's just that the barn was waaaaaaay, waaaaay out in the outskirts of town. Pretty much entirely by itself in the desert. It was all very rude that they had to walk so far to give birth to our lord and savior

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

I'm glad he mentioned he was a virgin because if he said he was a sexhaver I'd assume he understood exactly what he was getting into taking those loans on

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Wow I can't believe Desmond Tutu was responsible for all those things! And people on the left like him? That's messed up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

I'm used to republican hypocrisy and their talking points reversing on a dime but the incredible gall of having them rave for two years about refusing to do anything for the pandemic, even outright denying that there is a pandemic, only to turn around and immediately start complaining about the government not doing anything for the pandemic is on a whole 'nother level