Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

DarklyDreaming posted:

Quick question what's Ben Garrison's backup plan if this doesn't work?

Trump will always be approximately two weeks from jailing everyone BenG hates and declaring himself president for life. Every failure is just a feint to distract from the real coup, which will happen any day now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Context I feel is important to understand the role of Keir Starmer:

https://twitter.com/jimcaris/status/1346126594109276161?s=20

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Bicyclops posted:

Ah, a new year, another time to subscribe to the political cartoon thread, keep it up for about two weeks, then log in one day to see thousands of posts in the little "unread" box and give up on it until the following year.

That's fair, personally I just scroll past the Ted Rall derails.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Pants Donkey posted:

Beng posted:

Warnock once urged blacks to use any means necessary—including violence—to overthrow a racist America. How Christian of him! Historic!

Will his very next comic be a celebration of the people trying to enforce a racist America through violence, or do you think he's self-aware enough to make an intermediary "now pence is a fat bald moron" cartoon first?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

BonHair posted:

Also, in that mindset, wouldn't the right share the same ideology as well?

Anyone to the left of, say, Ronald Reagan is exactly the same (see Joe Biden, rabid communist), whereas the right is a rich tapestry of people who view white supremacy as a tool to advance capitalism, ones who see capitalism as a tool to advance white supremacy, and everything in between!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think that's actually the most heartening thing. We like to get in beefs about leftist infighting, but it largely amounts to just posting angrily at one another. White supremacists have absolutely zero sense of solidarity; no one will be there to pick up Dorsey if he ever loses his twitter fortune, and a cop was beaten to death by people wearing Blue Lives Matter merch for the crime of telling them they were not allowed to do terrorism.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Real disappointed they didn't draw Mike Pence as one of the people calling for unity after Pence is murdered.

Guavanaut posted:

Politician or Idea Censored :effort:

No hint of what those might be. Because they're censored of course.

Shared alongside a brag of how they manage to organize in spite of big tech shutting down anything they have to say, on Twitter.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yes but sometimes the wrong mob is in charge. Most people I interact with agree with me; it logically follows that most people I don't interact with also do, so whenever someone says their mob is bigger than mine, they're corrupt lying communazis.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
That's always super wild to me, because terf rhetoric is literally just a search/replace of 20th century homophobia. Like they make no effort to pretend to be progressive or feminist outside of loudly insisting that they are.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Especially when they simultaneously insist that Donald Trump was the democratically elected president and therefore should not be opposed, and that he actually also won the popular vote in 2020 and should remain president regardless of the rules and systems in place.

It's almost as if getting the desired result overrides whatever principles he claims to hold!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

The Ape of Naples posted:

Grammatically speaking, it is a slur. Not all slurs are bad, though.

Grammatically speaking, "don't" is a slur.

Dwesa posted:

What term would they prefer? Pro-diseasers? Pro-epidemics?

The term is never actually the issue; they don't like people pointing out that the harmful rhetoric they're spouting is indeed harmful. Disagreeing with them in any way is bigotry.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

I would be punished significantly harder for shouting "fire" in a crowded theater than Trump is being for shouting "go murder the vice president and like at least half the government" across the whole internet.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I have never evolved a Sliggoo and I never will. :colbert:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

I know it's never the worst thing in his comics, but I love how he consistently draws Biden as a balding old wimp while Trump has golden flowing locks. It's petty and pathetic in the best possible way, unlike the rest of his work, which is petty and pathetic in all the bad ways.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Vib Rib posted:

What are they talking about, his speech was fine? It was one of his best public appearances in years. Like, not what I would have wanted, sure, but what?

He doesn't want you to make up your own mind based off your actual impression of the speech, you gotta watch a propaganda video instead and then independently make up your mind!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

I may be being whooshed but that's Al Pacino from The Godfather.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It's gonna take a whole lot more to convince me that Biden will fight for actual progress, but it is wild to me that this is where we're at when gay marriage was a grudging acquiescence by Obama towards the end of his second term.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

I was not expecting Tinsley to come out in favor of defunding the police.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

NRVNQSR posted:

Not quite; it's about how you shouldn't give otherwise awful people credit for minor virtues or successes. It's the modern "Mussolini did a lot of bad things but at least he made the trains run on time".

It should also be noted, like most quotes that parallel that one, that Mussolini did not make the trains run on time.

You shouldn't hand it to him even if he did, but the quote also holds the more insidious lie that fascists make capable statesmen.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 26, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Help Im Alive posted:

What's happening in prickly city

Stantis has spent the last four years complaining that the left and right are equally bad, and can only solve their dispute by meeting in the middle (i.e. doing everything republicans want, but with :decorum:). Now that there has been a insurrection attempting to overthrow the elected democrat president and make last year's fascist the monarch of the US, he finally has vindication that indeed both sides are equally bad.

There is no bias in this view, because as you can see, the words are in the mouth of a non-white girl, so it must be the unvarnished truth. The marxist cat dog is not missing her point because it is stupid as hell, he is missing it because he has no actual beliefs of his own and can only parrot the last thing he heard.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 27, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I haven't actually seen "profesh" before, but I really like it. It sounds like a spoken word version of the :decorum: smiley.

Thank you, Drunk Duck, for expanding my vocab. :)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
lmao that article is even dumber than it sounds

"Here's a bunch of 'proof' that systemic racism exists, and once you dismiss the obvious patterns and attribute everything to coincidence rather than malice, you'll find that it is neither systemic, nor racist. no i will not be taking questions good day"

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

toanoradian posted:

Then isn't all these Reddit stuff making people who wouldn't originally buy stocks to participate in this lovely system? Thus possibly plunging people (but not Redditors?) into financial problems? Or is that just me being really uncharitable with Reddit?

If you buy a stock, you have the stock. You can sell it later, but if it has gone down in value, you're going to wind up with less money than you started. There is no way for you to lose more than your initial investment, however. That's a special feature of shorting being dumb bullshit.

So the only way to destroy your finances by doing this is by violating the cardinal rule of gambling: Don't bet anything you can't afford to lose.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Randalor posted:

Isn't this the opposite of what's actually going on though? As in, the only ones calling for Unity and harping about the economy are the Republicans?

That's not different; Republicans have always been really into unity and cooperation and focusing on the economy when they're not the ones in charge.

It does look like things might actually go a different way this time. Biden has torched every executive order and Trump appointment that could be overturned without a vote, there are plans in motion to get rid of obstructionist tools and big chunks of voter suppression, and all the loudmouthed republicans crying about this are either the ones who also either inspired a gaggle of chuds to try to murder congress, or are Mitch McConnell, and both groups are rightfully being told to go gently caress themselves.

Who's to say how long it lasts, but the first week of the Biden administration has been a lot better than what you'd expect.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I was about to contest that, but then I remembered I was on a plane that got struck by lightning once. I had it explained to me that yeah, that's just a thing that happens about once a year, or on approximately 0.3% of flights.

gently caress no I ain't getting on that plane.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Pants Donkey posted:

I like that Ishida can’t help but draw every adult woman with the same generic hourglass body type while decrying culture for sexualizing women.

Well yeah, he's a TERF. The whole beautry of it is that you get to be as bigoted as you want, you don't have to actually respect women as people, and you can still call yourself a feminist because all the other bigots out there will have your back.

I'm assuming this is some dig at the media for not decrying BLM protests as wanton destruction, but I can't read it in any other way than admitting that the chuds are the only actual domestic terrorists.

What did the rioters want that you didn't, Stantis?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Love having no idea if the lumpy, misshapen boob-and-a-half and chin stubble are intentional transphobia or just Rall being poo poo at conveying anything in a visual medium.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
All that happened in the past month was twitter banning a bunch of nazis and a whole lot of nazi bots. Curious.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

why the gently caress is this guy still a free man, let alone doing poo poo in public

Jay Rust posted:

Does anyone here actually read this strip

I read the majority of them. They're not the best, but they're a nice break from the Ralls and Prickly Cities and poo poo.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

correct me if I'm wrong, but I am pretty sure final authority on racism and never an enemy of conservatives anywhere MLK Jr. said "judging people for the content of their character means you're basically hitler."

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Kaza42 posted:

A) No it's not

B) What science? What science, specifically, says it is safe to reopen schools?

What are you, Chinese? He already said "the science."

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Probably didn't want to accidentally acknowledge that the holocaust happened.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Back in 1807, politoons really made you think!

has it really been 213 years

You'd think people would have learned that McConnel will never act in good faith after the first couple decades.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Red states seceding would be terrible for everyone who lives there and doesn't suck, but I still don't get how it wouldn't just result in the rest of the US becoming richer and having fewer ghouls in government. Would people living in California or wherever actually lose anything, or are BenG and his ilk just hopped up on proaganda?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, he's not wrong that 2021 is shaping up to be the year of unhinged racists hiding beneath a vague veneer of patriotism and apple,, pie or whatever.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

toanoradian posted:

Penguins don't forget, and pilchards are gullible. Didn't expect I'd be learning new animal stereotypes today.

As narrated by a penguin, mind. Pilchards probably have different stereotypes.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm not sure where you were in the 2000's but Rall wasn't the only one saying Bush was dumb.

How many people said "having Bush as president is like being in the same room as a developmentally challenged person; an absolutely miserable experience for everyone involved?"

I always thought it was pretty obvious that Rall was projecting like mad in the former cartoon: "these people must hate my mother as much as I hate any disabled person with whom I have to interact. That's hosed up, how dare they think of my mother that way."

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You can tell the democrats are the bad guys, because I drew them as an angry mob storming the capitol.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Edmund Lava posted:

I haven’t watch a late night show in decades and I can tell you for almost certain they were making non stop jokes about [President]

Is John Oliver a late night show? I've been following that one, and he's covered a lot of Trump stuff, with fewer and fewer jokes and more barely contained fury, which I thought was a very reasonable approach. The episode on the BLM riots was just him covering the history of the movement, how racist and rotten the police are, and yielding the floor to that one Kimberly Brooks clip.

Knight007au posted:

Can anyone explain that cartoon, I have no clue?

nazi have big brain, is smart

some guy nazi doesn't like is a beta soyboy, only good for washing big brain nazi feet

The only parable I know about washing feet is the one where Jesus does it as a show of humility and love for his fellow man, so it's definitely some sort of nazi metaphor for being weak and sad.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

BrotherJayne posted:

what does the illustration have to say about that?

There is a dude in a prison jumper and whites with a flag on it, and a hat, and 6's for eyes...

The outfit is the Norweigan equivalent of the valedictorian gown and hat that all American high school students wear when they graduate.

The sixes I am guessing are a grade equivalent to a D or and F. Placed on a round head they visually resemble the nubs of a stylized virus, to invoke that a virus is responsible for the grades.

E: "Students are graduating with poo poo grades because of covid."

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Feb 25, 2021