Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Everyone posted:

It's a superhero movie. The good and bad guys are going to be clearly and melodramatically defined.

*looks at Watchmen, can't find a good guy*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Serious question - given the historical and cultural issues of race, can you make a villain of color NOT problematic?

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Crackbone posted:

Serious question - given the historical and cultural issues of race, can you make a villain of color NOT problematic?

Sure you can, it just takes a bit of effort. It certainly helps if they're not the only POC in the movie/story, for starters.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Crackbone posted:

The Mandalorian seemed to do okay.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Crackbone posted:

Electro wasn't problematic; the movie was just flawed.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Darko posted:

Electro wasn't problematic; the movie was just flawed.

Minor thing, but through casting they made it so that a black guy gets electric powers. Which is a bit of a comic book cliche.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Everyone posted:

It's a superhero movie. The good and bad guys are going to be clearly and melodramatically defined.

Meanwhile, just because a cause is righteous does not make all of those championing that cause righteous. Osama bin Laden and ISIL were/are surely standing up to western hegemony. Are they the good guys simply because of that? I think not.

I'm not sure that they were. One succeeded beyond his wildest dreams in provoking an attack on the middle east and the other rampaged around the same middle east without really touching America's catspaw in the region.

While superhero movies might have particularly simplistic and archetypical characters (though I feel like they usually don't; the bad guy of Homecoming very sympathetic), it's not always that those characters are smeared every which way specifically to distract from the fact that what they're actually doing in the story is perfectly justified. Compare Killmonger to, say, Thanos, who is objectively mongering way more kills but is in line with fascist population control fantasies and therefore comes off as much more respectable and thoughtful.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I wonder what was up with Val Kilmer being scheduled for DC Fandome before he didn't show up. Lol if they last minute decided to not release the Schumacher Cut.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Spacebump posted:

I wonder what was up with Val Kilmer being scheduled for DC Fandome before he didn't show up. Lol if they last minute decided to not release the Schumacher Cut.

Isn't he pretty sick with cancer? I wouldn't be surprised if he had to cancel for medical reasons.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Violator posted:

Isn't he pretty sick with cancer? I wouldn't be surprised if he had to cancel for medical reasons.

He had treatment for throat cancer four or five years ago. He's cancer-free, but his voice is gone after multiple surgeries and tracheotomies, and I believe he uses an NJ tube for feeding because he has difficulty swallowing.

Supposedly he has a role in Top Gun: Maverick, though, so I guess we'll see how he sounds there.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Crackbone posted:

Absolutely

Just don't be a shithead about it.

I have more indepth thoughts on this but it always drives me nuts when big hollywood projects, and this was an issue in the early to mid 2010s especially, would go out of their way to recast traditionally PoC villains as white people. loving Hell, villains can be some of the coolest role in a story, let them not be white!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Timby posted:

He had treatment for throat cancer four or five years ago. He's cancer-free, but his voice is gone after multiple surgeries and tracheotomies, and I believe he uses an NJ tube for feeding because he has difficulty swallowing.

Supposedly he has a role in Top Gun: Maverick, though, so I guess we'll see how he sounds there.

Watch it be that he injured himself stopping a 9/11

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Burkion posted:

Absolutely

Just don't be a shithead about it.

I have more indepth thoughts on this but it always drives me nuts when big hollywood projects, and this was an issue in the early to mid 2010s especially, would go out of their way to recast traditionally PoC villains as white people. loving Hell, villains can be some of the coolest role in a story, let them not be white!

What's a good example of one? I saw a couple people mention the Mandalorian, but neither Boba or the assassin are particularly deep or compelling. It seems difficult to give a vilain depth of character without stumbling on a trope that's been coded as "PoC are like that".

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 6, 2021

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Crackbone posted:

What's a good example of one?

Darth Vader :v:

Non-comedy answer for a movie that still might as well be a superhero movie: Wesley Snipes in Demolition Man. I mean, he's a gangster and talks gangster stuff, but make him white and he's just a slightly more physical Joker.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mandalorian was already mentioned but yeah. Also Gus Fring.

Giancarlo is just the best villain actor tbh.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Grendels Dad posted:

Non-comedy answer for a movie that still might as well be a superhero movie: Wesley Snipes in Demolition Man. I mean, he's a gangster and talks gangster stuff, but make him white and he's just a slightly more physical Joker.

The "ultimate supercriminal" being a black male isn't problematic? Especially in the context of the 90's "super-predator" poo poo the media/government was throwing around.

CelticPredator posted:

Also Gus Fring.

Fring's a good answer, thank you.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 6, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Ferrinus posted:

I'm not sure that they were. One succeeded beyond his wildest dreams in provoking an attack on the middle east and the other rampaged around the same middle east without really touching America's catspaw in the region.

While superhero movies might have particularly simplistic and archetypical characters (though I feel like they usually don't; the bad guy of Homecoming very sympathetic), it's not always that those characters are smeared every which way specifically to distract from the fact that what they're actually doing in the story is perfectly justified. Compare Killmonger to, say, Thanos, who is objectively mongering way more kills but is in line with fascist population control fantasies and therefore comes off as much more respectable and thoughtful.

Speaking only for myself, I had much more sympathy for Killmonger than I did for Thanos. Thanos's quest was very much self-chosen and kind of idiotic on its face. Killm-, you know what? gently caress that. Killmonger is kind of the "slave name" the CIA coined for him. Erik Stevens was a child with a mother and father who loved him. T'chaka came in and destroyed their family, leaving Erik to rot in Oakland, California foster care, his mother to rot in prison and his father's corpse to rot on the floor. Erik Stevens's return to Wakanda was the definition of "You reap what you sow."

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I mean, Erik Stevens is the rightful king of Wakanda and T’Challa is the usurper.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Crackbone posted:

TRICK QUESTION! We want films to be problematic.

Problematization is a progressive tactic. Basically, anytime you take something and say “wait, this is pretty hosed up”. It opens up a space for new and differing perspectives.

In the case of Black Panther, the story is not ‘problematic’ in some essentialist way; it is made problematic through our ideological critique. The film is appropriated for use as both an example of a problem, and an illustration of broader socioeconomic issues. In other words, a thing cannot ‘be’ problematic until you are aware that there’s a problem.

The view that ‘problematic elements’ are essentially so, and meant to be eliminated, is a liberal (re-)appropriation of this progressive concept. Like, y’know, “Jar Jar Binks talks with an accent and is mistreated by the other characters, with no explicit condemnation. That just ‘is’ racist, and therefore we’ll do a ‘Phantom Edit’ that entirely removes Jar Jar from the film.”

The problem with the liberal use of ‘problematic’ is, obviously, that it’s the opposite of actual problematization: the goal is straight-up to prevent that experience of defamiliarization, and stop you from thinking “wait, it’s kinda hosed up how the Jedis are racist, droids are slaves, etc.”

KVeezy3 posted:

I’m having trouble bridging this gap, because the film seems so utterly committed to a technocratic and ‘apolitical’ Third-Way-ism, which is embodied in T’Challa’s love interest Nakia. T’Challa goes through this journey conflicted by the protectionism of his predecessors and the traumatic figure of Killmonger, and ultimately settles on what Nakia has been pushing for all along - with her leading the vanguard of STEM schools for poor black U.S citizens.

Could the MCU simply be unable to integrate the truth of Killmonger’s plight into its symbolic order without bringing down the entire universe?

The ability to problematize a film is what makes such pure ideology impossible, and no film irredeemable. No matter how dedicated Marvel is to keeping the commoners offscreen, the films remain haunted by them - if only through their conspicuous absence.

So, like, we have Zizek’s redemptive interpretation of the film - where we have the foreclosed possibility that, in sitting down and actually listening to Killmonger, T’Challa will be radicalized.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Coming 2 America is the film Black Panther should be.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Mordiceius posted:

I mean, Erik Stevens is the rightful king of Wakanda and T’Challa is the usurper.

I forget the plot; do you mean he's the rightful king by bloodline, or because he defeated T'Challa in that combat ritual? Or both?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Crackbone posted:

What's a good example of one? I saw a couple people mention the Mandalorian, but neither Boba or the assassin are particularly deep or compelling. It seems difficult to give a vilain depth of character without stumbling on a trope that's been coded as "PoC are like that".

Shredder, Rita Repulsa, Khan from Star Trek (though that was a whole thing thanks to 60s casting)

Also you seem to have gotten your wires crossed on who the villain of Mandalorian is but that's neither here nor there.

Those are the three that I was alluding to. Shredder was a strange case in the first Bay movie because they tried to fix the problem, but ultimately ended up still having it, where the main villain isn't actually Shredder, and instead is just the white dude they originally cast and the actual Shredder lurk around in the background. The two roles were separated, but because one gets face time and the other doesn't, it still pings off.

Rita is a character who exclusively was played by Asian actresses before the reboot movie- while the new one did fine, its still a sore point to me to see her replaced with a white woman when you could have just kept it as an Asian lead.

Khan I don't think I need to go into. Preferably an actual Indian actor should have gotten the role but instead we got the whitest white man at the time up.

Are these deep and compelling characters? Probably not, though you could make a case for Khan in a well written story. But if they're traditionally supposed to be PoC, played by PoC, why would you change them to white people? What does that help? Who does that represent?

Villains get to be fun. They're often show stealers. They dominate the screen and our minds. People love a good villain. And if you're worried about a villain being a PoC because the rest of the cast is white, maybe the villain isn't the problem.

This is very unrelated to the issues with Killmonger, mind. This is a separate thing that's just in the same racial ballpark.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Burkion posted:

Shredder, Rita Repulsa, Khan from Star Trek (though that was a whole thing thanks to 60s casting)

Also you seem to have gotten your wires crossed on who the villain of Mandalorian is but that's neither here nor there.

Those are the three that I was alluding to. Shredder was a strange case in the first Bay movie because they tried to fix the problem, but ultimately ended up still having it, where the main villain isn't actually Shredder, and instead is just the white dude they originally cast and the actual Shredder lurk around in the background. The two roles were separated, but because one gets face time and the other doesn't, it still pings off.

Rita is a character who exclusively was played by Asian actresses before the reboot movie- while the new one did fine, its still a sore point to me to see her replaced with a white woman when you could have just kept it as an Asian lead.

Khan I don't think I need to go into. Preferably an actual Indian actor should have gotten the role but instead we got the whitest white man at the time up.

Are these deep and compelling characters? Probably not, though you could make a case for Khan in a well written story. But if they're traditionally supposed to be PoC, played by PoC, why would you change them to white people? What does that help? Who does that represent?

Villains get to be fun. They're often show stealers. They dominate the screen and our minds. People love a good villain. And if you're worried about a villain being a PoC because the rest of the cast is white, maybe the villain isn't the problem.

This is very unrelated to the issues with Killmonger, mind. This is a separate thing that's just in the same racial ballpark.

All good. You're right that I totally blanked on Moff Gideon being the main villain, but I think to that speaks to the paper-thin characterization of most of the Mandalorian characters.
Also, I appreciate you pointing out good examples, a lot of the reason I asked the question was because I was drawing blanks.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

2house2fly posted:

I forget the plot; do you mean he's the rightful king by bloodline, or because he defeated T'Challa in that combat ritual? Or both?

The latter. They went 1v1 for the throne and T’Challa lost. Then T’Challa went “nuh uh” and illegitimately overthrew the rightful king.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Crackbone posted:

The "ultimate supercriminal" being a black male isn't problematic? Especially in the context of the 90's "super-predator" poo poo the media/government was throwing around.

In that case the answer is probably no, you can't make a villain of color NOT problematic in the 90's.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Wesley Snipes in Demolition Man is the superpredator myth, right? That's the whole point?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just thought he was cool and funny...

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
He's just playing Dennis Rodman

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

The United States posted:

He's just playing Dennis Rodman

I last saw Demolition Man as a teen in the theaters, but I can recall nothing coded about him. He just seems like Snipes doing Rodman with extra theatricality. Honestly iirc his look is quite campy.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Everyone posted:

Speaking only for myself, I had much more sympathy for Killmonger than I did for Thanos. Thanos's quest was very much self-chosen and kind of idiotic on its face. Killm-, you know what? gently caress that. Killmonger is kind of the "slave name" the CIA coined for him. Erik Stevens was a child with a mother and father who loved him. T'chaka came in and destroyed their family, leaving Erik to rot in Oakland, California foster care, his mother to rot in prison and his father's corpse to rot on the floor. Erik Stevens's return to Wakanda was the definition of "You reap what you sow."

Oh, I'm right there with you. It's just funny to compare with Killmonger actually stands for and what Thanos actually stands for with how Killmonger was actually portrayed and how Thanos was actually portrayed. Thanos was a (provably!!!) loving father making heavy sacrifices for what he was convinced - and, honestly, what he convinced everyone else, since they never really had a counterargument - was the greater good. Killmonger just gets every possible signifier of being a stupid rear end in a top hat, such that we're supposed to understand that only some kind of pathological fuckup would ever want to do anything but buddy up with the U S of A.

But, again, there's a lesson to be drawn, just by virtue of comparing who gets to be a genteel philosopher and who has to be a vortex of maladaptive behaviors and mental complexes. Why did the entirety of the MCU build to the revelation that the guy who wants to do a genocide kinda has a point, actually? Hmmm...

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Ferrinus posted:

Oh, I'm right there with you. It's just funny to compare with Killmonger actually stands for and what Thanos actually stands for with how Killmonger was actually portrayed and how Thanos was actually portrayed. Thanos was a (provably!!!) loving father making heavy sacrifices for what he was convinced - and, honestly, what he convinced everyone else, since they never really had a counterargument - was the greater good. Killmonger just gets every possible signifier of being a stupid rear end in a top hat, such that we're supposed to understand that only some kind of pathological fuckup would ever want to do anything but buddy up with the U S of A.

But, again, there's a lesson to be drawn, just by virtue of comparing who gets to be a genteel philosopher and who has to be a vortex of maladaptive behaviors and mental complexes. Why did the entirety of the MCU build to the revelation that the guy who wants to do a genocide kinda has a point, actually? Hmmm...

The overpopulation argument is kind of BS on its face. It's something that sounds good because it lets the privileged (like, honestly, you and me) off the hook. "Welp, Africans are starving because there's just too drat many Africans. It can't have anything to do with the fact that I'd much rather use my Macbook Pro laptop to go online than sell it to get money to send aid to starving people. BTW, along with there being way too many Africans, we're facing a critical shortage of hot Swedish bikini models who want to sex up fat nerds like me. Something must be done."

One of the more hosed up things about racism, American style, is how it partly arose out of the desire of slave-owning assholes to want to see themselves as good people. If they just said, "Yeah, your chief liked our gold more than he liked you, so he sold your rear end to a slave ship captain who sold you to me and now you get to pick cotton for the rest of your life. Tough poo poo for you," that makes them kind of the bad guys exploiting other people. But, if black people are just... "less than" sort of like human-looking animals who "need" the structure and security of slavery, well, then owning slaves makes you a good person for helping them out, doesn't it?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
all this talk about whether black people or white people should be villains are ignoring the true villains: albinos.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

all this talk about whether black people or white people should be villains are ignoring the true villains: albinos.

Clearly albinos are just vampires that successfully rebranded.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

I just thought he was cool and funny...

He owned

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Shut up about relitigating Black Panther for the millionth time.

https://twitter.com/lovethundernews/status/1368294584447537166

https://twitter.com/lovethundernews/status/1367712462544453633?s=19

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Cythereal posted:

:stare:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I was wondering if there were any positive portrayals of albinos in movies/TV and looking over the Wikipedia page for Albinism in popular culture it's pretty much The Witcher and a few anime characters.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I was wondering if there were any positive portrayals of albinos in movies/TV and looking over the Wikipedia page for Albinism in popular culture it's pretty much The Witcher and a few anime characters.

Moby Dick is the hero.

Also Pete White in The Venture Bros... okay, kinda. Funny thing is that his visual design is an exaggerated version of one of the show creators, who has mild albinism himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Cythereal posted:

A small part of me is looking forward to the outrage from the comicsgate/gamergate crowd, that will happen when this film and the Ms. Marvel series comes out. It is going to be delicious to watch.