Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

it's been noted before but Harry Potter is ultimately a children's series with suitably exaggerated mythic elements that relate to the target audience's lives in ways more muted, nuanced and realistic portrayals wouldn't. so: Harry lives in a cupboard under the stairs (he shares a tiny room with his brother in a cramped council house)! Snape is an abusive monster (he's a strict teacher that doesn't comfort and coddle you like your nursery school teacher did)! Dumbledore hides the truth, keeps secrets and acts erratically for no reason (adults' lives are strange and they regularly have conversations you don't understand)! etc etc

also with regard to house elves I think Rowling is specifically parodying "right-on" left-wing student politics of the 80s-90s, in which well-meaning but distant middle-class educated types become very invested in worthy causes regardless of the actual needs or lived experiences of the people they are fighting for. Rowling is I think a fairly standard New Labour liberal, not a Tory in the aristocratic tradition, so "serving classes know their place" probably doesn't apply

which isn't to say she handles any of this particularly deftly or well, of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

can't wait to watch the movie about the aliens who don't do anything

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Burkion posted:

wait I think I misread something

no no, he's talking about the four elements: earth, fire, water and asia

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

There’s an Esquire interview where he whines about how getting huge only exacerbated his body dysmorphia.

hoisted by his own PED-art

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

on a very base level I did appreciate The Suicide Squad managing to hit the notes of a suicide mission/heist movie, like the initial mission premise, the hidden agenda, the rogue agent and so on. the Ayer movie seemed a little muddled in that respect (presumably because of the rewrites/re-edit?)

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Loki: not about timelines intersecting. TVA makes sure all universes follow a basic script (timeline, as in a literal line of events over time) that results in no Kangs. without TVA, the universes diverge as each timeline varies, each resulting in a different Kang. as TVA exists outside time and interferes throughout history, this process is retroactive (with some degree of handwavery to make a linear storyline for the audience)

e: you see the ring of universes at the end - multiple threads that loop around in a circle, because they all follow the same script/timeline. when they are allowed to vary, they fracture and offshoots travel out in all directions - different scripts/timelines

Lt. Danger fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 8, 2022

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

movies should be watched in silence or not at all :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

my son is also called Blackagar