Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1367186326026526720

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The suicide squad proves that James Gunn only has one idea and one idea only. It’s basically a rated R guardians of the galaxy down to the Shark basically being Groot. It’s very dull and not even that funny. I appreciated the gore though.

But man you can feel Will Smith’s absence in this so hard

E: seems like this movie was tailor made to win over MCU fans because of how goofy and colorful it is or whatever. The same praise this movie is getting and how it’s finally “a good DC” movie is the same poo poo that was said about Shazam. Guess people forgot about shazam

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 6, 2021

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Blood Boils posted:

Edit: ppl forget about Shazam because it's very forgetable!

Been saying this.

Margot Robbie is wasted on this movie. It is absolutely wild. They just had no idea what to do with her here. I like Idris Elba and Cena here but everyone else just felt boring.

The needle drops in this movie are also just kind of confusing and feels obligated. I felt like I was watching a video on YouTube of a video game cutscenes without gameplay to see a story. I don’t know man it’s not for me but obviously people are loving this. Which is fine, but this is definitely my off ramp from DC I think. Not nearly as good as the first suicide squad or birds of prey imo

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The more I think about this movie and the more posts I read, I’ve come to the conclusion that this movie is just so convoluted, maybe more so than the original

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Looks like this movie is flopping hard and everyone's mostly pointing to no bankable movie stars

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2021/08/07/the-suicide-squad-box-office-bomb-idris-elba-will-smith-dc-films/?sh=3170b3af177d

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I'm gonna wait for the streaming numbers to come out to see if it flopped at home. Here in Texas people are still going to the theater a bunch.

E: for example In the Heights also flopped hard on streaming

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Crackbone posted:

Given that Harley has been in back to back flops WB will probably conclude people are sick of her.

Yeah i think it’s extremely clear now that Harley Quinn alone is not enough to get people to watch these movies.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Spacebump posted:

Didn’t the only movie with Harley in it released not during a pandemic make money and win an Oscar?

BoP was only at the start of the pandemic but it also had the worst ad campaign I can think of for a modern big budget comic movie.

Yeah you know who else was in that? Will Smith

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Vegetable posted:

It’s a sign that I’m a jaded old person now but I genuinely get pretty peeved when protagonists drive dangerously in movies and it’s played off as necessary or funny. Automobile accidents kill millions every year. Pop culture goes a long way to normalize lovely anti-social behavior.

well this sure was a take

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

This annoyed me a bit too, honestly her whole home base crew did. I liked stone cold Waller icing her team in 2016 more

I really did not like the crew and her getting owned by her own team came extremely out of left field.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

We are run by Rick Flag and the office crew. Waller is there to provide a contrast so the kinder friendlier imperialists seem downright progressive by comparison. Sure, sometimes bad people do bad things on the name of America but there are good people in these organizations who will stop them and those people need our support.

Please say sike

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Alec Eiffel posted:

Sorry. I shouldn't have phrased it rhetorically. Do you? Does SMG?

I enjoyed parts of this movie and disliked others. Ultimately it was OK and I didn't feel like I wasted my time.

You don’t have to like the politics of the movie to enjoy a movie, but what’s the problem with discussing them in the first place? I think there’s some very interesting discussions happening in this thread over the movie. At least to me that is

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Shang chi loving sucked. It was just a typical marvel movie. CGI and green screen looked horrendous

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

stev posted:

I thought the fights were mostly great but I agree the green screening was iffy to say the least. Some of the shots of the bus were particularly awful - when you could see they were just standing in a metal tube composited against the street.

Some of the more picturesque shots were ruined by it too.

Yeah some of the fights were neat, but 1 or 2 cool fights doesn’t make a movie. I’ll put on a legit martial arts movie if I want that. Here there’s just so much marvel that it detracts. The back story is cool and all, then we get to present time and it’s simu + awkwafina comedy banter hour. WHAT EVEN WAS THEIR RELATIONSHIP???

The whole thing with the sister completely fell flat, I get what they were going for, but it just felt like a little too much extra. Annoyed by the whole thing honestly. By the time you get to the big cgi battle at the end it’s like yep here’s another big field cgi battle.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Sandwolf posted:

Read through all these tweets and I can honestly say no two people seem to be complaining about the same thing and also no one’s criticisms make sense.

I’m not saying they can’t make sense to someone but Minions? Sailor Moon OVA??? And Jojo Rabbit was loving great.

Its great that you personally liked that movie. But it was rear end

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Sandwolf posted:

thanks for sharing OP

You're welcome. I'm here for the Taika Waititi backlash.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Jimbot posted:

Twitter impression reviews are poo. They're just a bunch of words strung together that makes you wonder what the heck.

I think this only applies in this instance to Taika Waititi fans who adore him and can't see the other side of the coin (every single terrible acting role he was in last year alone)

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://twitter.com/ShakExcellence/status/1542534568883929089

New Minions has ascended in the meme hierarchy btw.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

well why not posted:

It does beg the question of why exactly Christian Bale is in this movie. He can't need money, he can do whatever films he wants, and chose to do ... this? Weird guy.

People like money

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
You guys don't understand. Rich people LOVE getting more money. Simple as

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Thor ragnarok was a Trojan horse movie. Somehow tricked everyone into believing Taika Waititi was a good director. We are now seeing that crumble. Time judges all

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Taika would start recycling his own jokes by hour 3 so I get it

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He's right that in no reasonable world did Justice League require 4.5 hours to tell its story.

Wrong bitch

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Bring back intermissions for real. I’m always getting up and pausing the movie at home. I remember watching hateful 8 in 70MM and that had an intermission and it was great!

Having a break is a good thing!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah, the intermission will never come back to American cinemas. That would reduce how many showings they could have in a day. (Which is dumb because it would also dramatically increase how much concessions people would buy.)

That’s what’s so frustrating about it! Like cmon that’s just money being left on the table!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

tsob posted:

Almost everything ever said about the film centers around how it subverts things, so I'm willing to take it on faith that it does. Maybe everyone is wrong, but if they are then I don't care enough to find out. I have no opinion on the film itself, since I haven't seen it; I probably wasn't going to enjoy it though because I generally don't like any of the Star Wars films. So I'd already decided not to bother with the rest of the trilogy before The Last Jedi actually came out based on The Force Awakens. Or maybe it was less of a conscious decision, and more of an subconscious one.

Regardless, I found The Force Awakens boring, but even if it's boring the fact the second film throws out a lot of things set up in it, which are then thrown out themselves by Rise of Skywalker would probably annoy me, because I'd prefer to see dull ideas built on than have them just thrown away in favor of new ones. At least within things that are supposed to build on each other. So nothing I've heard about the film has made me interested in seeing it.

I mean you made the right choice deciding to skip on the rest of the sequel trilogy that’s for sure, but this is more for the Star Wars thread really.

As for comic book movies. I’m interested to see what Disney/Feige even do. Looks like Dr Strange 2 is gonna end up being the best mcu box office of the year with Thor 4 having lower day 1 numbers.

Black panther 2 is gonna be an interesting case since the Boseman passed. On a marketing level it’s also interesting since the last movie had a whole rear end compilation album from Kendrick Lamar. I just can’t see it even touching the previous movie’s box office but who knows.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

That isn't remotely true. TLJ's biggest subversion is going "No, actually, you can be important without being part of a super special bloodline and it is entirely possible and reasonable for someone to become great without their grandfather being Palpatine" which is of course why they ran that back as fast as they could in ROS to make sure everyone knew bloodline purity was the real important thing.

It sucked bro

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Nah. It's much better than the "actually these same 6 people are the only important people in the entire universe and everything revolves exclusively around them." People just didn't like it because they'd built up Luke Skywalker as a perfect heroic figure who never made mistakes. (Well that or they were upset about the the old EU where... Luke Skywalker hosed up training Jedis and his Nephew turned into an evil sith lord while the Empire returned and eventually the New Republic crumbled but it's different because they were 10 when they started reading that.)

I'd say "thankfully the entire loving cast is dead so hopefully they can move on" but somehow they still can't so I fully expect his movies to revolve around loving Chewbacca's cousin or something.

It was a boring movie OP. Just watched it this week too.

Your comment about Luke is interesting considering he did do a lot of mistakes all the time in the OT. You ever watch empire strikes back?

The universe didn’t really revolve just these characters, the prequels for example had a lot of characters! But it really sounds like you just don’t like the cast or didn’t want them in a new movie. These movies did the old cast very dirty. They killed Han, they killed Luke. Before they could even get them together for literally 1 scene. It’s a huge disservice!

One of the biggest reasons why people hate these movies is because they basically reduced and made unimportant the whole OT adventure. Basically it was all for nothing. Han is a loser who lost the Millenium falcon. Leia is a loser who hosed up the republic somehow and is leading a new batch of rebels…again.

Everything Luke did was basically for nothing.

At least that’s my perspective but this’ll be my last post about Star Wars here and we can keep going in the Star Wars thread :)

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Bob Iger spoke at my sister’s graduation last year and he mentioned Black Panther was his biggest accomplishment. He gave lip service to how inclusive it was. But really he probably meant it made 1 billion at the box office

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

bushisms.txt posted:

He got to collaborate with the CIA in getting black people to celebrate respectability politics in the name of forgetting black equality. Respect.

Lol just remembered the ending to black panther lmao

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Black panther’s cast was able to carry some of its ps2 level VFX (underground wakanda/train fight sequence at the end). Like man they’ve been able to get away with some of that stuff for so long.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

well why not posted:

A lot of people are getting big mad about the promo Taika and Tessa Thompson made talking about the edit / effects of Love & Thunder.

I think before anyone gets bigmad about it in here they should understand that AU/NZ humor more or less revolves around understatement and outright ridiculous lies. So when he says he hasn't seen the movie, maybe just settle down lol.

drat AU/NZ humor fuckin sucks

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I think it’s insane that the guys who literally made movies that people explicitly loved because of the theater experience, is now talking poo poo about movie theaters lmao.

And for a Netflix movie, cmon bro.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They explicitly say that people should have the option. Their Netflix movie is releasing in theaters first and they said they shot it with the theater in mind, but that most movies can be enjoyed perfectly fine without all the up-charges and logistics of a theater and the movie industry is the only major industry in America that forces people into that situation. And the official reasoning for it is that they are doing it to movie watchers "for their own good" because they don't understand the "sacredness" of the theater/business model. Nobody is hurt (except for the theater monopolies and studios) by letting people have options.

If Amazon required you to come pick up all of your orders from the Amazon warehouse because it "builds character" and to do it any other way would violate the sacredness of the way the company intended for people to interact with their product, everyone would rightly say that is crazy. Movies are the only industry where we still accept that consumers have 0 influence in how/when they get to interact with the product they've purchased. The theater can also straight up refuse to screen a movie and make it impossible for you to access it without a lot of travel.

There is no actual reason why it has to be the only option. It's just the way it is for business reasons. The appeals to the sacredness of the theater and helping people "for their own good" see the movie in that format are put forward as a defense explicitly because there isn't a reasonable defense in favor of the consumer that you can make.

What I’m saying is who wants to watch a Russo brothers movie at home.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
You gotta respect a man that never breaks kayfabe

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The children are later trained to be child soldiers in the ending montage / wrap up. Explicitly in the movie. (thor 4)

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Scott pilgrim has like 4 commentary tracks and it loving owns.

I also really enjoy a david fincher commentary too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Sandwolf posted:

If that’s true that really sucks. Disney is loving lovely as hell for taking the one cool black man superhero (Sam Wilson’s Captain America is complicit in the system) and replacing him with a woman just feels lovely. Why no black man superhero?

E: maybe I’m being sensitive to something I have no business caring about but it seems pretty gross that the only black man superhero is the one who’s cop-adjacent.

My brother, black panther literally teams up with the cia in the first one