Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah, he’d definitely be an FDR Democrat (and probably a racist).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
And more tension than Three Days of the Condor! What a masterpiece.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Weirdly enough, Man of Steel & Batman v Superman with a black Superman probably would have made them better.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Necrothatcher posted:

Twitter seems to be celebrating Amber Heard being fired from Aquaman 2 despite there being no evidence that this has actually happened.

I genuinely can’t decipher what happened with that whole situation because I’m only reminded of it when I see it trending on Twitter and it’s entirely populated by freaks who want to wear Johnny Depp’s skin.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

Speaking on WandaVision again, it's funny to see so many Marvel fans now defending it for being so "revolutionary" and amazing, because the only parts of it that are actually unique to any degree were the sitcom parodies, and only a few weeks ago when the show started the very same MCU fans were all talking about how bad that was and they hated them and were only saved from bailing on the show by the rapid injection of standard MCU bullshit. So even the show they're praising for being so revolutionary and outside the MCU box... those are the precise parts they hated when they aired!

Filming a Marvel property to look like a TV show isn’t even that revolutionary, just look at The Avengers.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Don't forget that Captain Marvel is basically an ad for the Air Force!

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

hiddenriverninja posted:

In the music department, I think would like to have seen a Junkie XL/Hans Zimmer collab joint for ZSJL. Not that I think the score is bad, but for me, Zimmer's music just has that warm blanket familiarity to it that I like.

Just put on the soundtrack for “Sunshine” while Justice League plays if you want the Hans Zimmer experience.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Mat Cauthon posted:

Immensely lovely that Ray Fisher's career is going to be the only one to really take a hit here.

Also pretty interesting that Affleck of all people tried to get the rest of the main cast to walk out in protest of Whedon's bullshit. Wouldn't have expected that.

Affleck once shut down production for 4 days because he refused to wear a Yankees hat and got his way so presumably he understands the power he wields, which is probably why Whedon didn't gently caress with him.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
I mean there's a good chance he's been an alcoholic while on set but he's also an experienced, award-winning writer & director in his own right so I imagine he knows how things are supposed to run and how people are supposed to be treated.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Affleck has worked with Terence Malick, John Frankenheimer, Gus Van Sant, Richard Linklater and Michael Bay so I doubt Joss Whedon is going to intimidate him.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Everyone posted:

Why not? Along with being an actor, Affleck is a writer and a director (he directed Gone Baby Gone, The Town and Argo). He knows the difference between directing and bull-poo poo power-playing and he has enough standing to not be willing to put up with the latter - even if it wasn't directed at him.

He should have invited Bruce Willis on set for a day and then asked Whedon about camera lenses.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

After having watched half of his Much Ado about Nothing adaptation, I feel safe in saying that Whedon doesn't quite 'get' Shakespeare.

“You lit all your shots so they’d work in black & white, huh? That’s great, Zack. You know, I have experience filming in black & white, too...”

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
The Mandarin being some loser actor was one of the genuinely hilarious things to come from the MCU and I’m bummed they’re abandoning that.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Jedit posted:

They didn't abandon it. Slattery was only ever a front for the real Mandarin - the movie didn't hide this.

I thought the whole organization was made up by Guy Pearce but maybe I’m wrong. It made sense as a continuation of the other Iron Man movies, where the terrifying Other was really just a front for a white capitalist rear end in a top hat.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
I think Wesley Snipes would argue that Blade is all about him being cool as gently caress, whereas the sequels are less so and are thus less cool. I'm inclined to agree.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Guy A. Person posted:

He also has the peace keeping robots in Avengers 2 that Ultron takes over, and the much worse assassination drones in Far From Home. He effectively "let's" Rhodes have the War Machine armor and presumably upgrades it over the course of the movies, and Rhodes is directly using it in a military capacity (unless the idea is that they are still using the original armor he took and it's the military itself that just keeps upgrading the armor).

Never really thought about it but it's darkly hilarious that Stark steals Vanko's robots from Iron Man 2 and uses them to save himself in Iron Man 3 and then enforce American hegemony around the world in Avengers 2. Fuckin' Starks, always stealing from the Vankos.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Shageletic posted:

Lol.

Is there an action movie outside of Blade that was a) widely popular, b) didnt have noxious conservative politics, and c) minorities as villains or dickless assistants or best friends high fiving the real white hero...like ever?

Honestly want to know because I'd like to show my future kids that kind of poo poo.

Elysium has a white hero but good politics, I guess. There’s not many!

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

LesterGroans posted:

I remember it was in this thread that someone posted "obviously the character flashbacks were originally supposed to be spaced out throughout the film" and it made me go, gently caress, of course. Instantly had a better movie in my head when I adjusted for that. Glad to see they were right.

Rick Flagg, especially, makes no sense because they explain his entire tragic backstory and then shift to him being a complete rear end in a top hat to everyone and the "mystery" of why the monster-things are trying to capture instead of kill him.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
I mean I feel like I understood Cyborg’s character after his 5-minute vignette in ZSJL than I do Thor’s character after 7 movies

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

RatHat posted:

So assuming the ending of Black Widow along with the ending of F&WS is setting up Dark Avengers, who would the other ones be? For Iron Man I guess they could bring back Jeff Bridges as Iron Monger, and Abomination was in the Shang-chi trailer so he could be Hulk, but there's not really anyone for Thor or Hawkeye(unless they're introduced in Thor 4 and the Hawkeye TV show).

I assume Jane & Kate Bishop will be Thor & Hawkeye. Definitely seems like they’re setting up an alternate Avengers to contrast with the New Avengers or whatever the gently caress.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Can’t believe that dumbass paid money to post on the internet

Wait, poo poo

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
I liked Shazam :colbert:

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Marvel shied away from referencing Nazis at every possible opportunity in The First Avenger.

It was pretty funny that Hydra was twice as evil as regular Nazis so they gave the Nazi salute with both hands, though.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
They had Groot steal someone’s mechanical eye in GotG2 and Thor had his eye ripped out in Ragnarok but they did not have Groot give Thor the mechanical eye he stole in Infinity War. This has always bothered me.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

All of the performances of the cast just feel a little off from the trailer. It's probably bias from all of the other versions of Batman, but, even though the cast themselves are great, something about Colin Farrell, Zoe Kravitz, Andy Serkis, Robert Pattinson, and John Turtorro all feel like they have the goth/goofy/serious levels miscalibrated a little.

Not sure if this makes sense but they feel like people cast for an audiobook version of a Batman story and not a film

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

2house2fly posted:

Spiderman was one of my favourite bits in Civil War. It's a Captain America movie, but Iron Man wants it to be an Iron Man movie so he keeps butting his nose in, to the extent that he yanks Peter Parker out of the opening sequence of a nearby Spiderman movie to help him

I really thought Homecoming was going to be Stark trying and failing to guide Peter and then an on-the-run Cap would show up to inspire him down the right path. And then I guess Stark was just right about everything? Kinda forget the end, to be honest.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

My minor gripe about SM2 is that ock loving whipped a car at Peter and MJ that would have killed them if he wasn't spiderman. Thing is, Otto was visiting Peter to shake him down for information. Kinda hard to do if you get crushed by station wagon.

I’m pretty sure they added that in entirely to make a kickass trailer and it absolutely worked.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Opens it up for Zach Braff to be Blue Beetle, too, which also somehow works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
I’m sorry I mentioned Zach Braff