Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
VEHICLE: 1970 BMW 2002
GOAL: Make it my old man car
DIFFICULTY: I have no clue but I'm pretty sure I'm going to be pouring money into it

I had been looking for one of these forever. I've always liked the look of the 2002 but no one has ever sold a running one for less than 9k. I found this on craigslist for 6k.

Runs well: New carb. Has a '76 motor replacement with about 60K miles. New master cylinder. Shifting is smooth.
All external electrical (lights, wipers) functional.
Interior electrical (heater, etc) is in good shape. Speedo not connected. Some knobs are connected wrong.
Floorboards are rusted, baseball sized hole on driver side floorboard.

Cosmetic: Interior is rough. Door panels need to be replaced. Door lock missing on passenger side. Seller gave me replacement roof with functioning moonroof that I'm definitely going to pay to have replaced.

Future: Making a video series of my adventures in restoration and updating this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
How in the world are there no replies to this thread yet? Roundie 2002, in pretty good shape, and it sounds like you're going to be taking care of it. Hell yes!

Are you keeping the bumper-less look? I like them that way.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
This is going to be awesome, I'm jealous.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Very cool project.

LegoMan posted:

Cosmetic: Interior is rough. Door panels need to be replaced. Door lock missing on passenger side. Seller gave me replacement roof with functioning moonroof that I'm definitely going to pay to have replaced.

Do this last, like right before you're ready to sink the money in to paint. That's a hell of a lot of work just to introduce something that rattles and leaks, over the years of my car ownership I've grown to really really hate moonroofs. At the very least, drive the car without it enough to know if you can live that way.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Cool car. I do love these 2002s, and yours looks pretty solid in that picture as well.

Odd that the speedo drive isn't connected. Broken cable?

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004
Such a soft spot for roundies! Looking forward to all the many trials and tribulations ahead!!

DrChu
May 14, 2002

LloydDobler posted:

Very cool project.

Do this last, like right before you're ready to sink the money in to paint. That's a hell of a lot of work just to introduce something that rattles and leaks, over the years of my car ownership I've grown to really really hate moonroofs. At the very least, drive the car without it enough to know if you can live that way.

It looks like the car in the photo has one already. LegoMan - are you just replacing the moonroof mechanism or the whole roof?

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

You give me hope for how I too may one day burn lots of money.

FlyFishinInnuendo
Apr 14, 2005
Oh man, this is my kind of thread. I remember following Contraband's 2002 project thread like a decade ago.

I had a white '73 in high school that had electrical gremlins. I think there was a short in the horn - it would honk when you turned the wheel to a certain point. I still remember inadvertently honking at an old lady while turning into a parking lot, and then honking again as the wheel straightened.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

FlyFishinInnuendo posted:

Oh man, this is my kind of thread. I remember following Contraband's 2002 project thread like a decade ago.

I had a white '73 in high school that had electrical gremlins. I think there was a short in the horn - it would honk when you turned the wheel to a certain point. I still remember inadvertently honking at an old lady while turning into a parking lot, and then honking again as the wheel straightened.

I had a Dodge Dakota that did that, but only prior to my ownership.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

DrChu posted:

It looks like the car in the photo has one already. LegoMan - are you just replacing the moonroof mechanism or the whole roof?

Oh you're right, don't know why I didn't catch that.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

hurry up and post some content! :)

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
I've been wanting to get my father in laws going again..

he used to race it in the 80s, its fully caged on some OLD race compound tires. My wife used to drive it on the street pretty regularly.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Wow I didn't expect any replies to this. I thi k I might keep the sharknose look to it rather than add any kind of bumper kit.

As far as the roof is concerned, I kind of have to replace it because the inside of the roof is rusted so bad just touching it drops poo poo in your eyes.

Were reorganizing our garage so I can move it in and have a dry place to work on it. I'm not a pro mechanic but I've been in "mechanical" field for 20 years so I can manage with some things.

I think my first step will be to remove the floor pan sections that are bad and replace them. Theres a straight up hole looking at the ground on the driver side.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

DrChu posted:

No whats there is a caulked/tack welded closed moon roof. Theres no mechanism inside the car to operate it.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Alright we finally cleaned out our garage and I moved the car into it's home for the foreseeable future.

I had originally intended to replace the roof with the moon-roof replacement but changed my mind thinking about leaking (and from advice here in the thread). My idea now is to have a body shop look at the cutout section and attempt to fill it or weld something in place to cover and paint over it. I don't want the slightly recessed section to be visible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FoQpBOZHjI

In this video I quickly scanned over the driver side floorboard. I want to focus on this section first. The '70 2002 has segmented floorpans so I should be able to do the work without cutting out the risers. The section on the left (at the very start of the video) isn't part of the floorpan and I'll just have to weld on a replacement sheet after cutting out the rust. The left side speaker hole area is going to probably need to be fully replaced as well.

I really feel uncomfortable with pedals my feet slip off so I'll have to get something for clutch/brake.

Second video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPKdL-XsjWk shows the dash work I need to do (there's a button on the left I'm guessing is the hazard but it's broken off.) The panels on the door are rotting so I'll have to find something for that.

My next update will be once these issues are fixed. Also I will turn my phone sideways.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Jeeze! That seems like a fine deal for a 2002 that runs and drives. Im jealous and will be living vicariously through you. I've always wanted one

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
2 Days Later...

After spending hours scraping off a metric fuckton of Bondo they used to fill in all the holes, I've got my path laid out ahead of me for patching the driver-side floor pan. I still don't want to remove the whole thing because 80% is still in good condition. I bought some 22 gauge steel I'm going to mold into the right shape, pop rivet it in place, and weld all nice and clean like. Then I'm going to spray the poo poo out of it with rust converter and rust sealant.

Anyone have any ideas on what I should use for the floor pans as a sound-proof / upholstery type material?

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

did not turn out nearly as beautiful as it was in my head. However it's solid as a rock, doesn't make any noise when I tap on it, and it's sealed to hell and back. Once the upholstery is put over it you won't even see it. If in the future it doesn't work out I'll just have the floorpan replaced.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

LegoMan posted:

did not turn out nearly as beautiful as it was in my head. However it's solid as a rock, doesn't make any noise when I tap on it, and it's sealed to hell and back. Once the upholstery is put over it you won't even see it. If in the future it doesn't work out I'll just have the floorpan replaced.

You can no longer see the front tire through the floorboards. Success!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Yeah, nothing wrong with that.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
I'm in the process of rolling out 80mil deadening film. Scraping out all the old film (heatgun made it so much easier) and rolling out the new stuff is hell on my knees and my hands so it's taking a while but I'll have some pictures of the final result when it's done. After that it's replacing the door panels and getting upholstery put in.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Rolling out the film is taking ages, and since I'm a broken shell of an old man I can only do so much before I need to pound Advil. I'm about 60% done.

Called an upholstery place and they quoted me ~$1000 for carpet kit/installation. (450 - set, 70 shipping, 450 install). So I looked up prices online and found carpet sets for 250. Going to do it myself.

Ordered door/rear cab panels. Putting 4 coats of flat black lacquer paint and a coat (maybe 2) of semi-gloss over it.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Chiming in from the weeds to say I love this thread, and you're not just shouting into a void with your posts- you have an audience.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
I appreciate that, although I'm not really an auto guy so I'll mostly posting for people to chime in and catch me doing something wrong so I can correct course.

I wish I could change the title because there will be no video series I am far too lazy

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

LegoMan posted:

I wish I could change the title because there will be no video series I am far too lazy

I can :D

(Let me know if you want it changed to something different)

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I can :D

(Let me know if you want it changed to something different)

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

I’ve always wanted to own a 2002 but won’t have the time anytime soon to take on a project like this.

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Small update: Dampening film now complete. I have a carpet set on order. Before I put it in, I think I'm going to scrape the rust off the roof and see what I can do for a roof panel. Next update will have lots of pictures.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I love 2002s. Once in a blue moon I think about selling my '67 Fiat 500F for a nice 2002 roundie. Glad to see this project coming along.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
I have no idea what I'm doing update

I managed to get as much of the deadening film down as I wanted to. Honestly this was torture but with as thin and old as everything is I can't imagine the road noise I just eliminated.

I have a ton of the film left, so to help with vibration on my panels I put a layer around where it contacts the frame.

And a layer around the edge on the outside as well, to be trimmed after the seat goes back in.

Finally removed the old foam on the inner roof and removed some of the rust. Yes, that's actually after I removed the rust.

Here's where the dog comes in. I assumed it would be easy to piece together where the carpet sections go. I was wrong. It's going to take a minute or two for sure and some youtube watching.

But that color tho :kiss:

Next steps: Install rest of carpet. Install Door Panels. Put the seats back in and let a professional decide what to do about my roof.

Also I think my shift boot is coming on to me
:nws: :nws:

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Bonus: Dewey inspecting carpets for flaws

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
First time putting on carbon fiber vinyl

Don't think I did half bad.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

LegoMan posted:

Bonus: Dewey inspecting carpets for flaws

Oh I like Dewey. Claws for Flaws.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Both front door panels complete. Next steps, welding in a bolt to the gear shift to convert the whatever 14mm size they use in Germany to the standard size so I can use whatever knob I want.

Also rear panels need the carbon fiber treatment.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

This beautiful baby is on its way. Pretty much the last piece I'm going to do myself interior wise until all the electrical is finished

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
very cool

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Sorry about not updating at all. There hasn't been a lot of progress done. I'm working on finding new employment and that has taken all of my bandwidth.

I installed the center console with a snazzy shift boot.

Unfortunately there's a burning oil problem at high RPMs and no place around me (including the Euro focused shops) know how to work on something from 1970. SO I'm right now just trying to find a shop willing to work on it, or (saving) paying for an S14 Engine and swapping that in instead.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Getting caught up on this thread - that console is baller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Small update (which references a huge update):

It's kind of been sitting in my garage for a while. I've been slowly working on the doorpanels, replacing the carbon fiber (yuck) with real leather. It looks nicer but I'm still not happy with how the edges look so I'm looking for some sort of trim to go around it.

Also I just dropped it off at a German Auto Shop for a complete top to bottom engine/transmission/exhaust rebuild