Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
sounds like a trading places remake is in order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_breaking_virus

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

looking forward to folks who are going to get cocky and try to play the futures markets lol

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

y'all have to be on the floor like eddie and wait for it

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Lostconfused posted:

This thread was kind of low on container talk when that poo poo was blowing up last fall tbh.

dang im in the industry and missed all the container talk

well it still sucks!

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Omnicarus posted:

So there's another tab on this trading app that is called Forex is that something worth looking into?

you should short on forex, be like soros

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

make sure you do da dip when you tootsie roll

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

lol if people go after silver lmao

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

No Mods No Masters posted:

Glenn's...... right??

lol that intelligent investor quote is strong studying the blade energy

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

lol this thread almost made me look into stupid doge coin but that's ok ill just let my set it and forget index funds reach a respectable 6 digits at retirement and then die

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

well if dogecoin gets a place in history then lol

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Rutibex posted:

negative interest? so i can borrow unlimited money so long as i promise to give less of it back later? the longer i hold the "debt" the less i have to pay? sounds good i'll take 1,000 trillion pounds please

it’s a big incentive for banks to loan money essentially, it’s how I have family in Japan that live in an expensive house while not making that much money because if you can get rates below 1 percent that’s free money lol

Not sure is Japan is in negative interest still at the moment. when I told them my interest rate for my house in USA they gasped at a super high rate of 4.25( now much lower after refinancing last year)

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

my current employer’s match is 10% unlimited . it sounds good until you either do the quick math or have worked anywhere else that does like 100% up to X% if you contribute that much. HR tired to tell me how awesome it was and buddy .10 for every dollar I put in is not good.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

DMCrimson posted:

Also, unironically start funding your 529 as soon as you get a kid (or even before!) because student loans are just your problem, it's the next generation's too.

yeah...that’s what we did and I’m like here is another loving fund I got to deal with
HSA
IRA(due to changing jobs a lot and rolling over 401k)
FSA-Dependent Care

I have to be a dang accountant in my spare time to do all of this poo poo and x2 since spouse and I both contribute.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

DMCrimson posted:

My hot take on the 529 is that more and more things will be an allowed education-relevant expense and soon, we'll just loving let all childcare funds come out of that dumb 529 plan and let rich people pay no taxes and poor people who couldn't save up will have to pay taxes. Always accurate to expect the worse.

that's what the FSA Dependent care is for . Before Covid it probably saved us $700 a year but like every loving plan like this, you need to have the money upfront to pay and then you get reimbursed. Also, some company has your money they can can reinvest in while you have to take time out of your day to file claims to make sure you get that money back. Also make sure your receipt has all of the information on it like tax ids and poo poo. The newer FSA I now use is a lot better with receipts but it's a real chore.

Also you can't just be like well this month I'll put in 200 in FSA and next month 100 or whatever. You have to at the beginning of the yearly process tell the provider yeah i want to contribute the full $5k spread out over the year.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Mr. Lobe posted:

yeah but there's still some good things in life

like for me, it's snowing outside

I love the snow
Friday to Yesterday I ran the snow blower 3 times and spent hours shoveling my driveway/sidewalk. gently caress the snow.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

seems like Texas energy is ran by the companies up here in Michigan that go to poorer neighborhoods and try to get your gas account info to change over to a reseller so they can jack up your rates even though there is 0 reason to ever change

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

for those that don't realize what i'm talking about, energy retailers are those door to door people that sign you up for a fixed rate contract. the fixed rate is based on forecasts that let the retailer make a profit so you are almost guaranteed to pay more with a contract for example, if the forecasted avg is $0.1055/kWh they might sell it for $0.1144/kWh with the promise that if the floating market rate goes up you won't pay it. sounds like a good deal but generally speaking it's not - if rates are likely to go up, they already forecast it and built it into whatever rate you pay them.

texas fucks with this though because there is no cap on the price in texas on the open market, unlike some other states. retailers may buy some energy in advance but not all of it because then they would make no profit. so every so often a hurricane happens and suddenly 100 energy retailers go bankrupt because they sold power at $0.115/kWh and the hurricane caused the price to spike to $9000/kWh and they sure as gently caress didn't have that in their forecast models. so now they lose like $9000 for every kWh their customers use*

loving lol. eat poo poo parasites.

*i'm simplifying things in this post, different contracts have different terms and structures and smarter companies handle this better but it's absolutely cost major retailers a shitload of money and/or bankrupted them and it owns

yeah those companies love to hit up poorer communities here, they sometimes dress up like they’re an actual utility and ask to see your bill and then sign you up without consent

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/2712-Broadway-Ave_Pittsburgh_PA_15216_M98866-23516

Here, only a cool half million to listen to your neighbors gently caress through the shared drywall.

man I really don’t like new construction

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Ramadu posted:

im the disney vhs tapes

got to show off your vaulted vhs tapes

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

mila kunis posted:

https://twitter.com/PDChina/status/1362688375984168960?s=19

more 👏overland 👏international 👏trade 👏

yeah right now it’s bad, there are 32 vessels off Long Beach waiting to be unloaded. the weather in the USA plus this has had inland rail yards in disarray

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

If one of my customers that have to go through their banks to open letters of credit or whatever to buy dollars to obtain our goods ask if we take bitcoin then maybe i'll take those intl trade articles seriously but as of right now I don't see it.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

samantonio posted:

Anyone remember Microsoft Comic Chat?

I used to hang out in “the palace” in the 90s

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

, but I'm really skeptical that there's any true reserve of unfulfilled consumer demand right now.

it’s all being spent on consumer poo poo right now, there is a reason why I can’t export anything due to the massive import backlog at the ports and dozens of vessels just hanging out waiting to be unloaded and above average empty containers are leaving the USA to get filled in China

also since Vietnam and China got their poo poo together with covid their manufacturing got online a lot earlier

hell, in KC and Chicago where I send containers at the moment , the rail depots have export quotas now that are filled in like 2 hrs, if you can find equipment

maybe after awhile when people pay for experiences again it will be different but these delays are going to be into the late summer definitely

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

I don’t have that visibility but the BNSF and some other railroads just been straight up embargoing some cargo(like agricultural) in addition to export quotas.

everybody that I talk to in our industry are burned out due to this. every week our trade group is like “send a letter to Biden” “ get the fmc involved” like Mayo Pete is going to be equipped to handle this poo poo and lol like any executive of cosco , evergreen, Maersk, etc going to be called up to DC to testify. they would have to be brain dead to get on a plane to congress or agree to a remote hearing. the terminals in USA are just dots on a map. the consolidation of ocean carriers over the past 10 or so years really puts a vice grip on things.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

lol every container I’m trying to get at the BNSF in KC is being shipped back empty

this is so hosed

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

btw I’ve been dealing with this shipping crap for months now , a year ago the issue was lack of vessels or they would skip ports since Asia actually locked down and now for months it’s been that NYT article but they also left out that the railroads are having quotas so i have my truckers waiting days or weeks to turn in loaded cargo

it’s basically hosed Midwest agricultural shippers, some ocean carriers flat out banned agricultural bookings from some Midwest locations for awhile , like hapag Lloyd banned ag out of Minneapolis for awhile couple months ago

would like to go more at length but I am living this nightmare right now and I don’t know how I’ve avoided a panic attack through this since even though my company is not small we’ve understaffed in my field of intl supply chain so it’s been a real awesome year professionally

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

why would they do this

agricultural containers weight a lot more and could displace shipping back empties

when we ship ag it is like in lots of 10-25 containers all weighing the max we can load since it’s sold per ton

we’ve had temporary embargos in Chicago

there is nothing USA can do, there were some shipping act changes under Reagan and Clinton that pretty much allowed carriers to cartel up , I wish I can find citations but it’s what I learned in trade meetings

sonatinas has issued a correction as of 16:29 on Mar 8, 2021

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

my container from hell is affected from
this, due to logistical issues shipping to west africa back in dec(and now) I found a faster service via west coast via China however I got hit with a random inspection at LGB and us customs took like 3 loving weeks to peek in my container so off it went to China to transload to west Africa where it would be going through the suez but lol owned. should have already been there but whatever . rates to Middle East and Africa have been jacked up because that’s where containers go to hang out for awhile since companies like
evergreen can send the empty back to Taiwan or China to get like 10-15k for a box and get it turned 4 times in the same time frame you want to ship to Africa /Middle East.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

depending on what your shipment was declared as that destination is going to get you extra attention. an example most carriers that offer service to West Africa will flag vehicles in containers for inspection by a surveyor. CBP I’m sure does the same.

I mean it sucks. CBP can be real dicks too.

yeah, it’s agricultural but it happens . unless my customer wants to pay a lot more I have to use carriers that take forever to west africa.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

if that fund thinks the future is going to be everyone hustling and being influencers then I guess you are just going to have no friends ever and just only associates

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

oops the link , though i clipped the only funny part anyway https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/housing-bubble-small-towns-1.5973134

lol are Canadian rents high as hell too?

quote:

Canada's housing market is indeed flush with cash at the moment, with the national average selling price hitting an all-time high of $678,091

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Global supply chains are going to be less competitive going forward. The container lines are pulling it in hand over fist now. The cheap container freight party is over.

trucking has gone up so much right now.

Hapag is diverting cargo down to Norfolk due to potential Montreal strike. Chicago is mega congested right now lol. My customers are going to be pissed.

My indian supplier advised how much their container costs now and it's jumped $3k additional to USA. Good loving luck if you want to ship to ME/Africa right now too since carriers are jacking those rates up because containers go there to get lost or take ages to get returned.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

euphronius posted:

the funny thing is selling your house at inflated prices is pointless because your can’t buy a replacement lmao

yeah, like I can sell my house make some money and then I will get outbid by other people on houses who will

waive inspections
pay an appraisal gap
escalate way past my budget

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

house is the biggest value asset people own if they can afford it so number go up

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

DoomTrainPhD posted:

JFC you can waive inspection? That’s just something you can do? You can just tell the government “Nah man, inspecting this house isn’t necessary, it’s cool, no big deal!” and they will go “lol ok!”? What the gently caress.

yeah and it's real bad idea especially in cities where housing stock is mostly pre 1975 homes

i expect a lot of affluent people buying these expensive older holes wondering why their kids got elevated lead levels from the old rear end paint.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

before covid i'd go into some of the local open houses in my neighborhood of 1920s-30s homes and just look at what windows were replaced or old ones painted a lot but still were functional. If they wren't replaced in the past 40 years and painted i would hope they would be soon or you gonna just get this:

https://www.therapidian.org/placematters-grand-rapids-zipcode-49507-sees-40-percent-increase-number-lead-poisoned-children
https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2017/11/lead_poisoning_on_the_rise_in.html

Mine were replaced in the 90s so I felt pretty good about that. I saw a lot that were not. Lots of beautiful wood painted over probably 50+ years ago.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

probably some of the last couple decades of wealth transfers from olds to kids so have some big family help in getting houses.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

I guess how many of these underwater mortgages were on variable rates and got hosed that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

more like good luck finding a chassis for the containers

tomorrow I’ll be in a huge zoom call with exporters to hear the latest in grievances